Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Amarcarts posted:

I was excited about this game until I saw just now that it wasn't going to be the full game. No way in hell am I buying this. Maybe I'll wait 2-3 years until you can get the complete story for 30 bucks

It is the full game of part one or whatever. There's more content and it's all animated. I can understand from the demo why they're doing it like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This poo poo is so loving good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm loving all the time with these characters and the new stuff. It's so much fun.

Also Roche owns.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This game has zero downside it's so good

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Jessie, please. Spanking Wedge's bare rear end was enough. Inviting Cloud to come back to your place so you can "pay him in full" (airquotes are hers, not mine!) is just... :stonk:

Cloud is so Japanese.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

i must compose posted:

So will this be 60fps on pro?

No.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Holy poo poo... Everything about wall market is insane and beautiful.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've lost to THE HELL HOUSE twice and I don't even care

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Legin Noslen posted:

Nah, yeah, your prime minister is a smart guy.
*pan to the smoldering wreckage that is Australia*

No but seriously you guys have been through a lot, you deserve a treat. :)

What smouldering wreckage? Our quality of life is superb and corona is looking alright so far.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Oh the smouldering wreckage of the fires which is basically nothing now that we are doing corona. Ok.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Onmi posted:

So Hard Mode is unlocked after clearing the game, I've seen some people complain about that. Hard Mode prevents the usage of items or healing outside of rest spots. Probably for the best you make people not play with that.

The game is not easy and that sounds like a loving nightmare. It also sounds like it bans item builds which doesn't seem fun at all since they can be extremely funny.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

Man I'm not very far at all but I'm really incredibly impressed with the level of detail and fidelity of the initial slums around seventh heaven, it is actually beyond anything I've seen in a JRPG before. They created quite a vibe with the lighting in both the night time and the early morning.

I sit and stare at things from different angles. I don't know how they've done the assets for the game but it looks like a backdrop from FF7 no matter the angle. So impressive. I feel like I'm ripping through the game but I still take ten minute to just go from street to street and check out every unique detail. It's just great.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

lol you fight the hell house? that's hilarious

It's beyond good too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don't watch the trailer. I haven't watched it and the game is better with no knowledge. I'll probably finish it today or tomorrow because I'm locked in the house lol.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

And all so you can get on a loving boat. That's the kind of thing I can see getting gutted or massively changed in the sequels, when all the tight storytelling of Midgar is over and you're just kind of meandering around the world hoping to bump into Sephiroth.

Yeah idk and I am concerned about how they're going to manage the later world map parts of the game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Coliseum is off its gourd. That's my favourite part so far and I'm about to head into Shinra HQ.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pennfalath posted:

In Chapter 3. Loving it so far.

Side quests are pretty meh, and extra side aereas in the slums are boring.

Chapter 1/2 were phenomenal, though. The atmosphere in ch2 especially.

The side quests never get "good" but the combat is so much fun I don't care. I'm in the endgame now (I guess) and I loving love this. The quality of the mainline never wavers and I'd say it just gets better as you go.

E: actually the side quests deliver some great battles

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Son of Rodney posted:

The only thing I'd like to know is how long the game really is in the end. Midgar is a big part of the first game but 50 hours or whatever is being said sounds a bit far fetched to me.

I've been playing for 35 hours. It's fully voiced and well realised.

For reference I'm up to Hojo's lab

E: it's enough cutscenes that my gf go invested and watched nearly five hours before realising and saying something like "gently caress I need to go to bed this is like a movie that doesn't end".

JBP fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 4, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

PancakeTransmission posted:

Agreed. Persona 5 took me 120 hours to beat, I was trying to get all trophies in one playthrough and I hosed it up and need to replay. That will never happen. I enjoyed the game but started to feel like a slog by the end.

But based on my current FF7R playthrough, I won't be replaying to get the (difficulty based) achievements here. There's a couple of bosses so far that have had me using all my items, literally down to the last phoenix down and mega potion. I guess I'm just bad at this game, but I don't wanna bump it to Easy unless I have no choice.

I guess I'm just missing something (a brain?) because I was able to kill one boss without issue (figure out pattern etc) but then the next one just keeps killing me. Maybe I'm underlevelled because I haven't done any grinding at all but based on a few events, it feels like I should be higher level.

You've got to use assess on everything and a lot of bosses have windows for weak spot attacks. The best thing to do in 75% of boss fights is to make sure you charge up everyone's ATB and exercise a bit of patience. Once you get barrier and the all materia whatever it's called that's always a good start to any fight. I usually leave it on Barret so he can charge quick at range then drop a barrier and assess.

Your active guy gets the brunt of attacks so using Cloud to block and run around while you wait on opportunities is useful.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I finished the game. I'm very confused but it's a hard 9.0 for me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The party composition is always mandatory, but does not always include Cloud. Haven't done any post game yet so I'll see what changes there.

The party members you get are (spoilers here if you don't want to know!!!!!! I'm sure this isn't big news but anyway) Cloud, Barret, Tifa and Aerith. Red 13 joins the party as a guest but he is not controllable.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I mean it is also 100% accurate to the original game. You don't actually get the ability to swap your party until you leave Midgar.

Exactly. The entire game from start to finish is narrative. There's no space for tooling around with your party composition.

The menu game is deep and fun though. Loads of customising, loads of materia. Outside of a few nitpicks like camera issues the battles are wonderful. I encountered one bug in a fight for the entire game and I reckon that's pretty outstanding.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 5, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Framboise posted:

For real. I got Dragon Quest XI S and Fire Emblem Three Houses for Christmas and haven't even touched them yet, knowing how very long they are. (I played DQXI on PS4 already and while it's one of my new all-time favorite games ever, it's SO LONG)... and I just got Persona 5 Royal too.

40 hours for a JRPG is absolutely merciful.

(also I've sunk at least 80 hours into animal crossing too with little sign of stopping so that's a thing too)

Three Houses isn't insanely long if you just pick a house and play it once. I recommend Golden Deer.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mailer posted:

Three Houses on a single playthrough is around 80 hours. There's a lot of padding in there. I don't know yet but I suspect I'm not going to be happy with 35 hours if most of that is padding.

It's not

Mailer posted:

Three Houses on a single playthrough is around 80 hours. There's a lot of padding in there. I don't know yet but I suspect I'm not going to be happy with 35 hours if most of that is padding.

It really isn't. I did Blue Lions in about 40 because you can automate basically everything and not bother doing busy poo poo at the school if you don't really want to. Thirty hours of junk is pretty much optional.

JBP fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 5, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

McTimmy posted:

Maybe not 500 hour good but hey, few things are.

I honestly reckon this will be a 100 hour for me. I'm already excited to replay every chapter on hard and watch the cutscenes again. It's a gorgeous game and I feel like my combat stuff is really going to open up now since I've got loads of materia and AP. Can't wait to come up with some fun builds.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think I died four times (all in the mid game), but every boss battle felt genuinely tough and I was using raise pretty frequently until I found all materia. Like yelling at the tv and analysing your action menu saying "I don't know how we're going to get out of this one Barret" difficulty.

Sapozhnik posted:

I don't know if it gets old/annoying in the full game but that slow-motion effect during command selection is fantastic with all the particles and debris flying around in battle.

It never gets old. It looks amazing and there are other musical touches to it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Someone got angry at me because I thought it was good that there was a wide variety of materia available in Midgar and that you didn't have to grind.

Like... really angry.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

zakharov posted:

I mean, go back a few dozen pages ITT for some extreme pessimism.

Yeah because if the thing is good you can feel the pessimism being washed away in an awesome wave while you also enjoy the game

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I felt like Aeris was just important to Cloud because she was really the one that cracked him and gave him a path forward. Sephiroth took that away from him. He just wants the hopefulness back in his life.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm trying to work out where they go with this game next and now that I'm thinking about the next parts of the game and then the subsequent poo poo I'm cackling like an rear end in a top hat. There's no way to screw this up after this game. Just go crazy this IP can withstand anything.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

grieving for Gandalf posted:

take heed this is not the spoiler thread but i'm with you pal

I know. I don't think there's any spoilers in my post for this game. It ends and there's a lot of insane bullshit after Midgar that's flooding back to me thanks to Aeris/Tifa chat.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I fuckin love me some Balthier and Fran. God I'd play the hell out of a beautifully upgraded FF12 it's a great game that gets let down a bit by it's age.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Framboise posted:

That exists, it's called The Zodiac Age and it was released not too long ago.

It's still ugly

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

the only issue with FF12 is that it's actually a MMO and the only way to play it without going insane is with 8x combat speed the entire time.

I played it when it came out and never finished it. It was just so loving long. I'm really thankful for Zodiac Age letting you speed through all of that stuff. I haven't played XIII because it gets such mixed reviews but I honestly don't mind linear games so I should give it a try. I'm just a bit wary that you apparently don't see the combat options open up for a very long time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Quek posted:

Anyone with early access know how easily saves are handled? My wife and I both want to be playing through simultaneously and I know some modern games aren't friendly to that.

Do you not have separate PS4 logins? You can manually save anywhere you like but I don't know if it will cause problems with the game taking it as all being done by one person.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The only way to make Vincent good this go round is to absolutely ham up his emo side and have him flick his hair and pout constantly

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dandywalken posted:

If this doesn't come to PC eventually then I'll have no choice but to scream

I think it's 12 month exclusive

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I realized that Kingdom Hearts 3 didn't get ported, actually.

Probably not a priority :pcgaming: title anyway

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm actually really excited to try Hard Mode on this because the combat seems well-suited to making an actually challenging FF game. I hope they end up adding a bunch of optional Superbosses and stuff - seems like a perfect opportunity to slow-drip DLC to take some of the sting off of the wait time for Part II.

Hard is great. Some bosses have new moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mailer posted:

That's pretty much the entire combat system. There's a thing that works or doesn't work but you don't know what it is or what activated it unless you read a wiki or play through the fight enough times to figure it out by process of elimination.

What the gently caress are you talking about. Just use assess.