Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

zakharov posted:

I can't believe Nomura is going to turn back the clock to 1997 so we're all 12 and our biggest worry in life is math homework.

I have class late tonight :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
If you care about portability but don't have a Switch but do have a PSP (which I'm sure applies to more than just me) the PSP downloadable version is also quite good.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

precision posted:

I forgot how crazy OP you get in the original. I'm not grinding at all and everyone is level 40-ish at the Sleeping Forest, and none of the fights so far have been remotely hard. The only time I've summoned Bahamut was just to see what it looked like at 3x speed

I mean, that is a tad over-leveled; I'm usually in the high 30's, early 40's at the final boss, at least when I'm skipping content, and I don't really run from random battles.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

blue mage is one of those where it's cool in theory but basically every implementation of it blows

Blue Mage wrecks shop in FFV, and Enemy Skill breaks FFVII's meager challenge on its knee.

Every other implementation does suck quite a bit though.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I didn't understand FF13's battle system at all until I had beaten it and started FF13-2. I don't think I used Sentinels once when I beat the first game.

Needless to say I struggled very badly in that game.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I had always heard it described as Sephiroth projecting his will/image onto various other failed clones (you know, the numbers, the black cloaks, the "this guy are sick" mumbling) in order to precipitate the Reunion.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

DO IT TO IT posted:

Yeah, it seems like the thrust move Cloud has in the demo is unique to the buster sword.

I wonder if weapons then will be straight damage upgrades or something like they did with Kingdom Hearts 3 where every weapon is viable and what matters is the abilities/your preferred playstyle.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Sneak Lemming posted:

Is Crisis Core or Dirge of Cerberus (or before crisis) worth playing?

Crisis Core is pretty solid, although it's choc-a-bloc with pretty dull filler.

I liked Dirge of Cerberus but I'm also definitely the only one; the plot and characters are ridiculous but I thought the gameplay was kinda fun.

Neither are really worth if all you care about is story or world-building, though.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Crisis Core is alright, especially once you figure out leveling is not as random as it wants to pretend.

OMFG I forgot all about the whole slot machine thing.

...Why did we all agree to accept that this was okay?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I imagine Dirge will be culled from to provide more backstory/characterization for Hojo and Lucrecia, but probably not much beyond that? Maybe an Omega reference?

I would guess that we get more fleshing out of Sephiroth's backstory too, which means we'll get a little more Angeal and Gackt (Angeal is just Gladio but knows how to button up a shirt)

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
All FF7 mini games are amazing (except CPR)

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

esperterra posted:

Half the fun is naming him Nanaki, the comedy comes from him correcting everyone that his name has indeed been Nanaki this whole time.

Just like naming Edgar Gerad in FFVI

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I prefer to keep default names, most of the time as well. I only recently started changing character names once I (a) started doing pokemon nuzlocke runs and then (b) transitioned

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

MonsieurChoc posted:

Finished Disc One. Left the Wutai sidequest for when I control Tifa, just like when I was a kid. Got Cosmo Memory, but is it me or is Stardust Ray Nanaki's best Limit?

It is his objectively best limit break, and being only Level 2 it charges way faster as well. It also comes with Blood Fang, which is situationally more useful than Howling Moon (though both are pretty :discourse:)

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I have often said that Nomura designs plots with the same sensibilities that he designs character outfits.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

ItBreathes posted:

Calling it now, inside clouds mind will be a mobile tie-in. It will cover new, plot relevant information later games will expect you to know.

This isn't Kingdom Hearts...

NikkolasKing posted:

Make it Cloud narrating things in a chair and I'll actually buy the remake.

This isn't Xenogears...

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Schwartzcough posted:

It would actually be kind of awesome if the Gold Saucer had a bunch of FF minigames emulated in it. Chocobo Hot & Cold, Blitzball (for the weirdos that like it), XV fishing... LeBlanc massaging.

Hell yeah, Drownball was my jam!

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kheldarn posted:

Looks like a variation of the Battle Square is coming to Wall Market

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1240292123116572673

Curious if that means it's something we'll be able to return to throughout the game.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Elephant Ambush posted:

How is that even possible?

Attack items? Cursed Ring + Powersoul? Cait Sith's limit breaks?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
IIRC FF7 is one of those weird few FF games where bosses give experience points

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Vanrushal posted:

6 also does not give XP for killing bosses.

Same with 5

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kith posted:

By your description, it's actually nothing like Kingdom Hearts. Kingdom Hearts, at its core, is very much a brawler - the vast majority of the gameplay and strategy is focused on hitting things repeatedly in various ways.

My guess is that they're talking about Kingdom Hearts at higher difficulties; on default yes it is very much "mash X (and sometimes Ä) to win"

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

esperterra posted:

IX is practically perfect in every single way. It and VI should be left alone.

I mean you could make the battles move a lot faster.

You could also make the WoR not suck but that's just my two cents hot take

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

esperterra posted:

Also WoR owns.

If by "owns" you mean "destroys all the pacing and character interaction that made the WoB so excellent" then sure

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
WoR for me is much better in concept than I'm execution. FFVI is, conceptually, about the strength of community. So turning the game into Celes building the party back up to take down Kefka together (while everyone else has either given up, moved on, or decided they were going to do poo poo on their own) was a good decision. The non-linearity combined with the cart limitations ruined it, though.

So while yes, some characters do get interesting (if optional) moments and some of them even get real character development, the problem is it all happens in isolation. Every character does their thing essentially on their own, which is not only so much less interesting and engaging but also actively contradictory to the game's main theme.

Sabin gets, I think, maybe one line in the entire Gerad saga, if that. That, I think, is emblematic of the problem with the WoR.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Schwartzcough posted:

I mean, I think that's the point.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Remake Vagrant Story with motion controls

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

exquisite tea posted:

A modern JRPG with a runtime of only 40 hours is a mercy.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
My biggest worry is that they'll forget that Aerith is the Veronica and Tifa is the Betty.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Nomura posted:

That's also the reason Mickey is in only one scene in Kingdom Hearts 1. At the same time, another company was releasing a game that had to do with Mickey, so though we were denied his usage, we persisted and eventually got "as long as you only have one scene, from far away, as a silhouette, with him waving his hand or something". Since we had to make the best of the biggest [and only] chance we had, that's why that scene appears that way."

And we only had to wait two decades to learn why he wasn't wearing a shirt

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I imagine it will more clearly show what is actually happening, which is Sephiroth/Jenova highjacking Cloud's body to attack Aerith.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Oxxidation posted:

all of which are wrong, because the plain fact is that right after tifa pulls cloud's fat out of the fire, his first thoughts are still with aeris

this is not a shipping thing! cloud is explicitly, constantly more infatuated with aeris than tifa despite the latter stepping up and helping him through crisis after crisis after the former's death, and tifa still stands by him anyway because she's pathologically co-dependent and doesn't care what kind of life she lives as long as cloud's in it. they are damaged people, just as humanity is a damaged race, which is why right up until its very last shot the game posits the question of whether we're actually worth saving

I mean, sure, the party all has some psychology damage, but you spend most of the game healing those wounds. The game's central thesis is that humanity is definitely worth saving; this is why Aerith saves everyone at the end.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kith posted:

Not really? He's a magic dog from Cosmo Canyon that Hojo found and went "oh sick". It's implied that he wasn't in captivity for that long.

Yeah, Nanaki's psychological damage has everything to do with nobody bothering to tell him how his father died and his simmering resentment over the abandonment as a result.

Barrett confronts the ghosts of his past, Yuffie reconciles with her dad; Nanaki gets to do both! (literally, in the case of the ghosts)

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Vincent's backstory is tied pretty directly to Sephiroth's which makes it pretty important, though that was back when Square thought it was okay to make villain backstory optional and missible <shakes fist at the one nameless NPC in the bar in upper Vector who becomes inaccessible the moment you enter the Magitech Factory>

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

No Wave posted:

I don't see that as evidence that she's obsessed with him. She's not sure about her own memories, the whole thing is this giant question mark that ruined her life in the most bloody way possible and she has no idea what really happened. She's careful around Cloud about it in general but when she gets an opportunity to learn more (by confirming that Cloud is crazy) she can't help but confirm what she knows.

The resolution in the lifestream does as much for her as it does for Cloud. It doesnt change the fundamental facts of Sephiroth showing up and killing everyone but at least she gets to make sense of it all.

This. Tifa doesn't ignore the differences between their respective stories because she's too obsessed with Cloud to care. She ignores it because she's so lacking in self-confidence that she doesn't think she can believe her own memories. And she knows that Cloud's psyche is fragile (more than anyone else, considering the state she first found him in) and isn't confident enough in her own recollections to risk breaking his mind further to try to reconcile the differences. Especially since there's a ton that Cloud gets right and shouldn't be able to know if he wasn't there, and as far as Tifa knows he wasn't, which is even more of a mindfuck for her.

Mostly Tifa doesn't trust herself because she's totally the Betty

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

new kind of cat posted:

I thought he was so cool he was always in my final party along with Cid lol

I usually rolled with Vincent and Yuffie because I liked their limit breaks.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

zakharov posted:

Does the EU ever explain why Red's grandpa is a humanoid who can fly? Or did I miss something?

He sits on a floating orb thingy.

e: It's clearer in Before Crisis:

Ace Transmuter fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 7, 2020

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Definitely not, you can buy pretty much every KH game on the PSN store

Also there are KH browser/mobile games

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Vince MechMahon posted:

Is there a good video let's play of the original game? My qualifications for good are at least two people doing it so they can talk during down times, the person playing is very good at it, it's a complete run through where they do all the stuff, and the people doing it aren't obnoxious. Think chip cheezum and ironicus as an example. Anyone know of anything like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VjM-Clru8I

SA's own Good Friends did a fantastic playthrough of this (and every previous Final Fantasy) a while back. Sadly they burned out FFT and subsequently FF8 shortly after.

Been listening to Hollow all morning on loop and it's still getting me pumped every time, I'm trying to be patient because my copy doesn't come til Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Squeenix: Hey good news we got rid of all the terrible gay jokes and replaced them with some pretty awesome genderqueer empowerment poo poo.
Me: That rules, great job Squ-
Squeenix: We added even more fat jokes instead
Me: :bang: