Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I'm going to borrow a friends PS4 and buy this game to play on it. Does that work? Can we still throw a game into a console and play them? Or do I need his account login credentials and the game gets locked so his account?

I haven't owned a console since the Dreamcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Biggs reminds me way too much of Charlie Sheen from Hot Shots 2.

Also what's the timeline to finish this story if a full game gets us like 10% of the original FF7?

Is the next release going to be in 3 years and get us to Juno? :v:

Katt fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 1, 2020

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I admit I literally forgot Cait Sith existed.

Caith Sith? More like Iscar Matthias.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I guess I haven't played jrpgs for a while but I find the storytelling a bit heavy handed at times. Like you can have Heidegger be dismissive of troop losses without him doing a drawn out monologue of how little the troops mean to him.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Veib posted:

Right actor, wrong movie:

That was Charlie Sheen? I always thought it was Michael Jay Fox who starred in that.

Granted I haven't seen that movie in like 25 years.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Sadly not feeling this game at the moment. Which is a shame considering how long I've wanted it to become a reality. The combat is kind of a mess and I don't even feel like wasting MP on attack spells when MP sees better spent on cures and then fighting with abilities.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

stev posted:

Just use MP to exploit weaknesses and fill the stagger bar.

Then the boss finally reaches max stagger and I'm like "time to give it all we got!" and the game activates a cutscene and when it ends the boss has zero stagger :v:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Maybe I'm just more of a turn based player at heart.

I found many boss fights to be pretty alright. When I die it's mainly to some random stuff like 2 missile turrets who synch up a missile volley and one shot Cloud

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Dell_Zincht posted:

Try playing on Classic mode. There's very little challenge in any fight but you still get to enjoy the game's story.

I heard that turns the game into a lets play that you have to push buttons to watch :v:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Crispin Freeman used his Alucard voice for Rude in advent of children so I was disappointed to see they didn't use him for that in the remake. Though I think I heard the Alucard voice from Shinra soldiers every now and then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Di6Ew-0G8w

Also John Dimaggio bringing his smiling Jack voice for Heidegger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aa8B7hIynE

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I bought a PS4 just for this game and I lost interest about after the church scene.

It has the characters of FF7 and the story is vaguely in that direction but this game pushes none of the buttons that made me love that original game.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Proteus Jones posted:

The game isn't for everyone, but how does it feel to have basically spent $350+ for a video game you didn't like?

The same as all other PS4 owners I imagine but I spent less in total. :v:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I also felt the Reno scene was kind of odd. In the original game you fight him with 3 people and it's a struggle at that and you don't even really beat him.

In the remake. Cloud demonstrably beats the poo poo out of Reno all alone during their first encounter with little effort and so Reno and the turks look like of weak.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Gologle posted:

The Turks ARE weak.

They're not supposed to be! You're supposed to outgrow them as the story progresses.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Mulva posted:

We've already outgrown that story.

Hey no spoilers. One year I'll finish this stupid game. Once they patch in the fun.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Sapozhnik posted:

What would you consider to be a fun FFVIIR? Genuinely curious here, the thread is more interesting when it isn't just everybody agreeing with each other about the things in the game that they like

Turn based combat system. A materia system closer to the original. Battles more organized and not such clusterfucks of flailing limbs and flying rockets.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Maybe it's because I haven't played a Final Fantasy game since 8 and I hated 8 for not being as good as 7 :v:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

What was your favorite part about 8? Watching those GF animations ten thousand times or being limited to basic attacks because all the good spells were needed for junctions.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Zarin posted:

This post legit makes me sad, I'm sorry :(

To a couple of the points, what difficulty were you playing on? I feel like the combat was very much a long, looooong learning curve, which may have something to do with it. I recall being frustrated through the first 2/3rds of the game until something just sorta clicked and the major annoyances went away. (I'm not sure if it was unlocking more materia, slots, or if I just actually finally learned something, despite my best efforts :v: )

As for Reno, good on you for smashing him; he was the first boss that I had to retry, and I had to redo the fight like 4 times to get it right.

I started with the normal difficulty which lasted up until rocket turrets started combo hitting characters for 100% of their HP in 1 second out of nowhere. I switched to easy which turned the game into a lets play of FF7R but where you had to mash buttons to progress.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Which chapter was this happening?

Not to doubt you or anything but my big problem with rocket turrets was how they could suddenly blindside you in the middle of a casting animation and just waste your atb, which yeah was extremely annoying but they weren't particularly huge damage threats even when they'd chain a bunch of shots at the same character.

In the second reactor I think? One rocket would do something like 40% of a characters HP per hit and some fights had multiple ones targeting the same player.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Also that thing where I build stagger on a boss and I'm like "Once I reach max stagger I'm going to blow all cooldowns to kick your rear end"

Then you reach max stagger and the boss is like "lol next phase" and instantly sets the stagger bar back to zero. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

in most cases that's intentional, the stagger gauge on some bosses is basically the next phase trigger

A-yupp-yupp. Sucks for me though because I intentionally held all my strongest stuff back while meticulously working that stagger bar.

It's like Skies of Arcadia when you set up all your torpedoes, turrets and cannons to all hit in the vulnerable phase together with an attack-up buff on.

Granted Skies of Arcadia had a different issue that each ship had a super weapon that one shotted enemy ships after a few turns and so you mostly waited for it to be ready to instantly blow up the enemy. The alternative was hitting the enemy with guns and torpedoes for 6 turns and then watch the super weapon unlock at 10% HP.