Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nearly everything about this game is so drat good, holy poo poo. Still sidequesting through chapter 14 so I haven't seen it all but it has been great so far. My main issue is that my instinct is to go full agro and button mash attacks, and most of the time that is a bad idea. Once I started rapidly swapping between characters things started working a lot better. It also took me way too long to realize that you're supposed to hold down attack for Barret rather than mash it, and once I realized I was doing that wrong he became almost as fun as Tifa to play as.

I had a bunch of close shaves on boss fights, but embarrassingly my only actual game over was the third time you run into Burke's Badasses, when they bring in Mongo as their clincher. If he manages to grab you it does a stupid amount of damage and Cloud was solo at the time so welp.

The Honeybee Inn sequence is outstanding, the music is great, the VA work is great though I don't care for Sephiroth, and thankfully I haven't even had any of the texture streaming issues that some people have experienced. I was not expecting this to turn out nearly as well as it did but I'm sure glad they pulled it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I dunno, at least the first couple of times it comes up Sephiroth's VA sounds kinda... like a regular guy? He just seems way too level and calm compared to how he looks and what he's saying.

I also really like how conflicted the game has me feeling about Rude. I want to cheer him on because he practically bleeds cool out of every pore despite his dorky crush on Tifa but come on bro you don't get to say things like "I'm not a bad person, but sometimes I do bad things" when you run over to push a button that you know will murder thousands of people.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

zakharov posted:

Game beaten! I don't know why people are mad about the ending????

There's a lot of neckbeard purists on the Internet who wanted nothing short of a 1 for 1 re-creation of FF7 with HD graphics, and they want everybody to know how mad they are that this game isn't what they thought it would be. Even though I personally liked it though there's still room for some reasonable criticism about how it plays out.

I stayed up way too late last night and finished chapter 18, and things really do go off the rails near the end. Aerith's speech saying how Sephiroth is the real threat to the planet fell kind of flat since at no point did anybody attempt to explain his deal. A lot of other inconsistencies are covered by "you, the player, know this isn't how the story went" though. The implication is that somehow Sephiroth found a way to defy the narrative itself and this is even worse for everyone than his plan from the original game.

I never actually played Crisis Core so the cutscene with Zack confused me at first, but it looks like the party punching Destiny in the face has caused Zack to retroactively survive. This just makes me think it's even more likely that the quarter century old prophecy of the one weird trick to stop Aeris from dying will actually become real in FF7/Rebuild or FF7/Reunion and the plot will go completely mental in the process. Well, moreso than it already has.

Giving several characters mouths that are slightly too big and rubbery kind of works, but it was amazing for making Hojo a seriously creepy motherfucker.

And can we please ban Nomura from the part of the office where the character designers work? Rufus' outfit is a goddamned travesty.

I'm feeling leery about starting on hard mode since I struggled a lot on many fights even with heavy item and MP use, but I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you complete everything it should be right at the end of Ch. 14, not at the start.

Any hints on the exact location it appears at? I didn't see it either on my run and I definitely did every sidequest other than the ones in chapter 14 that are mutually exclusive.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The opening of FFX is probably the most iconic and memorable scene in the entire franchise aside from, well, Aeris Dies.

But beyond that it combined some really high production values for the time with a great soundtrack and a relatively unique setting. The combat system was about as good as any JRPG has ever been. The star-crossed lovers plot and Shyamalan-esque reversal near the end wasn't everybody's cup of tea but it ultimately helped the game stand out that much more.

The only thing I am still mad about is that loving Seymore fight on Mount Gagazet. Oh, you haven't fully mastered the fight system because nothing in the game to this point has needed you to? gently caress you, game over. By the way it's still game over unless you come back with exactly the right equipment to avoid instant death! OK ok I am also still slightly mad about how BS the chocobo race is. And I guess the amount of grinding you need to do in international edition in order to not be instantly curb stomped by the dark aeons once they show up?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Man, Bahamut is kind of ridiculous. I think I only managed to even pressure him once, and I'm not sure if I'd be better off with Magnify on Healing or Barrier.

And stuff it Chadley, it's your own fault for going overboard.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The only time in the entire game I have reduced the difficulty to Easy was to get the bike game trophy because I got tired of replaying an 8 minute long section just to have Jessie poo poo talk my driving again. :arghfist::saddowns:

Also I stumbled across a thing that I wasn't aware of: if you're in a cutscene that transitions directly into a fight, holding down square will cause the menu to open up after the cutscene so you can adjust equipment before the fight starts.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Finally took out Bahamut in a nailbiter. Tifa had LB ready but got taken out, Bahamut had already counted down to 1 and had a mostly full stagger bar, so it was a race to wake Tifa up and heal her enough to survive the damage AoE and charge in to Dolphin Kick before Megaflare started. Made it just in time to interrupt Megaflare and save the day.

Hard mode on the early chapters hasn't been as bad as I thought it might, but that mission doggo in chapter 3 was a beast and the thugs at the end of chapter 3 actually beat me once. Dang anti-stagger potions.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Although for maximum chaos they should call the next part Final Fantasy VIII Remake.

The game plays out exactly as the original FFVIII does to the point where Balamb Garden takes off, then the screen pans over to Cloud and Tifa looking very confused. Aerith is busy wrecking Barrett at Triple Triad.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Phenotype posted:

So for hard mode, you have to complete an entire chapter with one load of MP? No items, and benches don't refill it? How does that work, especially if stuff is dealing more damage in general? Some of those dungeons are really long!

It helps to equip weapons that have the +50% MP recharge upgrade. As long as you aren't blowing spells left and right until the final boss for a chapter or throwing -aga spells out when you don't need to, passive MP regen and crates will cover you.

The actual hardest thing in the game is the drat lever minigame in Chapter 7. The timing window is tiny and Tifa's countdown isn't an accurate tell for when you have to actually push the sticks, then Barret bitches you out even if he's the one that screwed up more.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I dunno, the sidequest monsters in hardmode chapter 8 are kicking my rear end even at 50 with a bunch of materia maxed out.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vanrushal posted:

I did it on normal (on a replay, not first time :v:), [spoiler]
I'm not gonna claim it's impossible on hard but when I tried it the other bike went down and then I died during the boss. I thought I had a better idea of what to expect but that poo poo was brutal, and Wedge's bike takes so much damage.

Hard does seem to give you more leeway. I ran it once just to see it, and I got the middle "you passed but barely" result when I ended at like 40% HP which would have been a fail on Normal or Easy.

NGL I picked up that trophy on Easy because I got sick of trying to do it on Normal. The only time I have had to lower the difficulty. :negative:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

cast charged tempest more :shopkeeper:

Charged Tempest doesn't seem to really do enough extra damage to justify the charge time? Maybe I don't quite get it but it seems really lame compared to the other triangle abilities.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hard mode Hell House sure is a thing. :stare:

And I have to do this fight a second time to get all the manuscripts from chapter 9.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Proteus Jones posted:

Those tonberries that it belches out? Yeah kill them immediately

Yeah, that was an immediate "Use Infinity's End here" moment. And luckily I tossed a Planet's Protection immediately before the other surprise guests arrived.

I appreciate that Scotch both recognizes and remarks upon Bahamut showing up mid-fight.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

stev posted:

Ignoring Roche I see.

Roche works because he's in a standard Class-C SOLDIER outfit, but also happens to be rocking a power mullet which gives him +1,000,000% personality.

I think at some point Nomura just fell into the trap of designing outfits that he thinks would look cool if he was personally wearing them, and also if he was permanently 17 years old.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You know what feels good? Unloading a Catastrophe on hard mode Abzu and pals right as phase 3 starts, and causing so much mayhem that Barret's limit break bar is immediately charged up again. :hellyeah:

Gologle posted:

In 2015, the promise was made. Now, in 2020, has the promise been fulfilled? Has FF7R, Part One of ???, met your expectations gamers?

So much better than I expected it to turn out years ago when they first announced it.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 6, 2020

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

What the actual gently caress is going on with Shiva in the last simulator mission? She's spamming Frost Familiar which basically makes her immortal, and nothing I do makes them go away so that I can hit her with fire.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

As is the usual thing, complaining on the internet means I beat it the next try. And somehow one-shot all the rest too despite all the revival earrings breaking early. Almost started to run out of mp right at the end.

Cloud's response to Chadley's denoument just about sums up my feelings too.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pulcinella posted:

I wish there were more enemy skills to learn in the remake.

It's kind of disappointing since I hardly ever used the Enemy Skill materia at all. The ice aura has some utility when you're swarmed by beasts that are vulnerable to ice. Bad Breath is the real winner and is effective on nearly everything including a lot of bosses, but by the time I got it I was more or less done with the game anyway.

It's pretty funny putting Malboro to sleep with it's own attack. I only know this because on my first pass it went berserk and wiped me when I had it down to about 2% of its health.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A clear of the final VR mission in less than 2 minutes. For the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS0g0MSmH1I

Jesus Christ. It took me like 30 minutes.

Granted that was one un-optimized run but still. I guess hard mode trained me too hard to never use -aga spells.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Levantine posted:

I think the "twist" will be that (spoilers for a 20 year old game) They have to ensure she dies. Sephiroth is clearly time looping with knowledge from his future self and the only way they can really fight that is for Aerith to do the same. They would not have stopped him the first time around without Aerith directing the lifesteam (I think). My bet is they have a chance to prevent it but have to go through with it because it's the only way to prevent the bad future.

So the trolley problem but Sephiroth installed the switch and the track Aerith isn't tied to has the planet tied to it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

We get to Costa del Sol and Roche is there at the beach. Also his motorcycle is there with its own beach blanket.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The download is live and so is the Yuffie DLC. The only reason I haven't clicked the DLC yet is because the only available version says (Chinese / Korean version) at the end and I'm not sure if that means there's a separate English version that just hasn't gone live yet or what. :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rand Brittain posted:

Looks like the PS4 upgrade isn't available yet.

It is, I already downloaded and installed it. Took me a sec though since there's a bunch of options listed on the ... button for FF7R on the game page and you only get the download button if you click the right one.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

What sort of fps does Intergrade pull if you set graphics to optimize for 4K rather than for 60fps?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ah well. Not like that is unplayable but still.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I guess I don't get Yuffie's kit because I'm getting my rear end handed to me. Though maybe it's partially my fault for bumbling right into Ramuh before even getting some minions to take hits for me. And also Ramuh seems to expect you to dodge most of his attacks rather than blocking, which is not how I remember the main game going.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Is the last move in the ninjutsu combo short range? Because it seems to keep whiffing and it's super easy to just waste time doing it by holding in the button.

Also gently caress you game for sticking me in a tiny room with two venomantises with way too much HP.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Am I right in assuming the 4 AP units in Fort Condor are a trap? I've only gone through the rank 1 opponents so far but it seems like being able to throw out lots of cheap units is much more effective than a few expensive ones most of the time.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's funny to me that they'd have a minigame get beefed up by the general difficulty setting.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Requiring an absolutely flawless run on the boxes is really, really obnoxious. I don't even know what I'm supposed to do to consistently kill the 1500 box at at the end of the walkway, or get AP to regen fast enough to not leave me with dead time or waste 10 seconds back tracking to a box I left behind because I didn't have AP for it earlier.

I loving hate having to look up YouTube videos for "correct" solutions to puzzles but Christ this is stupid.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Well the good thing is, Square seems to be making sacrificial final fantasy spinoffs to suck all the lovely Nomurageneric stuff away from their prized VII line

I mean, it's already too late given that Ultimate Edgelord and Un-ironic "nothing personnel" Meme Guy are already in FF7R with this DLC. I guess it remains to be seen if they show up at all in part two but I appreciate that Yuffie's reaction to encountering them is "what the gently caress is wrong with this company?"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

At least we already beat up the three weirdos from Advent Children in chapter 18 and they will never show up again. Ever.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Wait so the continuity cop ghosts in FF7R are actually from the cliffhanger ending of the FF7 Extended Universe game that nobody played and was never followed up on?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Was just curious since at least one point the ghosts are referred to as "arbiters of fate" in game.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm just impressed that not only did they add a dude named Zhije, everybody pronounces it correctly in game.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

History Comes Inside! posted:

The question then becomes if it’s all one timeline and Zack is still alive after Cloud leaves him why do they both have the Buster Sword, possibly because timelines have been merged or some other bullshit?

But either way it’s video games and anything can happen because they aren’t real life, so who knows.

If it's a merged timeline that alive Zack is now part of, he's definitely gonna go chasing after the team and meet up with them at the most awkward moment possible.

Say, exactly as Cloud manages to Save Aerith, accidentally causing a distraction that Un-Saves Aerith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Just mod in Roche as a replacement for Cloud.