Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

khy posted:

I have a FF7 non-remake question for you all.

Soooo after playing through the first part of the game it left me wanting to reunite with my favorite character, Cid. Because he's just the best and you'll never convince me otherwise.

I've decided to reinstall FF7 on my PC, just wondering what the best possible graphics mods out there are? I know there's no way it'll ever come even remotely close to the graphics of the remake, but I've heard we may be anywhere from 2-3 years out for the next part so I'll take whatever I can get for now.

I don't remember what they were called, but a YouTuber named Maximilian Dood did a playthrough with a bunch of mods in anticipation of FF7R. You should check out his videos to see what her used. Some helped the graphics, but some did a really cool overhaul of the combat system where each character had a unique mechanic in combat, almost like what you have in Remake with Punisher Mode and Overcharge and whatnot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Anyone know the best place to farm AP for endgame materia leveling? A lot of gaming sites say the High Flyers fight in the battle arena, but that costs 400 gil every time. I saw people on reddit mention an even better spot out in the actual game world that you can hit up for free and has a better AP return, but I have completely forgotten what it was.

Also, apparently you get weapon skill books for beating bosses in hard mode, maybe? I finished Ch. 1 hard mode and Barret got a Sharpshooter's Manual from the Scorpion Tank. Anyone got any more insight on that mechanic?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

khy posted:

The single biggest downside to the remake is the fact that it leaves me desperately wanting more and there's no more coming for a long while

If you want something that scratches that itch, you should play Nier: Automata if you have not already. Great story, gorgeous music and visuals, fantastic 3rd person action rpg combat that feels like a mix of Cloud, Barret, Tifa, and Aeris all at once depending on how you kit your character, and an upgrade system that feels like materia with the serial numbers filed off. Plus it's probably like $8 at this point.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I mean that's all true but the development was a disaster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Final_Fantasy_XV

Jesus that wiki does make it sound like a nightmare. Even beyond that, though, I couldn't get into it for reasons like the characters all having aggressively dogshit, forgettable designs and also just generally not being interesting. Nomura has honestly had more misses than hits for me regarding character design. It almost feels like 7 was a fluke. The cast in 7 still feels based in and reflective of some kind of consistent internal game reality, and everything after 7 becomes increasingly laden with the terrible mall goth weeb poo poo aesthetic he's loving obsessed with.

Like you look at the characters in 7 and you can see what they're supposed to be. Oh, he's a soldier? Yeah makes sense, he looks soldier-y. This guy's a hotheaded, mildly suicidal ecoterrorist? Well, yeah, sure, he's dressed like Bane from Dark Knight Rises and replaced his arm with a whole rear end machine gun. Martial arts bartender has fighting gloves, elbow pads, and kicking boots, but also a flirty athleisure-wear sort of getup. Magic hippy flower girl looks like a sweetheart with a crystal collection. Etc etc

You look at the cast of XV and you're like "These characters are... all pleather goths, I guess? They only wear clothes off Ali Express or something?"

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Onmi posted:

Roen actually, there was a big deal done between Square and the Fashion label.

Didn't they do something like that with XIII as well? I dunno way but it just strikes me as really cringey. Like, quit trying to sell me ugly designer pants and just design a memorable character whose clothing makes sense for their personality role in the world you weirdos

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

At least he didn’t cover them with belts and zippers.

Really felt like Nomura was working through some poo poo with the designs and general direction of the Kingdom Hearts games and their 8,000 offshoots. Very "deviantart OCs and AO3 fanfics, but canon" energy there

Edit: Did he also do the design work for The Bouncer? What about FF8? If so, that dude REALLY likes vinyl Ed Hardy jorts and tribal face tats

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 17, 2020

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I can never make up my mind about whether I love or hate when FF games randomly throw in a jarriingly off-tone character that makes no sense. Cait Sith, Quina, that sort of thing. I feel like it happens less often now that things look more realistic, as it would stand out much more.

Kinda makes me miss when Amano was doing all of the artistic worldcraft and character designs, cause Gogo the tattered mystery mime and Umaro the literal shrieking yeti manage to work perfectly well next Cyan the swordsman and Locke the thief. A ninja with an attack rottweiler and a feral child fighting an evil clown god? Absolutely motherfucker bring it on. His designs all meshed really well without being samey, and could accommodate some deeply weird poo poo.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

"Why isn't the ecoterrorist with a huge flaming tribal skull tattoo, who frequently spouts gonzo esoteric religious philosophy, and who was explicitly kicked out of the normal ecoterrorist guerilla army for being violently hotheaded, and who decided to replace his missing arm with an enormous loving machine gun that he wears at all times despite the fact that this is clearly irregular behavior even by the standards of the dystopia he lives in, and whose life and society was mass murdered an hour ago, which he was then also blamed for, behaving more rationally?"

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

FFVII's better translation and voice acting turned Barret from a semi-embarrassing Mr. T caricature to one of the strongest characters in this first installment. He's definitely in my Top 3 most improved things about the remake.

It really shows how the writers took the time to excavate these characters and take them to their logical conclusions. Barret isn't just angry; Barret feels everything too much. He's furious with Shinra. He's beside himself with panic that his daughter has possibly been hurt. He is mournful about his past and the disillusionment that grew out of it. He is ferociously protective of his friends. He is exuberantly celebratory in victory.

He can't govern his feelings, because he has never overcome his profound traumas. This is a man so offended at the cruel exploitation of humanity and the planet that he made his arm into a gun. He's all in, always. He believes he will die doing this, and suspects that he should. Even more than Aerith (I hate that spelling), he is the heart of the team.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Onmi posted:

Sorry, need to correct something here. Barret didn't lose his arm in the Corel incident. It would have recovered with some limited movement. He was the one who demanded it be cut off so he could get a gun instead.

Lmao that's right. He's doing great, mentally!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Have a whole subplot about Scarlet injecting a bunch of mako so she doesn't just die from one single nuclear slap from Tifa

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Conversely, I would also accept a subversion of the scene wherein Scarlet slaps Tifa and then Tifa does Dolphin Flurry on Scarlet, who is then hospitalized

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I'm already excited thinking about how the other characters will be reconceived in the next one. I also wonder if the characters we learned to play in this game will play exactly the same or if they'll change em again somehow.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

God I would flip my poo poo for a PS5 redux of FF6, especially if it were done in Amano's surreal, painterly style.

Also, I could be mistaken, but I thought there was a Deepground reference in there somewhere.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

But 8 is as good as 7.

Hahahahahahahahanajaja

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

PT6A posted:

Also, and I can't stress this enough: it's a game and if the bosses are overpowered to the point they "ought" to be to make sense, then the game won't be fun and you'll hate it. Other shocking news on this front: if you get shot with bullets, you typically will not be able to continue fighting and later heal it with a quick sit on a bench.

But what if you hold your gloved arm or pretty walking stick up in a defensive position while being hosed with automatic rifle fire and frag grenades what then huh

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ace Transmuter posted:

Reno was the boss fight that got me to take Punisher mode seriously. I didn't really bother with Counter Stance until the final boss fight on Normal, but it put in work on Hard Mode.

Never once used Parry in either run.

Parry is sorta fun on Cloud, but once you put it on Tifa, you'll never take it off. Giving her Parry and Deadly Dodge is just

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Nihilarian posted:

using parry on cloud doesnt drop him out of punisher mode

Oh. OH.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Lobok posted:

Hard mode kinda freaks me out because I'm maybe halfway through Normal and it feels like I'm already spending too much time in menus fiddling with my party's loadout given how often the types of enemies change, and whether I expect a boss, or my party members change, and from levelling and getting new equipment. Most of the time I spend in the Command Menu in battle is refreshing my memory on who can do what.

By the time you're in hard mode you'll have your favorite moves on quick key and will only change out which materia is attached to Elemental in your weapons

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Thundercracker posted:

Hell house was easy compared to Ghoul because holy poo poo my Hard playthrough might just stop there. Immune to physical or magic, AOE stuns that combo into KO. Instant death moves in physical immune mode that targets your likely magic character. It's extremely unfun.

Warding + I wanna say Barrier materia guards against instant death attacks

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Loved DS1 but have never managed to get past the Cleric Beast in BB. Buns me out.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

Yeah that's the big boy thread.

Where might a big boy find such a thread?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I've been in a similar boat where I've just not felt terribly engaged by the direction games have been going for quite a while now. I have no interest in Battle Royale games, I'm well beyond sick of meaningless grind games like Destiny and Division, I loathe that so many games are primarily platforms for microtransactions now, and I resent that even games I WAS interested (Destiny, for quite a while) made themselves aggressively unfun so as to chase a niche esport scene that was never going to be interested in them.

FF7R is such a breath of fresh air. I think the last game I played that felt like it had this much heart and care and craft put into it was Nier: Automata (which anyone who likes the combat and materia systems if 7R should play). The characters here actually make me care. The story paces itself well, with high intensity moments and decompressed moments. The battle system has fantastic depth, and each of the playable characters feels like it could have been the sole playable character of a lesser game that focused only on their unique abilities.

This game is the result of craftspeople at the height of their mastery doing something they care about, having been given the freedom to explore what they want to, mechanically and narratively, and it really shows. It blows so many other games out of the water right now, and makes them look like soulless cash grabs by comparison.

The fact that it unabashedly deals with relevant political and social issues in a mature and thoughtful way, and actually asserts an opinion about them, is INCREDIBLE in this day and age. Just look at Ubisoft's mealy mouthed statements about the Division series being completely apolitical and compare it to 7R's presentation of sickening capitalist malfeasance and the psychic toll of choosing the life of the ecoterrorist exile because the planet is being used up for money and its lower caste people being ground up like meat. FF7R is in every way the glistening Chad to the gaming industry's sea of clammy Virgins.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I remember everyone saying the pull up challenge was a nightmare, and yes it was tough when I got to it, but like... "get it on the third or fourth" try tough. Did no one else play the Bust A Groove or Parappa games religiously as a kid?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Remember when they first showed Aerith's face and a bunch of creepy dorks thought it made her look too old and cooked up an alternative where she looked like a literal baby?

Anyway, I hope they're loving miserable and hate this game as much as everyone else loves it.

Oh god I definitely memory holed this

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I'm curious how they had 3 ATB bars and a Limit Break ready to go at the same time in that fight. Gotterdammerung and Refocus would let you grab 3 bars right off the bat, but I don't see how having another limit built up would be possible in the span of that fight. Also, was anyone able to see which spell was used there towards the beginning?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Moola posted:

this game owns so hard

I would love DLC with more VR solo fights. Maybe even a "build your own combat sim roster" where you can pick from all the enemies from the game.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

redreader posted:

So when Cloud does punisher mode attacks and finishes the combo, is that the heavy attack? Sometimes he glows red, is that the berserk status? Also, that Tifa video is crazy, and I tried chi trap a few times in one or two fights and it hit enemies like 2-3 times and they then went elsewhere. In that video the enemy stays in the trap. Did I just pick the worst enemies to use it on or something? Also, why is Tifa dodging in that video sometimes, for no reason?

I think heavy attack is what happens when you hold attack in Operator mode.

Red glow is Berserk, which he sets from holding attack in Punisher mode.

It looked to me like Tifa did an attack that knocked the opponent into the air and did a Chi Trap underneath it before it landed, causing it to bounce on it in a continual juggle.

Tifa is using both the Deadly Dodge and Parry materia. She might be using them for animation canceling purposes, repositioning purposes, or in the case of Deadly Dodge, because dodging allows her to combo into a fantastic spinning kick attack.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Marmaduke! posted:

And where does Elmyra sleep in that house? Two bedrooms but one's for Aerith and the other is "spare". I think she's actually a robonanny planted by Shinra to keep Aerith in place.

I think there's a door on the first floor you can't open

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

KVeezy3 posted:

Yeah, it's the door to her charging station.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Gologle posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A [digital copy] INTO THE [ps4]. ITS [final fantasy 7 remake] AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, [tifa]. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME [anything] BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP [stagger combo]. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE [shinra]’S MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY [socially distancing public space] AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN [socially distancing public space] CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING

Final Fantasy House returns

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I like almost all the new stuff. I hope the future games make huge divergences from the original game cause I already played the original a dozen times and I'm not a brain damaged baby man that needs a pacifier. Chadley is a little pervert sicko and I hate him, though. Hate that little freak. What are you doing in Wall Market you degenerate? I'm on to you.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I haven't finished all of Chadley's missions, I've been dragging my feet on that cause it seemed like I had to do some materia grinding I didnt feel like doing at the time in order to complete them. Does something happen at the end of that quest line that makes him not an uncanny little deviant fancylad?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I think Auron could also be Toshiro Mifune

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

fridge corn posted:

gently caress hell house forever. What an awful fight

Hell House was a super tough fight for me as well the first time

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ulio posted:

Is there any item with a link of 3 slots?

Do you mean like o=o=o ? There's nothing that links three in a row, but I think there are items that have 3 linked pairs, like o=o o=o o=o iirc.

If you want to link one materia to two other materia simultaneously, I believe you can? Sort of? Sometimes? Like for instance I think you could take a Fire materia and link it to MP Absorb, and then in another paired slot, you would take a Fire of equivalent level and link it to All, and then in practice you would be able to cast Fire spells on multiple enemies at once while absorbing MP from all of them as well. You can actually do some serious work with Aerith this way if you gear her specifically to one element, pick a weapon that reduces attack spell cost and/or increases attack spell damage, and cast from within her Arcane Ward. Doubled Thundaga on a mob of enemies for a net cost of like 2 MP.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

It has just occurred to me that the arc of FF7R is Cloud's journey from edgelord to himbo

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I hope Square releases a PC port some day so we can see what modders can do with materia and VR battles and stuff

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Changing party leader only changes which character gets the camera at the start of a combat, if that's what you mean. It doesn't change who you run around as in the non combat portions, unfortunately, because of course everyone would be Tifa at all times.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Is it actually impossible for one of the most storied developers in gaming to make a patch to correctly load textures in perhaps their most beloved game of all time? Is Unreal actually that broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I gotta say, Square is leaving money on table by not quickly whipping up a DLC that's just an expanded VR Battle Arena where you can pick from every enemy in the game to build your own roster of fights. Maybe the option to pick from a few different stage shapes, some difficulty mutators, that sort of thing. I'm not even asking for networked play, where my friends each control a squad member, thought that would absolutely whip rear end. Imagine being able to put together a super hard fight that would test the abilities of three people playing at once... I would still be playing this game multiple times a week.