Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I'm still annoyed that we're all supposed to say "Aerith" now. It just sounds like "Aeris" but with a lisp. Aerith Gainthborough. Cloud Thtrife.

I have no idea how Cait Sith is supposed to be pronounced, but I've always pronounced it "Kayt Sith." Is "Bahamut" not pronounced "bah-HOMM-mut?" And "Chocobo" will forever and only be pronounced Cho as in "show," Co as in "Coke," and Bo as in "bough."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I think "Sephiroth" as it is seen in the Qabbala is pronounced Seff-ih-rote, so they still made it weird

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Okay I can't find it anywhere, but just imagine I posted that reimagined image of Aerith someone did where they made her look like a baby in a wig.

I'm so curious about this now

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

d0grent posted:

My friend covered the FF7 boss music in the style of Doom and it's siiiiiiiiiiiick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOIkJFi6uqY

HYPE

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Has he got a DOOM cover of the Jenova boss fight? Cause that'd slap.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

d0grent posted:

Not a Doom style cover but still a metal cover of Jenova phase 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWj_2U59-_8

:getin:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

... which is connected to St. Elsewhere. Ergo Smash Brothers Ultimate is canon to I Love Lucy.

I don't know enough about either of these franchises to make these jumps, please to helping me

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Smash includes Castlevania, which includes the novel Dracula in its canonical timeline, which means that

1 - the literal Christian devil exists and acts directly upon the material world, as Dracula learned his vampiric magic at a secret college of demons deep in the mountains, where Satan was the teacher

2 - the literal Christian god exists and acts directly upon the material world, as the Belmont's are shown to sometimes display a holy crucifix that utterly destroys the undead

This makes things like The Walking Dead take on a very different character. Did the protagonists get left behind in the rapture??

Also how does the Walking Dead cross over with St. Elsewhere, out of curiosity? Wasn't that show from the 80s?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Invalid Validation posted:

I really hope they pet to the PC I wanna replay with better graphics.

Graphics sure yeah, what I really wanna see is what people can do with mods

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Macaluso posted:

They could make Sector 5 slums not look like something off the N64

They could demake the entire thing into an N64 game

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

All of that, plus it's probably the most out-of-the-way spot in the entire town, being as it is on the border of the undercity, accessible through a winding crevice on the other side of an orphanage and a vacant plot of disused wasteland.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Jesus, Oxx. Fix your fuckin heart.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Cid Highwind
Sativa Lockheart
Cloud Spliff

Red CDXX

Edit: Spliffiroth

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Gonna pipe in and say that Mako isn't necessarily just a metaphor for fossil fuels. It's a metaphor for the way that disposable lower classes are treated by multinational capital. You grind up living souls to create artificial abundance, and it feels great to have those comforts if you're middle class or above and don't mind ignoring that electricity is souls aka your affordable chocolate was harvested by literal child slaves who are worked to death by Nestle. Shinra is the concept of exploitative and extractive capitalism, Mako is the concept of burning through disposable human lives and other irreplaceable resources.

As to the argument that capital is irrelevant to the theme, because Shinra only wants power, I say that capital and power are the same thing. If you use corporate authority to sit atop access to the means of production, and guard it with state violence so that you can wrench value and servility out of people, you are doing fascism, which is the marriage of corporate and state oppression.

As for us not being shown a reasonable alternative, I would point out that we are explicitly shown the Cetra living in harmony with Gaia. They seem to have an advanced society that did not rely on extractive infrastructure. They seemingly accomplished things with the help of summons and other Lifestream-adjacent influences without the planet seeing them as parasites.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I would argue that what you have defined isn't communism (a classless society in which the means of production are owned by the people who work them) but rather state capitalism, which is what Stalin et al were pretending was communism. Tankies will yell at me for this but it's true.

Pedantics aside, I do take your point and will think about. I'm just trying to point out that Marxist analysis is about historical power relationships between social classes, not just money. Lots of things can be/affect power relationships between social classes, including but not exclusively money.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Not a Children posted:

I'm going to pound town with Tifa.

I thought the Nude Raider code was a myth...

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'd kill for a shower

Whew! Worked up a good sweat!

:sickos:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

She... she's alive and she's gonna be on the next one... she's actually okay and she's gonna be fine I saw her gloves on the nightstand :ohdear:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Kingdom Hearts is increasingly hilarious to me, because it seems to have completely misconstrued what people liked about it. It started out as "your favorite Disney characters hanging out with your favorite Final Fantasy characters," and somewhere along the way Nomura decided that what people actually liked and wanted more of was dozens of hours of interminable bullshit about his 400 edgy DeviantArt OCs in trenchcoats who are all named poo poo like Tylexol and Ibuproxin

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

The issue is that is what people like about it. It has a large number of pretty boys with distinct personalities being melodramatic at one another. That is something people like, including Disney Fans. That is why Disney made a dating simulator where all the Disney villains are reimagined as cute boys.

HMBOL WHAT

Edit:

Hellioning posted:

It's not like Kingdom Hearts was that massive on Final Fantasy anyway, and the first sequel basically went whole hog on original characters.

Like, the big FF character introductions in KH2 are Setzer and Vivi as minor cameos as opponents in a battle arena where you pick up orbs, Seifer and his flunkies as younger and lamer versions of themselves from 8, YRP as tiny pixies for some reason, and Tifa. Tifa is cool and good and has one of the best moments in the game, but that's not a great showing overall.

You're forgetting the part where you fight back to back with Cloud (iirc) against an army of heartless that stretches to the horizon

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 1, 2021

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

It's not the hot boys that bother me, I love hot boys. I just think the Organization characters all look stupid and have stupid personalities and their entire storyline is stupid and an obnoxious distraction from hanging out with Winnie the Pooh. It's like going to Disneyland with your favorite friends that you recently reconnected with, but some group of cybergoths bumps into you and thinks you're all friends now so they start following you and blasting Papa Roach from their phones

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Disney security teams all kicking in the door to some little kid's room and breaking their thumbs for playing with a Rei and Elastigirl action figure at the same time and then suing them for brand dilution

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

anakha posted:

Actual gamers with VA chops might be the wave of the future, who knows?

I want Kenny Omega called at once

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

bobjr posted:

I would have loved it if Cloud mentioned to Barrett or Tifa later he fought an evil house and they don’t believe him.

Or have them be like "Oh poo poo, the evil house is actually real? We thought that was an urban legend."

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Veib posted:

I want to see Johnny and Roche dating, I don't really care why and how I just want to see them in a committed relationship

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

That makes me happy and I'm really glad you enjoyed something that was a big part of my formative teen years :)

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Aeris could be an absolute loving beast once you kitted her out right, but the AI whenever you weren't actively piloting her means that she would sprint away from her warded, shielded thunderdome at top speed in order to throw energy butterflies at the strongest enemy on the field from like three feet away

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Still blows my mind that Square left easy DLC money on the table by not throwing together a $5 battle arena where you could make your own fight rosters and stuff. I'd still be playing it if that were available.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

Are we supposed to know who the guy at the end of the trailer is, or is he new?

I'll put in spoiler bars if you haven't seen it yet.

Someone on Twitter said he's a Dirge of Cerberus guy

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I think that was Platinum Games

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Help me flesh out this gimmick concept: Thanos Tifa. She has 6 materia slots in a maxed glove (I think? It's been a minute), and there are 6 Infinity Stones. What materia gets slotted to replicate those powers?

Time stone = Time materia, easy
Power stone = ???
Space stone = Barrier, maybe? Magnify?
Mind stone = Provoke? Subvert?
Soul stone = Revive? Prayer? Enemy Skill?
Reality stone = Another Barrier candidate? Enemy skill? Magnify?

It's dumb but my brain won't leave it alone.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Does the Assess data for the enemy type say anything about their gun? If not, I would guess that your best bets would be tracking down hi-res textures from the game, but those might not exist until the PC release. Or maybe there is some kind of FF7R development and concept art book. That would almost certainly have the sort of world guide/design doc type stuff in it that would get into the Shinra troops' gear.

edit: for instance, the FF7R Ultimania has stuff like this picture, and if you could get someone to translate the Japanese, the descriptions next to all the guns might help you out

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 3, 2021

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

TK-42-1 posted:

Only if his weapon is a series of more elaborate motorcycles to whip around.

Are you describing the most recent Devil May Cry

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I genuinely appreciated the attention that got paid to the more banal inner workings of Shinra, like how propagandized a lot of people were, but also how horrified they were at the dropped plate. The vast majority of them are just trying to get by working at the only game in town and are not genocidal psychopaths, which I feel was a little glossed over in the original. Arguing politics with the guy on the train and then watching his worldview crack when Avalanche behaved with humanity while Shinra endangered everyone on the train was a great moment.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Reality stone is red. A summon fits nicely.

I don't know why I didn't think of that, good call

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Good God who do I have to beat at squats and pull ups to get Yoko Taro and Platinum Games pulled in on FF7R development??

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

What's up with Platinum? I will admit that all I know about them is that they made Nier: Automata, which is one of my favorite games. Beyond that, I'm clueless.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

They should add Tifa to Mortal Kombat. Her fatality would be punching people in warp speed until they explode.

No, I couldn't bear to see her ribcage pulled out and stuffed full of dynamite by a demon wizard, she's too good for that world

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

There is also a global shortage of semiconductors right now and it's affecting a lot of production lines. The tl;dr reason is that capitalism is dumb and greedy, it's getting dumber and greedier, and there are fewer places to harvest eternally growing revenues that don't now involve cannibalizing your own resilience to even the slightest hiccup in the market.

https://hbr.org/2021/02/why-were-in-the-midst-of-a-global-semiconductor-shortage

But yes, Tifa needs to stop taunting me with the sweat she's worked up and her desire for a shower because it is unkind and distracting to my degenerate pervert brain.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

cvnvcnv posted:

I got into the Shinra building and walked up 59 floors worth of stairs. Once at the top I went back down the stairs, all the way to the bottom and took the elevator up. Gentlemen, we live in a society.

Glad to see I'm not the only one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Electromax posted:

Imagine if Bizarro Sephiroth just lets you go wild with all 9 members of your team out on the field at once with the same battle mechanics as usual and a massive stack of names and HP bars in the corner.

This is the hypest poo poo that could happen