Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

don't know if i'd call "a single 4x cut" a materia combination

Quad cut slash all steal as well :rms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah the fact that Tim spent over four hours of runtime (and god knows how much time researching, playing, writing, vidcapping, rewriting, recording, editing, etc in preparation of that 4+ hours) aggressively and confidently misconstruing a fairly blinkered set of personal preferences for a broadly agreeable set of objective best practices is... very strange, to me.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I actually really like him, have been into almost everything else he's done, and usually trust his reviews. That's why it's so weird to me that he spent so much effort to strike out so hard on his whole FF7R thing

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Weiss' commitment to flat ironing his hair into a massive pineapple in tyool 2021 is quite the dedication to MySpace era scene kid aesthetics

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

gags like this that would only work from the perspective of the viewer are always a little sus to me when they work on people within the diegesis of the game, but the fact that they did it twice in a row has left me adrift in the waves of chaos and I don't know whether I think it is twice as dumb or a stroke of transcendent brilliance

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I'm doing my first ever PC build right now and I'm super excited to finally get to try games that I liked, but which looked like they were only brought up to their true potential by the modding scene (like literally any modern Fallout game, for instance). Final Fantasy 7 Remake hitting PC is gonna generate a lot of cool stuff, I think, and I'm stoked to see what comes. Maybe a proper combat holodeck where you can choose the enemies you face in each round from all the enemies (or allies!) in the game.

I'd also flip for a multiplayer mode where friends could control some of the other player characters, though I'm not sure how it would deal with the menu screen bullet time in combat. Perhaps you just don't have any, and you gotta to get comfortable with button shortcuts. Maybe playable Red XIII!

Ah who am I kidding, it's probably gonna 85% pervert mods that make Tifa's breasts humongous or make Aeris poo poo her pants or something.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

He'll yeah, I want mods like this for FF7. The NPCS got finished and look great it's a shame they see so little use.

https://youtu.be/TNF1Frvl1IE

I have never played a Dragon Quest before and I don't speak Japanese, so I'm afraid I can't tell what I'm supposed to be looking for here

But yeah I remember the wretched grogs of online declaring that their collective childhoods were being raped and that history was being erased on par with a mass burning of bibles (yes, earnestly and actually comparing any alteration to their expectations of a straight port of OG FF7 to desecration of holy artifacts) because the character model of FF7R Tifa only had normal-style large breasts instead of distracting gonzo jiggling mega cartoon physics-engined yabbos that would look absurd in the more photoreal style of FF7R.

I cannot imagine being that far gone from the presence of real women in my life that I literally think a woman isn't attractive if she doesn't look like a hentai grotesque.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

Tifa is also a good example how the game doesnt explain stuff like did you know that Focused Strike regains ATB (so it can be used as an evasive move) or Overpower doesn't interrupt your melee combo chain so it works as a combo extender.

Granted almost all games are guilty of this, especially rpgs.

Wait what

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I mean in the case of both of those things you can discover it by... using the move.

cute that you think I am logging information like that while furiously mashing buttons while the screen looks like someone threw fireworks into a blender

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

FF7R has action/fighting game aesthetics and style taking up 99% of the screen, but for some reason opted to keep a JRPG-from-the-90s level of user interface to let the player know when super meters were full

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Go into the menus and find the shortcut button options for the characters. Set your favorite moves, spells, etc to specific buttons so you can chain them quickly and easily, action game style.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

If Shakespeare wrote a sequel to Romeo and Juliet where they both lived and ended the feud it would be a bad play.

Good thing this is a video game then

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

He was in Science Juice, the only thing wrecked was his mind.

Which is a fact most people don't really think about. Dude was put in that thing when he was 16 and he might as well still be 16.

This explains so much about that emo little poo poo

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

look. it's a nice door, maybe not the nicest.

Read this in Trump's voice and now I kind of miss when my daily installations of disappointment came in his unhinged 80s New York real estate cokehead gibberish instead of the bloodless press releases we now get from Dem functionaries with the personality of a saltine because Biden's too old and demented to allow on camera more than once every two weeks

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Does Intergrade have any new materia? Beyond Ramuh, who I assume you get as a summon.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How many ranks of Fort Condor are there?

Also lol is there really a DLC-only weapon in the PSN shop that's half the price of the whole thing, I like this game but I think they might be overestimating on that one

I think it might have been a pre-order thing?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Morpheus posted:

That's exactly what I'd did. Not very enjoyable, just feels like I exploited a system rather than played a game.

Hard mode in general is something I don't think the ff7 remake does well. The removal of item use is irritating, since it feels so haphazardly done. There are still items you can pick up, which you can use, items you can buy that are worthless, and the option to use items still on the menu for no reason. It makes things feel more like an endurance match in the worst way, and there isn't even anything interesting to show for it, like a new cutscene, new material to find (everything found before is just replaced with healing materia which is useless), it's just...eh. Give me new encounter setups, give me unqiue treasures, literally anything.

I thought doing hard mode meant you get some level up materials that you can't get any other way?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's cinematic, the eye can't see more than 30fps anyway, high framerate causes motion sickness, causes hardware to overheat, is not console-pure, 60fps looks fake, twice the frames means things move twice as fast so you're actually halving the gameplay, the original game was 15fps which is evidence that the lower the framerate the better the game is, 60fps strays further from the light and hollows your soul

wish we could've got this as a bugfuck conspiracy theory in addition to 5G being the reason everyone got COVID and your son does tiktok dances as a femme catboy

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Morpheus posted:

What was so bad about Dirge? I played through it over a decade ago and remember almost nothing except that you could...level up bullets? Or something? Also Hojo was annoying as poo poo.

iirc it was a 3rd person gun action game, because those were popular at the time, but Square did not know how to design those and did not want to learn. I have heard it described as akin to loading and accurately firing a crossbow with your feet, wish shoes on

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

ghostinmyshell posted:

I passed on DoC cause it controlled like pure rear end. Let's face it the DS2 sticks were not that great for accurate aiming, notice the huge auto-assist reticle. What I didn't know at the time is that the game does support keyboard and mouse, so if I played it today that's what I would use. It also suffered from that wacky rear end PS2 era blur filter to hide performance issues.

There's probably the bones of a decent game laying in there somewhere that modders could drag out if they cared to

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Tosk posted:

I absolutely loved DoC as a goofy teenager high off discovering JRPGs a few years before. I was very into how over the top everything was, from the character designs to the plot and music, and probably played through the game like three times. I also used to eat up AMVs of Crisis Core cutscenes set to Breaking Benjamin music (I was destined for goonhood). Discovering retroactively how awful it was many years later was quite a thing.

My wife and I just remembered AMVs recently and have been going down YouTube rabbit holes where we excavate amateur videos of extremely emotional anime scenes set to various emo and screamo songs, all in glorious 480p. It's been quite the trip down memory lane.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

anakha posted:

This page is starting to remind me of that incredibly goony 'review' that accused Squeenix of making the ending the way it was to spite fans.

jfc this person should be compassionately euthanized, there's no saving them

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

If people find a way to do mods for this, I will buy this for PC instantly

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

God dammit give me more of this series immediately

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

DanielCross posted:

I'm kinda curious though, what does Shinra get out of starting another war with Wutai at this point? I suppose it's not like the original continuity, where Wutai seems like it's been pretty well beaten into the ground, and there's clearly a somewhat active resistance, but is squashing them really such a high priority?

Let me tell you about a little nation you may have heard of called America Since WW2

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I do appreciate them taking the worlbuilding a little more seriously and shading in the texture of that institutions more carefully. Like, yes, why are the only 4 flying objects on this planet a biplane, a fully functional airship, Rufus' personal helicopter, and a retired spaceship. Like. You can't just make all four of these things in a vacuum. These have all been machined and made from mass produced industrial parts. You need dozens, even hundreds of prototypes and variations. You make mechs and 100 ft long laser cannons for God's sake, Shinra, why do you need to try to steal a barely functional cropduster for any reason, ever?

It always felt so strange to me that a world with this insane level of industrial and technological infrastructure seemed to only have six places with any sign of human life, with maybe three of them being larger than a small town. You have industrial pipelines and mines and processing plants and poo poo but you don't have a single paved road outside of Midgar. It's like everyone was dropped there from a low population colony ship in the last 30 years.

Edit:

Moola posted:

Also speaking of Shinra and Wutai going into an all out war, I would totally play a Battlefront: FF7 game that was just Shinra vs Wutai set in various FF7 locales

💪💉 please put it straight into me thank you

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 6, 2021

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Does anyone know what "ShinRa" means in English? I seem to recall "shin" usually meaning something akin to true/real/ultimate/perfect in other weeb stuff.

Also, has anyone done a deep dive into any potential significance regarding the game using a lot of Norse terminology and imagery for the world, and then assailing that world with threats steeped in Kabbalistic and Gnostic imagery?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Elentor posted:

Thank you for not misspelling as gourad.

Their second kink is publicly having their spelling corrected, can't believe you'd do this

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Moola posted:

23 seconds

:monocle:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

epic will just buy it

:capitalism:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Important things are happening in the FF7R modding community

https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy7remake/mods/64

"Replaces Buster Sword with Scarlet's model!"

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

'Waaaah, they turned Tifa into a Wolverine

What does this mean

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

This mod lets you change the hair and eye color for the Cloud, Tifa, and Aeris, and it evokes strange, bad feelings in me to look at the example pictures. They don't even look bad, it's just deeply unnatural feeling, like your dad walking into your room, but suddenly he has someone else's face.

https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy7remake/mods/104?tab=images

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Xad posted:

giving cloud lightning's hair color and aerith terra's green hair is pretty funny though

also this mod

https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy7remake/mods/83

that, as far as I can tell, replaces every single one of Aerith's weapon models with that one folding chair

:boom::vince::boom:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Aerith Gainthborough

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

This makes me wonder if Barrett's name in English isn't a misinterpretation of "Bullet" on account of how the Japanese pronunciation would be so similar

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ror posted:

Big Dick Nanaki is canon, there's a reason Hojo gave him his nickname

this took 30 seconds of mental gear turning before I blurted "oh NO" to myself

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

It will turn out that maxed materia is incredibly delicious, like what you imagined coffee must taste like as a kid, or fruit scented crayons, and the gang couldn't help but eat them like jawbreakers.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Moola posted:

I wonder what kind of mods people have made for final fantasy 7 re-

ah I see

No dick or dick too small to wield, 0/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Leviathan was a miserable slog for me, possibly the worst in the whole game, because iirc I didn't have Barret in my party when I did it and my sunk cost fallacy wouldn't let me drop the 25 minutes of time already spent in order to lose on purpose and redeploy him. If you don't have Barret on field to constantly shoot at Leviathan, then yeah, he is pretty much untouchable for 95% of the fight.