Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've got a question, and sorry if it's come up already in the thread but I can't find the answer quickly on google.

If you attach an elemental materia to your weapon, does it suffer penalties if the enemy has resistances to it? In other words, if you combine elemental and fire on your sword, and the enemy resists fire, do you less damage than if you have nothing attached at all? Or worse, if the enemy absorbs the element, do you heal it every time you hit it?

The elemental materia has incredible potential but I never use it because I'm never sure going in what the enemy's stats are gonna be but if there's no risk of doing worse, then i guess i might as well just light my sword on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I really loved this game, padding and all, but one semi-major disappointment I had was (this isn't a big spoiler but just in case,) that you never really get to see any parts of Midgar beyond what was in the original game. I was disappointed with that in FF7, too; Midgar is established as this megacity, with 8 sectors and an upper and lower city but you spend almost all of it in the same three slums, only venturing to the upper plate to do dungeons.

When they announced that the entire game would take place in Midgar I was hoping it would mean you'd get to see more of the city, or at least spend more time dicking around in the upper sectors, but instead it's...the same three slums again, with a bonus level in some suburbs.

Don't get me wrong, I loved what they did with that material, and the revamped slums looked great (I had high hopes for wall market and it blew them out of the water) but I'm still a little bummed that I didn't get to spend any of the 30 hours I played doing a little more sightseeing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

stev posted:

I don't remember a single fat joke about Wedge. He's constantly endeared to the player.

He really liked that pizza

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

maybe they'll make Palmer's character into a champion of the fat acceptance movement

or at least normalize putting butter in tea

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Clarste posted:

Killing the clones deals damage to the main body, it's basically the only way to hurt them. They don't become vulnerable or anything, they just instantly take a flat amount of a damage the moment the clone dies. You have to intentionally spawn more clones to kill them quickly.

Lol wow I did not understand that mechanic at all. I saw "spawns a clone if you interrupt its dance" and said 'well I'd better not do that I guess'. Good to know for the replay.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Kinda curious, how would people feel about the party not being customizable like it was in this game? Like it picks and chooses for you who you have at what times for a more controlled narrative?

Also I have no idea what any of these locations people are talking about so I'm just assuming they're all towns- but are there any dungeons or areas people are looking forward to? I expect The Cave Level and a desert apparently but as someone who's pretty blind (least right now) not sure what cool locations I'll have to look forward to :v:

It's also just dawning on me that there probably won't be many locations like Midgar outside of well, Midgar. Longer I sit on it more 'neat' it feels to have a entire game take place in a mechanical city with almost no nature to it.

I would prefer fewer forced-party switches because it made it kind of tedious to specialize a character. In the later chapters it felt like I was spending a lot of time in the materia menu making sure I had all my necessary actions available. You can't even just give all the important stuff to cloud because then you have to switch away from him now and then.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

i never took the buster sword off cloud, which on one hand meant that he had by far the smallest materia pool of the cast but on the other hand gently caress you it's the buster sword

:same:

I think hardege suited my playstyle a little better but buster sword looked cooler so I stuck with that.

I liked that a lot about this game. One thing that sucked about the original was that the buster sword is supposed to be an ~~iconic weapon~~ but you drop it like a sack of poo poo and never touch it again after your first weapon upgrade. In this one, the upgrade system (for all its faults) and weapon stat spread makes it at least serviceable if not optimal throughout the entire game, or at least on lower difficulties, couldn't speak to hard mode.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

stev posted:

Every 5-10 hours I remember that there's a block button. Sue me.

I beat the whole game and just now learned that the animation that plays when you switch from operator to punisher acts as a counterattack. IE if someone attacks you during the switching animation you act as though you blocked them in punisher stance and can counter melees. This whole time I thought it was just a time waster!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

It's a necessity for beating one of the toughest bosses of FFX!

There's also a boss who flips the script and does the same thing to you by casting zombie-all and then life-all to one-shot (well, two-shot i guess) your entire party. If you don't specifically prepare for that, he does the one-two punch before you can even get a turn in, then you have to watch a long cutscene before trying him again.

I ragequit the game twice on that boss before finally cheating to get past it. Later, I met Yunalesca

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zaa Boogie posted:

Man, Hell House you can still hit even with God Mode shenanigans. Leviathan flying around is just the worst. It's the only fight I'm kinda sour on.

It's relieving to hear other people complain about Leviathan. I assumed I must have been doing something wrong, but no, he's really just untouchable for long chunks of the fight?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Is that what was happening?? I just kept seeing "immune" pop up when I was shooting him and didn't know why. I guess Barrett's normal attacks really only do 1-2 damage a lot of the time? I figured they were just being super huge assholes about letting you damage him when he's in the no-touchy phase.

I just don't get the disconnect they had in some of the fight designs. The battle system is fun and pretty interesting, the combat animations feel satisfying, filling up the ATB by performing regular attacks puts a certain tension into your choices. And most of the enemies take advantage of the system and you feel good when you get everything down and stagger them and unleash all your best abilities. But then they use mechanics like "some enemies you can only hit with ranged attacks" that just don't play into that battle system at all, or actively stop you from using the system because you can't do anything to build ATB.

That was my experience too; i saw "immune" to all of the ranged attacks and assumed I must have been missing some mechanic or something. Are you supposed to just keep plinking through until he falls or something?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

night slime posted:

After finishing the game I finally noticed when Barret's square attack goes to reload you can press triangle for the animation to cancel out for the charge. It seems to take the same amount of time.

Yeah there seem to be a bunch of little tricks like that the game doesn't explicitly tell you about. Like when you switch cloud to punisher stance, the animation that plays is actually a counter attack window, so if you have proper Gamer Reflexes you can pull off some sick moves.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Caidin posted:

He wanted it to get to the temple of the ancients I think. Because he was out of helicopters? Or something? I think it makes more sense if he was just trying to keep the party from interfering but I dunno.

I just got to this part of the game on my replay and yeah, they're trying to get to the Temple of the Ancients to chase Sephiroth.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, this is their opportunity to give the FFVII story another draft, so to speak. While it worked for a PS1 game, the actual plot becomes more and more of a vague-ish outline until the raid on Midgar. Things could definitely be tightened up and moved around for a better told narrative.

It is kind of funny that for as beloved as FFVII is, everyone agrees that major chunks of the plot are completely incomprehensible (maybe just because of the translation? I'll never know). It also has real 1997 game design in that there are bits where I just need to google a walkthrough to figure out where to go next, because I'm no longer a high schooler on summer vacation who can just talk to every NPC in the world in the hopes of finding a clue

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Aw

It's funny, I didn't think I had that much nostalgia for this game, or Aerith at all, but I also found myself getting a little misty-eyed when her theme kicked in, even without being her voice actor. It's not a complicated theme, or even that much different from the original, but something about the way they did it was really powerful and conjured up images of that friggin marble bouncing down the stairs

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yeah which is why I don't get it. It only really makes sense trying to chat when they're a small streamer, and you actually get conversation instead. And usually less meme spamming.

Agreed yeah. I follow a few small streamers and the chat is fun because you can actually talk to them/the other fans but once there’s a critical mass of people it seems pointless to me and you should just turn it off. Trying to figure out what the gently caress was happening in twitch streams was one of my first “am I old now?” moments for sure, I don’t wanna know what this kind of thing does to a kids brain

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

el oso posted:

Finally finished the game last night and mostly loved it. Great fun with a superb battle system and wonderful characters/VA work, but with some massive pacing issues. Excited for the next game and seeing them explain why we need to level up spells again for each of the 4 sequels.

I'm impressed that so many people remember the original FF7 story at this point. I think I must've finished it 3 times or so way back when but can barely remember most of what happens outside of the big plot beats.

So to that end I just downloaded the original FF7 for PS4 so I can run through it all again. What's a fun way to play/break the game in order to see the story without fussing too much with the random battles?

If you have a PC, there’s a program called ochu that lets you cheat in a variety of ways with the steam version

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Harrow posted:

I've been saying that since I replayed the game back in college. I originally played the game when I was like 11 when it first came out and I was guilty of remembering Cloud as an emo mopey guy like Squall, but when I replayed it, it surprised me how much personality he has. (Honestly, replaying FF8 also surprised me with how much personality Squall has that I also forgot.)

I don't even think it was KH or Advent Children that changed their perception. I think it was just, over time, people boiled them down to that because they didn't clearly remember their actual personalities from the game. Like I remember while playing FF9, long before KH or Advent Children existed, I thought Zidane was so refreshing because he was an FF protagonist who wasn't a mopey emo kid unlike the last two. It didn't really take me long to just mentally retcon Cloud, Aerith, and Squall into caricatures of themselves until I replayed the games and saw how wrong my memory of them was.

Yeah everyone remembers squall as a “...” angsty boy but he has an arc about learning the power of friendship, and that’s only the beginning. I thought his story was actually really sweet on my replay.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

In terms of sheer size it took me about 45 hours to complete, if that helps. And my opinion is hell yes it stacks up.

In terms of comparison to the original I will say that it's worth playing even if you recall the original perfectly.

I beat it in 30 (played on easy because I’m a coward) and still felt like I got my money’s worth and am already itchy to play again. It’s an excellent game, get it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Adus posted:

i'm in the same spot. i kind of want to try harder difficulties but i just fear i'll get frustrated. i never learned the battle system too well and i don't think i have the energy to like, rearrange materia and poo poo for each boss battle.

New game + doesn't appear to scale enemies to your level so that certainly seems like a good opportunity to ease into normal and then hard if you dare.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kirios posted:

On chapter 4 right now and I'm still blown away by how good this game is. It's the best FF game in a very long time and I really liked 15

I'm really over the moon with it yeah. I replayed FF7 immediately after finishing it and I still kind of want more.

Is Crisis Core worth tracking down and playing or has it aged poorly/was never good?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Harrow posted:

You know what's heartbreaking?

Jessie dies believing all the deaths from the Reactor 1 explosion were her fault. Maybe they were in the original game, but this time, her bomb was small and targeted. Shinra caused the larger explosion and all the devastation. But Jessie dies believing this was all her fault--that she deserves to die for what she's done. It's horrifying.

I felt like that was kind of a copout personally; the mass destruction caused by the bomb wasn't the ecoterrorists' fault, it was the evil corporation, you see, you're doing ok, no need to think about it any harder than that. Then again, this game's got enough storytelling water to carry without it becoming specops: the line so I guess I can forgive them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Systematic System posted:

Supposedly (I don't remember where I read this), the original game had a line that implied that Shinra did the same thing that they did in the Remake (deliberately blew up the reactor) but the original translation obscured it. I might've seen it in this video series, which is actually really interesting in general if you want to learn more about what the original game was without the poor translation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCeN2KjRHZk

That's interesting yeah. It definitely doesn't come off that way at all in the original game itself; there's even a line towards the end on the Highwind where Reeve (via Cait Sith) tries to shove Barrett off his high horse by confronting him about the deaths he's caused with his actions; so if all the civilian casualties were meant to be handwaved away as a shinra conspiracy, nobody told Reeve, which, now that I think about it, also makes sense actually because he's definitely the Jerry of that workplace

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

itskage posted:

Jessie: "Think it was all because of my bomb? But all I really did was just make it like the computer told me.
Oh no! I must've made a miscalculation somewhere."

That's all you get though. Like it's there but doesn't even make sense until the remake.

We also see Jessie loving up the ID cards on the sector 5 job later, don't we? Unless there's a scene explaining that that I'm forgetting, maybe Jessie just kind of sucks at being a terrorist in the original game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HD DAD posted:

I still think every iteration of OWA after the original version falls kinda flat due to an anemic bass and rhythm section. I hope for the final, final version they nail that incessant beat the PS1 version captured so well.

I will say the version in 7R has come the closest.

Personally I think OWA peaked at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=results

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Harrow posted:

You can still do that by replaying earlier chapters on easy or normal. Chapter select isn't locked to hard mode, you can pick whichever difficulty you want. Hard mode is scaled to be a post-game challenge, but the other difficulties don't scale up.

Yeah I'm only up to chapter 5 at the moment on my NG+ but it was almost insultingly easy on easy mode. I always choose the most cowardly difficulties in games and even I had to bump it up to normal (where it is still much easier than easy mode was on my first run) because poo poo was dying before I could even fill up an ATB bar.

Maybe enemies get a little beefier after the early game but I doubt it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Same.

There's so many little touches I know I'm not going find until I do multiple play throughs.

Apparently there's a whole separate set of sidequests you can get in the Wall Market chapter depending on the choices you make; I only slightly googled it so I'm not quite clear what those choices are, but I think it has to do with your interactions with Johnny and your choice of massages? And all of it affects the dresses somehow.

Fortunately wall market is cool as hell so I don't mind replaying it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

el oso posted:

Bless you FF7R, the only good thing about 2020

after seeing TLOU2 get delayed indefinitely I'm frankly grateful we got FF7R at all, much less that it turned out to be so good.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

oh, have you not heard the latest about TLOU2? there's been quite a to-do!

At this point I'm purposely ignoring news about it in a vain attempt to avoid spoilers

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Harrow posted:

The second limit breaks are super easy to get. You get them from low-level challenges at the Corneo Colosseum over in Wall Market. If you're in Chapter 14, you can go grab Cloud, Tifa, and Barret's right now and it'll probably take you like 10 minutes.

Yeah I went through the whole game without my second limit break because I skipped the colosseum optional fights and that's the only place to get them. It's not hard at all, just a specific thing you need to do.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

zakharov posted:

Guessing she didn't see the Very Optional, Yet Plot-Critical Cutscene

As Elentor discusses in his LP, everyone remembers Aerith's death as The Twist but the Cloud thing is much less remembered.

I've beaten this game three times, the most recent being a week ago, and I still had to google Cloud's thing to really understand wtf was going on. It's a weird story, and it doesn't help that the word "clone" is used imperfectly, filtered through an uneven translation, and that as you say, certain key parts of the story are missable and off the critical path.

I think I've got it though, correct me if I'm wrong: Cloud Strife was a boy from Niblheim who ran off to join SOLDIER as a teen to show those losers in his hometown how tough he really was, but he washed out and ended up in the infantry. He went back to Niblheim on a mission with Sephiroth and Zack (a real SOLDIER) but was too embarrassed to show his face, so he kept his helmet on--this is why nobody remembers him being there. During the mission, Sephiroth learns a half-truth about his heritage and goes mad, burning the town down. Zack confronts him but is severely wounded; Cloud comes along later, gets the drop on Sephiroth and mortally wounds him, plunging him into the lifestream, but falls to severe wounds himself.

In a completely optional cutscene we learn that Shinra captures Zack and Cloud, Hojo experiments on them and injects them with Jenova cells (which is why Cloud is now a supersoldier too, and can hear Sephiroth's voice and is able to be possessed by him). The optional cutscene continues to tell us that eventually Zack and Cloud bust out of custody, and Cloud makes it to Midgard, but Zack dies protecting him. Back in the critical, unskippable flashback of the game, Tifa finds Cloud in the city, zonked out of his mind from trauma; for some reason that I'm still not totally clear on, Cloud has disassociated and absorbed Zack's memories from the Nibelheim mission onward as his own, and Tifa just kind of goes along with it and hires him as a merc for Avalanche to give him some sense of purpose.

I think that covers the main points available without watching or playing any of the compilation content; I wouldn't care to begin guessing what happens outside of the original game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Schwartzcough posted:

That's pretty much right. I don't think Cloud every really absorbed Zack's memories; he just kind of took on Zack's persona based on Cloud's impression of Zack and his own knowledge of what happened in Nibelheim (and maybe Zack regaling Cloud with stories after they broke out and Cloud was still grogged out). It's implied that all the trauma of Cloud's town being burned down and everyone he knew getting killed, his failure to protect Tifa, his hero Sephiroth turning out to be a psycho, the years of scientific experimentation, the mako poisoning, the Jenova cell infusions, and then Zack getting murdered protecting him, kinda broke Cloud's brain, and he cobbled together this hybrid Cloud/Zack personality in a desperate attempt to save his psyche. I don't think Tifa knew quite how hosed up he was when she found him and asked him to help out Avalanche.

Now that I think about it, there's a part I'm still confused about. Why is Nibelheim still standing when Cloud and the party get there in the present day timeline? I must have missed the NPC who spelled it out explicitly but the impression that I get from the behavior of the townspeople is that it was rebuilt brick-for-brick and repopulated with Sephiroth clones (or whatever the right word is). But like....why? What does that accomplish in Sephiroth's grand plan that wouldn't be accomplished by just leaving it burnt to the ground and having the clones do other things? Literally just to gently caress with Cloud?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

shinra rebuilt the town and populated it with their own employees pretending to be the townspeople in order to cover up the reactor failure. meanwhile hojo experimented the survivors and left them to rot in the attics and basements of their old homes

you only learn this explicitly if you revisit nibelheim after the appearance of meteor, when all the plants are too freaked out to remain on-script

Ahh that explains it. By the last act of the game I just kind of wanted to finish the story so I never backtracked or did any optional stuff.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Harrow posted:

This purports to be a full list of missable items: https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/comments/9kyzke/a_complete_list_of_all_missable_items_in_ffvii/

This walkthrough is pretty thorough without being overly wordy and I think separates out side content into separate pages if you don't want to follow the whole walkthrough step-by-step: https://jegged.com/Games/Final-Fantasy-VII/Walkthrough/

I was also going to post the jegged walkthrough, I used that when I was lost. It is chiefly a step-by-step walkthrough, but if you pick "side quests" on the right side it seems to be a pretty thorough guide to just the missable poo poo.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

zakharov posted:

And then they went and used a very recognizable voice from Breaking Bad, lmao

And I have to admit, my first reaction was to say "is that...?" and tune out the dialogue while I pull up imdb on my phone. The same thing happens any time I hear any gideon emery-type voice

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ace Transmuter posted:

Also didn't they snag some A-listers for Kingsglaive?

I actually still don't hear Bender in Heidegger's voice, which is weird because he's usually instantly recognizable to me.

Also maybe it's because I never watched much BB but I generally don't think of "minor character who appears in less than 20% of hit TV show" qualifies as super famous

You can hear bender a little bit in his GYA HA HA but yeah, generally I don't really hear bender in dimaggio's roles, he seems to keep that voice pretty separate.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hmm, he would make a good Cid...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

The remake kind of killed my ability to play the original, which is a shame since I wanted to refresh my memory on all the post-Midgar stuff.

Yeah I'm a little too old to enjoy the mechanics of most games made before 2000 at this point, so I ended up just cheating and running through it. If you have it on steam, there's a trainer called Ochu that's legit and has a bunch of good stuff (including invincibility, all items/materia, and no random battles). And I think the ps4 version has built in cheats.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Just don't make a mistake

I tried the challenge twice, realized that this was the solution, and decided that it simply was not for me

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Good holy poo poo or bad holy poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

In abundance, that is. There's the flower patch in the church and some greenery around the orphanage(I think). It was not lost on me that those are places Aerith spends significant time.

I think there's a sidequest where you explicitly deliver flowers from Aerith's house to the orphanage so yeah, she's the only one with a green thumb in that city it looks like.