Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I didn't realise there was a dedicated thread so I already asked in the FF mega thread but maybe there'll be more information in here, are they legit going to try and make me buy 3 £60 games over the course of who knows how many years for this because that demo was cool but absolutely not "£180 and unless they're going to surprise announce the rest of it coming this year it's spanning generations so you better stick whatever a PS5 costs on there too" cool.

When they first announced it would be episodic I figured "oh like every other episodic game where you can buy the first episode and then the rest ad-hoc or just buy the game and the other episodes are just added as they come out" not this nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wait, there's going to be a disk 2 for this game?

I can't remember the last time i've played a game that needed to change discs. They're truly going hard on the nostalgia.

It'll just be a 2 disc install before you can even start playing, not a mid-game swap. RDR2 did the same thing, you get a "data" disc and a "play" disc like old school pc games.

Ethiser posted:

They are making these each into fully fleshed out games, why would they not cost the same as every other game AAA game?

I guess it's just my expectation having not followed the updates over the years since they unveiled this, because as I remember it the original pitch was "Final Fantasy VII remade" and not "Individual sections of Final Fantasy VII remade and sold to you as separate full price games over an indeterminate period of time"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

the episodic structure has been common knowledge for around two years now

And again, episodic has traditionally meant "a full price game delivered in sections" not "every episode is a full price game all of its own"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

just donít buy it, you probably arenít missing much

This is basically where I'm at.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Arist posted:

...Cool? Then why are you in this thread, if you don't mind my asking?

Because of the off chance someone would be able to say "no man you've got it wrong, the £60 price tag is the whole shebang and the rest is DLC" or something.

Sorry to clutter the discussion with questions about the topic being discussed.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I downloaded my brother's copy since I figured it couldn't hurt to play it for free regardless of how I felt about the episodic plan.

There's a cutscene in Shinra HQ where your weapons suddenly change to the defaults for every character for the duration instead of your equipped weapons like in every other cutscene in the game and that feels like a really weird oversight.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. It's the switch from in-engine to FMV. I get it, but it does jar a bit. I actually think that the in engine stuff looks good enough that the FMV was unnecessary, but clearly Square didn't for some reason or other. (There's probably a good reason for this, but I'm no game development expert.)

I figured as much since it's how pre-rendered cutscenes have always worked, it was just extra jarring because I haven't noticed it at any other point in the game so it seems like this is the first pre-rendered video (some of the wall market stuff where you don't have weapons could be too I guess, since there's no easy way to tell when equipment isn't visible) thrown into the game at ~25 hours in and almost at the end. Super weird.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Anyone who says ďhard modeĒ should be the only difficulty in any game is a gatekeeping fuckwit at worst and at best needs to think hard about how accessibility in gaming has already been more of an uphill struggle than it needs to be, and other people being able to play whatever they want under whatever conditions they choose doesnít take away from your ability to play every game on Ďyou only get the real game experience if you play it on Turbo gently caress You with a car battery hooked up to your genitalsí mode if thatís what you think makes a game fun.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

This wouldn't be a problem with the perfect video game. It would remove more of the combat as it sees you getting less interested in playing it. And change the story as you get bored on the sixth replay so it stays fresh and interesting every playthrough.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Billy Bob

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ok so this PS4 to PS5 save transfer:

I load in the PS4 version and it uploads a save file to a proprietary cloud (not PS+), right? And when I install the PS5 version it will download from this cloud, right? I won't need to keep both the PS4 and PS5 versions of the game installed at the same time to make this transfer? Because otherwise that's 1/3 of my storage lol

Thereís a start menu option right now in the latest updated PS4 version called Upload Save.

Start the PS4 version, pick that option, upload the save you want to transfer over, then go ahead and delete the game.

When the PS5 version launches thereíll be an equivalent Download/Import Save option on the start menu to bring it back.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Srice posted:

So maybe I've lost my mind and am just not seeing it but is there a way to preload the PS5 version if you already own the PS4 version? The store page for Intergrade tells me it's not available and won't let me download it from that, and I can't select the PS5 version when looking at the game in my library. I assume I just can't and will have to wait until tomorrow but I'm asking just in case I'm missing something here.

No. You can install the PS4 version and upload your save from the main menu so itís ready to transfer though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh, the articles on the subject seemed to be indicating that some of the graphical fixes would be coming to the PS4 even if the new DLC wasn't.

Frankly even the many articles that are supposed to explain this very simply, don't.

Sure they do, thereís never ever been any indication that the PS4 version was getting updated at all.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wow the loading times are great right up until you have to sneak past a dog for a random side thing, and then when it spots you and it resets you have to wait forever.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How many ranks of Fort Condor are there?

Also lol is there really a DLC-only weapon in the PSN shop that's half the price of the whole thing, I like this game but I think they might be overestimating on that one

3 ranks of opponents and then the rank 4 opponent is the grand master.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Raposa posted:

Or why Sony hates us non ps5 owners so much?

Think about it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Elentor posted:

It makes no sense for there never to be a pc port.

No, there is absolutely no precedent for a game to only appear on one platform for its entire lifespan, this is the first time anyone has ever suggested such a thing and it canít possibly be correct!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

SlimGoodbody posted:

I thought doing hard mode meant you get some level up materials that you can't get any other way?

There are skill books you can only get on hard.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Morpheus posted:

Like, weird that it's not a ps4/ps5 combined list, but two separate ones.

Every single cross-gen title with an upgrade is the exact same way. Trophies are tied to the original SKU, not the title itself.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

SnatchRabbit posted:

Thanks got it. If I am on a 1080p set is there any reason to not run in performance mode?

Nah

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Weíll find out what it all means in 6 years when FFVII R2 is a PS6 launch title.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Fedule posted:

God drat and I thought Grandmaster motherfucking Chadley was cheating on normal mode. How does he do that? I'm matching him unit for unit including barracks and I look away from the front for a second and suddenly all my units are gone and he has twice as many. And where the hell are the Officer Barracks anyway? I've cleaned out the shop and all the other players.

Send everything up the left and just keep spamming cheap units to keep him tied up. Destroy one of his towers and then concentrate on just not letting him destroy any of yours until the timer ends and you win.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

NieR Occomata posted:

This would be an okay thing if either 1) it was flatly free or 2) this was messaged at all well instead of buried in their bullshit marketing. But they did neither. They have talked up this loving dlc for months and endlessly sold it while being as opaque as possible on how to obtain it, to the point I had to look up a fuckiní Eurogamer article to find out that this is PS5 version exclusive.

This is a fuckiní slap in the face. Donít message and endlessly market this dlc without making it crystal loving clear you need a console that is currently being scalped endlessly at twice to three times its MSRP, especially when as far as I can tell this is literally the only situation period where this is happening. There is, to my knowledge, no other split generation game in existence where significant content is exclusive to one version of the game and not the other. I cannot think of one. This is it; not even Sony first party games pulled this horseshit.

Itís a video game

Also they said when it was announced it was PS5 only and thatís never been obfuscated at all

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

NieR Occomata posted:

I had to look up a Eurogamer article that actually finally confirmed it in plain black and white. The news about Intermission is buried at the bottom of the FF7R Intergrade website, in the FAQ section. Itís not messaged in their marketing, videos, or promotional materials. By nature of being a nerd on a video game forum on the internet, I am far more knowledgeable and attuned than the average person who plays video games, and if you were to ask me until literally yesterday I wouldíve told you that Intermission is twenty dollar dlc for the game that anyone can buy and play, as evidenced by me spending a half hour trying to find the DLC I know exists, because it was marketed to me endlessly, on the PS Store. This was opaquely communicated as hell, because if a total fuckiní nerd like me had literally no idea about this content being PS5 exclusive why would you ever expect someone who only played the game when it came out and wants to play the game theyíre constantly seeing videos about to know the intricacies of the differences between Squares dumb upgrade rollout plan.

And again, and the point everyone is missing: this was done not because of system limitations (if any description of what is actually in the dlc and the amount of reused assets has any weight; clearly, I havenít actually played it but from every review Iíve read and description Iíve seen this was content clearly built off the engine that was already extant).

It was done because Sony specifically paid SE a bunch of money to make this content not only console, but generationally exclusive, a practice I have literally never seen done. I have never, ever seen a company release dlc content for one generation of a game and not the other, and certainly not this gen split, which has already had probably the most split-gen games ever. And it makes the obfuscation and the poor communication therefore suspect because Square has therefore no inclination to actually make it clear that this clearly financially motivated decision on their part exists; they want everyone to want this content, this not free PS5 content,
Until either the exclusivity window ends and they magically are able to backport it or everyone has a PS5 and the point is moot anyways, whichever comes first.

I work for a vaccine site. My job is guaranteed to end in two weeks. Donít play that high-road card with me; Iím allowed to be mad at deceptive, intentionally poorly communicated, and clearly financially motivated anti-consumer practices.

You seem to be under the impression that it was ever advertised as being DLC. Itís not, itís a new story section for the PS5 edition of the game, which is what ďFinal Fantasy VII Remake IntergradeĒ is.

It actually only exists as ĎDLCí for people who are upgrading to the PS5 version from a PS4 copy of the game, because Square Enix gots to get paid at least a little bit I guess.

https://mobile.twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1365067252865900544

Hereís the announcement tweet from February, including the announcement trailer.

Itís pretty clear from both that this is for PS5. Thereís no mention of PS4, no PS4 logos anywhere.

https://mobile.twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1365377103873605648

Hereís a tweet from February with a link to an FAQ about the game.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210227004404/https://ffvii-remake-intergrade.square-enix-games.com/en-gb/

Hereís an archived copy of that FAQ page as it appeared when it was tweeted. Also notice no mention of PS4, no PS4 logos anywhere.

Neither Square Enix nor Sony ever said anything to suggest any of it would be available for PS4 - that was invented whole cloth inside your own mind, and you have nobody to blame for your disappointment but yourself. Quit being so weird about it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah they say yoofie

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Back in the day when there were no videos on the very little internet that actually existed, and everything you knew about FFVII was from gaming magazines and playground discussions and the game itself which had no voice acting, Yuffie was absolutely pronounced like that because most every other English word with an -uff is pronounced like that.

As an English speaker who has only ever seen it written down, it makes sense to imagine thatís how itís said.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

This seems like weird logic. Itís clearly DLC. Itís extra paid content for the game that you download. Just because the DLC comes with one version of the game doesnít make it not DLC

I just got out of Hojoís lab again and seriously gently caress that section so much

You canít buy any PS5 release of the game without the Yuffie content included, because itís part of the PS5 release. Itís only ďextra paid contentĒ if youíre upgrading.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Out of interest, if they released a PS5 only upgrade to Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Collection (which includes Frozen Wilds), would Frozen Wilds no longer count as DLC? I donít really follow this logic at all tbh. It has its own separate menu and everything so itís clearly meant to be separate content, and for most players, including PS5 players who buy Intergrade on disc, this content is gotten by downloading it separately. Itís literally downloadable content haha

Frozen Wilds already exists as DLC, so it would continue to exist as DLC for the PS4 version. I wouldnít consider it DLC for the PS5 version.

I think the difference in my head is it hasnít been advertised as ďBuy this DLC for your existing copy of the game!Ē because if youíre a new owner youíre getting it regardless, the closest weíve come to that is ďif youíre upgrading an existing copy the new content costs extraĒ, which clearly sets the expectation that you only get the new content if youíre going to play it on a PS5.

Regardless of where anyone sits on the DLC/not DLC side of things, the overall point is that at no point has anyone ever even hinted that it would be coming to PS4 and anyone who expected it has invented those expectations all by themselves. Itís been clear since the initial reveal this was content for the PS5 edition.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 17, 2021

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what would the storytelling purpose of having there be one reality that we play the game in and has had changes from the original canon, and another reality that's exactly the same as the first except with this addition that doesn't interact with the first

that doesn't make any sense. they're the same

What sense does loving any of it make dude itís a video game in a fantasy world.

We donít know enough to draw a conclusion one way or the other and claiming anything definitive is an absolute gamble.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Veritas posted:

Not that we know anything for certain, but: as I watched the interMISSION ending cutscenes, I instantly assumed the people were hiding out in the church as refugees after the plate fell (hence the obvious sorrow), which is what immediately preceded the cutscene in interMISSION, and also roughly coincides with the end of Remake proper.

The idea that we're seeing Zack cutscenes from parallel timelines never really occurred to me, at all. It seems far more simple, and in line with the whole "fate is being re-written" theme, that Zack is now alive, woke up some time after being left for dead by Cloud, and got to the Church just after the plates fell and found Aerith gone. Fate doesn't need to be re-written if parallel timelines exist, right? That seems needlessly complex. But this is anime, after all.

My god, I can't believe I'm theorizing about this drat story on the internet, but here we are!

The question then becomes if itís all one timeline and Zack is still alive after Cloud leaves him why do they both have the Buster Sword, possibly because timelines have been merged or some other bullshit?

But either way itís video games and anything can happen because they arenít real life, so who knows.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They kind of had to make her an all-rounder because sheís the only controllable character for this part of the game.

I wonder if/how theyíll rework her if they bring her into the main party later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why in the world would Amazon US have EU copies of the game in their US warehouses?

Sounds more like an Amazon marketplace seller.