Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah I just started FFXV and I'm amazed by how much money has been put in a pile and set on fire with all the little expensive touches, like the camping sequences and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

There are so many properties Square-Enix could revive, Actraiser, E.V.O., Valkyrie Profile, Ogre Battle, God they have a ton of great games they're just sitting on. :(

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

The only character I renamed in my current replay of FFVII is Red XIII because no way I'm using a name given to him by loving Hojo.

He's Lucky VII now.

I sometimes renamed Cloud and Red XIII to Calvin and Hobbes (And Tifa to Suzy!)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It wasn't far off, the entire Raiden mission was a fake from start to finish. The vr theory is a misunderstanding or misinterpretation more than anything else

MGS2 was panned for about a decade after it came out, it's aged like wine and I think it's a masterpiece now

I loved MGS2 from the start, even more than 3. I'd love to see it remade in the MGS5 engine, hell I'd pay good money right now for a PC MGS collection. It'll never happen though. :(

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah I just got my ps4 with like 6 games (yay tax refund) so I've got plenty to do till I do get it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Did you get Bloodborne? Cause it's best.

Even if I detest the souls games? (And somehow still own them all on steam...)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/No_X_in_Nixon/status/1243092570936205319?s=20

FROZ

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

:frogon:

Also enemy skills materia is so overpowering in the original, its how I used to cheese the arena.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The thing is with the enemy skills materia, as long as you dont let yellow materia break, you're golden.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

PSN Store?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Okay I'm coming here to bitch, because I have to bitch somewhere! This is not at all what the clue means.

The piano in the mansion is broken, specifically the keys TI and RE don't work, which is what they're labeled in the piano ui.

This isn't the first time I've had this kind if irritation, I've noticed that it sometimes happens that people willing to write video game guides are kind of oblivious.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 1, 2020

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Not that it's relevant to this thread at all but what the hell, another time I've felt this kind of pique was with this entry about Morrowinds Boethiah's Pillow Book:

a knob posted:

It can be assumed that placing the book under one's pillow will give them dreams from Boethiah, or at least let Boethiah's voice be heard within the confines of one's head.

That is not what a pillow book is, you knob! "Pillow Books" are something like the Kama Sutra.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

You should definitely give it to me to protect your ps4.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Usually I charge but you're a goon so I'll do it for free.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

One thing I noticed recently is how much FF7s soundtrack has in common with FF5s. It's almost like Uematsu had one style for 4/6/8 and another for 5/7. I mean check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-EfK4dVBV8

Right around :25-30 sounds very FF7 to me.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I wish they'd just do something good with their more obscure title, Vagrant Story, Actraiser, Valkyrie Profile, I'd love some more of any of those.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Naked Palmer

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

i wanna give cloud a big pair o titties

"Those are... mako tits."

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I realized that Kingdom Hearts 3 didn't get ported, actually.

I think, even though they're developed and published by square-enix, the rights to those belong to Disney.

I'm personally surprised they were never ported en masse to Nintendo systems, it seems like that would have been a no-brainer.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I love how they even got the interplay between the two guards right after the train station.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Disc 3 is basically the final dungeon and ending FMV so yeah, I could see them wrapping this up in 3 games, depending how much they plan on expanding other stuff.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Out in the field unfortunately no, unlike the original where you could use potions and cure magic from the inventory.
In battle you got some options such as pairing magnify and healing materia (magnify is the same as 'all' materia from the original) or the 'prayer' command materia which is incredibly powerful.

If you hold l1 while using potions outside of battle the menu stays up and you can spam them.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, that dog did not gently caress around.

Also it was semi-annoying dealing with the drakes because yes, great, wind vulnerability sounds wonderful you haven't made any wind materia available yet you friggin' game, but at least so far it seems like any spell + Focused Thrust will get most dudes 90% of the way to staggered.

You can get wind materia from Chadley before you go in.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

My thoughts is that the next two will have open-world/"landscape" style areas, kind of like FFXV and/or FFXII. My big question is how much backtracking they'll actually allow, for stuff like Fort Condor.

Fake edit: Now that I think about it, FFX would be a pretty good model of how they can do open-feeling "outdoor" areas while still being fairly linear.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

He's shrill, annoying and cringe inducing.

Dont sign your posts.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That's what she said.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Phenotype posted:

I haven't been spoiled yet and I'm only on Chapter 6, but have they talked at all about being able to save Aeris this go-round?

e: also, how's the FF7 release on Switch? I'm kinda getting the urge to play the original, might dive into that once I finish the remake.

FF7 on switch is great.

Edit: also, I figured out how they could do the Fort Condor stuff without significant backtracking: as an in-universe phone game.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

It also raises the question: does Reeve just, like, hang out as Cait Sith? Is he spending most of his time as a cat unless people need him to be Reeve?

it's his fursona.

Reeve is the FF7 version of that kid from the r/relationships thread who "came out" to his family that he was into anal vore.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean even in the original a lot of cloud's issues kind of originate from that promise. His shame over not being able to make it as a soldier is why he hid his identity when he returned to Nibelheim with Zack and i'm pretty sure it's basically why his psyche post-Hojo experiments decides to adopt the history of someone way cooler and more successful than himself. I think the game is just doing some extra set up for Cloud's past in Midgar since it's basically a whole game to itself now.

Actually, I always kind of figured the tanks Cloud and Zack were in were filled with Mako, so I've always figured that Cloud actually absorbed some of Zach's memories through the Mako and thought they were his own as much as it was a wish fulfillment thing.

Also, Roches existence is kind of a subtle hint that cloud was never in Soldier: Roche is 3rd Class, there's no way Cloud should have so much trouble dealing with him.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Dr Pepper posted:

The little conversation he had with the milquetoast Shinra suit at the very beginning of the game was as subtle as a wrecking ball.

https://twitter.com/No_X_in_Nixon/status/1248528388123435008?s=20

Edit: also

https://twitter.com/No_X_in_Nixon/status/1247406784978890753?s=20

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Veib posted:

The pc version doesn't have the extremely convenient qol cheats (3x speed, no random encounters) that all console versions have, I dunno if there are mods for that

There are actually two pc ports, the one currently available on steam does, IIRC, have those features but if you want to mod it you actually have to run a downgrader to make it like the old pc port (and that disables those features.)

I would honestly recommend the switch port, if you have one. Jrpgs are just better on portable systems.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Elmyra "takes care" of any hobos who show up. What do you think makes the plants grow so nice and healthy?

it's bodies, elmyra buries them all out there

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

This might be a weird thing to care about, but I think it's kind of nice that they didn't use "jiggle physics" for Tifa except for when she's wearing that dress to try and seduce Don Corneo. They also used it for Corneo's gut.

Also, the other day I found out Don Corneo literally means Mr. Horny.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

You can also break the early game with Enemy Skills, as soon as you get Cait Sith and the manipulate materia, you can get Big Guard, White Wind, and possibly Beta, as well as soon getting Trine and Aqualung. As soon as you get to Wutai you can get Magic Hammer, which can make ethers obsolete.

Also https://twitter.com/No_X_in_Nixon/status/1251794759829655557?s=20

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That feeling when you realize you missed the Added Effect materia 10 hours of game ago in a place you can't revisit.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Skeletron posted:

I'm afraid of missing poo poo this time around but goddamn there is so much stuff they managed to cram into this game it's pretty insane.

There are only a few things I think you can permanently miss:
1. The "added effect" materia is in a one-time dungeon, when you go to learn about Red XIIIs dad. Guess who missed it this time around? :smithicide:
2. The W-Item materia the when you return to Midgar late in the game.
3. Cids triple-AP weapon right by where you fight carry armor.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mako smells like high-grade :420:

has anyone done corona/jenova jokes yet

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'd love a doc that let you use the oldschool 3d models. Or just a shader that made them look that way.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I want a Stamp DLC.

I also want a Classic Model dlc, with a bunch of goraud-shaded polygons everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

JBP posted:

It's a nod to the shop in the original with a broken Gatling gun. If you return later you get an item in the original. I forgot to check it out in this one, maybe there's something in the later chapters.

I actually can't find it when I returned.