Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Chapter 9 spoilers:

Is this a loving YAKUZA game ahahhaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ch.8: fighting Rude you break his sunglasses and he pulls out a new pair. GOTY.

This is the point where I thought ok they know exactly what they’re doing, they made a funny game

And then the next chapter happens oh my god. OH MY GOD

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How hard is the postgame stuff? I just beat the game (loved it) and I want to play more. I really liked the battle system and wanted to do more of that stuff but already by the end of the game I was dreading having to do some of these boss fights without ethers

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Everyone I know thought Barrett was bad in like chapter 2 or 3. By the time you’re in endgame you see the most range out of him and he’s imo super likeable

Artelier posted:

is it worth it to steal from bosses? it fails so often but maybe there's something missable?

One boss, at the end of train graveyard, gives you a weapon for aerith. I think that’s about it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

bobby2times posted:

It can be made way easier by grinding out certain materias. I'd recommend elemental, hp up, mp up, chakra, and prayer at the very least. Also, look up Barrets healer build where he doesnt have to use any mp at all. That made all the hard VR missions a breeze for me.

Honestly I’m ok with hard needing stuff like this. I prefer it to no option at all besides “be really good at the combat”

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Augus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUQALX7twYE
this song is a banger and it’s title is a :master:

This game has like 200 songs and half of them are amazing and half are nice to listen to while playing but not standalone and listening to a YouTube playlist does not help

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Super No Vacancy posted:

that one bangs as a standalone song too, actually

Absolutely but I want a playlist of only standalone bangers

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m doing the multiple dresses, do all side quests and Johnny trophies - do I have to finish chapter 9 for these to count?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

stev posted:

Run back along the route between there and Wall Market? If you've done every sidequest it should be sat in the middle of the path. It's a thank you note with the materia attached.

Fuuuuuuuuuck I chapter selected out to 17 after getting the all sidequests trophy

Do I have to redo all this poo poo

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I also missed Tifa’s chapter 16 weapon is there any way to get that other than playing through the super long chapter again up to that point?

And what do people use as materia for Hard? Getting plenty of HP MP ups, 3 cures... I guess you need multiple revives too

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

HD DAD posted:

*its remake part 3 and cloud and party arrive at the bottom of the northern crater to finally fight sephiroth*

johnny, out of nowhere: “Bro! You’re gonna have to get through me if you wanna go any further!”

*injects himself with jenova cells and transforms into an eldritch horror*

“B R O”

J-E-B-R-O-V-A

Also I’m on chapter 3 hard now and actually... it’s fine? I may have over prepared running around doing VR missions and grabbing weapons I missed last time around. But the random enemies are still kinda chumps and you have just enough MP in random boxes to make cures doable.

I did notice yoh need to do side quests for some manuscripts which could make some of the chapters really difficult

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m now on chapter 9 hard and dreading hell house. To this point though the game has been a good challenge but not impossible, you have to go in prepared and swap elements and stuff.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I beat hard mode hell house first try! I was super super over prepared, looked up guides and materia builds and all that but in the end drat that’s still just a hard fight. If I didn’t know beforehand to save Aerith’s limit break for the end I would have been so annoyed. I also ended with both characters 20 MP despite multiple MP Ups

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ZZZorcerer posted:

Finished, great game :shobon:

Now... either to continue Judgement or Death Stranding

Hmm DS my be a bit bleak right now

Yeah I really liked DS, took a break to play some other games, and then by the time I was locked in my house for 2 months trying to courier things to my house I was like hm I’m ok

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If you fight it on hard, that will definitely be true. Since you can’t use items.

Oddly enough I’m having very little issue with that part of hard. It is difficult to figure out how much MP is safe to use on trash fights and still be able to do the bosses, especially in chapters with multiple boss fights (not looking forward to the last chapters)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok I took a break from this game to play some other stuff but man the combat in this is so good. And I want more story. I want part 2 to not come out in 3 years :(

Awesome game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fargin Icehole posted:

Calling it now. Soon as they're entirely done with this, next project is gonna be a modernized FF6 and it'll be out by 2033

15 FF games is enough. Just go back and remake the good ones and make them something different. We’ll never be satisfied with whatever Ff16 is

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yes! Good! Don’t be $77!!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Katt posted:

I bought a PS4 just for this game and I lost interest about after the church scene.

It has the characters of FF7 and the story is vaguely in that direction but this game pushes none of the buttons that made me love that original game.

I kinda feel the opposite. Loved FF7 as a kid, grew to be kinda cynical about it with age, this game made me feel like a kid playing FF7 for the first time again. Really charming and just... likeable?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The soundtrack should be out today right?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

https://music.apple.com/us/album/final-fantasy-vii-remake-original-soundtrack/1513522478

Someone posted an Apple Music link, can’t find it on Spotify yet. This looks incomplete though? Looks like about 2 discs, only gets to about chapter 10 in the game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

anakha posted:

It got taken off Apple music quickly, hopefully it gets added back.

I heard it's available in Spotify Japan, but not over here yet.

Yeah it had half the track list and was slowly getting more added. I think someone flipped the switch too early.

Surprisingly every single song has the composer listed! Some of them are not who I expected.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Arkage posted:

It has everything except the last disc in the physical edition, which has the radio tunes you can collect.

I now no longer see the soundtrack on Apple Music or Spotify :( not sure if it’s just me

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hard mode is basically “I want to keep playing”. The first hard mode boss is tuned so you are meant to fight them after beating the game.

I personally love it because I really liked the combat and battle system and wanted more of it - even though the fights don’t change too much the increased difficulty makes you really have to get good at it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I bought the soundtrack and man that’s a lot of songs. I need playlists to split the soundtrack cuz right now it’s weird to get a movie score followed by a dubstep fight song

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

anakha posted:

One whole disc of the OST is dedicated to Chapter 9 songs alone. That's insane.

I didn’t realize the Cloud Dance scene is actually like a full 6 tracks

Also all the different composers being listed is a really nice touch. I’m starting to correctly guess who did what without looking

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Magic is absolutely busted with how much it can increase the stagger gauge and get enemies into Pressured state - the reason you have to charge for seconds to get off a thundaga is because that thundaga is pressuring some of the toughest enemies in the game and leading to a stagger and loads of damage

It helps to look at some no-damage combat videos - not because you should aim for no damage but because it can highlight how quickly you can actually destroy enemies

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

I think heavy attack is what happens when you hold attack in Operator mode.

Red glow is Berserk, which he sets from holding attack in Punisher mode.

It looked to me like Tifa did an attack that knocked the opponent into the air and did a Chi Trap underneath it before it landed, causing it to bounce on it in a continual juggle.

Tifa is using both the Deadly Dodge and Parry materia. She might be using them for animation canceling purposes, repositioning purposes, or in the case of Deadly Dodge, because dodging allows her to combo into a fantastic spinning kick attack.

A lot of top-level Tifa players (Awesome that this is a thing honestly) Use Deadly Dodge and Parry - she has some combos that can only be done if you're using those including I believe her crazy infinite ATB loops that spam ATB and then get it back fast enough to basically never stop using ATB commands

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

A weird little detail I never paid attention to before. Some Shinra employees including managers live in the slums.

That's a bit ironic.

Do they? I know a lot of people early on were visiting the slums as a tourism thing (they have a name for it and everything)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I'm doing what I think is the last set of side-quests before the run up to the end of the game (chapter 14). Comments:

- Leviathan VR fight is giving me a lot of trouble. I can't seem to reliably stop it from casting that one huge attack, and that attack instantly wipes out everyone. I might try it again with a Magnify -> Barrier combo so I can keep up wondering where he found the time to moonlight as a dancer

Gameplay questions:
- Is Overpower Tifa's best skill for building stagger?
- When do you want to use Starshower with her?
- Do you ever want to use Infinity Something with Cloud when an enemy isn't staggered (forget the name, that skill that uses 2 ATB bars and does extra damage to staggered enemies and also takes very long to cast and frequently misses the target)? Is Focused Thrust always Cloud's best skill for building stagger?
- Is Focused Shot Barret's best stagger-building skill?

You can do Leviathan up until almost the end of the game - Chadley keeps popping up. At the end you can choose the party you want for it if it's too tough.

For stagger: You'll notice sometimes when you do a lot of damage to enemies suddenly or hit them with certain attacks they go into a Pressured state. When they're Pressured, any skill with Focused in the name builds up stagger extremely quickly (So Focused Shot, Focused Thrust, Focused Strike for tifa). Generally, your best bet is to Pressure an enemy and then use these skills. A strong magic hit an enemy is weak to will usually pressure them, lots of continual damage will pressure them. You can just spam the Focused abilities to get pressure too.

I think Overpower on Tifa is a skill that can put enemies into that state quickly. It's also one of those skills that is stronger when Tifa is buffed with Unbridled Strength btw! The game doesn't tell you this! If you Unbridled Strength twice (changes your triangle move) your normal square attacks and a lot of other weapon skills get additional abilities. This is why she's sometimes doing crazy flips and followups and sometimes isn't.

Starshower does buff your next attack but is itself a really good skill. It does AOE damage, it hits hard, gives her a buff. It's good to use!

Tifa ALSO gets a skill that lets her increase the stagger %, making enemies take more damage from all damage while staggered (Along with her triangle combos which also do this)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’ve been thinking about the game a lot because I bought the soundtrack and it’s so long I still really haven’t heard all of it so my (limited) car trips have lots of FF7 music

Personally yeah I didn’t like the reused sewer parts, the run up to Airbuster, how long they made shinra tower BUT I did love the fact that you spent like 40 hours with these characters before leaving midgar.

It’s tough because I’m not sure how you get 40 hours of character development and still have the important end point of leaving midgar. I think they had a tough job there, one which the future games should have much less trouble with - there is enough game in the other parts of the original you don’t have to invent a sewer to run through.

If you think about it a decent amount of the character development that happens post midgar actually took place earlier here because you spend so much longer with the characters - but they couldn’t have you suddenly pop off to golden saucer then come back to midgar to end it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bleck posted:

must have been really disappointing to all of the people who hadn't played Final Fantasy 7, one of the most popular video games ever made

I have multiple friends whose first interaction with the game was the remake

Some of them have played lots of FF games even! In his case he tried to start FF7, felt too dated, and he said he’d wait for the remake

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ulio posted:

Just beat the Hell House fight, man that was hard. I realized too late I was suppose to take off his limbs because they weren't adding any stagger until you completely destroyed them. That fight ended up being way longer than it needed to be.

Btw is there a way to dodge the unblockable attack he does after his flying round, hellbound I think it's called?

Even when you redo the fight in hard mode it’s really hard and long. You pretty much have to hit the weaknesses with great timing and go in with a good materia load out and full MP. If the fight catches you off guard it can go incredibly long

In hard mode the hell house shoots out tonberries at you. At low It he also summons the 2 robots you fight right before it (you’re supposed to use aerith’s invincible limit break and just go ahead and tank it)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Just started playing this and I'm sure this has been brought up before but when I look at Biggs all I can see is Charlie Sheen and I cant deal with it

It’s so similar it has to 100% be intentional

I remember back in 2001 or something they asked one of the artists where they can design so many brand new realistic characters for FFX. And the designer was like “yeah it’s just an actor. I can’t tell you which one because then you’ll see it too”

Everything about Avalanche is so 90s down to the music and the scene with them parachuting down to midgar. Haven’t figured out which 80s/90s actress Jessie is yet

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Thinking back on it I wonder if he was talking about Auron in FFX clearly being Jeff goldblum

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I figured out I should use braver first time

I never figured out to use it right as he reloads. That was a very long fight. I think I used counterstance a lot which at least looked stylish

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The voice actors in FF14 are all british theater actors, which suits the story. Partially why the game despite a pretty limited presentation has such strong moments - the acting and writing stand out, just like a play would

FF7 actors are all hot people from teen drama soaps. The moments are cool because you do a badass flip and cut something in half and Cloud says a line. It's the blockbuster summer movie of the FF franchise and they loving nail it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Roche jumps in and does a 3600 degree spin then keeps spinning while he slides down the mountain fighting you with a sword

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Iacen posted:

Just started again with “New Game +”, essentially running through the game on Easy and clowning on looks. God I hope they either announce something about part 2 or just say “that’s what you get”. But man this is so good!

You should try New Game + on hard! It's pretty fun and gives you a reason to care a bit more about the (actually very good) battle system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If FF7R does not win the soundtrack something is horribly wrong.

Personally for GOTY I think it would be deserving, although personally I would pick Hades. But I have a feeling it'll win a bunch of the other stuff too (Yakuza is actually a really good RPG...)