Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hard mode kinda freaks me out because I'm maybe halfway through Normal and it feels like I'm already spending too much time in menus fiddling with my party's loadout given how often the types of enemies change, and whether I expect a boss, or my party members change, and from levelling and getting new equipment. Most of the time I spend in the Command Menu in battle is refreshing my memory on who can do what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not sure why I expected the Shinra enemies going up to the Sector 7 plate were going to be cannon fodder for me. Those were some tough fights, espcially when it was just Cloud. Effin' helitroopers, man. A grenade to their face helps a lot but aiming/timing them is the trick.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Solaris 2.0 posted:

When I discovered that those Helitroopers are instantly staggered with Aero it made fighting them a hell of a lot easier.

Now the RIOT troopers? gently caress those guys. I save up all my grenades specifically for those bastards.

The riot troopers I lit up with lightning to give me openings. Then when Tifa joined back up I just used positioning and switched back and forth to whoever was behind the trooper.

I don't know why I didn't think of Aero for the helitroopers. Though I'm pretty sure I Assessed them and that didn't come up...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Like a lot of entertainment districts around the world it loses its charm once in the light of day.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What's everyone's stance on using Barrier/Manaward/Manawall? Is it worth the ATB and MP cost to help protect yourself for a little while or do people just heal if/when they take a lot of damage?

Moola posted:

im waiting for my friend to finish this game and its incredibly tough. He has no idea what's in store and I wanna talk about the ending SO BAD

I'm almost at the ending but I think just through hearing conversations about the game for eons I have an inkling about a couple things but we'll see!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Harrow posted:

Barrier, Manaward, and Manawall are really strong. They fully halve the damage you take and can be a lifesaver in a lot of fights. Magnify + Barrier materia makes fights like Leviathan a lot more manageable.

Yeah, I just beat Leviathan yesterday after a couple tries and that was the fight that made me wonder about it. Specifically the Tidal Wave attack, which I decided to try and prevent rather than endure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kaworu posted:

OK! I just FINALLY kicked this bad boy off, and I am like... sooooo psyched! I have been in a difficult living situation for the past 6 months, and haven't had access to anything aside from my laptop and Switch in terms of gaming potential - no monitor, no TV, nothing like that. And no real time to sit down and play the game, even if I had the means at my disposal. Between working all the time and not working at all, I'll take the one that keeps a roof over my head. This is all to say that, this week (and probably the next) I am staying in a cozy little motel with a nice big flatscreen for me to hook my PS4 up to, and FINAAALLLLYYY get my FFVII Remake on! WOOO! I have been looking forward to this for... well, two decades, like most of you!

poo poo, I just started on Saturday, and I'm already in Chapter 4 (PLEASE tell me I am not too far along I don't want this game to go by me too fast!) I mean I am.... REALLY trying to take my time with this one and get EVERYTHING without using any walkthroughs. I mean, I'm just really taking my time to check every blind alley, listen to what every NPC has to say, try and find every 'hidden' treasure chest/materia, and so forth. Again, I know I am missing stuff and going slowly because I'm not using a walkthrough and I'm not perfect, but this is my first playthrough and I have special rules for first playthrough when it's... well, a game like this which I know I'll want to play at least one more time. On that playthrough (I heard there is a hard mode) I can use a guide and get EVERYTHING..

But I am going SUPER slow I think, lol... I am at the 10 hour mark right now, and I just parachuted back into Sector 7 with Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge who are all so fun and wholesome to hang out with! I heard the game is like 40 hours long if you "take your time a bit", but I REALLY hope that I'm not already 1/4 through the drat game! I mean, we haven't even LEFT to go on the second mission yet! It's more like I'm maybe an 1/8th of the way through Midgar... Which is of course like 1/8th of the way through the game itself.

Also, I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was nervous about how future chapters are going to be - like do you just start over in terms of power? I mean, I am assuming that this CHAPTER 1 is still a complete RPG and like.... You get MASTER materia and badass equipment by the end... But how do they work with that in a future game? Do we just reset Cloud to level 1 with the understanding that monsters are so much stronger outside of Midgar that it's LIKE you start over? Who knows, I dont even know how this one ends maybe they addressed that with a plot point who tha gently caress knows...

Any tips, as well, in general? Cool stuff or semi-secret stuff I might miss? I am playing on standard/normal mode and finding the game lots of fun, but... a bit too easy to abuse aspects of the battle system? I have died twice, so maybe I should not say that... It is a TON of fun and such a blast to play though, and I adore this characterization of Cloud. He is so much more... pretty :swoon:

But seriously, I am so impressed at how much better-written and more complex and interesting he is, this time around. He feels like a real person, and I love his subtle facial expressions. The personality of this guy comes through in those subtly furrowed brows, the widened eyes and averted gaze, and so on. None of that was in the original, and frankly the translation/localization effort was rushed and poor. I mean, we all know this. But it was like I was meeting Cloud again for the first time ever, in this game. And that it did not disappoint me, and I came away impressed and... frankly, feeling a unique mix of nostalgia, awe, and allure. This game really is something.

I'm at 50 hours and very near towards the end of my first playthrough. I would say I played similarly to you in terms of taking my time to find everything. But Hard mode would add a lot more hours and once you're done you can spend extra time replaying certain missions or grinding. So even after you're done the story you're not necessarily done with the game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If I go back and try to ace the darts minigame that's probably a couple hours right there.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

drat, looks like I missed Mythril Saber. Got so used to the shops selling the same things over and over again I didn't even think to check before the point of no return.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The thing I don't love about the weapon upgrade system is it's hard to get an overview of everything. If you want to know what one weapon is good for you have to go into that weapon's system of cores and tab around and then also go into the Equipment menu to see its effect on your stats and then to compare to another weapon you're going back and forth into those two sub-menus for again. Same with Materia, which is just a display of coloured orbs. I would have preferred a list so I could see faster what everyone has equipped.

Adus posted:

i did this in like 10 minutes and was like gently caress yeah i am still good at video games

then i proceed to do so terribly in actual combat that i got frustrated and turned the game to classic.

the universe has a cruel sense of humor.

I've got drift in the left joystick so it's tough. Doubt I'll plat it anyway so it's no big deal. I did perfect the squat challenge.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 8, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WaltherFeng posted:

Wow Leviathan is very unfun fight. Ill do this when Im OP as hell.

Is it Tidal Wave? I got through that fight by topping up health in the time it takes for Tidal Wave to be unleashed so I could bear the brunt of it. I brought it up yesterday or the day before but I should have also been using Barrier to help with that. It can also be interrupted.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WaltherFeng posted:

That and had no idea what I was supposed to do when he starts flying in the air for 5 minutes and I had nothing to hit him with. Even Barret had a melee weapon. Then a summon attack knocked him down but I got owned by Tidal Wave.

Oh yeah, I didn't know either. I had Barret casting spells but it was really annoying trying to stay out of the way of those three waterspouts chasing me around. Is it too high up for Tifa and Cloud to melee? Not sure I even tried.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

redreader posted:

You can do it when you've done all of the other available side-quests before the "once you do this you can't go back!' point.

edit: man some fights just loving killed me. You save up 2 atb points and use them on some super-move and as soon as you press the button the enemy dodges and your super-move dumbly executes on thin air.

My other favourite is using up 22 mp on some -aga spell and as soon as you use the mp you get hit and go flying and you never even cast the loving spell. Or you cast it and the bad guy just dodges it

The extra casting time is weird since the mana cost is already high so did it really need to be a double-whammy?

I hardly ever use -aga spells unless it's Cure or Thunder.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The main factor for me in winning the squat challenge was learning that the fatigue button presses are always six. That helped me a lot with getting back into the rhythm.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

My sister texted me that her husband couldn’t watch her play the game any more because Tifa was too hot.

My brother-in-law is a dork

He decided this or your sister told him he couldn't?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When I do use them it's on bosses, yeah. Easier to manage interruptions of my party members during boss fights, easier to justify using items to replenish MP, and easier to land a hit with the spells.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Why is the Shinra Tower segment designed to suck all the fun and momentum out of the game? Good lord, between the stairs and air duct and monkey bars they sure do want me spending a ton of time trudging through this chapter. If not for the Combat Simulator was the last fight I had seriously back down in the parking garage because it feels like it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's fine, I'm just venting. Never played the original so I have no comparison but it's not really about fights per se. When I sit down to play a videogame I hope for some kind of exciting gameplay challenge and in this game that's usually a fight. So it's frustrating to spend the time I have jogging and then walking and then literally crawling along a very linear path.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I find it hard to believe that a game that isn't open world has the arena and combat simulators as actual locations you have to go, especially only in certain chapters, rather than something you can select from the menu after you unlock them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kaworu posted:

Something I love about those "visions" is that I don't think it was ever explicitly revealed if Cloud is actually see a vision of the future, or "remembering" a version of the past. Seems like a pretty fundamental question - it may be answered, I'm only on Chapter 9. I think Cloud's only seen it once in a flash, too, at this point, when Aerith tells him about the Holy materia at the base of her braid.

Actually, I'm technically on Chapter 3 because I restarted my game. Yeah, might seem weird, but I found out that there were some... relatively important things I had missed.

Most of all and stupidest of all was I never got the Luck Up materia from Wedge, despite spending15 minutes mastering the darts game and getting the top score! I didn't even know it was there. I was trying to find out why Steal was so lovely and takes half a dozen tries to work no matter what enemy, and how I might raise my luck stats other than like a single weapon ability of Tifa's, so yeah. I also realized I had missed the Elemental materia in that catwalk area with the BIG lights, when I got distracted with getting the summoning materia behind the fans I forgot about the drat blue materia I saw at the beginning, didn't realize it until WAY too late, and didn't realize it was going to be a materia that would be impossible to replace going forward. I think I figured it would be one of like 3 or 4 ALL materia or something since it was the first blue materia you see up to that point, unless I missed others, hah. Of course, there is no ALL and we have like... Magnify instead, I think?

Ah, drat. Didn't know about the early Luck Up materia or I would have tried harder at darts. I didn't get my first one until the squats challenge five chapters later.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WaltherFeng posted:

Edit: Someone posted the idea of equipping toad rings for 2 characters so you'll be playing as Cloud and 2 toads lol.

That's how I saw one YouTuber do "solo" fights where you were required to have a full party.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

for the best experience, buy a PS1 and a CRT television and play it in your childhood bedroom

Even if a new family has long since moved in to that house.

Especially if.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you can't use items at all in Hard and assuming you got all the weapons and armour and materia you wanted in your first playthrough, are Gil and chests irrelevant except for the rare time you have to pay money to a quest character?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PT6A posted:

Yes.

And you will have so much gil that it's essentially a non-issue even if you ignore treasure chests.

The hope is that I could ignore chests, yeah. Assuming I keep my MP replenished the path through each chapter can be more blissfully linear.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DeathChicken posted:

It helps that in a gameplay sense Tifa felt like the most fun to play. Cloud is sort of barebones melee (although you can do interesting things with his counter attacks), Barret is barebones range, Aerith is also range but trading speed for strength. And then Tifa has her own branch of melee where she has a half dozen options to go into another half dozen options and all of them are viable to do different bad things to an enemy

When focusing on one enemy I prefer Tifa but with multiple enemies I like Cloud. The way that the constant decisions regarding your stance mix with your various methods of movement or closing the distance and the decision of when to block or not mean that I'm always striving to be this whirling blade of death across the battlefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, screw this Rufus fight. This game is not for me.

Edit: Sorry for the negative energy. No one wants to read these kinds of posts so I'm just gonna peace out. I appreciate the tips!

Lobok fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 19, 2020