Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Im going to be away on new years so I'm making this thread early.

Same rules apply on the whole, a challenge here is an auto:toxx: if you don't want to toxx yourself you need to say so, you can change your challenge by posting an equivalent challenge.

Remember the consequences, its ban+30.

Good luck

E: Please post about your success or failure of last years challenge in the 2019 thread

Namtab fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Post reserved to post the challenges at the start of the year rather than having to trawl through at the end of the year

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

No

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I'll watch twelve animes this year, one for each month, suggested by people in this thread, that i've never seen before.
some basic ground rules: twelve different people, you're gonna have to also call which month to watch it in (and if the months taken it will be discarded). I have to have not watched it before (we can loosely say anything i've dropped before the midpoint counts as not seen), if you call something i've seen ill give you a second shot. No hard limit on episodes per series but I reserve the right to veto anything above 60 (you can get another shot if I veto it).

twelve isn't a ton but I like the idea of making a calendar around it

Comprehensive Tracker if you want to stalk my progress

JAN: Youjo Senki aka Tanya (Davincie)
FEB: SSSS.Gridman (Ibblebibble)
MAR: Blast of Tempest (Erg)
APR: K-on!! (Namtab)
MAY: ReLIFE (Klapman)
JUN: Twelve Kingdoms (tulalip tulips)
JUL: Welcome to the N.H.K. (Julias)
AUG: BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (Draxion)
SEP: The Hakkenden (Gorf)
OCT: Overman King Gainer (Parallax)
NOV: Akanesasu Shoujo (bees)
DEC: Shinsekai Yori (Dogsicle)

RME fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 8, 2020

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

RME posted:

I'll watch twelve animes this year, one for each month, suggested by people in this thread, that i've never seen before.
some basic ground rules: twelve different people, you're gonna have to also call which month to watch it in (and if the months taken it will be discarded). I have to have not watched it before (we can loosely say anything i've dropped before the midpoint counts as not seen), if you call something i've seen ill give you a second shot. No hard limit on episodes per series but I reserve the right to veto anything above 50ish (you can get another shot if I veto it).

do you have a MAL or something for what you've already seen

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Given that the only thing I was able to achieve was the visual novel challenge my toxx is thus:

Finish, at minimum, two visual novels suggested by goons itt (i reserve the right to say no to anything distasteful)

The at minimum clause means that if i clear the two visual novels early i have to ask for another (although the challenge applies only to the first two)
I must also endeavour to evidence at least 10 hours playtime per month in some way (this is to prevent a lack of momentum).
I must start from the beginning
I must achieve, as far as is reasonably possible, all the endings

1. Umineko no naku koro ni (all of them)
2. The nonary games (one of which I admittedly read as an LP)

Namtab fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 31, 2019

RME
Feb 20, 2012

nah i never bothered to set one up, just suggest something and I'll tell you
like I said if i've seen it before i'll let you repick

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

RME posted:

some basic ground rules: twelve different people, you're gonna have to also call which month to watch it in (and if the months taken it will be discarded). I have to have not watched it before (we can loosely say anything i've dropped before the midpoint counts as not seen), if you call something i've seen ill give you a second shot. No hard limit on episodes per series but I reserve the right to veto anything above 50ish (you can get another shot if I veto it).

Have you seen K-on!/K-on!!

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Namtab posted:

Have you seen K-on!/K-on!!

i've seen K-on! but not K-on!! yet so pick a month

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll watch 10 different anime from recommendation's I ask for and 1 at complete random from MAL.

i will also read all of Fate/Hollow Ataraxia and catch up to the Shadowbringers expansion from where I am in Heavensward in FFXIV. No idgaf that it's not anime, I need something to get me caught up in that game.

My only real condition is if it's above 50 episodes, I'm probably gonna veto it unless you give me something I can really get in with. Will cleanup my MAL and post it here after work tonight.

Second Edit: Alright, here it is

Edit: Wait sorry, Namtab already recommended something

Shield Hero - Namtab (FINISHED: NOT GOOD)
Hanebado! - Erg (FINISHED: VERY GOOD)
Detroit Metal City - Davinci (FINISHED: OKAY)
Magic Kaito 1412 - Squark
Lupin III Part 1 - Dogsicle
Drifters - WarkSay
Revolutionary Girl Utena - AnoHito
Given - Burrito
Saki- Endorph
Strawberry Marshmallow - Spaceflower
Nitabou: Tsugaru Shamisen Shiso Gaibun - Random

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 17, 2020

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

RME posted:

i've seen K-on! but not K-on!! yet so pick a month

April for the anniversary

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

RME posted:

nah i never bothered to set one up, just suggest something and I'll tell you
like I said if i've seen it before i'll let you repick

Have you seen Blast of Tempest, a very good March anime

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

I haven't done this before but I figured why not this year. e:actually i'll take it down a notch and include my original goal

Watch
1) Kaiji or Bungo Stray Dogs or Hyouge Mono
2) Garden of Sinners

Read
3) Muv-Luv. I'm probably going to be very busy later in the year so im downgrading again to just Extra and Unlimited for now

Argona fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 28, 2020

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

to RME

october: king gainer

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

Shield Hero - Namtab

Recommended is a very strong and weighted word

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ok shield hero recommender

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

On reflection of last (this?) year's toxx I have come to the realization that I have projected a capitalist model onto watching anime. There is no great exchange of ideas anime and instead I will do whatever I want to do with my free time with no sense of obligation. The obligation that I put on myself almost caused a fatal amount of burnout to this hobby I so enjoy. However I wish you all luck with your toxxes and you all have my full support going into the new year. Both on your toxxes and a personal basis.

Cheers

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RME posted:

JAN:
FEB:
MAR: Blast of Tempest (Erg)
APR: K-on!! (Namtab)
MAY:
JUN:
JUL:
AUG:
SEP:
OCT: King Gainer (Parallax)
NOV:
DEC:

If you haven't seen it already, I would like to reccomend Welcome to the NHK in July.

As for myself, I want to watch and finish these following anime by the end of 2020:
Teekyu 2-9
Flip Flappers
Planet With
Hinamatsuri
Sarazanmai

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

This year I'll watch 5 animes people in this thread recommend, if i've finished all 5 before half the year has gone i'll add 5 more. No mecha recs please, I watch a lot of mecha in my own time and the point is to expand my horizons.

Namtab posted:

Given that the only thing I was able to achieve was the visual novel challenge my toxx is thus:

Finish, at minimum, two visual novels suggested by goons itt (i reserve the right to say no to anything distasteful)

The at minimum clause means that if i clear the two visual novels early i have to ask for another (although the challenge applies only to the first two)
I must also endeavour to evidence at least 10 hours playtime per month in some way (this is to prevent a lack of momentum).

Umineko

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

This year I'm going with show recs from other people because when left to my own devices I pick 367 eps of anime to watch. The official Erg :toxx: list of anime to watch for 2020 is:

outer wilds (dryzen)
Azazel San (dav)
Ring Ni Kakero (gorf)
Kimagure Orange☆Road (para)
Scryed (Dub) (baal)
Cross Game (allarion)
Nisekoi (orv)
Dirty Pair (TV) (dog)
ACTORS -Songs Connection- (squark)
Citrus (rme)
Teekyu (kagaya)

I keep doing extracurricular toxxes and this year I feel like adding something that I keep making half hearted stabs at might help. I'm going to toxx on learning all 2200 kanji in Remember the Kanji 1 this year. I've got a head start of about 100 from my last attempt so fingers crossed I won't fizzle out again. For my own tracking sake I'll consider my goal hitting 90% of the kanji in the "learned" category of one of those flashcard systems or whatever other metric I might switch to

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Erg posted:

This year I'm going with show recs from other people because when left to my own devices I pick 367 eps of anime to watch. The official Erg :toxx: list of anime to watch for 2020 is:

outer wilds (dryzen)
Azazel San (dav)
Ring Ni Kakero (gorf)
Kimagure Orange☆Road (para)
Scryed (Dub) (baal)
Cross Game (allarion)
Nisekoi (orv)
Dirty Pair (TV) (dog)
ACTORS -Songs Connection- (squark)
Citrus (rme)
Teekyu (kagaya)

I keep doing extracurricular toxxes and this year I feel like adding something that I keep making half hearted stabs at might help. I'm going to toxx on learning all 2200 kanji in Remember the Kanji 1 this year. I've got a head start of about 100 from my last attempt so fingers crossed I won't fizzle out again. For my own tracking sake I'll consider my goal hitting 90% of the kanji in the "learned" category of one of those flashcard systems or whatever other metric I might switch to

I would highly recommend NOT trying to learn all of these IN A SINGLE YEAR. But, good luck to you in that case.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Droyer posted:

This year I'll watch 5 animes people in this thread recommend, if i've finished all 5 before half the year has gone i'll add 5 more. No mecha recs please, I watch a lot of mecha in my own time and the point is to expand my horizons.

Umineko

Lucky Star

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If someone needs a short recommendation and don't mind gory action, watch Drifters.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i have some shows i want to watch

- Acrobunch
- Ray the Animation
- Kamisama Kazoku
- Otogizoushi
- Brigadoon

i will also have some other things to watch

- Casshan Sins
- Saki
- Brain Powerd
- Kakegurui xx
- Figure 17
- Princess Tutu
- Appli Monsters

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Julias posted:

I would highly recommend NOT trying to learn all of these IN A SINGLE YEAR. But, good luck to you in that case.

I have not failed a toxx yet, much like icarus I need to keep flying higher

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'll watch the following dozen shows. only season 1 required for the ones with multiple seasons

Baccano!
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Hyouge Mono
Katanagatari
Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea
Noein: To Your Other Self
Selector Infected WIXOSS
Shiki
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
Silver Spoon
Turn A Gundam
Witch Craft Works

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

Lucky Star

Seen that one twice i'm afraid

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Keijo!!!!!!!!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Since I'm feeling all pumped up at completing my extremely minimal 2019 challenge at the very last minute let's do a for real :toxx: this time.

The Queue-Cleaning Toxx:

I pulled 6 shows out of my queue that I'm partway through that I commit to finishing in no particular order:

Bungo Stray Dogs S3 - 4/12 12/12 - completed 11/27/20
Run With The Wind - 16/23 23/23 - completed 12/31/20
Tsuritama - 4/12 Replacing with The Eccentric Family 3/13 13/13 - completed 12/29/20
BBB&B - 6/12 12/12 - completed 3/11/20
Golden Kamuy - 14/24 24/24 - completed 12/26/20
My Roommate is a Cat - 6/12 12/12 - completed 12/13/20

If I finish those before the end of the year, I'll work on this bonus list but if I don't finish these don't include them for toxx purposes:

Noragami Aragoto - 0/13 (I watched part of this but need to just start it over)
Sirius the Jaeger - 5/12
The Eccentric Family - 3/13 - moving to the main list
Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu - 6/13
Free! Eternal Summer - 6/13
Garo: Vanishing Line - 6/24 14/24
Tsuritama - 4/12 - moved from main list b/c it was removed from C/R

Also if I bail on finishing one of the 6 in the toxx list for some reason I'll replace it with one from the bonus list.

Sadly this doesn't come anywhere close to clearing out my backlog of half-watched poo poo but it'll take a chunk out of it at least.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 1, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

From last year's toxx that having a job dashed any hopes of finishing that I'll try to get done this year:
March Comes In Like A Lion
NagiAsu

Edit: swapped these two out for the Gundam stuff in this post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3908412&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post508168144

Stuff that I never finished from last year that I'll work on now:
Dororo

Triple-H sports special, to be done by 2020's end:
Haikyuu (probably not including the new season, but I'll see my schedule)
Harukana Receive
Hanebado (rewatch)

How bad could this be :v:

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 29, 2020

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alright I posted the mal, I have a fifth recommend I requested coming leaving spots open, have at it

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Baal posted:

Alright I posted the mal, I have a fifth recommend I requested coming leaving spots open, have at it
Drifters or Girlish Number if you haven't watched either of those.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Came up with one after going to Japan and realizing that I should probably improve my Japanese before going back.

:toxx:I will translate at least three manga chapters:toxx:

Also I guess I'll finally play through Fate/Stay Night.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Captain Baal posted:

I'll watch 10 different anime from recommendation's I ask for and 1 at complete random from MAL.

i will also read all of Fate/Hollow Ataraxia and catch up to the Shadowbringers expansion from where I am in Heavensward in FFXIV. No idgaf that it's not anime, I need something to get me caught up in that game.

My only real condition is if it's above 50 episodes, I'm probably gonna veto it unless you give me something I can really get in with. Will cleanup my MAL and post it here after work tonight.

Second Edit: Alright, here it is

Shield Hero - Namtab
Hanebado! - Erg
Detroit Metal City - Davinci
Magic Kaito 1412 - Squark
Nitabou: Tsugaru Shamisen Shiso Gaibun - Random

I think Revolutionary Girl Utena is slightly over 50, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

RME posted:

For August you should watch BECK. If you can find a dual audio version I'd recommend that, I seem to recall the songs being much better in English. If you've seen it, then do Tsuritama instead.

I'll post my resolution when I get home and can read my list more easily.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Draxion posted:

For August you should watch BECK. If you can find a dual audio version I'd recommend that, I seem to recall the songs being much better in English. If you've seen it, then do Tsuritama instead.

I'll post my resolution when I get home and can read my list more easily.

Been meaning to watch that one at some point, so I'll slot that in

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was noticing a lack of people mentioning having watched Given in the best of 2019 thread so I offer as a general recommendation/challenge for anyone looking for something to fill a slot: watch Given

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Alright now that I've been able to sort my list by date started, I am going to at minimum finish everything I started in 2012/2013 and never finished. These are:

Trigun
Bokurano
Ergo Proxy
Great Teacher Onizuka
Birdy the Mighty: Decode
Higurashi
Genshiken
Texhnolyze
Boogiepop Phantom
Bartender
Martian Successor Nadesico
Kuragehime
Monster (oh no)
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (oh NO)
Kids on the Slope
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Hell Girl
Kamisama Dolls
Spice and Wolf

19 shows, so about two/month from the list with Monster and LOGH getting a month each.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

here is my toxx list (of anime that i will watch in the year of our lord 2020)

flip-flappers (erg)
tokyo magnitude 8.0 (orv)
gamba no bouken (dog)
hyouge mono (dav)
Gankutsuou (gorf)
concrete revolutio (droyer)
nurse angel ririko (squark)
maison ikkoku (allarion)

i will also watch fma: brotherhood, eureka 7, and at least two gundams i haven't seen before.

and i will watch every episode of columbo.

thank you for your patience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Namtab posted:

1. Umineko no naku koro ni (all of them)

I will suggest Zero Escape: The Nonary Games, even though it's technically two VNs as they're both relatively short.

I will stifle my temptation to suggest Yu-no