Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ore wa jigoku no terrorist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hanebado was great both on its own and as a counterpart to Harukana in the same season. Aside from the matches themselves, which I think were rotoscoped, the attention to detail on shots of muscles flexing or snapping and knees crunching gave it a much more intense feeling that also went well with the tone of the show.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I watched the Read or Die OVAs. They certainly had that early 2000s anime jank and both of the plot twists around Nancy were so heavily foreshadowed I saw them coming from a mile away. That said the powers and action scenes were cool, and Yomiko was a fun character.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Droyer posted:

I watched the Read or Die OVAs. They certainly had that early 2000s anime jank and both of the plot twists around Nancy were so heavily foreshadowed I saw them coming from a mile away. That said the powers and action scenes were cool, and Yomiko was a fun character.

Now watch ROD The TV. The dub is very good.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I finished Detroit Metal City a few days and forgot to review it. I remembered seeing this blow up around the late 00s and seeing a lot of the stupid funny panels that I chuckled at at the time, but never really bothered reading or watching it. Now that I have watched all 13 episodes of DMC, I can safely say it is... okay. The general premise of the lameass country kid who loves folk music being roped into being the lead singer of a death metal is a fantastic premise the show delivers on well. Negishi's exploits as Krauser lead to some crazy loving poo poo that is entertaining to watch. The show really shines in its comedy whenever Krauser or DMC in general has the spotlight. Unfortunately, the parts of the show I do not care for are things that aren't those. When he's not Krauser, Negishi is incredibly pathetic pushover who lets his manager and others walk all over him. While intending to contrast the two extremes, all this does is make me resent Negishi as he never really seems to fully accept Krauser as anything more than a problem in his life.

While the series is by and large just a short-form comedy series, I found myself really wanting Negishi to shut the gently caress up in every scene he is in which is a large portion of them. His obnoxious, whiny voice combined with his very narrow perspective made him very unlikable to me in a way I feel was not intended. Every scene he is in with Aikawa is so unbelievably cringe-inducing as you watch as Negishi does embarrassing things to lie to this girl he is in love with despite the fact he already has something they connect through. I am not asking for him to just do the right thing all of the time, but holy gently caress can I please get through a scene where he doesn't end up accidentally calling her a slut or threatening to rape her because the Krauser poo poo bleeds into his personality randomly. This is actually an aspect of the show I found interesting when it would happen is Negishi's life as a farm boy having relevance to Krauser in some of his confrontations like when he tames a bull because Negishi tended to the cows on his family's farm or how he teaches his brother the values of caring for the home through Krauser's lense of vulgarity to make him actually do poo poo. When it's the alternative though, it's just gross.

Some of the gags are really god drat funny though. I think the one everyone brings up is the rape of Tokyo Tower and that huge laugh out of me, it is played up so well in the anime. Krauser's fans in general are such stupid dipshits that are so into DMC's music that I really appreciate how passionate they are even if most of it is a little idiotic. The gag where Negishi tries to convince one of the fans on the subforum that Krauser's probably a normal dude and this dude loving explodes on him is good stuff. Lil Krauser was also an insanely good segment that is just as outrageous as it is cute. Not all of the gags land, but the show is so frantic in its pacing that it's easy to move from one joke to the next without dwelling on it for too long... except the episode where Negishi's manager just comes in and fucks up his home, that kinda sucked AND was long. Really, I was very excited to see DMC as this felt like a lost part of my teenage years that I never actually experienced and I'm glad to end it here. While I am somewhat interested to see if the manga ever has Negishi begin to appreciate Krauser and DMC more and Aikawa learns to accept him despite it, I doubt this is the kind of series for that introspection even though I really wanted it.

If nothing else 13 15-minute episodes was really easy to get through in a night and I didn't feel miserable watching it even with the stuff I did not like so it's okay.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 17, 2020

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Tales of Woe posted:

Baccano!
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Hyouge Mono
Katanagatari
Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea
Noein: To Your Other Self
Selector WIXOSS
Shiki
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
Silver Spoon
Turn A Gundam
Witch Craft Works

i have completed my toxx. ended up being pretty trivial due to pandemic lockdown and everything on here being agreeable to my tastes. maybe i'll reach a bit more next time

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

i have completed my toxx. ended up being pretty trivial due to pandemic lockdown and everything on here being agreeable to my tastes. maybe i'll reach a bit more next time

Now review them all

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Argona posted:

Watch
1) Bungo Stray Dogs
2) Garden of Sinners

Read
3) Muv-Luv Extra
4) Muv-Luv Unlimited

I've been chugging along watching Bungo Stray Dogs, just finished watching Dead Apple, aka the movie. It was placed after season 2 on Crunchy so I watched it after I had finished season 2. I'll give a review of the full series once I'm done but I wanted to talk about the movie specifically.

It was pretty much what you would expect out of an anime movie, a vaguely monster of the week villain, and plenty of flashy moments. It seems to be canon to the main story which is nice and maybe a bit surprising, as I was pretty much expecting a complete throwaway type plot. I'm not here to talk about the plot though (it does get pretty confusing at times though). I wanna talk about the absolute unit, the mad lad, Chūya. He absolutely was the standout of the movie to me. The actual climax of the movie with the main characters is good too, but Chūya gets a super cool motorcycle scene to start the movie off, and also gets to take down a dragon later on. I also really enjoyed his voice acting, especially when the dots finally connected and I recognized him as Aoidos from Granblue Fantasy as well (with what else but a scream, something they both have in common).

Overall, I quite enjoyed the movie, and I'm excited to see how things will wrap up in season 3!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_7KCABKfA0

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

GorfZaplen posted:

Now review them all

i think i commented on most of them already upthread

the last couple were Noein and Hyouge Mono

Noein has an extraordinarily strong first few episodes and a cool ending but is one of those shows that feels like it ought to have been 1.5 cours if such a thing were possible, the middle was kinda slow. As 'the other show by the escaflowne director' i think i liked it about equally to escaflowne. i just wish it could have drawn out the 'what the gently caress is going on' feeling of the opening arc for longer before moving on to the explanations and character bits.

Hyouge Mono was the thing on there i was most apprehensive about since it's outside the scope of what i usually watch and pretty long but i loved it. was surprised to learn afterwards that Furuta Oribe was a real person as he seemed like a fictional insert protagonist given how much his status/influence was downplayed in the show

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Argona posted:

I've been chugging along watching Bungo Stray Dogs, just finished watching Dead Apple, aka the movie. It was placed after season 2 on Crunchy so I watched it after I had finished season 2. I'll give a review of the full series once I'm done but I wanted to talk about the movie specifically.

It was pretty much what you would expect out of an anime movie, a vaguely monster of the week villain, and plenty of flashy moments. It seems to be canon to the main story which is nice and maybe a bit surprising, as I was pretty much expecting a complete throwaway type plot. I'm not here to talk about the plot though (it does get pretty confusing at times though). I wanna talk about the absolute unit, the mad lad, Chūya. He absolutely was the standout of the movie to me. The actual climax of the movie with the main characters is good too, but Chūya gets a super cool motorcycle scene to start the movie off, and also gets to take down a dragon later on. I also really enjoyed his voice acting, especially when the dots finally connected and I recognized him as Aoidos from Granblue Fantasy as well (with what else but a scream, something they both have in common).

Overall, I quite enjoyed the movie, and I'm excited to see how things will wrap up in season 3!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_7KCABKfA0
Kishow noises. :allears:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
When they showed the movie in the feathers; they played a brief clip of the voice actors talking about the movie beforehand, and the first thing Chuuya’s said was that his character got all the good parts.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I finished Seirei no Moribito. It was really good! Gripping story, interesting characters, some really nice animation (especially during the fight scenes). My only real complaints are the occasional CG that looked real bad and stuck out like a sore thumb, and a couple episodes where all the characters share the same goal but are still fighting each other for no apparent reason. The second one is doubly annoying since they do join forces just a few episodes later, so it just felt like they needed to pad out the story.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Argona posted:

Watch
1) Bungo Stray Dogs
2) Garden of Sinners

Read
3) Muv-Luv Extra
4) Muv-Luv Unlimited

So, I just finished watching Bungo Stray Dogs. It's one of those shows where the sum is greater than the parts. The plot can be a bit confusing, sometimes the characters are a bit cliche, but it all works out because the characters are also just really fun to watch. Sometimes a show introduces a bunch of characters and then kind of ignores most of them to focus on the main characters. Bungo is not that type of show, pretty much every named character gets at least a few moments to shine and its better for it.

Season 2 really got me on board, as the first four episodes are a super cool flashback that felt like a completely different show at times, and the rest of the season had a bunch of fun fights. I really liked the voice acting in this show as well, its pretty rare for me to recognize voice actors easily, but I got two of them (or uh, matched to a character they voiced as well) without looking it up. Overall, I really enjoyed the show, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a flashy action series.

Now all I have left is muvluv unlimited, which I no longer have an excuse to delay any further :negative:

also if you like fisheyed characters boy is this the show for you

https://twitter.com/dazaicoree/status/1227325920215695361?s=20

Argona fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 18, 2020

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished Haruchika, a show about mystery solving band nerds that was consistently surpassing my expectations adn was very funny and sweet. The mysteries were easy to solve and I usually had them figured out before the eyecatch. But that's fine because the characters made up for it. It also covered a lot of subject matter I wouldn't expect from a show like this like the Vietnam War or what it's like living with deafness. Good show overall

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Watch
1) Bungo Stray Dogs
2) Garden of Sinners

Read
3) Muv-Luv Extra
4) Muv-Luv Unlimited

So I just finished reading Muv-Luv Unlimited, and I'd have to call it "Okay". It starts strong with Takeru suddenly being dumped into the military world and his reactions to it, but after the initial shock of it, the story mostly meanders about, pretty much entirely feeling like exposition, very "2nd of a trilogy" feel. Theres a decent amount of hijinks in the extra fashion, just in military school instead of regular school. I found these to be weaker than the extra ones mostly due to the semi-serious tone Unlimited takes at times. At least extra could go all out in it's jokes. I assume a lot of the hanging threads like whats the full deal with Kasumi and why the big purple bot never got used get addressed in Alternative, but well, I haven't read that yet. Did have a big laugh at how the intro movie reveals the robot suits and then also just slams you with the "heres some full frontal bodysuits, ok bye". (if you couldn't tell, very much not a fan of those) Overall, I think I'd actually put Extra over Unlimited in my enjoyment scale.

And with that, my toxx is done! I will probably start reading Alternative soon, but I don't want to re-add it to my toxx so I can take my time with it if I need to.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Oh if JoY doesn't own the site by new years then we aren't doing bans, because of the obvious reason.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
good cuz i dont have the attentin span for all these shows lol

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Namtab posted:

Oh if JoY doesn't own the site by new years then we aren't doing bans, because of the obvious reason.

Yeah It'd probably just be a month long probe or a really silly awful av or something.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Julias posted:

Yeah It'd probably just be a month long probe or a really silly awful av or something.

I dont want 5 of ur av lol

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Namtabs volunteering for six

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

everythingWasBees posted:

watch aikatsu stars, both seasons (100 eps)
make my own desktop army figure
finish symphogear (gx onwards, 29)
finish SAO (II onwards, 71)

200 eps, 1 fmovie, 1 figure

id like to exchange sao for king gainer+nadesico+rinne no lagrange (76 ep)

I'd like to exchange the desktop army figure for making my own SD gundam kit

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh, we're allowed to do exchanges?

Ibblebibble posted:

From last year's toxx that having a job dashed any hopes of finishing that I'll try to get done this year:
March Comes In Like A Lion
NagiAsu

Stuff that I never finished from last year that I'll work on now:
Dororo

Triple-H sports special, to be done by 2020's end:
Haikyuu (probably not including the new season, but I'll see my schedule)
Harukana Receive
Hanebado (rewatch)

How bad could this be :v:

I'd like to exchange March Lion and NagiAsu for Gundam UC series up until Char's Counterattack. I've already watched the first two compilation movies of 0079 so that's:
- 3rd 0079 movie
- War in the Pocket
- 08th MS Team
- 1st Thunderbolt movie (will save the 2nd for when the 3rd comes out as advised)
- Zeta
- ZZ
- CCA
- 0083 somewhere in there

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 26, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ibblebibble posted:

I'll allow it as long as it's a relative equivalent exchange of episodes/length.

Also I need to finish watching teekyu for my toxx, but I just haven't been motivated to watch more. I think the gimmick that was endearing for 1 season has worn off 3 seasons in, and I've got like 6 more to go. Good news is I could just binge them in a couple of hours, but that much distilled teekyu will probably lead to me getting even less enjoyment out of it.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

I'd like to exchange March Lion and NagiAsu for Gundam UC series up until Char's Counterattack. I've already watched the first two compilation movies of 0079 so that's:
- 3rd 0079 movie
- War in the Pocket
- 08th MS Team
- 1st Thunderbolt movie (will save the 2nd for when the 3rd comes out as advised)
- Zeta
- ZZ
- CCA

you missed the three igloo series

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

- 3rd 0079 movie
- War in the Pocket
- 08th MS Team
- Zeta
- ZZ
- CCA

You're missing 0083.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

you missed the three igloo series

I'd argue that skipping those isn't missing anything.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that is a lot of episodes of zeta and zz

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

oh also Thunderbolt is in the Gundam origin continuity and not UC prime iirc so you don't really need to watch that one

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah from what I heard IGLOO isn't really missing much. Thanks for reminding me about 0083, though. I'll put that in there.

Edit: re Thunderbolt fair but I love the designs so I want to watch it anyway.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'd like to request a two week extension to make up for the two weeks I was without power and could not have watched anime.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GorfZaplen posted:

I'd like to request a two week extension to make up for the two weeks I was without power and could not have watched anime.

Denied.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

:eek:

my substitution is just acrobunch (awful subs, 24eps) for glass mask (23 eps + 3 ep ova)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'd like to request an appeal.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GorfZaplen posted:

I'd like to request an appeal.
Just a hypothetical: Would you consider writing a sweet-rear end post-watch report of at least 2000-2500 words?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm gonna swap Golden Time out on mine for finishing Hitoribocchi and Jojo part 4 then (23 total episodes between those two). Also gonna switch Your Lie in April for The Demon Girl Next Door 'cause I think I'll feel better diving into more relaxing stuff these days.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Since we're making substitutions, I'm going to swap Tsuritama for The Eccentric Family which was one of my substitute options since CR lost Tsuritama. Have also documented this swap in my original post.

I want to eventually finish it but I'll have to rely on :filez: so it's not really valid for my toxx anymore since the point was to watch things to clear out my CR queue somewhat and it being completely gone sort of negates that :v:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Just a hypothetical: Would you consider writing a sweet-rear end post-watch report of at least 2000-2500 words?

Yeesh, you guys are stingier than claims adjusters. I don't think I'm asking for that much. A tree fell on my house and I literally could not have watched anime if I wanted to. I think it's fair to get an extra two weeks so I'm on the same playing field as everyone else.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

An essay sounds less fun than doing another toxx to be honest.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo man, that sucks. :ohdear:

I'm guessing you also had to deal with tree law and stuff, right? It's fine: Take the two week extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Wark Say posted:

poo poo man, that sucks. :ohdear:

I'm guessing you also had to deal with tree law and stuff, right? It's fine: Take the two week extension.

Thank you :tipshat: