Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Perl still rules, but looking at the Perl I wrote years ago makes me want to barf.

e: the first thing I wrote at my current job was a program to generate EEPROM images for a bunch of different product configurations by parsing a couple of Excel spreadsheets and spitting out a bunch of Intel hex files. I used Moose for the OO system and did all the heavy lifting with a couple of CPAN modules. Got the whole thing working and bug-free in about a week, which blew the socks off the guy I was reporting to at the time, who had previously thought we were going to have to delay product launch for a month while the firmware dude on that project got all the configs made. I recall the unit test report that prove generated also impressed some people. Good times back then.
Agreed Perl rules haters should :frogout:

At my first real job we once needed to scrape some data off web for a project. It wasn't really my responsibility but both I and a CS PhD type colleague said we'll have a crack at it. I, despite being a terrible programmer, had the script chugging along in an hour or two, while the guy was still writing parser factory-factories or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU