Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

FastEddie posted:

Craigslist is written in perl. Larry Wall himself works (worked?) there. It might be a good place to work if you like perl.

Oh theres plenty of places that still use Perl. You just need to have at least one backpacker murder conviction in your resume before you'll be offered one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Nolgthorn posted:

I thought it was Ruby who lost to Python, I remember there being a big war about that. I never considered Perl was in the fight. I learned PHP way back in the day and used it a lot, before switching to Ruby, used that a lot too. Man that feels like ages ago.

Oh Perl stopped being a major player a long long time ago, a combination of people finding other languages (ruby for a while, then python) a bit more ergonomic to maintain without having to learn too much about the language itself. Its a powerful multifaceted toolbox of a language. But frankly most older Perl is a loving nightmare to maintain unless you live breathe and dream in regex.

Feral Integral posted:

I never bothered with ruby, beyond reading about ror stuff like a decade or so ago. Curious as to why you think its a better language than snek

Rubys strength is its weakness. Its really great for defining little DSLs in and creating highly magic based libraries. The problem with magic though, is when it goes wrong, its loving impossible to debug. And Rubys killer app, Rails, was the king of that. If you made a NATO standard regulation web app, that wasnt too dependent on its awful ORM, it was phenomenal. But as soon as poo poo gets weird in your requirements and you have to color outside the lines, Rails kinda falls apart conceptually and suddenly those neat natural-languageish lines turn into a metaprogramming clusterfuck

Productiveity wise though it'll clean the clock out of any language you could throw at it. Honestly, the hipsters abandoned Ruby for NodeJS because most of them are loving stupid. Its no wonder Python took off. NodeJS creates unmaintainable messes, and Rails just isnt cool anymore. Python was innevitable (yes I know its probably the oldest language of all of them. The hipsters dont know that)

duck monster fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 27, 2023