Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoolTurtle
May 2, 2006
I saw that the previous Perl thread is long dead, so I want to start a new one.

I've been writing a solo (mostly text processing) project in Perl for a couple years now, and I loving love it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoolTurtle
May 2, 2006
I already know languages that can get me a job, but I chose to use Perl for myself.

I like Perl because it's pretty likely I can run it on another machine without some dependency issue.

Because it a glue language, there are not likely to be breaking changes in future versions.

Another (optional) portion of my project is :D PHP, for similar reasons--it usually just kind of works.

I'm aiming for easy installation and low maintenance, so that's why I chose Perl.

I also hate whitespace syntax, so Python was out until I figured out I can do commented braces.

WoolTurtle
May 2, 2006
Thank you all for reminding me all the reasons to love Perl.

WoolTurtle
May 2, 2006
That's exactly the kind of code I avoid writing.