Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I just signed up for NJPW World. Will this be a good place to start?

Wrestle Kingdom is the perfect place to start. My first New Japan was a Wrestle Kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Totally forgot how sweet that white outfit looked on Jay White. It's good poo poo.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

forkboy84 posted:

Wrestle Kingdom is the perfect place to start. My first New Japan was a Wrestle Kingdom.

Great, any introduction stuff I'll need ahead of time, or is it more or less straight forward? I know Rasslin' Rantin' has an intro series.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of6DkM2GQME

If Lance loses I'm going to be so sad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Great, any introduction stuff I'll need ahead of time, or is it more or less straight forward? I know Rasslin' Rantin' has an intro series.

The Road To The Tokyo Dome shows will give you some last minute angles and are a good aperitif. But if you're not fully familiar with the talent, the NJPW Wire videos are a decent primer on the main storylines. (Even if Kevin Kelly sounds like an alien pretending to be hyoom-an doing the VO for them)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hiro Protagonist posted:

With NJPW commentary is really good at filling you in, most storytelling is in-ring, and the angles are very straight forward. If you want to appreciate some subtleties or have greater emotional investment in the match it might help to get some background.

Showbuckle has great videos:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6xpu8a

These are The Wire videos for Wrestle Kingdom mentioned above:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBzcMn08O34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDXM8SoySHI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COpXCsI89eY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g63AtaEjTFk

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Some basic rules stuff to keep in mind is titles can (but I don't think ever have) change hands via count-out, and they use a 20 count rather than a 10 count. If you see some questionable bending or outright breaking of rules, it's very much up to the referee's discretion and the head ref, Red Shoes, is extremely lenient in big matches because he doesn't want to end a show on a DQ.

As far as makeup of the roster it's generally pretty simple.
Bullet Club are sneaky, cheating, primarily foreigner heels led by Intercontinental Champion Jay White. The group also currently hold both the Heavyweight and Junior Heavyweight Tag titles, as well as the NEVER Openweight title, a sort of tertiary belt whose role shifts depending who's holding it, currently held by KENTA, the former Hideo Itami, defending against NJPW lifer Hirooki Goto.
Suzuki-Gun are the ruthless, violent heel faction (as opposed to the more cowardly Bullet Club) led by combat sports and wrestling legend, Minoru Suzuki. There's rumors of him leaving the company soon, and he and faction original Taichi aren't featured very high on the card this year. Lance Archer and Zack Sabre Jr. are the United States and British Heavyweight Champions, respectively (the British title is RevPro's top title, since RevPro is a partner company with New Japan it gets featured on a lot of NJPW shows) and are defending against Jon Moxley and SANADA.
Los Ingobernables de Japon or just LIJ are basically a band of rebel delinquents, led by formerly failed main eventer Tetsuya Naito. They were by far the smallest group on the roster until Suzuki-Gun lost a few of its members recently, and overall they're generally the "cool" faction with the most starkly disparate personalities among them. Junior Heavyweight title challenger Hiromu Takahashi recently came back from a year and a half long injury recovery to challenge Jr. Ace (and a lot of people's 2019 wrestler of the year) Will Ospreay. SANADA is also part of this group.
Chaos is the closest to a "good guy" or heroic faction, led by IWGP Heavyweight Champion and greatest wrestler in history, Kazuchika Okada. Its ranks are mostly a hodgepodge gathering of friendly babyfaces like Roppongi 3K (Jr. Tag Title challengers) and guys who fight hard but fair like Hirooki Goto (NEVER challenger) and Tomohiro Ishii. Jr. Heavyweight Champion Will Ospreay is also in Chaos but he's playing the cocky heel so people have someone to boo against the impossibly likable Hiromu.
There are also several wrestlers who are either unaffiliated like Jon Moxley and Kota Ibushi, or are aligned/friendly with Chaos but not actually part of it, like Juice Robinson and David Finlay. The New Japan Dads like Yuji Nagata, Satoshi Kojima, the retiring Jushin Thunder Liger, and a few others are also all pretty much unaffiliated.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Will there be anything Bang Dream in the show other than ads?

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Does anyone have the video of Kevin Kelly calling ZSJ’s finisher with the long name and finishing just as the other guy taps?

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

dont worry he'll beat moxley

he's gonna lose to juice tho

also irrelevant of shibata i still don't want goto to win. even if the match is a banger like the suzuki match.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

If the losers match on the 5th is just the G1 finals again I'm going to plotz, I'm hoping for Ibushi winning both nights

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

PASS THE MASH posted:

Does anyone have the video of Kevin Kelly calling ZSJ’s finisher with the long name and finishing just as the other guy taps?

That was Ishii/ZSJ from last year's WK

This highlight vid for some weird reason cuts out the middle section of the move's name, I'm pretty sure, but close enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgKn4-CRy7E&t=215s

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

the escape goat posted:

I predict that I’ll faint during ZSJ v SANADA

It's ok friend, this happens to me as well sometimes when SANADA shows up

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

I Before E posted:

If the losers match on the 5th is just the G1 finals again I'm going to plotz, I'm hoping for Ibushi winning both nights

this is unironically the only thing that gives me any doubt in the outcomes. saving okada/naito for a year (as a naito defense) doesn't sound ridiculous to me, nor does doing a rematch of okada/white from last year's WK.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Rarity posted:

It's ok friend, this happens to me as well sometimes when SANADA shows up

Is it due to the overwhelming stench of his piss beard

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

this is unironically the only thing that gives me any doubt in the outcomes. saving okada/naito for a year (as a naito defense) doesn't sound ridiculous to me, nor does doing a rematch of okada/white from last year's WK.

It would be such a burial of the two guys they've spent the year putting over as their rising stars to have them both job out on 1.4 in service of a loving naito match

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Procrastinator posted:

If you run Okada/White as the runner up match, though, Okada would have to win since he’d be avenging last year’s loss and he’d be coming off a loss the night before. Which would mean that if Naito won the double gold, they’d be running Okada/Naito at Osaka-jo Hall instead of the blowoff arena everyone wants it at, since the runner-up match is being semi-promoted as “the winner of this is basically #1 contender” and the only real time people “jump ahead” of the #1 contender is people who didn’t win the G1 that pinned the champ during it.

Meanwhile, Ibushi/Naito main eventing seven months after their last meeting - which blew the roof off the place - or Jay/Naito are believable main events for New Beginning in Osaka.

I was thinking along the lines you’re on before they started constantly mentioning the idea of the bronze medal match having title shot implications. That might just be the English team talking out of their rear end, but it’s been brought up on actual New Japan stuff and I imagine like, Hattori would catch that poo poo and be like “uh, shut up about that, I’ll just say that’s not the plan going forward”

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rising star Kota Ibushi on the verge of 40 with a neck held together by hopes and dreams sacrificed on the altar or giving the most popular guy in the company the moment fans have wanted for years. drat, how can NJPW be so dumb? Company will be dead in a year.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Rising star Kota Ibushi on the verge of 40 with a neck held together by hopes and dreams sacrificed on the altar or giving the most popular guy in the company the moment fans have wanted for years. drat, how can NJPW be so dumb? Company will be dead in a year.

He's the same age as Naito, whose body is just as hosed, and they just gave him the G1 victory, it would indeed be dumb to completely negate that G1 win for a guy who sucks

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the guy i like should win and it would be bad storytelling and a burial for anything else to happen

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

On one hand, yeah, Naito’s been working for seven years on a knee that’s been re-glued together like a broken vase and his bandaging on both his knees is approaching mummy status, at the same time though, the only G1 winner to actually win the title since the certificate was added was Tanahashi just last year, and even he would have lost if Kenny was sticking around, supposedly, so it’s not like there’s some sanctity to be protected there.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

cams posted:

the guy i like should win and it would be bad storytelling and a burial for anything else to happen

I'm fine with Ibushi losing, I'm specifically saying running White/Ibushi as the losers match would be dumb after having them as the G1 finalists

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Naito should win and Okada should immediately book himself in for surgery to fix whatever nagging injuries he has before bushiroad runs him into the ground.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Okada’d just skip out on the surgery to go fishing, though.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

I Before E posted:

I'm fine with Ibushi losing, I'm specifically saying running White/Ibushi as the losers match would be dumb after having them as the G1 finalists

But then how will Kenny OmegaKnife Pervert get his win back after threeone straight Budokan loss?

Yes I am choosing to believe what Kenny told Meltzer about the plan for him in NJPW if he hadn't gone to AEW and am probably a big idiot for it but if it fits it fits.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Aesculus posted:

But then how will Kenny OmegaKnife Pervert get his win back after threeone straight Budokan loss?

Yes I am choosing to believe what Kenny told Meltzer about the plan for him in NJPW if he hadn't gone to AEW and am probably a big idiot for it but if it fits it fits.

I have not heard this, I assume it was in the Observer?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
That's like a Gedo booking trope. The champs kopw match mostly always comes from a g1 match. It happened this year in fact

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I Before E posted:

That match whipped rear end so I'd love to see it again.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

I Before E posted:

I have not heard this, I assume it was in the Observer?

According to it yeah, Jay White's pretty much been booked as a drop-in replacement for Kenny Omega this year, from losing to Okada at G1 supercard to beating Naito in the G1 block finals only to lose to Ibushi in Budokan and now (presumably) to finally getting his win back. It's kind of dumb IMHO since the story doesn't work nearly as well with literally anyone else but they're both top gaijins and I'm gullible enough to believe so :shrug:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

That match whipped rear end so I'd love to see it again.

No matter who wins on the 4th there'll be at least one dope match on the 5th, but I'm just reminded of the weird panic booking after Michaels dropped the title in '97, and how after winning the Rumble Austin ended up not even being in the title match, which I guess in this analogy would make Jay White Bret Hart and Okada Sid Vicious

gently caress now I just want to see Okada vs Sid, that would own

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I Before E posted:

No matter who wins on the 4th there'll be at least one dope match on the 5th, but I'm just reminded of the weird panic booking after Michaels dropped the title in '97, and how after winning the Rumble Austin ended up not even being in the title match, which I guess in this analogy would make Jay White Bret Hart and Okada Sid Vicious

gently caress now I just want to see Okada vs Sid, that would own

I mean I get what you're saying but this has pretty clearly been in the works since last year. Naito's been talking about being double champion since, like, March. Maybe some details have changed but I think the plan was always to have separate title matches on 1.4 and title for title on 1.5, with Naito coming from the "lowest" position of the four, thus feeling like the biggest accomplishment at the end of the weekend. As has been pointed out, the G1 title shot is hardly a sacred institution, it's only been around since 2012 and only one person's ever won with it, so I really don't mind them messing with the formula a bit going forward. I think the prestige of winning G1 itself is also a pretty drat fine feather in the cap in any career so it's not as if Ibushi winning it but ending up in the loser's match is a waste, he still won the drat G1, pretty much everybody who's ever done that is some kind of legend or legend in the making in Japanese wrestling (notable exception being Goto I guess).

Either way I'm relatively certain Ibushi will probably win the title at some point but you can pretty much do that whenever and it'll be just as good. I don't think fans will accept another "just be tranquilo, Naito's day will come" if he loses this time.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

TriffTshngo posted:

I don't think fans will accept another "just be tranquilo, Naito's day will come" if he loses this time.

I felt like this the last time there was a Wrestle Kingdom Naitalure two years back, but this year, once again, I'm ready to fistbump with my friends, LIJ.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Even if it was in the works for a while it still feels like it's come out of nowhere, and that combined with how blatant the Naito outcome seems to be makes it feel simultaneously slapdash and contrived, which is a weird unsatisfying feeling to have about an event I'm otherwise very excited for

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Here's my prediction: It's gonna be good

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ibushi would be the guy to eventually beat naito for the title if i had the book, it just doesn;t have to happen now.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

My prediction is Jay White beats Naito before losing it to G1 winner Okada at next WK.

I Before E posted:

He's the same age as Naito, whose body is just as hosed, and they just gave him the G1 victory, it would indeed be dumb to completely negate that G1 win for a guy who sucks

Naito isn't a rising star either.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This is very clearly Naito's WK and in all honesty, the dude deserves it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

This is very clearly Naito's WK and in all honesty, the dude deserves it.

Yeah and it's not a guarantee they could do it another time with the way he's holding up. Okada is honestly not looking great either right now.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

jay should win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

cams posted:

jay should win.

This would absolutely be the funniest option