Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Spectre is on broadcast tv here tonight and I tuned in partway thru a scene, did the guy that Bautista kills at the conference table actually gently caress up or is it just a “more badass than thou” thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

AHH F/UGH posted:

Reeves movies are just corny as hell now, and pretty boring in general. They didn't age well.

They suffer from awful pacing that was commonplace in 70s/80s cinema, but lol @ saying one superhero movie is corny over another.

We're obviously talking about 1&2, if you want to compare the hot turds 3&4 vs Batman Forever&Batman and Robin, there's no winners.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SilvergunSuperman posted:

They suffer from awful pacing that was commonplace in 70s/80s cinema,

haha what? No. The pacing in Superman is great as is the pacing of most action blockbuster type movies of the time.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
I liked the one with Richard Pryor but I think that is universally hated.

I liked the dumb computer stuff in the beginning.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

haha what? No. The pacing in Superman is great as is the pacing of most action blockbuster type movies of the time.

Haha. Yes. The pacing sucks and it's actually you that's wrong.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

SilvergunSuperman posted:

They suffer from awful pacing that was commonplace in 70s/80s cinema, but lol @ saying one superhero movie is corny over another.

I would say Man of Steel wasn't corny, probably The Dark Knight too, even though its fanbase definitely are

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The problem with Superman is that he’s a child’s wish-fulfillment device and a very puerile conception of justice. Snyder at least tried to bring him into the real world asking “what if this god like being had to deal with all of the shitiness and complexity of the modern world?” But, he had no where near the talent required to pull it off, so his films are just a muddled mess.

The real injustices of our world are endemic and institutional, the province of governments and corporations, not individual crooks twirling their mustaches. How would Superman deal with poo poo like the current civil war in Ethiopia, an intractable mess of geopolitical intrigue and ethnic resentments? The MCU and DCU all dance around this, and usually try to condense and personify the world’s problems into one singular villain. They want to constantly make superhero’s more gritty and realistic, and tell us how important they are, reaching for some unearned pathos; but they also want easy copouts when those characters actually collide with the real world.

So I’m of the opinion that unless you’re really willing to commit to the idea of “people with superpowers in the real world” like The Boys does, just leave them to the realm of children’s stories.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 1, 2021

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!
Alan Moore effectively deconstructed the whole "superheroes in the real world" thing with Watchmen, and the lesson people (including Zack Snyder, who helmed the film adaptation of Watchmen) took away from it was "wouldn't it be cool to watch superheroes get real ultraviolent and gory"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Klowner posted:

How come schindler didn't punch any Nazis. He should have got the people in his factory to manufacture a mech so he could fight Nazis. Then he could join the mcu. That would be loving epic!!!

You didn’t watch the sequel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvKTRebgJcw

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KakerMix posted:

My wife hadn't ever seen Trains, Planes and Automobiles OR Uncle Buck. We watched them over two nights and you know, they are super good. Trains, Planes and Automobiles is even rated R, did you know that? An R-rated comedy. We didn't know until the car rental scene where Steve Martin drops like 20 'fucks'.

Classic movie.

I bring this up because god is dead:

:negative:

:indeed: gently caress that poo poo. OG has jokes layered on jokes, building up and up. Not one joke was a dead end quip. It earned the most epic use of fucks ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0_bVqEW1Oc

If you haven't watched Planes, Trains and Automobiles do it. Beyond the comedy it has a serious heart and soul. The characters aren't funny because they are "Wacky", they're normal(ish) people who say the quiet part out loud. It is relentless, Terminator level determination required to get home.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

WW would have been way more interesting if she killed people. Choke em, hang em, punch their guts out or something. An ultra violent superhero movie with a female lead is what we require!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's literally nothing muddled about Man of Steel. It's incredibly straightforward and easy to follow. Just cause Mike and Jay were too dumb to follow it didn't mean you have to be

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

happy new years you nerds.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The problem with Man of Steel is that it's pure poo poo.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H18RUB1cxfI

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Isn't the new thread subtitle obligated to be "gently caress you, it's January!"?

Edit: drat it, Josh.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

luchajones posted:

WW would have been way more interesting if she killed people. Choke em, hang em, punch their guts out or something. An ultra violent superhero movie with a female lead is what we require!

I mean the most iconic moment she shared with Maxwell Lord in other media is killing him

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

luchajones posted:

She didn't even kill half the people in DC!!! She just doesn't have what it takes to be a superhero. Sad.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Alan Moore effectively deconstructed the whole "superheroes in the real world" thing with Watchmen, and the lesson people (including Zack Snyder, who helmed the film adaptation of Watchmen) took away from it was "wouldn't it be cool to watch superheroes get real ultraviolent and gory"

Moore's final take on Superman with "What Ever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" was a perfect take on the character. Superman is at his best when dealing with absolutely crazy silver age stuff, where some impossible questions gets brought up and the answer is always that Superman is just so good and powerful and smart and perfect that he can provide a solution.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

There's literally nothing muddled about Man of Steel. It's incredibly straightforward and easy to follow. Just cause Mike and Jay were too dumb to follow it didn't mean you have to be

I wouldn't say it was muddled either, Snyder's FYGM libertarianism comes through loud and clear

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Her first movie ended with her murdering dozens of helpless soldiers in a cold blooded frenzy before she fights mustache man

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

mallratcal posted:

She didn't even kill half the people in DC!!! She just doesn't have what it takes to be a superhero. Sad.

She doesnt unless she uses someones entrails as her lasso/whip.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

oohhboy posted:

:indeed: gently caress that poo poo. OG has jokes layered on jokes, building up and up. Not one joke was a dead end quip. It earned the most epic use of fucks ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0_bVqEW1Oc

If you haven't watched Planes, Trains and Automobiles do it. Beyond the comedy it has a serious heart and soul. The characters aren't funny because they are "Wacky", they're normal(ish) people who say the quiet part out loud. It is relentless, Terminator level determination required to get home.

It's a great movie that has an absolutely terrible soundtrack. Like it's impressive how badly the music goes with the film.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I wouldn't say it was muddled either, Snyder's FYGM libertarianism comes through loud and clear

Maybe you should watch the actual film instead of breadtuber video essays, cause that's the only place you can form that dumb poo poo opinion. Man of Steel is anti capitalist and anti fascist.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Superman would have grabbed Max Lord and used his strength and heat vision to crush him back down into stone form, then he would have shattered the stone thereby killing every person on Earth who made a wish. Real hero poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
did we finally do it? Did I finally get too drunk at the new year to be the opening poster of the thread