Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Schweinhund posted:

In the first half of Karate Kid, Mr Miyagi is the maintenance man living in Daniel's apartment building and he's there all day and night. Then half way through the movie he takes Daniel to his house and he has this big compound with 10 cars and he lives there all day and night for the rest of the movie. It raises so many questions.

I assume he was scamming the landlord the way he scammed Daniel. Well not exactly the way he scammed Daniel.

I haven't seen it in years really, but I remember Karate Kid being a lot like The Music Man in that the teacher figure is scamming everyone but then miraculously the kids at the end have somehow mastered the skill that he wasn't teaching them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9ihIfoWl3Q

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Cubone posted:

idk if this was just me but the part in Ladybird where Ladybird catches her boyfriend making out with a guy, I was immediately like

"ok."

because
the movie's not going to just leave it there, no way in hell they're going to let it seem like Ladybird or the movie think his gayness was just something inconsiderate towards her
so the next thing that's going to happen is, even though she's justifiably upset with him, she'll be understanding and empathetic about his problem
(which, of course, will be that he's gay, because no way the movie will let him have a different problem)
and then, the thing that happens after that is, we'll just kinda stop thinking about him, because what can you really do with a gay side character besides have your main characters not be mean to him? :shrug:

and I understand that's progress but like
if you're finally gonna have us on screen, can we at least
do a flip or something

e: sorry, I don't mean "finally", obviously we have had many gays on screen over the years, like Hollywood Montrose, or the guy that gets impaled up the butt with a log in 2001 Maniacs

Did you actually finish the movie? He comes back into the narrative towards the end when Ladybird has grown as a person and learns to think more about people other herself, the fact that at the time it happens she only cares about herself is part of the major theme of the film and is something that is repeated with other characters including other boys she dates who have other issues that she's similarly blind to.

Ladybird is an indie movie about a teenage girl growing up in a Catholic high school in the early 2000s, her boyfriend being a closested gay who feels pressured to date a girl to appear normal exists in the service of that. It's OK for women to get to have their own stories and the movie would be way worse as a film if it felt the need to try and crowbar in more narrative about the gay boyfriend.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Jay is a slutty bottom, but he's not nearly enough of a dirty bitch to handle Jack Packin.

Jack Packin retired

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Man, last night I watched National Lampoon's Van Wilder and apart from Ryan Reynolds being Ryan Reynolds it does not hold up well at all. So that puts it on the level of most 2000s college stoner comedies that are acting like it's still the 80s. A lot of transphobic and gay panic jokes and a general sense of "laugh at the freak" humour that does not land. At least Reynolds himself is funny. Kal Penn is way better in Harold and Kumar than he is here.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tip posted:

I hated large portions of the writing for teenagers in the first season. It was like Big Bang Theory mixed with Juno, written by a middle aged dude.

When the nerdy girl wanted to go as salt for Halloween I wanted to die.

Watching the first few episodes of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina made me want to not be alive, for the same reason.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Schweinhund posted:

This is about the Columbine shooters:

https://www.westword.com/news/the-missing-motive-5063685

I read that and think, yep that's high school. People were definitely that cruel.

Setting aside that specific case because it'll kick off a big derail. My understanding is that after Columbine, whether it was motivated by bullying or not, the perception was that bullying was a big problem in schools. And then a lot of districts revamped their policies. And now from talking to teachers I know about it, teachers and admin are trained to stamp that poo poo out with prejudice, and it's like 8 forms and 3 parent conferences if a teacher suspects a kid of bullying another kid. May just be anecdotal, but I've heard a lot of teachers mention it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I assume he was scamming the landlord the way he scammed Daniel. Well not exactly the way he scammed Daniel.

I haven't seen it in years really, but I remember Karate Kid being a lot like The Music Man in that the teacher figure is scamming everyone but then miraculously the kids at the end have somehow mastered the skill that he wasn't teaching them.

Actually it's all a plot vehicle for how hard work and discipline will reward you across all walks of life!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The deleted scenes are Miyagi instructing his boss in karate by having him repetitively write checks.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Karate Kid: Directors Cut

Miyagi confronts Kreese in tha parking lot. Miyagi raises his fist to deliver a palm smash. Kreese looks on in fear as Miyagis battle cry increases in intensity. It builds to a crescendo, then... Miyago playfully honks Kreeses nose.

Kreese deflates, beaten by this small man. Miyagi takes advantage of this lapse, delivering a true palm strike, destroying Kreeses nose. As blood wells from Kreese, Miyagi does a spinning jump kick, shattering Kreeses sternum. Kreese collapses to the ground, dead.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He then turns to Johnny and says "You better go buy an iron, because you just lost your kreese"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Man, last night I watched National Lampoon's Van Wilder and apart from Ryan Reynolds being Ryan Reynolds it does not hold up well at all. So that puts it on the level of most 2000s college stoner comedies that are acting like it's still the 80s. A lot of transphobic and gay panic jokes and a general sense of "laugh at the freak" humour that does not land. At least Reynolds himself is funny. Kal Penn is way better in Harold and Kumar than he is here.

I thought H&K was a great low stakes stoner adventure movie but then again I was high when I watched it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm only through like Episode 6, but I assume the first season of Cobra Kai ends in an orgy of violence and all the adults involved going "Oh I hosed this up really badly".

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He then turns to Johnny and says "You better go buy an iron, because you just lost your kreese"

He felt good about what he did for his community that day.

I've only half-watched Cobra Kai while in the same room as my wife, but it seems good. The episode where the bully gets a computer for the first time ever is pretty funny. And Danny's characterization makes sense as someone who's felt like an underdog all his life because of the trauma of moving from NJ to California, which was real for him, but such a non-issue in the grand scheme of things.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Re-watching TNG, the Space Irish episode is directly after the Pakled episode. It is too much...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Olewithmilk posted:

Re-watching TNG, the Space Irish episode is directly after the Pakled episode. It is too much...

The Space Irish episode is actually toned down because Colm Meaney pitched a fit about it. It was originally also going to have a leprechaun created by the Holodeck.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

PostNouveau posted:

The Space Irish episode is actually toned down because Colm Meaney pitched a fit about it. It was originally also going to have a leprechaun created by the Holodeck.

Haha!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oh wait my bad it was actually a DS9 episode. Meaney had more pull on DS9.

quote:

The first draft script of DS9: "If Wishes Were Horses" featured a leprechaun. In the script's stage directions, this character was initially described as "a tiny man, complete with green suit, three-pointed hat, large buckled shoes and carrot red hair... in short a classic leprechaun." Ultimately, however, this character was changed to Rumpelstiltskin. The alteration was made after Colm Meaney objected, commenting, "Using caricatures or clichés of any nation is not something Star Trek is or should be into." (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion) The leprechaun was replaced with Rumpelstiltskin by the time the third draft of the script was issued.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Milo and POTUS posted:

I thought H&K was a great low stakes stoner adventure movie but then again I was high when I watched it

Harold and Kumar works where Van Wilder or something even worse like Slackers doesn't: everyone in Harold and Kumar is insane. What i hate about these movies is that there is always one straight person who is no nonsense and doesn't fit in with the wacky shenanigans, and its usually the love interest. Tara Reid is loving boring and it falls into the same bullshit that infests web comics where all the men act like children but theres a no nonsense female character who is there to be the responsible mother.

Meanwhile in Harold and Kumar everyone is their own brand of crazy so theres no "we need to be serious now" moment to cram undeserved attempts at pathos into a movie that does not need it. I am happy that the 21 jump street movies killed off this genre by doing a reversal where instead of a straight man entering a crazy world, its two crazy people trying to interact with the normal world. That is a lot funnier to me specifically because it plays off of the unrealistic depictions of trashy stoner comedies. Or you go the H&K route and make everyone a lunatic. Neighbors is great for that.

2000s college and high school movies feel like 1980s relics made by directors who were fed up with the nihilism of mid 90s teen movies and wanted to go back to the stuff they grew up with, not realizing that the homophobic transphobic crap that is all over 80s college and high-school films really doesnt fly in 2000.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

PostNouveau posted:

Oh wait my bad it was actually a DS9 episode. Meaney had more pull on DS9.

He probably learned his lesson from the Space Irish episode. Riker is currently putting his full mac on the hot irish redhead lady.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

lmao, can't wait to tell my wife (her dad's family are Irish and we just watched that episode)

edit: Looking forward to when we get to DS9 :yum:

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I can imagine him having flashbacks to the Space Irish episode and thinking "Not gonna loving let them put me through THAT again"

e: beaten!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rumpelstiltskin wasn't even the best part of that episode. Not compared to Buck Bokai the greatest baseball player of all time.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

luchajones posted:

Jackie Chan seems to have no issues
yyyeeeeeeaaaahhhhhh.....*cough*

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

2000s college and high school movies feel like 1980s relics made by directors who were fed up with the nihilism of mid 90s teen movies and wanted to go back to the stuff they grew up with, not realizing that the homophobic transphobic crap that is all over 80s college and high-school films really doesnt fly in 2000.

I get that feeling about a lot of movies that take place at a much younger age than a writer's typical age. You're writing a college movie, you're not writing it at age 21, you're writing it at age 28+ -- your experiences are already almost a decade out of date. Almost every movie about high school or college or whatever are all going to feel like they take place years before when they're set for that reason.

I got a similar feeling from Bon Cop, Bad Cop. It was released in 2006 and takes place in Quebec and Ontario, but something about the movie doesn't really feel like 2006 Ontario, it feels more like the Ontario from 10 years prior, when the writer and director were young.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Rumpelstiltskin wasn't even the best part of that episode. Not compared to Buck Bokai the greatest baseball player of all time.

This is the ideal male body. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

piratepilates posted:

I get that feeling about a lot of movies that take place at a much younger age than a writer's typical age. You're writing a college movie, you're not writing it at age 21, you're writing it at age 28+ -- your experiences are already almost a decade out of date. Almost every movie about high school or college or whatever are all going to feel like they take place years before when they're set for that reason.

I got a similar feeling from Bon Cop, Bad Cop. It was released in 2006 and takes place in Quebec and Ontario, but something about the movie doesn't really feel like 2006 Ontario, it feels more like the Ontario from 10 years prior, when the writer and director were young.

At least Bon Cop, Bad Cop had them beating up Rick Mercer.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

PostNouveau posted:

This is the ideal male body. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

drat, bokai looks great for a baseball player

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I gotta say I have simple comedic tastes because the gag in Harold and Kumar where they forget their phones and look back at the door 15 feet away and say “no, we’ve come too far” is both hilarious and incredibly relatable.

Definitely my favourite bit.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Olewithmilk posted:

He probably learned his lesson from the Space Irish episode. Riker is currently putting his full mac on the hot irish redhead lady.

Love the bit in Ensign Ro where Riker is a massive space racist the entire episode.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

PostNouveau posted:

That's a different ds9 episode

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Rumplestiltskin, more like Humpledilfskin.

-- Keiko

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 24, 2020

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Meanwhile in Harold and Kumar everyone is their own brand of crazy so theres no "we need to be serious now" moment to cram undeserved attempts at pathos into a movie that does not need it. I am happy that the 21 jump street movies killed off this genre by doing a reversal where instead of a straight man entering a crazy world, its two crazy people trying to interact with the normal world. That is a lot funnier to me specifically because it plays off of the unrealistic depictions of trashy stoner comedies. Or you go the H&K route and make everyone a lunatic. Neighbors is great for that.

Right on. H&K are shitheads and so is everyone else in their films. It's not high art but it wins because it pitches straight at that level and never deviates. It reminds me a lot of John Dies At The End (the novel).

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

priznat posted:

I gotta say I have simple comedic tastes because the gag in Harold and Kumar where they forget their phones and look back at the door 15 feet away and say “no, we’ve come too far” is both hilarious and incredibly relatable.

Definitely my favourite bit.

I also like when Kumar is trying to pee in the woods and some drunk guy just walks up and starts pissing right next to him. Honestly that movie had a lot of good gags.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

luchajones posted:

Jackie Chan seems to have no issues

Yeah about that, he is a lot of issues. Lets just say no one has been asking for his autograph on the streets of Hong Kong for quite a while and if I ever saw him in person he is going to get a one finger salute.

Chow Yun Fat is and will always be awesome.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Was Jackie Chan cancelled for something besides tonguing the balls of the Chinese government, or was it just the whole him tonguing the balls of the Chinese government thing?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I think it's just the Chinese ball tonguing.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He more or less went head first up the CCP rear end in a top hat to lick rear end. He is still there to this day.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's kinda hard to blame a celebrity for saying "China is #1" when it's official state policy in China to castrate and blind you and force your family into labor camps if you don't say "China is #1".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Sleeveless posted:

Did you actually finish the movie? He comes back into the narrative towards the end when Ladybird has grown as a person and learns to think more about people other herself, the fact that at the time it happens she only cares about herself is part of the major theme of the film and is something that is repeated with other characters including other boys she dates who have other issues that she's similarly blind to.

Ladybird is an indie movie about a teenage girl growing up in a Catholic high school in the early 2000s, her boyfriend being a closested gay who feels pressured to date a girl to appear normal exists in the service of that. It's OK for women to get to have their own stories and the movie would be way worse as a film if it felt the need to try and crowbar in more narrative about the gay boyfriend.
right, the gay character exists in service of the main character's story and it's ok
that's what I said

but he should have done a flip
you completely glossed over my main point, which was that Ladybird's gay boyfriend should have done a flip