Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOFXUx2jQ-Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gripweed posted:

I'm glad we have a new thread for discussing Red Letter Media and other similar Youtube movie criticism channels
I am also glad we have a new thread for discussing Red Letter Media and Lindsay and Jenny and maybe Dan Olson and but that's all though, and Jack's friend Movie Nights

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

whats that robot thing in the op from?

that's Fuckbot 5000, from the Red Red Media film "Fuckbot 5000"

Cubone
May 26, 2011

what's the best New Years Eve movie?
the only one I can think of is Ghostbusters 2 :confused:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

General Dog posted:

Watching Gremlins: The New Batch for the first time. Why are Gizmo’s offspring inevitably evil?
they're not evil, they're mischievous
the rules tell you not to get them wet, and their behavior is a warped reflection of the same carelessness that creates them

Billy didn't take the rules he was entrusted to follow seriously, and the gremlins are the result of his irresponsibility made manifest
this is the same reason they're said to be the same creatures that sabotaged planes "during the war"- in reality, of course, there were no gremlins, just human carelessness, but in the reality of the film the gremlins are the embodiment of the behavior that led to the problems that were ascribed to them

you guys really need to follow The Institute For Gremlins 2 Studies, this is all pretty basic stuff
https://twitter.com/G2Institute

Cubone
May 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBkA2kdowEc

Cubone
May 26, 2011

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Tennessee alcoholics that fight cops

lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

I want movies with real goon forts.

Like a movie that tackles the idea of these damp nerds that think they'll be "survivors".

Some dude with boot camp training that was a pencil counter in the Navy just rolling up and bulldozing New Mos Eisley and slaughtering the dorks with flea market swords inside and liberating the den mother / concubine the sweaty dweebs kidnapped.

And dumping fuel in the air vents of rich people shelters and burning them out.

As much as I love Mad Max, we're extremely overdue for modernist post-apocalypse realism instead of just endlessly repeating the tropes of 70s sci-fi.

Take Shelter isn't quite this but reading your post reminded me of Take Shelter and Take Shelter was good

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Cubone
May 26, 2011

dumb insane chumps taking turns saying stupid poo poo about movies neither of them liked . com
dumb insane chumps taking turns saying stupid poo poo about movies neither of them liked and theyre violent . com
www . crazy rear end dumbasses hollering at each other for saying the wrong kind of stupid poo poo about movies that neither of them liked . com
hosed up insane movie suckers . net

Cubone
May 26, 2011

CJacobs posted:

"being too online" or "extremely online", what a cool phrase that means a lot.
it is a cool phrase, in fact
"being too online" is like when an anime kid brings up anime in unrelated contexts, but instead of anime it's internet drama

except an anime kid will usually have the presence of mind to preface it by going "so, um, there's this anime called blahblahblah, and"
extremely online people just assume you already know and agree with them, because the've spent too much time in a tiny world where everybody knows and agrees with them

like if I just posted the contents of this tweet
https://twitter.com/AhnperorHwasa/status/1212534039673884672

I'd look like a raving lunatic
"too online" is when you forget that almost all internet drama is pretty much pointless and makes zero sense if you step back from it even a little bit

pointing it out isn't necessarily a condemnation
being too online is a widespread disease of the mind and good neighbors letting each other know when they're showing symptoms helps a community stay healthy

Cubone
May 26, 2011

KakerMix posted:

As far as I'm concerned anyone on twitter for any reason is extremely online.

Just don't use it, don't read it. It is the worlds largest trashfire nothing is worth its existence.
yeah but only because people do dumb poo poo like look at it and try to use it

Cubone
May 26, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The internet has been a physical space for decades my friend, there is no "step back from it and go into the real world where none of it matters", it's part of the real world
this doesn't contradict anything I said

Cubone
May 26, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

lol there's a loving insane blind item on Reddit claiming that Disney deliberately hosed up the editing of TROS to make JJ look bad so that Warner Brothers/D.C. wouldn't pick him up to revive the D.C. movie franchises, because Disney sees that as the biggest threat to their actual cash cow: the MCU.

https://old.reddit.com/r/saltierthancrait/comments/eisnd8/heres_what_ive_been_told_from_a_source_that/
cracks me up
they hired the guy who's specifically famous for being bad at endings to make the ending, and people are so confused by what went wrong with this plan that they need an outside explanation

I mean I like jj probably more than most people itt do, but he sucks at endings. he just does. it's literally part of his stated storytelling philosophy to not give a poo poo about payoff

PostNouveau posted:

Same thing with John Favreau and The Mandalorian. You found someone who knows how to do it; now let them do it.
I'd bet that Favreau doesn't want to after what he went through with Iron Man
you give a studio a gem, they give you "control", and you're really just a hired gun who has to fight (and lose) to committee thinking every step of the way

Chef, an indie movie he wrote, directed, produced and starred in after stepping down as a director at marvel, really reads like an allegory for how alienating the big-budget studio process is

the only big budget tentpoles he's done since were jungle book and lion king, and I'd be willing to bet that was because he specifically didn't have to give a poo poo about them
big money payday for a story that already exists beat for beat, where most of the direction is actually going to be blocked and paced out by an anonymous team of cgi artists, and is going to make a boatload of money no matter what you do? cash that check boyyy

Cubone
May 26, 2011

like all of the bullshit mysticism in the ot, force ghosts are a storytelling device that were taken hopelessly literally in everything that followed

obi-wan speaking to luke after he died was created in the edit from unrelated lines earlier in the movie
it only happened to signify to the audience why he was switching off his targeting computer

when they made a sequel, obi-wan was brought back as a voice and then a ghost because, whoops, they killed luke's only mentor figure in the last movie, and they needed a way to step back and make it clear that he still had more to learn and to provide him with guidance (it's actually not really clear in the original trilogy if anybody besides luke and bigger luke can even see the force ghosts)

it was actually brilliant, taking what was in itself a complete hero's journey in a single film ("star wars") and using elements from it to innovate an elegant way to expand it into a longer arc, but it was patchjob world building that existed primarily for the benefit of the story– it was just done so well that people mistook it as the story coming lut of the world, instead of the other way around
so when it came time to create new stories in that world, people looked at the elements that existed inside of the world, and tried to build a story out of them
it's the same kind of thinking that mike talked about in the plinkett reviews. the emperor shot lightning, so shooting lightning is a power that you can have. darth vader had a red lightsaber, so that's the lightsaber bad guys have

somebody's looking at the star wars and seeing force ghosts, and they're not thinking about how they only appear to lend guidance and closure to people who were close to them in life during their times of duress and need. they're thinking "oh, so ghosts exist? what if like an ancient sith ghost showed up and shot a lightning at your dude and you had to dodge his projectiles andbuild up your combo meter

Cubone fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 2, 2020

Cubone
May 26, 2011

my longest yeah boy ever

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Daikloktos posted:

The alternative is to believe something so ubiquitous could get memory-holed not even twenty years later as newer generations fail to do the most cursory research
it's true

the disappointment, the backlash- all of it

it's all true

Cubone
May 26, 2011

General Dog posted:

the last five
five? :how:

*counting on fingers*

huh

:goofy: five...

Cubone
May 26, 2011

LabyaMynora posted:

I always knew the prequels weren't good, but Plinkett helped explain exactly why they weren't good.

The part where they just ask their friends to describe different characters from the OT and the PT without naming their job really says it all.

Nope! The prequels are exceptionally, uniquely bad. They're also lazier than the new movies in terms of filming. Once Plinkett revealed the whole "actors walk from left to the right in front of a green screen, switch camera angles, actors walk from right to left in front of a green screen," it was like "OH MY GOD!"

(I haven't seen Solo or RoS.)
yeah
people did not talk about those sorts of things before the plinkett reviews

people tend to be pretty bad at figuring out why they like the things they like in general, and would usually point their finger at jar jar or baby anakin or the interminable romance scenes. there was also a lot of flip-flopping about whether the podrace was good or a tremendous slog and waste of time, because it was a tremendous slog and waste of time, but on paper, I like high-speed races and explosions and aliens, so the problem must be with the parts of the movie that don't have that, right?

rlm greatly expanded a lot of people's critical palettes. it was something people hadn't seen before, and exposed viewers to a lot of new, more meaningful ways of thinking about film which Lindsay now does better
it was even kind of shaky at first, as people took their first steps into talking about movies in a non-dumb way
between the phantom menace and clones reviews, I remember people here on the forums making reaching attempts to employ what they'd learned, like applying the "describe this character" logic to count dooku. some people even speculated there was no reason to review the other two prequels, because the phantom menace review did its job so thoroughly, what else could they possibly have in the tank? then when the clones review dropped, it went beyond everybody's expectations, and the sith review did it again

Cubone
May 26, 2011

just another posted:

I'm old. Who's Lindsay?
Lindsay Ellis

she's this, wine aunt, and the thread's the most tolerated non-rlm youtube movie discusser, because she works from a wide knowledge base and serious research, has unique and nuanced insights, and puts her video essays together in an entertaining and informative way while still conveying a strong central thesis gets drunk and fights cops irl

her videos on the hobbit films were nominated for a hugo award last year
but personally I'd recommend her breakdown of the Disney-Robin Williams relationship and how it affected the production and marketing of cartoons made for kids, or, if you're looking for something a little more takedowny, her close looks at Bright and the live action Beauty and the Beast remake

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Tahiri Veila. She was Anakin Solo's girlfriend and the OG Kylo Ren Jacen Solo turned her to the dark side by letting her have time travel sex with Anakin right before he died fighting predator dogs. She sexually assaults Ben Skywalker while he's fourteen and strapped down to a torture chair.

this was the first post i read today

Cubone
May 26, 2011

there's a criterion channel?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

*picture of justin timberlake*
[in david spade voice] look everyone, a falling star

Cubone
May 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1213524496449069057

power couple

Cubone
May 26, 2011

how long until hollywood gets confused and tries to make peter pan again, like 8 weeks?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Mordja posted:

Your yearly reminder that the last Peter Pan movie featured a rendition of a Nirvana song because, uh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNInHlSCW4E

what in the screaming hellfuck

Cubone
May 26, 2011

that's gonna be great

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh hey it’s another poorly sung rock song by background actors again
you spin me right round baby right round...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAOdjqyG37A
BWAAA

Cubone
May 26, 2011

it's simple
for a streaming service with no ad revenue, views translate to bandwidth and server costs, but not profit. so what you want is to have as few views as possible

trust me, I am an expert

Cubone
May 26, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Goop sells vampire repellent. Everyone that works there is insane.

of yeah? have you seen any vampires around gwenyth paltrow?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Dmitri-9 posted:

Honestly I could live with that format if not for the constant BWAAAs.
the formula is too successful imo

it takes stuff that worked from trailers that once upon a time actually got people talking, like Inception and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, that had some artful tonal or thematic significance for the movies they were actually for, and just sort of reuse them generically because it gets you pumped

it works but, like, what makes your movie special?
that kind of information gets lost in the consolidation of style

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Just watched Marriage Story. A great little movie for good actors to play in without laser swords and CGI tennis balls. Oddly, despite its very American nature, it really reminded me of some better Soviet dramedies, especially by Ryazanov. Very theatrical monologuing, spontaneous songs, awkward situational comedy, outstanding secondary characters - all that was uncanny. Kind of feel sad that the only chance for a movie like that to get released is through Netflix, but hey, at least it exists.

pass

Cubone
May 26, 2011

http://www.grownups3script.com/

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Xposting from old thread because why not

This has nothing to do with the trash du jour but I remember a short film I saw on IFC years and years ago about a bunch of old men hiking in some germanic speaking country and they all get stuck one by one in a bog or something and resign themselves to die. I remember liking it but not if it was actually you know good. I think it might be noregian, danish or swedish but not positive

that doesn't sound like a star wars movie, nobody here will have seen it

Cubone
May 26, 2011

which rlm video was it where they cut to out of context clips of carrie fisher saying weird poo poo like "did you everh rembrheh wheshrf fvesch I was a general? 🥴"

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Ingmar terdman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsERzZt9dro

back when Carrie was alive and Oscar didn't want to die

thanks, bless

Cubone
May 26, 2011

also george lucas:

quote:

Originally, I was trying to have the story be told by somebody else (an immortal being known as a Whill); there was somebody watching this whole story and recording it, somebody probably wiser than the mortal players in the actual events. I eventually dropped this idea, and the concepts behind the Whills turned into the Force.
he's just doing that thing he does

something got pulled from the original trilogy while it was being made, and he's still sore about it 40 years later, so he pretends instead of being cut it was actually intended to be in the future movies all along, but it's confusedly mixed in with other poo poo he's come up with in the meantime
(the piles and piles of discarded ideas from lucas's early screenplays for star wars (the 1977 film) that resurfaced in heavily mutated form in the prequels... explain a lot about the prequels)
I wouldn't be surprised if the whills were not even microscopic organisms a few years ago

Cubone
May 26, 2011

my dog died im sad posted:

I just want to let you know I read this on my flight today and it is amazing. Everyone should read it.

👍

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I didn't get it. Looking up info on Richard Gere didn't show anything obvious like some scandal about him wanting to buy babies or something.
he puts gerbils in his rear end

it's the only rumor there has ever been about richard gere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011