Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LabyaMynora posted:

He was always going to die. Can't kill billions of people and then go be redeemed at the end and live. The redemption of someone like that will always involve them sacrificing their life, otherwise the narrative implications are just bonkers.

Star Wars EU to the rescue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol there's a loving insane blind item on Reddit claiming that Disney deliberately hosed up the editing of TROS to make JJ look bad so that Warner Brothers/D.C. wouldn't pick him up to revive the D.C. movie franchises, because Disney sees that as the biggest threat to their actual cash cow: the MCU.

https://old.reddit.com/r/saltierthancrait/comments/eisnd8/heres_what_ive_been_told_from_a_source_that/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The funniest thing in the blind item is Disney thinking that Babu Frick would be the new Jar Jar so they wanted to cut him out completely.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Interesting how DC films are well received when Zack Snyder isn't involved :thunk:

When Patty Jenkins made a D.C. superhero movie that wasn't a huge pile of poo poo, the D.C. suits should have just put her in charge of all of it.

Same thing with John Favreau and The Mandalorian. You found someone who knows how to do it; now let them do it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

e:though i haven't seen dunkirk

Eh

It's impressive how much work they did, but then they refused to do any CGI at all, so the scenes on the beach that should have 80,000 people just have a few dozen.

Also the climax for the pilot guy is that he saves the beach by getting a dead-stick kill OFFSCREEN on the plane that was about to gently caress the people on the beach up. Motherfuckers, you show me how that works because it's a cool idea.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

The :tinfoil: stuff about Disney fearing a JJ-led DCU renaissance is ridiculous, but I definitely believe there was a 3 hour cut of the movie very late in the ballgame.

Based on the pacing of the first half, I bet the 3-hour cut made a lot more sense.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

The other big takeaway from the blind item is that apparently all the force ghosts who spoke to Rey originally appeared? That seems credible, since some of the voices come from characters who are impossible to identify without seeing them. This would be very goofy, but the scene is goofy in the final cut anyway, so why not?

That also matches the leaks that were fairly accurate. They said all the force ghosts fought alongside Rey.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

piratepilates posted:

what kind of content is on their patreon anyway? is there anything worth subscribing for, aside from giving them money to keep making free videos?

That's where the nudes are

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

piratepilates posted:

the other weird conspiracy theory is that rlm is also responsible for everyone starting to hate TLJ, and theirs alone.

That's dumb their HitB review of it was "Eh, it's alright"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Man, Uncut Gems is a real anxiety producer.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thank god I've still got some fireworks left over from New Year's

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hemingway To Go! posted:

is it oughts nostalgia baiting really happening

20 Times When "Scrubs" Accurately Predicted the Future (You Won't Believe #9)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Rich should wear a suit all the time

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Endless Trash posted:

Rich Evans in a suit is bae

I get more of a Jack Lemon in Glengary Glen Ross vibe.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Does IP cost that much? Gotta do 20 public domain movies a year? Where's my gritty Jack & the Beanstalk reboot? Why haven't we had 4 Hansel & Gretel movies in the last 5 years?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Your yearly reminder that the last Peter Pan movie featured a rendition of a Nirvana song because, uh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNInHlSCW4E

What in the everloving gently caress

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If Pesci doesn't get Best Supporting Actor then we riot

Best Supporting Actor:

Joe Pesci
Kevin Garnett
Baby Yoda
Babu Frick
Williem Dafoe

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

its all nice on rice posted:

ROS was ok. A lot of dumb poo poo, and pacing is all over the place, but it's perfectly fine if you just want to shut your brain off and watch space splosions.
LOL at people freaking out over it.

It's very important that everyone else acknowledges that Star Wars/Marvel/DCU are bad.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
JoJo Rabbit is real good. Could use more Sam Rockwell and Rebel Wilson though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

revwinnebago posted:

[stares unblinking]

Oh you mean ironically! Every movie needs a lot of Sam Rockwell and Rebel Wilson, because they're suuuuch good actors.

Huh? They were the funniest parts.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
gently caress you netflix

https://twitter.com/seewhatsnext/status/1214201795641110529

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Goddammit, where the Culk Junka episode?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Universe Master posted:

No thanks, I don't want my goop to reach new depths.

It's maybe the greatest promotional picture I've ever seen. Gwyneth Paltrow inside a vagina and it says "Reach new depths". It's stunning

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I can believe a celebrity created a billion-dollar cosmestics/bullshit empire.

I cannot believe she did it with the name "Goop". Any company that pays some branding consultants $100,000 to come up with a new name is loving stupid because you can build an international behemoth named loving Goop.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

i know our society/culture really does a number on women but i thought everyone on the planet regardless of gender knows that gwyneth paltrow's nonsense about cramming rocks up your snooch was loving idiotic, is there really a big enough demographic that netflix creating an entire series about it could possibly be profitable? or are they so incredibly deep in the red at this point that this is gwyneth paltrow paying them to essentially make advertisements for her?

wikipedia posted:

In 2018, Goop raised $50 million in Series C funding from firms including NEA, Lightspeed and Felix Capital,[35] bringing total investment in the company to $82 million. The company's valuation rose to $250 million.[36]

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

revwinnebago posted:

Other ways of knowing is also a fashionable thing. It's the new version of "I'm not religious I'm spiritual". So like in some circles the ideal woman will work at a genetics lab or an ad agency making six figures, then come home and do tarot and astrology unironically. Don't look at me I'm as baffled as anybody but I've seen a successful group of Sex and the City stereotypes pull out an Astrology book and honestly consider the relationship advice contained therein. It does not surprise me that Goop has an audience.

I know a few women like that. To a woman, their interests in astrology began ironically.

It's the lady version of Zack Baggins ghost hunting

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cubone posted:

it works but, like, what makes your movie special?
that kind of information gets lost in the consolidation of style

You gotta bring back the guy who tells the whole story right up to the climax in the trailer!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Scaramouche posted:

Combine them:
"In a world, that's BWAAAH changing, only one man can BWAAAH"

*super slow music*
♪ I'm blue
♫ A ba dee a ba dye

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There are only seven stories

Overcoming the Monster.
Rags to Riches.
The Quest.
Voyage and Return.
Rebirth.
Comedy.
Sad Milwaukee alcoholic gets more and more purple until he dies.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LabyaMynora posted:

"You know why HE wants Baby Yoda."

I never watched The Mandalorian and probably won't, but I enjoyed this content.

It's pretty good. I'd say it's worth a watch.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LabyaMynora posted:

I refuse to pay for Disney+ and I'm too drat old to start downloading torrents and hunting for :filez: again.

Since I doubt this counts as :filez: :

The DuckDuckGo search engine does not respond to DMCA takedown notices.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

eric ciaramella posted:

excited for season 2 and excited to see how they ruin it in season 3.

:same: but The Boys

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You can tell the Star Wars corporate office didn't have much to do with The Mandalorian because in the last episode they have an extended comedy scene where one of the punchlines is stormtroopers getting pissed off at Baby Yoda and punching him repeatedly.

Also, because none of the other characters know what the Force is. Like Carl Weathers is in the finale going "Make him do the hand thing!"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

wait for real or are you making a goof

It's pretty funny. The stormtroopers (I think one of them is the tall guy from How I Met Your Mother) shoot the poo poo for like 5 minutes waiting for orders and Baby Yoda either keeps making noises or biting them, so they deck him repeatedly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They all seemed so excited and full of life after the first movie.

Now Daisy Ridley always looks like she wants to go back to playing CSI corpses.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i was happy that she got to use her corpse experience in RoS

Oh poo poo, I forgot about that.

Watching RoS, I was like "drat she's real good at playing dead".

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They're gonna make Baby Yoda real Yoda's great-great-great-grandchild since the new trilogy firmly re-established that the Force is a genetic thing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yodas are Jawas

You have no proof this isn't true

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sheen Sheen posted:

Are Yodas gonna be retconned into Whills or whatever the gently caress George Lucas was (supposedly) on about

Those are the microscopic organisms that control the midichlorians and thus the Force.

I always picture Dr. Suess characters using elaborate, tiny machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's cool that if you suggested to JJ that the death stars should escalate to destroying stars, he would either say that's too complicated for the audience to understand or not understand himself

I want someone to sit JJ down in front of a camera with a piece of paper and a pencil and make him draw what is happening during the "hyperspace skipping" scene.

I think there's a way to make it make sense, but it's most definitely not what he's thinking.