Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

oohhboy posted:

The abnormal reaction would be "Senpai noticed me!".

I would be a little upset if I was Mike between endless poo poo Trek and getting caught up in some dumb af Twitter thing with your childhood hero that you had nothing to do with. He needs match Rich's power move to dump the warp core and abandon ship. The Hack Frauds need to have some fun by watching the Orville instead of complaining about how your head would explode from too much Trek. Or he is jelly Seth made orbit while he is stuck doing podcasts.

Mike legit loves Star Trek and the vision of a hopeful future with humanity intelligently overcoming its problems and limitations. He’s been upset for years over Kurtzman, Abrams and Orci turning it into depressing sci-fi action schlock, with some hackneyed tacked-on message about Brexit or the Orange Man to make it all seem like it’s actually about something. Now Captain Kirk himself is pulling up pictures of Mike’s face and making fun of him on Twitter in front of millions of people.

I’d be loving depressed too, but I pretty much wrote off new-Trek after Into Darkness.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Gripweed posted:

comic book movies are good again

drat, that’s uhm... a nice costume.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Lister posted:

The movie didn't hit much with me because I just didn't care at all about the problems of an aging movie star.

That’s the crux of Tarantino movies for me. They’re incredibly well made and keep me interested the whole time, but I can’t really give a poo poo about the plot or the characters.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The Borg, were there no Gleep-Gloops at Starfleet? If not there's more fuel for the "rotting from the head" better story that they didn't loving bother with.

I think the lack of aliens in Picard, had a lot to do with the reduced budget. Amazon agreed to pick it up for international distribution, but for much less than CBS was asking for. The first two seasons of Discovery had a much larger budget and it shows.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

God, a corrupted xenophobic Federation would be a perfect medium for commentating on modern social issues of course they don't have the balls for it

That’s what they were going for in Picard, but it was handled in the most hamfisted way possible, where they literally just inserted Brexit into the Star Trek universe with the Romulans as the Space Syrians. It had the sort of nuance you’d expect from a middle school social studies essay.

Then they undermined their whole dumb message, because Raffi’s insane right-wing conspiracy theory about the Romulans blowing up their own rescue fleet was actually true all along; plus the synths really were all horrible people ready to wipe out all organic life at the drop of a hat. So really we should be loving afraid of people different than us! Thanks Alex Kurtzman!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Most of what I’ve seen is just people trying to inject some sense, by saying that “Hey RLM are big fans of yours who make good/popular content”. But Bill is having none of it. It seems like it’s 50% him just loving dumb Twitter arguments and being too egotistical to admit he’s wrong or even just walk away, and the other 50% is him being 89 years old and not understanding YouTube. That “article” he wrote is nonsense, just dozens of his tweets strung together into disjointed paragraphs.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Bill is harassing two honest working joes from Milwaukee, who are just trying to earn a living and support their son Rich who has stage four terminal laughter.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

steinrokkan posted:

Shatner spent most of his life doing ridiculous spoken word albums and shilling awful ghost-written sci-fi novels, imagine having any measure of respect for him.

I respect Shatner for his Star Trek work, and I ironically love him for the decades of mostly unintentional entertainment he’s provided. But the guy is an egotistical rear end who could never come to terms with the fact that he decisively failed in his bid to become the next big Hollywood leading man in the 60’s. I thought he had calmed down and learned some humility and self-deprecating humor in his old age, but I guess I was wrong.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Twitter is a loving toilet, and the garbage that passes for public discourse on there has seeped into the real world and is the cause of most of our problems.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Derek Smart has to be Shatner’s social media manager, it’s the only explanation.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

mallratcal posted:

Laughing all the way to the bank with his $1,300.00!

Shatner doesn’t realize that it wouldn’t even cover a month of Rich Evan’s diabetes treatments and speech therapy.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1287826233372184576

All the countries with their poo poo together get to watch Tenet

The USA has been put in timeout. No movies till we’ve finished our Cornavirus.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 28, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

Watched some of that show by the Bob's Burgers people, Central Park.

It's not very good. Like you know how sometimes Bob's Burgers has songs, and they're charmingly amateurish? OK what if we added a Braodway level of trying really hard and also there were 5 songs an episode?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1KE6tRN_Qs

Oh, it's not funny? And all the songs sound the same in the way that all Broadway musical numbers sound the same?

Oh god that’s awful... like you might as well watch Glee. Bob’s Burgers always had multiple layers of comedy/irony in its songs, and often used them to make fun of popular entertainment. But this is just your mom singing along and crying to a recording of Rent as she drives you to soccer practice.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

LabyaMynora posted:

Universal is betting on AMC dying before the end of COVID.

EDIT:

They were dying before COVID due to lovely financial practices, they're going to be extra dead now.

Yeah the theater industry has been dying for over a decade now. Even Disney saw the handwriting on the wall and has just been trying to plunder it’s last few big cash cows before concentrating totally on Disney Plus.

Even in the best case scenario, it’s going to be well into 2021 before you can get people to pack into a theater again. That means their entire Summer and Holiday seasons this year are gone. I just don’t see them recovering from that.

It’s going to completely upend Hollywood’s business model of relying on a dozen big budget franchise action films each year to make almost all of their money. I think in the long run that will be a good thing.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I enjoy going to Alamo Drafthouse for showings of older films I never got to see theatrically. Usually do it annually for my birthday, if nothing else. Got to see The Shining two years back on the big screen which was lovely, and Army of Darkness a few years before that.

Yeah I do like going to Alamo Drafthouse, and I think
indie theaters and higher end venues that offer dinner/booze and a whole night out will probably survive. But the days of cramming your butt into a sticky seat at your local Regal Cineplex, to see the reanimated corpse of some actor reprise their role from 40 years ago in the latest franchise soft-reboot are probably over.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

hard counter posted:

i never thought it would come to this

but gentlemen, it's now time to #cancel red letter media

I bet if you invest enough in whatever Blockchain scam Shatner is peddling, he’ll recant and get on a plane to Milwaukee. He may be an egoistical idiot, but he loves money even more than himself.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I watched Lemon last night out of curiosity. It’s...interesting. I think the main character is an hilarious concept and oddly relatable, a person who isn’t evil, but has no redeeming qualities. There are some really darkly funny scenes, and Michael Cera is amazing; but it’s disjointed and ultimately goes nowhere. It feels like a much longer film chopped up and cut down to 90 minutes. The editing is all over the place, and often confusing; and the film as a whole can’t get a grip on the style it’s going for. I’d love to see the same actor/character in a more traditional narrative.

I’m surprised Mike likes it so much, but I’d still give it a mild recommendation if you’re stuck at home and bored like me, just for it’s weird but compelling sense of comedy and Micheal Cera’s character. I’d be interested to see what the director does in the future.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

hard counter posted:

7 made a ton of weird, contrived decisions like bothering to invent a situation where rey, a beginner, wins against kylo in a duel, but then it also chooses to rob it of any meaning by having the ground suddenly split apart between them??
the secret half map to luke was some weird poo poo, perhaps retrospectively a foreshadowing to all the sith artifact co-ordinate hunting that was to come in ep9, and bringing back luke's esb sabre as some random item in the lost and found of a space bar are also examples of c minus writing imho, not even getting into how poorly ep7's overall resistance vs first order plot connects with the ot

maybe the film was good at convincing you the nu-trilogy had potential, while also foisting all the narrative work to the next film, it certainly tried to play it very safe, but i think that bar was pretty low to begin with

Yeah 7 got bogged down in being a completely unnecessary soft reboot. Star Wars is seared into pop culture, it didn’t have to be “reintroduced to a new generation”. The Empire 2.0 vs Rebels 2.0 and an even biggerer Death Star was bottom of the barrel trash writing. But it kept enough of the major plot points open ended that 8 could have done something creative with them.

But then Rian Johnson decided to piss all over JJ Abrams and make some weird meta-commentary on the franchise that left nothing for 9. It became pretty obvious that Lucasfilm planned nothing ahead and was just flying by the seat of their pants with what was the biggest entertainment franchise ever. Now Disney is trying to pick up the pieces, but the damage has been done, they’re never going to have a giant 2 billon dollar blockbuster like TFA again.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 31, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Hackers film 1995 posted:

hmmm. i showed spaceballs to my wife (she had never seen it) and it was a bit embarrassing for me because i said it was good. she thought it was stupid and looking through her non-nostalgia eyes i can say that she is right. i still love it though

I would put it somewhere in the lower half of Mel Brooks films. It has some clever gags, but it feels like it’s really struggling to find elements in OT Star Wars that are actually worth parodying. Mel Brooks was at his best when he was making fun of franchises and genres that had a long history in Western culture, which gave him a deeper well to draw from (Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein). Or, he was going after the entertainment industry which he knew intimately (The Producers).

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Calaveron posted:

Maz Kanata is the worst character in any of the 9 movies, you can't prove me wrong.

But say what you will, the sequel trilogy is still better than the prequel trilogy

I think the sequel trilogy are better made films. Though, given a choice between the disjointed corporate slop of the ST and the bizarre choices of George Lucas culminating in a spectacular train wreck, I would much rather re-watch the PT.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Old Leia was just sad. No one wanted to admit it, but poor Carrie Fischer was just too burned out from a lifetime of drug abuse. She really struggled at times to even get her lines out, especially in TLJ. I think it’s why she was put into a coma for most of the film and they introduced the pointless new character Admiral Prom Dress to take her place.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I can now really imagine the whole Star Wars saga as Sheev Palpatine’s struggle with his gender identity. Thanks.

I would buy the hell out of a transvestite Sheev action figure and add it to my Drag Race playset.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 1, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I could have sworn that Wilford Brimley has been over 80 with diabetes for the last 30 years.

I googled him and couldn’t find any picture of him that looked like he was younger than 50. He was born that way.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

sponges posted:

Could someone explain this threads obsession with this woman?

Thanks

I can’t say Jenny really makes good content, but she’s occasionally funny, and her lack of screen presence/charisma is sort of endearing. A few times a year I’ll check out her channel, but I would never want a steady diet of her content. RLM is much more funny and insightful.

Really though, I think her appeal to a lot of people is that she’s the quirky and nerdy-cute girlfriend that they wish they had.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

RickRogers posted:

I've been staring into the flaming, abyssal palantir we call 'internet' far too long to believe it's anything other than a creepy sex thing. Because it's always a creepy sex thing.

Exactly. The bedrock of the entire internet is thirsty nerds trapped in some parasocial hell.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

oohhboy posted:

Rich quit because of this despite rolling in the green playing video games with little skill. Jack was also a parasite infecting Rich. Who would watch Jack?

Yeah the chat for their streams was often a mess of bizarre personal questions. RLM’s weirder fan base came out and thought it was their window into the guy’s personal lives.

Plus Jack was Jack...

The Escapist seems to be running an experiment to test the limits of human endurance to exposure to Jack Packard.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

$30? For a pointless live action remake? That’s really pushing it. A few other films that have done this have been around $20.

I guess wether it succeeds or not is going to be a big indication of where the industry goes from here. But I just think the days of charging a big upfront fee for new content are over. Especially when you know it’s just going to be put on a streaming service for free or a small rental charge within a month or two. Or you could buy the 4K Blu-ray for less.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

As much as I loved BSG back in the day, I can’t re-watch it knowing that the main plot went worse than nowhere.

RDM and the writers admitted that they didn’t really have an overall plan, which becomes pretty clear by Season 3. But that ending... Everyone just arbitrarily decides to ditch all of their technology and go off in small groups to live in the harsh wilderness of Ice Age Earth, which really just amounts to mass suicide. RDM was the OG Benioff and Weiss.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 5, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's what RDM wanted to imply but more likely is that the Colonials all died out within a few generations because they gave up their loving technology and didn't have a way to adapt and handle harsh earth winters. They also split up rather than stick together which would have harmed their chances even further.

Can you imagine all of the elderly, children, disabled and people with serious medical conditions who came from a society centuries more advanced than ours, just saying “gently caress yeah let’s drop everything and go hunt some Woolly Mammoths with wooden spears because Lee Adama said so!”?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

infernal machines posted:

Yes, but only if you stop watching at the mid-season 4 finale. That's where the series ends, season 4 episode 10.

Yeah it should have ended there, or at least moved forward from that revelation. Them landing on a destroyed and irradiated earth

The show advertised in multiple ways that it took place in our far future, just to pull the whole two earths ancient aliens nonsense.

infernal machines posted:

There's no shortage of magic when they can't be arsed to write their way out of the blind corners they wrote themselves into, and the robuts constantly reference their belief in a monotheistic god, as the survivors do a pantheon, but it was still a terrible ending to the series.

"God did it" being terribly unsatisfying may be a meditation on belief, but it's not a good conclusion to a four year sci-fi series that billed itself as having a completely plotted story arc in the style of Babylon 5.

Their dumb asses started writing story cheques they couldn't cash just to keep the fans guessing, and the result was entirely predictable.

Exactly this.

They kept doubling down on the Cylon God/Final Five mysticism after the New Caprica plot; to the point that the storyline became an incoherent mess. They completely lost sight of the series’ backstory and lore. They had the chance to turn it around at the season 4 and 1/2 cliffhanger, but they doubled down and made it even more nonsensical. It’s what has kept the series from breaking into the mainstream and spawning any lasting spinoffs.

But the first 2 seasons were some really great sci-fi.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Tighclops posted:

Maybe the old men would enjoy the new material if it wasn't incoherent, depressing and often blatantly plagiarized trash designed primarily to cash in on people's memory of other stuff and also gets dunked on repeatedly by other contemporary science fiction shows

I’m only 30, but I sometimes I start to feel like an old man who can’t accept new entertainment so I have to go back and watch my old stories.

But Kurtzman Trek is just horribly written trash that has to try to bait people in with nostalgia for old Trek. It can’t stand on its own at all. I really wanted to like Discovery, I was hugely excited for Trek to return to the small screen. I watched the first season and liked quite a bit of it, even though it was uneven and the ending was dumb. But the second season broke my brain, by the 5th time Micheal got teary eyed and exclaimed “We’re family!” as the music swelled following some nonsensical action scene, I was done.

I watched the first episode of Picard for free on YouTube and couldn’t even get through it. I knew exactly where they were going with it and had no desire to see more.

There are much better sci-fi shows out there. The Expanse completely laps anything that has come out of the Star Trek franchise since the end of DS9.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

No Mods No Masters posted:

To be merely 30 years old on these forums is as though being a tiny infant, relatively speaking

I came to SA for the never ending comedy of Star Citizen, but I stayed for the adorably antiquated opinions of all you crotchety Boomers.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

A discussion of DS9 will be Rich and Mike talking about how they like it but also about how it ruined Star Trek by giving dipshits directing future series the wrong idea about how to do an imperfect Federation.

Yeah I think Rich has pretty much said as much in some of their previous videos. The thing about DS9 is that it really was the same post-Borg Federation from TNG, it just showed how the Federation really worked on a more day to day level. It starts with Picard and the Enterprise having negotiated the withdraw of the Cardassians from Bajor and then zipping off to their next adventure; while Sisko is stuck trying to clean up the mess of a war torn and impoverished planet on the verge of civil war.

It’s a smart deconstruction of TNG, but people like Kurtzman only took away Section 31 and some surface level grim-darkness, and then used it as a license to make Star Trek just a depressing slog through all of the problems of the modern world.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Raskolnikov38 posted:

eh the back half of enterprise was fine

minus the nazi lizards and fat riker

ENT Season 4 finally became a sort of decent prequel to TOS, but it was only after two seasons of it completely ignoring its own premise and trying to be the poor man’s TNG, and then one season of Space 24.

Late Berman-Era Trek was pretty awful, and the franchise was already creatively bankrupt long before Abrams, Orci and Kurtzman took it over. They’ve just been beating its dead corpse like a piñata hoping that some more money falls out.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 6, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Endless Trash posted:

Discovery and Picard will get scrapped because of coronavirus

I don’t have any inside knowledge I’m just an optimist at heart

I’m imaging Rich trying to pronounce the first book’s title and having a blast

Discovery Season 3 is definitely happening since it was filmed before the pandemic. But there are rumors that there won’t be a season 4, the sets have been torn down, and they desperately tried to re-shoot/re-edit the last episode into a series finale.

Picard season 2 will still happen, but it’s going to be a while since they haven’t filmed any of it yet.

None of the other shows that they have in “development” like the Pike and Section 31 spinoffs have any funding.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I had completely forgotten about Lexx until I saw the posts about it. It was like recalling parts of a fever dream. I had some vague recollection of the robot head thing and the sexy not-Seven of Nine character, I guess I saw a few episodes on the Sci-fi channel as a kid, but there were so many b-grade sci-fi series back then that’s it’s all sort of a blur.

Now Andromeda, that was a thinking man’s show...

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 7, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

FlamingLiberal posted:

Scripts are currently being written for the Pike Enterprise show so that's not correct

also the 'Disco cancelled' thing is from a random Reddit post

Yeah the Pike show is in development, I didn’t dispute that. But there’s no deal in place to fund its actual production.

The Disco stuff is rumors(as I said), but it’s coming from sources that have been correct in the past, so make of it what you will.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

lobsterminator posted:

I didn't know Kurtzman was involved from the first nu-Trek. I thought he was just someone who came aboard recently and ruined everything, because I only really started hearing his name in the last year or so. But he's been ruining Trek for 11 years so far.

Yeah Kurtzman has been hanging onto Abram’s coattails for over a decade. He co-wrote ST09 and ITD. So he’s had his grubby little hack fingers in the franchise for 11 years now. Considering that ITD flopped, and Nu-Trek as whole really hasn’t made any money during that entire time, it’s pretty amazing that he’s still in charge. He also helmed another huge flop (The Mummy) which tanked the entire plan for Universal’s extended universe.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

WeaponX posted:

Think of the CGI nightmare we would get today..

I don’t get Hollywood’s obsession with either bad old age makeup or bad CGI faces. Just cast age appropriate actors. I really liked the Irishman, but the De Niro CGI was laughably bad, and even if it wasn’t, he still moved and talked like a 75 year old man. They really needed a younger actor at least for the stuff that took place in the 50s and 60’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Andro Dunos posted:

Will Shatner be buried wearing a toupee?

The Shat’s toupee collection will be displayed in the US National Archives for all posterity, right next to the original Constitution.