Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

John Boyega is openly shittalking the movies now

Haaris
@HK_Sweeney
I love John Boyega

View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter
8:41 PM - Dec 31, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
109 people are talking about this

And now everyone hates him lol

Boyega rules and was criminally under used in the sequels. Also after that dumb poo poo Ridley said about how she had it as tough as him he should loving collect scalps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

The original sin of the sequels is not realizing r2d2 is Star Wars' main character. This is how you end up with them going oh poo poo, who is it? is it han? leia? luke? palpatine? why aren't any of these movies working?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

He's doing this because he knows their spite will force Disney to double down on JJ and the movies.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

More of a prolapsed universe than an extended one imo

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

I loved Tron as a kid but I was always a boring long attention span kid, so apparently the consensus was it was boring?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Victis posted:

Also lmao at your humblebrag

Uhhh, I said I was a boring kid who liked people in spandex throwing shiny frisbees around, not Barry Lyndon or something. You ok?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Moola posted:

I like the complete lack of effort at set design. Starfleet apparently is going through a phase where all their buildings have to look like circa 2020 San Francisco convention centers

Trek has a long history of repurposing buildings as futuristic sets, but it feels like there's no effort here, like here's very recognizable herman miller and ikea office furniture in a standard looking meeting room. This is a JJ Trek thing -- which apart from the cynicism of it to try to get away with cheap sets on high budget films, and apart from the paper thin justification of "ships should look more industrial in this universe" (ok so they look like beer factories?) -- is just another tell of not getting the genre, because filming in factories is well-established visual language of a distinct strain of scifi and genre films in the 80s that has little to do with the aesthetic, themes or morality play lineage of Star Trek. It's the production design and aesthetic extension of these films and shows not getting why their gritty dystopian action tropes don't work in Star Trek; it's not that Star Trek isn't rife with bad rehashes, genre cliches and cheap sets, it's that it is drawing from a distinct set.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yeah I had been thinking when I watch e2. The scifi special effect budget should be used to build the overworld, not how many polygon they can show off on screen, random objects that has nothing to do with this particular scifi world. Each scifi show really need a non verbal lore master. A fairly higher up position who work directly under the showrunner to keep the world interesting and consistent.

edit: scifi movie and shows shouldn't hire action directors. You are selling the show to the wrong kind of crowds and it will hurt your show in the long run.

I have a hard time believing something like Discovery even has a show bible, a standard for loving sitcoms, much less a technical manual or anyone bridging lore, technical, art, and design like the Okudas or Zimmerman. Imagine the poor sap being called into the writers' room to resolve a dispute about the constraints of the shroom drive or the time travel suit, right after having to pitch a modified tricorder design that interpolates ENT, TOS, TAS, and ST09 to a meeting of 14 producers who don't care and want it to look like Iron Man because they've seen that.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

IP strip mining.

Mount Doom top removal.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Hillary 2020 posted:

Google revealing a new guest star

That Len picture looks like it's Jon Hamm playing him in the inevitable RLM biopic.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I’ve never seen Twin Peaks, can one jump into the new series and enjoy it or am I gonna be super confused

You will be super confused and have a bad, bad time. If you watch the old stuff first, you will be super confused and have a good, good time.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

I'm an old millennial who watched Perry Mason obsessively as a kid, and I have never met anyone my age or younger who so much as is aware of its existence. What even is the point. Just do something new.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

I tried to make my eyes go through the million boomer words but I ended up just blindly scrolling and landed on a part where he tries to figure out how much mike is making per video. Come home to the thread shatner, one of us

Yeah I would be somewhat sympathetic to how annoying and hostile fanbases can be, and the weird parasitic culture of lots of youtube reviewers, but seriously gently caress actors complaining about people who do literally anything else in media production making money.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

I'm one of those social consideration nazis that only feels like a ticket is worthwhile at Alamo and other no-noise theaters. It used to be the same at most art cinemas because you'd think no one exists that would pay $$ to go watch a limited release foreign language art film and then look at their phone, talk with their friends, and complain about how this movie doesn't make any sense and they can't wait for the CinemaSins, but well it turns out those people exist somehow. The crowd still affects your experience and can add to the magic without the people next to you talking for 10 minutes about who's going to the car first when the movie is over in an hour and a half.

Even at no tolerance theaters where they make it very clear, every other movie there's always someone who gets in trouble and makes a scene about muh freedom or whatever. I realize there are people that want to talk all through the film or get a panic attack if they don't check whatsapp ever 5 minutes or whatever, fine, go to any other theater. I don't want every theater to be quiet focus zone, I just want that to be available at some theater.

I got dragged by family to go see Some Star Wars Cash-in at an AMC or whatever one holiday and the projector was so out of focus you couldn't read text, but no one gave a poo poo because the entire theater was on their phone watching videos. I was near the back and could see the entire audience look up at the screen whenever a loud noise happened. I guess for some people the theater is a timeshare communal living room, which is an interesting concept and if that's what people want I'm glad they have it.

I'm good with rowdy theaters for pure action movies. One of my best theater memories was watching The Protector in a theater packed with people very unprepared for Tony Jaa because there'd been a projector failure for whatever summer blockbuster was supposed to be showing in the next room.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Love to pay $20 to go a theater and soak up the human reactions to art, like "Hey yeah I saw your message. Nah I'll call you back later I'm in a movie. No I don't know what it is, it's got the guy from the thing. No I don't know what's happening. Listen you know what's up with Clint, he gonna be there? No after. No I'll call you guys after when I'm out. I may just bail on this soon but I heard there's a good fight later on. Hey these assholes keep telling me to hang up I'll just text you in a sec" *whatsapp message sound*

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

They're called friends, Josh.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

About the only entertainment I've ever gotten from assholes who refused to shut up during a movie was the group of drunks in The Revenant who took nearly two hours of arguing to finally establish that DiCaprio was that dude from Titanic, immediately followed by one of them, upon seeing the other guy in a movie with basically two characters, going, "wait, who's this guy?". At least that was engaging with the movie.

Still wasn't worth it to spend the rest of the time learning about what sex acts they were totally gonna perform on whatever women at the bar if the boring rear end movie hadn't started so soon.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

QuiGon's secret to force ghosting was cumming. The ancient Jedi knew that when they nut it would turn them into pure force energy, which is why they forbid romantic attachments. Anakin got away with it bc he had already turned to the dark side. Kylo didn't know and welp.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Anakin's birth is the result of Palpatine and Darth Plagueis Force-jizzing into Shmi's womb, this is canon btw

It took the script editors months to convince Lucas to change his name from Skeet to Sheev.

Zzulu posted:

Rey was not a nobody, she had special blood that was full of midichlorians. Only people of a special lineage can become jedis, because of the societies of mini-lifeforms that live in their blood

It's literally canon

Force ghosting works by busting so hard the midichlorians leave the body. Dr. Strangelove is Episode 10.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

This rhetoric about "one of the fans/supporters of X did Y and X didn't stop it!" is just telling on what a bizarre neofeudal view of the world these people have.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

RickRogers posted:

Ha, what the actual gently caress. The only sci-fi I have seen that looks worse is the educational kids program that failed to teach me math.

Edit: and farscape

Farscape is the best post-DS9 sci-fi show. Fight me.

It is very dumb, but knows it and is playful and creative without winking at the camera constantly.

Lexx is an entirely different tier of weird and bad, but in a watch-for-the-spectacle way.

Universe Master posted:

I turned my self into a tricorder Geordi, I'm Tricorder Riiiiiiick

I think you mean tribble rick

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

oohhboy posted:

Farscape is good. I never thought I needed a short alien royal that pisses fire nor TV's most intense frienmy bromance with a gimp suit wearer, yet here we are.

Farscape's best accomplishment as a show was how it balanced episodicity with ongoing arcs, especially in the earlier seasons. Now that every show is fully in the season-arc column, the problem is each episode seems insignificant and indistinguishable from the next because there's little investment in the immediate story, while in episodic shows often no episode has any tension because you know it will reset. In Farscape you could have a monster of the week show, and randomly have something happen due to that in the middle that affected the entire arc of the show. This gave stakes to the short term plots without making it seems like everything was either sorted into "episode plot" or "season arc". Crichton getting cloned is a great example. It also made space seem untamed and unpredictable.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Rich and Mike should read the Culture books.

Culture would make a far better fresh setting for optimistic utopian scifi than reanimating the corpse of a 60 year old TV show, but would also take much more vision and talent than almost any other TV show to do justice.

Too bad it's Amazon Prime that's making it.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

RickRogers posted:

Why is every review I'm seeing for lower decks praising it? Am I so out of touch?

Professional slop reviewer says: slop great! How do they keep coming up with stuff? Packed with all your favorite flavors! Eat more slop!

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

AV Club gave Ready Player One, the book, an A. This is the only data point you need about AV Club.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

A whole generation of men have a shared mass brain damage known as "IGN disease" where "graphics" -- meaning anything from special effects to cinematography to production design to lighting -- exist on a 1-d scale devoid of any contexts like history, intent, style, budget. These "graphics" are monotonic, they only get better over time, so if a technique is newer, it must be better and be used everywhere at all times regardless of how it looks. See the early 2000s games and bloom. Further, "graphics" are the most essential and objective measure of whether something is "good" or "bad", which are the only two valence opinions you are allowed to hold about any piece of art.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

"One more thing, the baby's eyes were stitched open. He was still alive when they did it."

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Endless Trash posted:

Where did Qui Gon learn it? Golly I’d pay good money to see a prequel prequel movie answering that very question starring a digitally de-aged Liam Neeson.

From microscopic force beings (but not midichlorians!) that control the destiny of the galaxy. The sequel trilogy treatment Lucas gave when he sold the franchise was about them. Would've been awful but way more interesting than the cloned rotting corpse of the series Emperor being roasted on planet "more = better than".

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Haven't seen any official confirmation or even actual media reporting this, but it seems like it would be a big deal if Disney just ended physical media and told everyone "Oh you want to watch our poo poo? Subscribe to one of our streaming services"

https://twitter.com/TheFilmStage/status/1292663528919388161

Please never pay for any Disney products.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

The Kins posted:

Today I learned that the Robocop TV series was not some childhood hallucination, but was in fact An Actual Thing.

I don't really remember anything specific about it, but I'm assuming it wasn't very good.

It is (used to be at least) on Amazon Prime if you really want to see it. You will immediately apologize to your deathbed self for the time you wasted.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

reignofevil posted:

Rich Evans and myself want the exact same things from star trek.

Same.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Always like to imagine that was Brooks going off between takes while the camera was still rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

lobsterminator posted:

Why do nerds on Twitter keep engaging Shatner on this? Especially the sincere ones like the one Shatner responded to. Shatner would be a really bad guest on RLM. I don't see how he would fit on any of their shows.

The actors and the youtube guys are their friends. Their friends can't be mad at each other!