Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

more like cybercrunk am i right here or what

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

infernal machines posted:

and here's gibson writing about singapore for wired in '93 i believe this is from the issue of wired stephenson mentions in mao bell

I've been to singapore a number of times and I like both the place and the people but there's definitely a weird feeling you get walking around I haven't been able to reproduce.

I flew in at 4am once and decided to hoof it to the Gardens by the bay to watch the sunrise, and the amount of cleaning staff working at 4am was insane. You could literally eat off the floor but people were still getting around with brooms and mops, tidying up the flowerbeds or checking a bin is still empty.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

watched this over the weekend for the first time and i had been missing out

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Crusader posted:

watched this over the weekend for the first time and i had been missing out

i got the three pack of this, chappie, and district 9 a while back and really need to watch them all.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

what is it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
elysium

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Never go full Gargoyle etc, but I would love to see something like this:

https://www.stereolabs.com/zed-2/

hooked to the front of a vr-style goggle setup and passing through to a portable processor to do real-time low-latency visualisations.

(I'm p. sure China already has cyber-cops walking their beats with similar hooked up to a HUD of some sort tied directly into their panopticon population database.)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i don't remember that bit at all, I've gotta watch that again

The chemrail or whatever the name of the gun is that he has at the end is bonkers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Never go full Gargoyle etc, but I would love to see something like this:

https://www.stereolabs.com/zed-2/

hooked to the front of a vr-style goggle setup and passing through to a portable processor to do real-time low-latency visualisations.

(I'm p. sure China already has cyber-cops walking their beats with similar hooked up to a HUD of some sort tied directly into their panopticon population database.)

i wanted to do something like this with a kinect but the biggest impediment to portability is the depth mapping/point cloud stuff needs some serious CUDA horsepower to run.

my workstation can do relatively low latency depth+video to VR, but nothing i'd be willing to toss in a backpack for a lark can

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

without context i can’t say for sure what this is, but there are sets of shoot/no shoot targets where variants of otherwise identical targets have different things in their hands like cameras, badges, and umbrellas in addition to some with handguns, rifles, and knives. often these target sets are sold as targets with no hands and a bunch of large stickers so you can make them carry whatever you want, and many of them are realistic drawings or photographs so you can have a person in a suit and tie with a shotgun, or a person in a hockey jersey and bandanna with a badge. the point of all those is to see if your student is actually looking at the hands and determining the presence of a deadly threat to make a shoot decision or if they’re deciding on something else (dress, race, etc), or if they’re just blasting every target that presents itself. having the heart, lungs, and brain “threat stopping areas” outlined on the target makes it much easier for instructors to score a drill, and you have to have them outlined on the no shoot targets too so students can’t decide based on absence or presence of the dotted lines.

given everything at the moment it’s kind of a bad look to display that, and of course some dickhead can always just shoot the no shoot targets for kicks, but the existence of this in a police supply store doesn’t mean cops are training to shoot people with phones. though they certainly can if they decide to.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Midjack posted:

without context i can’t say for sure what this is, but there are sets of shoot/no shoot targets where variants of otherwise identical targets have different things in their hands like cameras, badges, and umbrellas in addition to some with handguns, rifles, and knives. often these target sets are sold as targets with no hands and a bunch of large stickers so you can make them carry whatever you want, and many of them are realistic drawings or photographs so you can have a person in a suit and tie with a shotgun, or a person in a hockey jersey and bandanna with a badge. the point of all those is to see if your student is actually looking at the hands and determining the presence of a deadly threat to make a shoot decision or if they’re deciding on something else (dress, race, etc), or if they’re just blasting every target that presents itself. having the heart, lungs, and brain “threat stopping areas” outlined on the target makes it much easier for instructors to score a drill, and you have to have them outlined on the no shoot targets too so students can’t decide based on absence or presence of the dotted lines.

given everything at the moment it’s kind of a bad look to display that, and of course some dickhead can always just shoot the no shoot targets for kicks, but the existence of this in a police supply store doesn’t mean cops are training to shoot people with phones. though they certainly can if they decide to.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Midjack posted:

theyre training to shoot people so

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

theyre training to shoot people so

they get used with tasers and other less lethal things too.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Midjack posted:

they get used with tasers and other less lethal things too.

do they taze them before or after shooting them?

i guess both is also an option

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

do they taze them before or after shooting them?

i guess both is also an option

dunno for sure, i have never been involved with less lethal systems.

i’m not trying to excuse anything here with what cops do with these things and again, having that loving target on display in a store is dumb as hell.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah that came up in a different thread and someone posted a picture of the back side, which is identical in every way except the guy is holding a pistol. They're specifically meant to train cops to correctly identify a threat. (lol).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

yeah that came up in a different thread and someone posted a picture of the back side, which is identical in every way except the guy is holding a pistol. They're specifically meant to train cops to correctly identify a threat. (lol).
there was a scene demonstrating the process in the first part of the 1997 will smith documentary "men in black"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/killola/status/1282554937746980865?s=20

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
what kind of target do they use to train the iron fist

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

what kind of target do they use to train the iron fist

for 40mm stuff it's usually a large steel silhouette or big mound of dirt; when you're shooting cs or oc or explosive rounds you don't have to be as accurate as you do with bullets but you may have to see if the student can get a round in front of or behind a barricade consistently. looks like they're using a pile of railroad ties there.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/atomicarchive/status/1283071531132891136?s=20

yo NMN add this to your movie list

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also a goddamned rocket belt

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Some Fallout New Vegas poo poo right there.

also;

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

sadly not what i expected at the end of the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fbNyyrPrco

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol the neanderthals died out because they sounded like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTkF8tomobA

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
i'm reading zero history by gibson. this book is literally about pants and breakfast.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

easy money

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

i'm reading zero history by gibson. this book is literally about pants and breakfast.

yes. that's the last of the trilogy though, iirc spook country is a bit stronger and pattern recognition is moreso pants and breakfast

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

yes. that's the last of the trilogy though, iirc spook country is a bit stronger and pattern recognition is moreso pants and breakfast

spook country was also very about breakfast

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cyber-deepfake-activist-idUSKCN24G15E

quote:

Deepfake used to attack activist couple shows new disinformation frontier

Online profiles describe him as a coffee lover and politics junkie who was raised in a traditional Jewish home. His half dozen freelance editorials and blog posts reveal an active interest in anti-Semitism and Jewish affairs, with bylines in the Jerusalem Post and the Times of Israel.

The catch? Oliver Taylor seems to be an elaborate fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

they’re also about being strangely hot for secretaries.

in general coming into the third book of a gibson trilogy is disorienting if you didn’t read the first two.