Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
It's what I have to draw I might as well own it.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

^^^ Make the lighting more dramatic. Sunset lighting coming from a hole in her uh... cave / house? That is Wilma right? The hair gives it away. ^^^

Maybe imagine she is sitting in this chair.

Here is the first color pass on bug dude. These are taking a lot longer for some reason to get through. Some new prismacolors should be arriving soon.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 1, 2020

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

sigma 6 posted:

^^^ Make the lighting more dramatic. Sunset lighting coming from a hole in her uh... cave / house? That is Wilma right? The hair gives it away. ^^^

Maybe imagine she is sitting in this chair.

Here is the first color pass on bug dude. These are taking a lot longer for some reason to get through. Some new prismacolors should be arriving soon.

Thanks for the feedback, I already worked on it but it's very appreciated.
I figured out a really cool technique - added a correction layer of hue, saturation, brighteness.
Clipped to the folder with the character drawing.
Reduced brightness and saturation, pulled the hue towards the blue.
Then with a mask layer, I painted the lighting / shadows by erasing the areas where I wanted the light.
I think it came out nice. I also did another layer in screen blending mode clipped to the folder and drew in lighting with the background blue.
I did a similar thing to the background but used softer eraser to make a more smooth gradation.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Progress video
https://imgur.com/aMgzmo7

Hellbeard posted:

Thanks for the feedback, I already worked on it but it's very appreciated.
I figured out a really cool technique - added a correction layer of hue, saturation, brighteness.
Clipped to the folder with the character drawing.
Reduced brightness and saturation, pulled the hue towards the blue.
Then with a mask layer, I painted the lighting / shadows by erasing the areas where I wanted the light.
I think it came out nice. I also did another layer in screen blending mode clipped to the folder and drew in lighting with the background blue.
I did a similar thing to the background but used softer eraser to make a more smooth gradation.

Can you show us how you did this? A screen recording or timelapse or something?

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 2, 2020

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

October (9/13)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
https://twitter.com/cmarguel/status/1301449285062529025

Exaggerated chromatic aberration, tilt shift blur, dumb 80s pixelly effects, lots of noise? This one's got it all! But i think it works given the subject matter.

Shinmera posted:

October (9/13)

Your sense of lighting and color has gotten real good! That eruption has a great sense of exploding outward.

Argue fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 3, 2020

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

sigma 6 posted:

Can you show us how you did this? A screen recording or timelapse or something?

Sure thing.
Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv3KmU57OgM

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Little watercolour, getting back on the horse.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Little watercolour, getting back on the horse.

I've enjoyed all your watercolors so far, they just have this really nice mood to them.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

I loving love this.

Started making a painting of a circus poster. Gonna call it a night on this thing cuz my loving back hurts

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Tried to be a bit less obsessive and a bit more loosey goosey with this one:

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Some OG Evil Dead

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Cool work Phylodox and NAG.
It's gonna be a lot of work. Idk if I should call it 40K fan-art and be beholden to the GW IP / copyright or it's "compatible/inspired" since I'm not going off anything specific.
Do I even have a choice? I mean, it's an area of sci-fi fantasy that has plenty of other actors so difficult to tell.
Should I even worry about it at all tho, it's not like I'm selling it or publishing it anywhere commercially.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

A quick header image to go along with the new monthly update.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

More drawpilin' with friends.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I've been doing a little bit with quotes, just to improve my calligraphy. These include both the quote and a rubber stamp that I carved a few years ago.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Trolls.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

I've been loving your portraits sigma6! I was curious if there's a bigger project in mind with these, like a bestiary or something?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Probably have a ton of other art related stuff I should be doing but I find myself doing studies of Jordu Schell VFX masks or sculpts from his instragram.

Should probably switch it up to Spider Zero or Dominic Qwek or any number of amazing artists for ref but I have been stuck on Jordu for most of the year.

Sort of look at it like a master copy. Copy the "masters" and at some point some improvement is made on your own work... or so the story goes. Or you know - just take a class with them. I think Jordu offers classes and one of my students recommended him also. I first saw his work in a gallery show in L.A. and was struck by the realism and perfect anatomy / proportions / airbrush work etc.

Here is the reference for the last one. Not sure if I want to push this last one to color or not.

Just got an airbrush so I am keen to start using it for murals ad painting 3d prints. Anyone have any airbrush resources they care to share? Or have strong opinions on airbrush brands or equipment? Basically a new medium for me and I may have a coffeeshop mural which is going to be my next big project. Sooo.... yeah... airbrush. Like photoshop but not as forgiving? lol

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 7, 2020

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
My coworker's SO informed me that Mothman is apparently a gay icon now, further solidifying his place as my favorite cryptid. One late night doodle later, and I have drawn Mothman Lawyer, defender of LGBT+ rights.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Hey, that's interesting, sigma 6. I was wondering too.

Following a tip from Argue, I started using Clip Studio Paint instead of Photoshop a couple of days ago, and so far I really like it! Right out the box it's got more interesting brushes, and the price is only a fraction of PS.

Squidtamer DA posted:

My coworker's SO informed me that Mothman is apparently a gay icon now, further solidifying his place as my favorite cryptid. One late night doodle later, and I have drawn Mothman Lawyer, defender of LGBT+ rights.

This is very good

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Squidtamer DA posted:

This owns and I love it.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Made some really solid progress on this painting the past couple of days. Afraid of overworking the crab, so need to come at it tomorrow feelin all fresh. Really drat close to being finished with it though.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

NAG posted:

Hey, that's interesting, sigma 6. I was wondering too.

Following a tip from Argue, I started using Clip Studio Paint instead of Photoshop a couple of days ago, and so far I really like it! Right out the box it's got more interesting brushes, and the price is only a fraction of PS.

This is very good

Nice work. My students are raving about clip studio paint and procreate as being better than Photoshop but I just haven't made the jump yet. Krita has been pretty impressive for free software IMO and then there is this verve thing which is drat fun to play with for viscosity / liquid dynamics.
http://www.taron.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6

Don't think I have ever had so much painting "oils". (Corel) painter used to do this really well but I remember it being stupid sluggish and too slow to really use very well. Tried to use painter a few years ago again and just ended up going right back to photoshop.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

I love CSP for many years now.
idk about the fx, they're placeholder of course but I need to figure out how to use it to the best result.
Le update

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Just about finished with this!! Just need to rework the purple gradient a little bit and get a paint guide for the borders. The line work around the lettering isn't photographing well for some reason, but it doesn't look as blown out in person :shrug:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Little something from my sketchbook.

dog nougat posted:

Just about finished with this!! Just need to rework the purple gradient a little bit and get a paint guide for the borders. The line work around the lettering isn't photographing well for some reason, but it doesn't look as blown out in person :shrug:

This rules.

NAG posted:

Some OG Evil Dead

Love this!

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 10, 2020

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

dog nougat posted:

Absolutely amazing!

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Couple of drawings:

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

The handprints on the legs are excellent.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

NAG posted:

That is a good friend

Donna Summer I knew instantly

Love it

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Shinmera posted:

More drawpilin' with friends.

Shinmera
I don't know you at all but I haven't been in this thread for at least a year and the difference in your work is striking. Congratulations. You have distinctive look and it's now at a different level is all I can say. :)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Combining FF14 with Wish fashion because I can.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

NAG posted:

The handprints on the legs are excellent.

Thanks! You're improving quite nicely. I suggest giving a little focus to the edges or definition.

I drew a meme:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lotsa good work up in here y'all, keep at it!

Finally finished this dang poster. Made the mistake of helping my girlfriend cut her grass and used a string trimmer for a couple hours. My hands were jittery/shaking for a couple days, so there was no way I was gonna try painting like that, glad it finished. Feel like it took me too long tbh. Need to get it scanned, get some prints run off, and get it framed.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

OC do not steal

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Those are cool! Really nice economy of line.

Have a wooden raygun. Gonna do this cute lil beasty as my next painting. Just gonna do a side-on view with various parts labeled. A basic raygun technical drawing of sorts. Prob not gonna have the "MWAP" firing noise and energy discharge in the final piece though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I like these guys. They have a sort of haunted look to them.