Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

Scoss posted:

Some more daily studies. I am convinced they're gonna be a disaster every time I start and for about 20 minutes into them, but after doing 12 so far honestly only one has turned out to be abject poo poo that I wouldn't post.

these are very cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

readingatwork posted:

Nick Cage no. 3

really starting to capture his essence here

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

sigma 6 posted:

Gandalf Cage is best Cage.

Why do these all look completely natural

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

That new brush feel :yum:

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Augh acrylics are so different from oils. What is anything.

yeah acrylics kinda feel like bullshit compared to the smooth luxury of oils. although scumbling rules and i will scumble all day with the best of them.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Right? On the other hand I didn't gas myself with solvent fumes and it's dry already which feels insane.

yeah lol it kinda feels like cheating to walk away with a finished, dry painting after one session. When you switch from one to the other there is definitely a learning curve, but each is fun in its own way!

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

Imaginary Friend posted:

Crabs and staches.

I love the colors in this

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

NAG posted:

Adore Delano

i've been lurking this thread, you're getting really good at these!

Something I've noticed is that you seem a little reluctant to apply dark values to skin. For example, in this painting you have great contrast in the hair, but you shy away from using your full range of values on her face.

You picked a great reference with great lighting, which is half the battle. But sometimes it's hard to see values when you're working in color. If you switch both to black and white while you're painting, it's easy to see the difference and make changes. Pay attention to the nostrils and the cast shadow across the nose. The folds of the lips, the hair behind the ears, the cast shadow on the neck. These areas should be nearly black.

Another, more subtle thing I noticed is that you tend to use the background color or eraser to refine the edges of your shapes. This is ok in the beginning stages, but when left in the final result it looks as if the background color is on top of or "eating" your subject, ruining the depth you've worked so very hard to establish!!

I think if you work on these things, you will improve very quickly and take your skills to the next level.. and beyond!! Ganbatte :hai:

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

NAG posted:

Drag Queen Aquaria. Featuring the return of my nemesis: Hair

I don’t know if you’ve seen these before, but here’s a couple of blog posts that might help you think about how to render hair.

https://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2008/04/hair-string-mop.html?m=1

https://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2008/04/hair-ribbon-secret.html?m=1

Hair is one of my favorite things to draw, it’s really fun once you get the hang of it. Just trying to spread the joy

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

HopperUK posted:

These are great thank you!

:tipshat:

there's an incredible amount of info about every traditional medium there is, as well as generally applicable posts like that one. he's still updating even!

i accidentally linked the mobile site, so here's the web version with the handy index on the side.

https://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/?m=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

NAG posted:

You're getting really good at these! This whole series has been a treat, frankly.

I still need to work on my hair drawing skills but my biggest problem is that I keep running out of steam or losing interest before the drawing is finished

that hair is next level. also, the reflected light from the bow on the face :chefkiss: