Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Just a reminder that the Traveling CCircus Showcase of Wonders Show will be departing CC soon for its whirlwind adventure around the forums. Share your art, writing, animations, scrawlings, or whatever else you're proud of with the rest of the forums and see what goons from other subfora are up to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Hi! We're going to keep the art thread about art. If you want to own the libs or whatever, do that away from here because it's not welcome.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
PSA: Based on a discussion with some folks, I made a place where people can post their work for goons to peruse and hopefully commission art. The other purpose of the thread, and the thing that prompted me to ask people about it, was that I would like a place to point goons who would like to request forums art (like gang tags, avs, banners--things specific to SA). No one has to accept such a request, but at least I would have a central place to point people. Anyway here is the link, hopefully this is in some way useful to someone!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3964463

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Any thoughts about a new 2022 thread? I can just slap the current year on the title of this thread, if people prefer

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Right, for now I've just changed the name. Let me know if someone has a better title quip!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
boner, I added timg tags to your photos buddy

I am really bad at remembering to post when I like art but this thread continues to be a pro bookmark and very inspiring/educational

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Shinmera posted:

Thanks. It looking CG was a specific point of that one, since I wanted to get some approximation of what it would look like rendered. Not that I did a particularly good job at it, but that was the idea.

Nice line weights on your sketch there! Makes me want to give brush pens another go.

For now though, starting on 2023:

love this

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
i don't do nearly enough drawing these days but here is a pic I drew as a goodbye card for a pair who are moving on from a bad situation to a great situation, and I'm so happy to be wishing them a fond farewell

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

gently caress, you could do fabulous book covers.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

all of these are great, but i really like this

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Hey all, never ventured over here as a hopeless STEMlord with no strong natural creative talents - except, I guess, being a tabletop gamemaster.

I was hunting for an artist because we're nearing the end of a decent sized campaign and had a super cool moment that I'd love to capture - someone from Trad Games pointed me to this thread. I'm very not familiar with how 'getting art made' works - I could definitely provide either a description or super rough sketch of what I'm envisioning. I just would love to immortalize the moment in a way that would hopefully enrich the game and make some of the quieter players want to try more extreme and awesome stuff. I'd love to be able to work it into one of my in-universe newspapers that I make to report on the character's exploits. Have the picture be part of the headline story! For example: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/951708354772877352/989269608496246874/The_Doskvol_Echo_-_Kalivet_56_847.pdf

If anyone is interested, I guess let me know? I googled this but didn't get really satisfactory results and prices were all over the place and I have no reference point for this sort of thing. I am absolutely willing to pay.

Apologies if there's a better place to post this, point me there if so.

Hi! This thread is more of a journalling or workshopping space for artists, but your request would be welcome here, or here. Unfortunately, the actual commission thread is very old and inactive, so I don't fault anyone for not being able to find it!

I'm going to leave this post here, but for anyone lurking this thread, I'd urge you to go one of the places I linked above. Artists, if you have any ideas about how we could drive traffic to other threads, or generally make CC more accessible to artists and seekers of art alike, I'm always keen to hear ideas via PM or the chat thread.

Also that link is a PDF so it sketched me right out when it tried to download what I thought was going to be an image

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I regret being very busy with work!

Reading back--is it worth coming up with some sort of standard way of indicating whether an artist is open to crit or not? Should we assume people don't want crits unless they say so?

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Shinmera posted:

I don't think the issue is on the critique receiver's end. It's more that, whether the criticism applies at all or is useful for the receiver at all depends on factors that the critique giver is likely unaware of. Someone just shooting criticism out without context is not very likely to be helpful, and easily runs the risk of instead being discouraging or annoying. This is why it's good to reserve critique for when people explicitly ask for it, as then they can ask for, and receive, guided advice on a problem they're actually tackling.

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, I agree. If my main issue at any given moment is working on anatomy and then someone goes 'hey your composition here sucks' they have no way of knowing if that's actually any use or not.

Okay! I really don't want to derail the thread with talking about the thread, but I get the sense that these thoughts are representative of a lot of folks' feelings. What I'm hearing is that driveby unsolicited crit isn't helpful and may be an impediment to progress, since, as Hopper pointed out, it doesn't make sense to crit someone on an aspect of their art that they're not working on.

If anyone would like to create a fresh thread with a different set of expectations, they are more than welcome to do so. What I notice is that there is actually a pretty healthy amount of advice in this thread, it's just being exchanged between folks who know each other's art and have been watching each other progress for a while. I don't see a reason to change that! But if you're a lurker, or just an infrequent poster, please do try and read the room a bit before offering advice that isn't actually going to help the artist!

Feel free to PM with any additional thoughts, or you can reach out via discord: sittinghere#6458

kiraeh posted:

I don't post much but maybe I should do it a little more often.

Here are some horsey things that I drew/painted this summer.

I think your use of color is really energetic and jubilant! I love the dynamism in these

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Hello artfriends! Is this same thread still working for everyone? Any opinions on a 2023 title?

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Sitting Here posted:

Hello artfriends! Is this same thread still working for everyone? Any opinions on a 2023 title?

Wow, I posted this and then went into a time capsule of work chaos for a couple weeks. Anyway, I'd absolutely support an inspired thread regular stepping up and making a new thread. It's not as though this one is on fire, but it's something that used to happen yearly if I recall correctly. For now I'll just change the year. I'm also completely open to other feedback via PM or in the chat thread--I know people mostly read out of their bookmarks so apologies for using threads like this to communicate boring mod things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Thank you! See you in the new thread, artfriends :yayclod: