Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

First of the year!

Squirtle.

Bonus ones that I had drawn but not painted (they are not in the list).

e: you got to be kidding me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

syntaxrigger posted:

Yes!! I am here for this.

I got impatient and bought a small watercolor palette. Here is my Squirtle on regular sketch book paper

Nice work, but wrt the art supplies it should be there already as Johnny got his and that was send later.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

lofi posted:

And maybe some other stuff too.

I can still actually tell what the last pic was - the world's most interesting sweet wrapper. I figured I was really enjoying drawing, so why worry about what I was drawing, right? I was totally lost in blind contour drawing, and drawing everything with equal importance, every tiny change in value as important as the outline. I was deeply convinced it was loving amazing. Part of me still is.

Hell yeah! https://www.boredpanda.com/drawings-under-influence-oscar-janiger/

dupersaurus posted:

If you love prompts, Inktober is starting an all-year once-a-week prompt thing. First is on their Instagram, don't know if it's up anywhere else

I hate prompts but they work well for me.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I'm pretty sure the guy that started Inktober has copywritten the phrase, and has started suing artists that are selling their works that they created for Inktober for some sort of copywright infringement.

I already went through a stripped the hashtag from the pieces I made, and I won't be contributing to that bullshit. gently caress that guy.

It seemed he was not clear enough to his lawyers who, as we all know, are paid by the hour so they ran with it.

In good news, I made it to day 2 and drew a bunch of kiwi's

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Keewee!

At first I thought you meant how the panchamp pattern looks like a rude double-dick, but now I think maybe you spotted the Issue with the list. If you haven't spotted it yet, wanna figure out another pokemon for number 9 or 17?
Nice keewee.
I meant that I was really hyped with getting the first reply to the thread only to be beaten by a few seconds while I was downstairs to do some stupid choir my wife made me do, I think it was feeding the kids or something.
But yeah, eh, another pokemon, gee, ehm (quickly, internet, give me a random pokemon!): Relicanth

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Day three!

I am pretty ok with the effort to result ratio on this one.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Angrymog posted:

Of course I should have done a Pokémon as the swimmer. Maybe I'll composite the lemon in?

Keetron, if you're still giving away stuff, I'd love a box of random things if you'll ship to the UK

Yup, have one box left to send, just PM me your address.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Day 4. Guava.

This paper is really sweet, it is khadi rag paper.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

:vince:

(I also like the original drawing!)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I really love the texture, thanks for mentioning the paper so I didn't need to ask. Adds so much to the colourslides. This is a really succesful fruit.

All this months drawing are in: https://khadi.com/shop/hard-back-books-hb5-wr/
Looking at the price it seems steep but with how much I enjoy using it, which is way more than anticipated, it is rather affordable.

Now to get me some Skiddo on that paper, it is already late afternoon!
And a papaya, I have no time to draw tomorrow!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

The Halogens posted:

There's a local artist in my area that makes greeting cards with this exact style and palette. If you wrote "You gotta be skiddin' me!" you could slap that up in her shop and nobody'd be the wiser.
She is making legit money of this?? Tourists I bet, they buy anything.

The Halogens posted:

Posting Drawnuary seems like a good way to hold myself accountable for drawing practice. I haven't drawn anything in about 10 years, but I had an existential crisis around my 29th birthday and don't want to die without making a comic or else all I've done with my life is sell license plates. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing anymore, but any progress is better than not drawing at all! Here are three days' worth of belated posts:

How do you guys find free time to draw during the work week without real life getting in the way? Even doing what little I just did took far longer than I thought.
If this is what you draw after a decade of not drawing, I am looking forward to what you do when you get back into it, that is some serious groovy inking.
And I blame the randomizer for any goatee wearing pokemon, two in a row no less!

I have time after the kids are in bed, the work I do needs to dry a lot in between as the gradients need a ton of water. So I do a layer, wait 20 minutes (play vidya games), do another layer, etc, till done when it is 21:30 and time for my bed. It is my me-time and I found zen in it.

Tomorrows fruit, I have other obligations (a colleague farewell party)

Keetron fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 5, 2020

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

I got mad at my watercolour palette box and impluse bought 3 different ones from eBay. Hopefully I'll actually paint more if I get one I like.

Followup question:

What's the best way to move watercolour paint from a pan to a well on the new palette? Can I just dissolve it in water and pour it in the well or will it not re-solidify properly? I only ask because Daniel Smith ain't cheap.

You fill wells in palettes with tubes, not using pans. You can use a tube a lot more than a pan, like 5 times more. Calculate your value but realize it really dedicates you to watercolor.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

This looked way cooler on the reference pic.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Juice orange!
This took me way to much time and the result is meh.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Day 9, Budew.

For tomorrow, I would like to remind people of https://www.google.com/search?q=luitenant+blueberry

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Angrymog posted:

drat you, ruining my surprise plan :(

I am sorry if this in any deterred you from going all moebius as I am really looking forward to it (which is why I mentioned it)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Here, a blueberry (muffin)...

Something I did while sitting in the city, I loved the contrast between the bricks and the white arches so I failed capturing that. Second image is just the arch in brick color.

Really nice (Daniel Smith Genuine Sodalite).

Ps: seems posting pics on mobile is a drama, will update tomorrow with better pics.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 10, 2020

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Keetron posted:

(lovely pics)

Now with better pics:

Angrymog posted:

Blueberry.

Also an awful tangent that I somehow totally missed when drawing and inking :(

I love this, nice feel to it. Can you tell more about the materials used?
All the talk about the comics made me order them from my local library to read them all once more now I am no longer 9 and can understand what all the fuss is about.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 11, 2020

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Angrymog posted:

ETA: managed to fix it. Bit of acrylic to blank out the line, then redrew and patched up the colour
I seriously have no idea what you are talking about.

Burmy Sandy made me want to draw Bernie Sanders, maybe a day when I have more time.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Fish Noise posted:

see the intersection of the ring on the blueberry and the edge of the rock it's sitting on, and how they form a cross or X? it creates an unintended visual connection and emphasis point. there's all sorts of little visual language* details and rules like this that, while a lot of people will never consciously notice them, can subtly improve or ruin art.

* I myself am not fluent, so most of these things tend to be "once you see it, you can't unsee it" situations.

Ah, I know those things, this is a tangent? English is my second language so today I learned :-)

A week or two ago you come into this thread saying you did not draw for a decade and then you make these stunning things. May I ask *why* you did not draw for all those years?

turns out huckleberries and blueberries are sort of alike. I blame the random fruit generator.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Gissing this pokemon was disturbing.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Mango is where it is at.

These last two are landmark pieces as they are the last two pages of a sketchbook I bought in May last year. It is also the first sketchbook I ever filled (using watercolor no less) and that means the world to me. At age 42, I managed to fill a sketchbook. Why are some seemingly simple things in life so hard?

Keetron fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 14, 2020

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, I hear about artists that fill up a sketchbook every month or two, and that's insane. I tend to finish mine in 15 months? I wish I finished more faster, because the feeling of accomplishment is awesome, and having a neat little book to refer back to to see how I've grown as an artist rules.

Thing is I always get distracted by other, newer, spiffier sketchbooks and the corresponding tools and techniques. Finishing a sketchbook means that I found my preferred way of working with tools I enjoy, considering I enjoyed it long enough to fill all those pages.

Cramorant

Really liked how the cerulean blue behaved, it was a big surprise as I did not use it this extensive before.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

So we're drawing fruit?

Someone mentioned #drawnuary so I made a prompts list based half on fruit and half on pokemon as those are simple things that you can easily do after all the other things are done. My main gripe with #Inktober was that the prompts are vague on purpose but my mind just has trouble with that. Just tell me what to draw and please give me something that is not to complex. I am considering an urban challenge for next month where I will draw something from http://www.mapcrunch.com/ every day or second day.

grapefruit!

Drawing with watercolors is fun, you should all do it more.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 16, 2020

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Relicanth, not my best pokemon.

I need a brushpen that does not bleed on watercolor paper. India ink?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Why is inking after painting for masochists? It would put the ink nicely on top...

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I went with India Ink I had left over from Inktober and that does what I was looking for. However, I did order a bottle of the carbon black because I did not have enough art materials. Oh, I also bought a studio palette (John Pike's) and a few tubes of Daniel Smith and now I am broke. But I can make loverly things.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Lack of nice, solid guidelines when you're doing watercolour is scary.
But then you will get that there will be a subtle colored sheen over the black and sometimes I then feel the urge to go back and ink it again. Might as well do ink last. An example of this is left in the nectarine bottom left, you can see it when opening the pic in another tab and zooming.

#18 nectarine

Keetron fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 18, 2020

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

The Halogens posted:

I think I might switch to it as my primary medium from now on.
:(
Know that I am envious of your effortless scribbly ink lines and working digital with it's cursed undo function will completely make that disappear. Will undo it, if you will.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Nice one, lofi!

#19 Drawnuary

Question: Does the below need a background? It will get some more linework and highlight but I am in doubt about the background

Keetron fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 19, 2020

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

added a background, should have kept it lighter but I think with the shades in the chameleon itself the picture still has a nice flow to it.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

lofi posted:

The wolf/woman is hella cool, it looks like a book cover for a fairytale redone, a retelling of little red riding hood.
By Neil Gaiman or T. Kingfisher!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I want to thank Sharpest Crayon for hinting me towards ink and a simple brush. It is a lot of fun.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

#21 Gastrodon

It was lighter and then I accidentally mixed in some blue and now he is kinda sad. Sort of.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

#22 Apricot

Can Sharpest Crayon please edit "peach" to "grape"? I would like to add some variety and yeah, I know they are small and round but it turns out most fruit is round so sue me.

I'll share my list for February next week.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Cradily, I would like to say the stupidest pokemon but according to the internet it is the female Mr Mime.

OTOH I like his goofiness

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Keetron - all done. Yeah, doing this many fruit has really driven home that all fruit are just a variation of shiny colour-orb. It's no wonder those tide pods look so delicious.
That is also a theme / project: drawing objects from your pantry but I would say that after a few tins of bean variations and boxes of cereals / pasta / flour one could grow sick of it as well.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Or the banana, cucumber, pear, strawberry, raspberry, peppers in all shapes and sizes, etc
Honest, the list was super low effort and now I feel bad for letting the internet randomizer decide. However, if I would have hand picked it would feel worse.
Also, it is just a list of words, you can draw whatever you want!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Tomato!

The sketch was harder than the coloring, this is common.

The Halogens posted:

I for one am grateful for the randomizer list. Without it I might not have even decided to get back into art consistently. I'm a very goal-oriented person and even simple orbs are great practice for me at my level. Next month I might end up making a list for myself even if we do a single prompt. Otherwise I'm sure my output would be relegated to "here are the 20 terrible Loomis heads I've been drawing every day."
For next month I will do European countries, I will post a list over the weekend including what my plan is with it. I think having multiple lists would be awesome, as sometimes I have time for multiple drawings but I am eternal without inspiration.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 24, 2020

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Maractus. She looks like she is jumping out of her pot and I am pleased about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

lofi posted:

I think that may actually be true, tbh.
:stare:

quote:

oh wow, really nice!