Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

There's a local artist in my area that makes greeting cards with this exact style and palette. If you wrote "You gotta be skiddin' me!" you could slap that up in her shop and nobody'd be the wiser.

Posting Drawnuary seems like a good way to hold myself accountable for drawing practice. I haven't drawn anything in about 10 years, but I had an existential crisis around my 29th birthday and don't want to die without making a comic or else all I've done with my life is sell license plates. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing anymore, but any progress is better than not drawing at all! Here are three days' worth of belated posts:

How do you guys find free time to draw during the work week without real life getting in the way? Even doing what little I just did took far longer than I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Everyone's advice all sounds like what I did for NaNoWriMo. Make blocks of time no matter what, sneak in small bits when possible. By hook or by crook, I will paint fruits!

Keetron posted:

She is making legit money of this?? Tourists I bet, they buy anything.

Maybe not legit money, but enough to rent out a little shop for her art. Oddly enough, it is a tourist town.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

lofi posted:

Just a quick one today to relax from a bout of boomer herding.

Boomer herding makes us all go through minor blue periods.

Took me a while to find the kiwi. :ohdear:

Today's offering:

I took a look at the list and promptly forgot guavas and Skiddo. Someday soon I'll have to go back and crank 'em out. Everyone's advice worked out well for time management: No matter what I set myself some uninterrupted time as well as sneaking in washes when I had a spare second while cooking dinner.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Working through a backlog! I'm starting to experiment a bit more, noticing some of my crutches as well as some things I like. I got distracted and confused halfway through the skull. Next week is vacation so I should probably sit down with a sketchbook and do anatomy practice. Loving the diversity of styles and subjects in this thread!

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Keetron posted:

A week or two ago you come into this thread saying you did not draw for a decade and then you make these stunning things. May I ask *why* you did not draw for all those years?

Aw, shucks.

Got myself in a weird headspace with art after I made the decision not to go to art school. "No sense in doing anything now/I can't fail if I don't try/I'd rather drink and play video games," plus depression and anxiety, a drinking problem (sober now), and in general relishing being an unproductive person. In the last year I lost a little over a hundred pounds, won NaNoWriMo, and put some serious work into my marriage. I figured 2020 would be the year that I finally start drawing so I can make a comic by year's end... We'll see about that comic. I'm still getting comfortable making stuff at all, though I'm on the second draft of the script.

This belongs in a burger restaurant.

Now I only have one day to make up. Gotta try using bolder colors, do anatomy practice.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

All caught up.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

I would never want to live in the Pokemon world, if only because things like Lurantis are three feet tall and there are sentient sludge piles.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

What works for me is repeating this until I get off my rear end:

1. You can always play games once art gets done. The games already exist regardless of your art, but not vice versa.

2. If you go to bed having done one unit of art and one unit of game, everything is fine. If you go to bed doing two units of game you'll nag yourself and be disappointed.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Learned an important lesson about water staining today.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Good jorb, Keetron. Livin' the dream. :unsmith:

Brawnfire posted:

Anyhow, speaking of Christmas cards, here's a Tolkien-inspired illustration I did for my mother's Christmas card. I always do a Christmas card illustration for her, it's basically the only way my broke rear end can ever get her a gift.

Feels so cozy to look at.

I did an early grapefruit as well as the best Galarian Pokemon. My poor room lighting absolutely killed the grapefruit's colors, though. There are some deeper reds and purps in there IRL.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Decided to buy Procreate and an Apple Pencil yesterday for our iPad, it’s a hell of a lot of fun, but not what I’m used to. Did Phantump and then watched a few videos, redid it. The results are nothing special but with how versatile Procreate is, I think I might switch to it as my primary medium from now on.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

All of these absolutely slap, even the pieces I didn't quote. I love this thread, there are so many different styles.

Keetron posted:

:(
Know that I am envious of your effortless scribbly ink lines and working digital with it's cursed undo function will completely make that disappear. Will undo it, if you will.

That's what my wife said, too. Based on my experience in the last few days those unsure scribbles have gone by the wayside. I'd like to add them back in as a stylistic choice once I have my fundamentals down. You might like my lime, though yours is far better!

Working ahead a bit.

Tried adding inking lines, then keeping the sketch ones in. The left side of the unlined one bugs the hell out of me and I should've fixed it, but was pressed for time.

I've been watching a bunch of tutorials and advice videos on Youtube. What I want to start doing next is practicing anatomy and character design, figure/gesture drawing, etc. Ideally I want to start "practicing perfectly"/being critical of myself so I can improve as much and as fast as possible. There seems to be a few ways of going about learning this. Some people say breaking down photos or professional pieces (drawing over them to map out the anatomy, then replicating it on your own, overlapping to see where and how you differ) works better for them than learning and practicing anatomy. What're the best practices? Art breakdowns seem too much like skipping steps. My end goal is to make a comic - I'm a big fan of Kill Six Billion Demons and how that art has evolved over time.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Good advice, thank you very much! I like having my cake and eating it too in regards to sketching.

Limeon is the cutest Eeveelution so far.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

The dark, bold colors do a lot for it IMO.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Stuff from the pantry might be cool if you freeze all the cans and bisect them, then paint the cross-section.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Scoss posted:

I've been doing daily 60m or less landscape studies. They're really hard and I suck at it, but that's how I know it's good practice.

Definitely keep at it, I'm interested to see how you progress. 60 minute challenges are great because from what I've been studying, developing speed really hones your skills.

I for one am grateful for the randomizer list. Without it I might not have even decided to get back into art consistently. I'm a very goal-oriented person and even simple orbs are great practice for me at my level. Next month I might end up making a list for myself even if we do a single prompt. Otherwise I'm sure my output would be relegated to "here are the 20 terrible Loomis heads I've been drawing every day."

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Right now I feel equal parts discouraged and hopeful. I totalled up the hours and so far have logged a little over 20 hours on Procreate in the last week. A lot of it has been practice sheets not worth posting, but it's really fun seeing myself become slowly more proficient in anatomy. On the flipside, my Drawnuary submissions are kind of sucking. I redrew Maractus nine times (getting all the way into coloring and shading on four of them) before allowing myself to just give up. The theme for these last few days has definitely been "Halogens needs to learn time management."

Shinmera, that's a really fun loop to watch.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Holy poo poo, there's just no need to flagellate yourself until there's no blood left. There's no art god worth penance like this. Sometimes things don't work out, it's ok to walk away.

Every day brings a new, important lesson!:v:

One attempt for pilepig. Now I can blend gradients.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Passionfruit looks like it tastes like Bawls with the texture of lumpy phlegm. I'm sure it tastes fine, though.

A Berg for the morrow:

I kind of liked the gut and wish there were a cute little adventure game starring a pixellated tubbalo with a beer gut. Kirby doesn't count, he is a gut.

The Halogens fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 29, 2020

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Keetron posted:

@lofi (about the textures) me too! I am so pleased with these paints, I wish them upon everyone!

Today: Bergmite, it is super tiny in my sketchbook and he worked out well

You have been hitting it out of the park with your watercolors lately. This li'l guy is adorable.

This reminds me of my chubby fart of a corgi. You definitely captured the "haha this is the world and I am alive in it" attitude that corgs get.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Drew my dog because I felt like practicing using photo references. Need to get on board with drawing backgrounds.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Keetron posted:

Thank you, your comment and the other compliments from the last few days got me thinking.

I read something over the Christmas holidays that resonated a lot with me. It was about a science experiment where two groups of people were offered pottery classes. One group was told they would be judged on the amount of jugs they would make, the other group was told that the quality of the pots was the most important. As a result, you can imagine, the first group made many more pots than the second. What was less expected, was that the best pots by far were made by the first group as well! Basically, failure is repetition is the most important thing to become good at something. This month, I really grew as a watercolor painter because of the everyday effort, not making a good thing but making a thing. My goal for next month is to keep growing, so I will make sure to paint every day and if I only grow half as much as I did this month, I am happy.

That's been my experience as well. Making art is a lot like exercise. You can go to the gym and see absolutely jacked people tossing around weight you have no hope of lifting, but if you put in the reps every visit you'll find your limits steadily being pushed. The latter half of this month for you has yielded some great pieces. I remember excitedly showing my wife your lime post.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

A recent drawing I did that I forgot to post. Ink on paper. They serve sandwiches? Mediterranean food!

This has a tamer Ralph Steadman air to it. I'd buy a gyro from there. Reminds me of a coffee shop in a nearby city called Outside Coffee. They're a trailer outside. Since it's winter they've installed little igloos for people instead of making a mega-trailer (some would call this a "building").

"I'm not a shadow, I live in the sea of the human heart! I'll pick up Scruffler's turds! From now on, I'm you!" Echoing Flavius, this rules.

For my own contributions, the final two Drawnuary entries with mixed results. Tried some new techniques; very useful practice!

Speaking of useful practice, I mentioned that I've been spending a good chunk of my art time practicing anatomy with the end goal of drawing a comic. Dedicated practice gives pretty good results, especially when I take a look at what I've drawn, figure out what I've done well/wrong, make another attempt with my critique in mind, repeating ad nauseum. I decided to draw one of my main characters. The first one is from January 24th, the second is from February 1st. Neither are anything especially great, but I'm happy with the improvements I've made. Country drawings for this month aren't going so well. Turns out that I have no idea how to draw landscapes! Should be good practice, though. Art feels like Dark Souls right now - the more I fail, the closer I get to my goal.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Is it Figureuary? I think they call it Figureuary.

Haven't posted in a while, been practicing at least 10 hours per week. The prompts made me realize I sucked at landscapes, so I thought I would double down on figures and anatomy, then do perspective and landscapes/interiors... After not making any concrete pieces for about two weeks I decided that I want to actually draw something fun and finish it regardless of how shoddy (read as: "unprepared because I haven't studied/practiced an aspect of it yet") the outcome, so this is what I've come up with:

Been toying with the idea of making a short comic about a cat that tricks kids into killing large birds for him Dark Souls-style.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Hellbeard posted:

Nice heads!

Here's my WIP idk if I can finish it ever but I'm doing my best to come back to it every while. Maybe if I do finish it I will break the drawing funk curse?
Who knows.

Why aren't there any sci-fi procedural crime dramas? Make a bunch of these and pitch a show because it's bound to be better than Bones.

So many fun pieces in the thread to catch up on. I need to cure my internet shyness and :justpost:

In between figure/gesture practice I decided to try refining some character sketches for another one of the main characters for my comic. Rather than focus on getting anything perfect, I set up a reference and gave myself an hour. Really pointed out the things I have to work on and it was a lot of fun.

First landscape painting. Wanted to see what I could do without looking up any techniques or attempt to figure out what the hell I should be doing. Definitely the most relaxed time I've had with digital art thus far. Reference is a picture of Lake Superior I took last year:

Sketch of Large Martin:

This is as far as I got with the piece on my last post before getting bored of it and moving on:

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Flavius Aetass posted:

really want to use my witcher senses to follow that scent

Witchers don't have to wash their hands and have no underlying health conditions so you're uniquely qualified to do so

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

These all make me feel nostalgic. Reminds me of trips up north in the middle of the woods. All my grandpa's property had that same color palette.

Best Nick Cage.

Shinmera posted:

Make some art, you!

Please make more stuff like this. It looks like it's made from paper cutouts and I love it.

Progress pics! Made the woman on March 1st, then Beardo on March 14th. Gave myself an hour for each. Without the time constraint "challenge" I tend to put things off in favor of more figure/head practice. Lots of mistakes, although those are just roadmaps for what to work on next.

Wanted to make something that I didn't strictly need references for so I could work while hanging out with my wife away from my art desk. This is my "canonical" Pokemon team comprised of bozos that usually find their way onto my team in some form or another regardless of the entry in the series.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Shinmera posted:

Tonight was another one of those nights where I'm struggling to do anything cause my brain's burning all of its resources on being envious of other people's art skills.

Oh boy, that's the drain we all circle! If it makes you feel any better, I'm always envious of how direct your work seems. I'm not sure how to get across what I mean, but it's simple, it's pleasing to look at, it gets across emotion and what your characters are about. Your posts are something I always look forward to.

sigma 6 posted:

Crossposted from the Traditional Art thread.

One last burn of Zoben / Eli Quinn's work.

This one took 4 passes but it turned out much better than the last one. Like I said - wood is more forgiving than cardboard.

With wood it is a question of getting the contrast you want. With cardboard it is the same but even a tiny fraction too much will burn holes through.

This belongs on a motorcycle and is hella rad.

Tried a speedpaint of my cat. Instead of giving myself a set time, I started an album and stopped once it finished. Looking back on it I can see where I started drawing symbols rather than what exists in reality.

I think I might draw every Pokemon. Gives me something fun and postable in contrast with my usual two minute figure/head studies. I guess I could post the three Trumps I doodled today after someone mentioned to me that "babies are just anime versions of the president," but nobody really wants to see that.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

smallmouth posted:

I haven't painted for months because I've been depressed as gently caress. This whole virus thing isn't helping. I decided to go dark on news yesterday for my health and I was able to paint!

Really digging this. I love the subtle green in the shadows.

Xanderkish posted:

I want these buds to be my friend.

Meanwhile, I'm working on hands for a project of mine. I think I got the dimensions and posture right. This is the first time I divided a hand into more layers than just "Hand" and "Shading for hand." I had a layer for the thumb, for the hand, fore, and middle finger, and for the back fingers, in addition to shading, so I could more easily adjust their sizes and position without having to redraw the whole thing. I think as my drawing skill develops, I'm doing more decomposing the images down into their component parts. Not sure if that's the norm for most artists or just one sort of style of drawing, but it makes it easier for me.

What I've found is useful on my end is to break things down into larger shapes rather than discrete pieces of anatomy. I'll have a generic layer for the refined sketch of the entire hand, then in the case of your hand there, I'd group the index and middle fingers together, the back of the hand, then the thumb and ring finger might have their own layers. Depending on your program you could also freehand select individual portions of the hand and then use a transform tool to adjust the selection, which might be the easiest option. For shading maybe break it down into a layer for hard shadows, then one for soft shadows? Still new to it myself, but that's what's helped me.

This next bit isn't at all what you asked about, but it looks like you're petting your lines a lot. Making more discrete, intentional lines goes a long way toward learning how something is constructed because you're making a conscious decision of "yes this goes here" versus "I know it's supposed to look like this so I'm going to get in the ballpark." It's made a world of difference in my own practice, although it feels scary because when you mess up, you'll definitely notice it.

==

Made an attempt at eggs benedict. Slowly getting used to painting real things.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Xanderkish posted:

But by god, do hands have a lot of shapes.

I'm dreading "moving on" to hand and perspective practice because I'm choosing to focus on portraits and figures right now. I'm taking the "break it down" approach to learning to draw and paint and I can see what you're going through rearing its ugly head, leering at me over the horizon. Art seems to be a lot like playing League of Legends or DotA or something in that you're going to spend a few hours probably having a bad time in service of some very high highs.

There's a fifty heads in ten days challenge floating around Youtube and Pinterest. It seems doable if you don't spend multiple hours on each subject.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

sigma 6 posted:

So good! How do I learn to paint like this?

Seconding this request. Your portraits are incredible. And I agree with HopperUK, this page is probably my favorite so far.

a hole-y ghost posted:

tried to be less lazy and draw something

The palm eye is somehow manages to be the least sinister eye in the picture.

==

Decided to color some quick portrait studies. Mixed results! Trying to work on likeness. Some of them turned out decently. Most were better as sketches.

Shelter-in-place in Michigan means drawing every Pokemon has some momentum to it now.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

HopperUK posted:

I have enjoyed using a glass dip pen with india ink but it's a bit of a learning curve and I dunno how it'd go over coloured pencils.

Here's today's doodle - my best Animal Crossing friend so far. We exchange clothes a lot.

AC squirrels are the best because they don't get into your siding all the time, prompting a live trapping scheme wherein you release your hapless captive at the local park. It's a pain in the rear end, but is morally preferable to what dad does with them. This is most likely a felony in the Animal Crossing universe.

Caterpie people. Caterpieple.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Decided to do a mockup of another character from the comic I want to do about gig economy superheroes. It's very strange to go from writing about a character to finally being able to make a more-or-less accurate draft of them, even if they're basically an homage to Metal Gear.

Argue posted:

Did an art meme, tried to do different styles for each

I had to research this Zuko fellow and found a live action movie by M Night Shyamalan that I'm assuming was the original source for the character, so I based the first one on that

That's definitely an interesting meme and you nailed the feel of those characters (at least the ones I'm familiar with).

my buddy Superfly posted:

Hi, I'm not gonna draw dogs for a month.

Are you sure you're spiritually prepared for that?

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like I should have posted a cat because of the previous two posts. We could have had a cat hat trick. A cat trick.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

I wanna pet that bee.

Got carried away and did a second round of this because I can be easily guilted into drawing more.

Made an Odin.

I'm not 100% sure what's going on here, but I love the color scheme. Seems quite fetal!

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Where are the six characters coming from? Do you choose six or are they meant to be assigned to you?

Assigned. I posted the blank template on Facebook and Instagram and asked friends what they wanted to see.

This is the cutest drat thing

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

The graffiti on the building takes it to the next level of believeability. Someone lived there, someone passed through, someone marked their territory. It's so hard to nail down a sense of place and you did it.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Been playing a lot of Sekiro and eating a lot of pizza lately.

Something off about her head. Not sure what.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

This is great, you should feel great for making it.

ACNH's best power couple influencers deserve all our love and support.

Shinmera posted:

I think her left eye is a bit too close to her nose. Moving it a bit further apart should help.

TheMostFrench posted:

Giant pizza cutter and pizza demon, love it :D

I feel like the right eye (viewers right) is a bit too big - the pupil and iris specifically seem a bit too large, like they are bulging in comparison to the left.

Thanks for compliments and advice. You guys were both right after doing some fiddling with the piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Sorry to triple-dip here, but I would've gone with "mouth a bit too much to the (viewers) left". Which, I think it wouldn't be, if the lip-bow-crease under the nose slanted to the left. I'd prolly lift the mouth a bit while nudging it to the right, but that might be personal preference. Either way, I love her headdress and scarf!

Don't be sorry at all, I'll gobble up all the advice I can. Thank you!

Cory Parsnipson posted:

I call this one "The Struggle".

We all know this struggle - Ray Romano the Cat disparages everyone.

I drew a fanart for a youtube series and then also made a bunny for my niece's birthday.

What series is this? Giant wood robot looks boss as hell.