Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
First drawing of 2020, another nude study for practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I'll play along for one round.

New ink brush pen. I probably should have let it dry for five more minutes before I added the watercolor, but it looks like it'll bleed a little with water no matter what.

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

Here's my first submission for drawnuary! A very weird squirtle.

I had a similar idea at first, but you executed it way better than I would! Great job!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure the guy that started Inktober has copywritten the phrase, and has started suing artists that are selling their works that they created for Inktober for some sort of copywright infringement.

I already went through a stripped the hashtag from the pieces I made, and I won't be contributing to that bullshit. gently caress that guy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Trying to hold myself accountable, even if the finished product isn't the best....

Practice portrait of comedian Lauren Lapkus, who is very pretty. My portrait is not as flattering as I'd hoped. I purposefully broke the "no teeth" rule of portraits, because they'll always look bad if I don't practice.

This was 90ish minutes? How do people make hair look good without spending hours on it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Deals with the devil. It's kinda like fur, it's all about the notes you don't play. You're actually not far from target here, hair's easiest to depict as a big mass that you then separate a couple of individual strands from. You've got the mass down, you just need to draw on a couple of swooshy strands where some clumps settle.

Thank you for this specific advice. Will experiment with it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

These last two are landmark pieces as they are the last two pages of a sketchbook I bought in May last year. It is also the first sketchbook I ever filled (using watercolor no less) and that means the world to me. At age 42, I managed to fill a sketchbook. Why are some seemingly simple things in life so hard?

Yeah, I hear about artists that fill up a sketchbook every month or two, and that's insane. I tend to finish mine in 15 months? I wish I finished more faster, because the feeling of accomplishment is awesome, and having a neat little book to refer back to to see how I've grown as an artist rules.

I got my box from you, by the way. Haven't had time to really use them on a piece, but I'm very excited to try them all out! Thank you again.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I watched Friday the 13th Part 2 tonight.

Paper is 7” x 10”, mixed media but mainly watercolors

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Another mixed media watercolor painting on paper

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

This is very expressive!

Thank you! That’s awesome to hear

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A recent drawing I did that I forgot to post. Ink on paper. They serve sandwiches? Mediterranean food!

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 2, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

The castles are really good!

Greece:

What notebook are you using now? That paper looks good.

Your drawings have been excellent lately!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
'Nother one for the books. Worked this for over two days before I was satisfied with it.

(mostly) Watercolors, (with a lil) Gouache, Ink on paper

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ink on paper

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Carth Dookie posted:

Attention Keetron, my paper and Holbein paints arrived today. :frogsiren:

The pad is a fatty. I like the size at first glance and I didn't expect the edges to be rough, but I think I like that too. I like the feel of it. I like that it's spiral bound. We'll see how I like it when I actually paint on it though but I'm hopeful this will be my new kit for out and about painting. Maybe.

Also I bought a bunch of DaVinci casaneo brushes because I like the DaVinci squirrel brushes I have but I want something that holds a point better and I saw some favorable YouTube videos. Also mainly because I have zero loving impulse control. :homebrew: :cripes:

Jealous. Can't see what you do with it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Carth Dookie posted:

I'm no mathematician, what's 17% better than 0?

A good start! Get to work!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gouache on paper, from a loose sketch. From my sketchbook, so the paper's kinda lovely. Mainly did it as a color study, and to practice vehicles. I like it!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

lofi posted:

That looks really good! I've never tried to Bob, I should give it a shot at some point. Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHmHgvE6mMQ

That's a very funny video. Thank you

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Medenmath posted:

I like it!

By request:

Technically this is acrylic gouache, not watercolor. Not really sure how I'm supposed to use this but diluting it and pretending it was normal watercolor seemed to go okay. I need more sizes of brushes is the main lesson I learned today.

It depends on the gouache. Holbein Acryla gouache needs to be a bit thicker than traditional watercolor, in what I've had described as "creamy", because it has acryl resin binder. Reeves gouache seems to be a step closer to watercolor, so it can be applied thinner. Different papers also affect this, I've noticed.

It looks good! I think you got it right.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

Croatia

Not overly pleased, I'll be moving away from daily delivery and into "daily painting but put more effort in" for next month

I feel like my last few pieces have turned out better for this. I get to a stopping point where it's "finished", but I will force myself to wait a day before scanning & uploading it. Every time I come back to it, I find one or two things to adjust that really help it.

Haven't had anything to show because of that. Everything's either in pencil stage or half-way painted.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

I usually have multiple concurrent works at various different stages just so I don't go mistake-blind. It's enormously helpful to get to the point of tedium on one drawing and just switch over to another one instead of rush-jobbing it.

I'm also learning animation right now, so I've been concentrating on digital art. Which is really weird, since the last few years of my life have been exclusively watercolor, ink, gouache and acrylic. I didn't expect the learning curve between physical media and digital media to be such a wide gap for me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I needed to flex some art muscles, so I went out and did to some ink-to-paper drawings.

Used a brush pen and a .2 pen.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mixed media. First layer was watercolor, but I did gouache for some more consistency, and ink as well.

I wanted to do something with a lot of details. Turns out that's easier with a larger work space! (This is a small portable watercolor pad.)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gouache on mixed media paper (8"x11"), from a reference photo.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Daniel Smith watercolors. Yay or nay?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

You rule. Thank you.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Nude study in gouache, 11" x 14" paper.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've mainly been posting stuff to ArtStation and not in here. But I did this last night in my sketchbook.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Little something from my sketchbook.

dog nougat posted:

Just about finished with this!! Just need to rework the purple gradient a little bit and get a paint guide for the borders. The line work around the lettering isn't photographing well for some reason, but it doesn't look as blown out in person :shrug:

This rules.

NAG posted:

Some OG Evil Dead

Love this!

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 10, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013