Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

LazyQ posted:

Yes, Sulo saw a man beat his horse and killed him in a drunken rage. There's a strip much, much later where he talks about it and how he did time in prison.

Thanks for the explanation. The comic's been pretty interesting, so I look forward to how they handle that.

I hate OBH a lot, but these strips where Ruthie interrupts her parents' sleep for some completely pointless bullshit is just the worst. She even woke up her dog to go with her, the little poo poo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

how 'bout with our new tracy character?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Merry Christmas, Conan Dec. 25th, 1978- Dec. 31st, 1978

And special guest, Yag-kosha! I've mentioned him before, that's a pretty accurate depiction.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze oh god shut up.

I looked up Dr. Raj to try to see who this Carl Sagan looking guy was, but it's no use.

Additionally:

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 26, 2020

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I am all for a story arc of the Phantom running naked through the woods as he hallucinates.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Classic Fingerpori

Not nsfw'ing, because that's a funny butt and not a sexy butt.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

This rules.

The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm This strip's been surprisingly on point lately, huh?

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders I get a kick out of how this entire city seems to talk in nothing but similes. Also, that final panel is really loving sad.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

FrumpleOrz posted:

Ella Cinders I get a kick out of how this entire city seems to talk in nothing but similes. Also, that final panel is really loving sad.

For reference a kleagle was a title for a recruiting officer in the KKK. Rather than try to seek out disaffected single individuals, KKK recruitment in the early 20th century depended on scooping up "blocs," incorporating pre-existing bodies of people in order to leverage bonds of secrecy and complicity that already existed in, say, church men's groups or fraternal lodges-- so the synagogue joke is contrasting the obvious antipathy between KKK guys and Jewish people with the fact that just rolling into a religious gathering to fish for recruits was the meat and potatoes of kleagle tactics. Rough chuckles, Ella.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

FrumpleOrz posted:

This rules.

The Lockhorns

time for the lockhorns to go for the eisner

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 04, 1939)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I want some HUN stamps.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Plague-Era Party Ideas From The Forth Family

A Rickety Runaway Wagon...But Enough About The Depression (December 17 and 19, 1932)

Charles Schulz's Guide To Ending A Storyline On A Monday (May 28-29, 1973)

Killing Time With Stacks Of Shellac And The Hopes That You Don't Notice Our Weak Punchlines

Uncle Internet's tip for the day: Just because a record is obscure doesn't make it a lost masterpiece (even if it does have a dirty A-side that TomBat's too coy to mention). Do yourself a favor and put on some Fats Waller instead.

More Moldy Gags About Book Signings (Except Without Les Moore This Time)

Another Interchangeable 9CL Couple Who Are Constantly Horny

The Haywire Family Reunion

Merry Christmas 1936! Read On As Popeye and The Oyls Ignore It Like Unwashed Heathens! (December 24-25, 1936)

Out Our Way (July 16-18, 1934)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 27, 2020

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Aren't ipods less relevant than record players at this point too?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

FrumpleOrz posted:

Aren't ipods less relevant than record players at this point too?

To be fair Crankshank is set 10 years in the past from today, in the far away decade of 2020, while Funky Winkerbean is set 10 years in the future, in the distant future of 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Calaveron posted:

To be fair Crankshank is set 10 years in the past from today, in the far away decade of 2020, while Funky Winkerbean is set 10 years in the future, in the distant future of 2020

Crankshank. I like that.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Who the gently caress are these new horny idiots in 9 Chickweed Lane. Who left the door open.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Forget about ever having had sex, I don't believe Brooke McEldowney has ever even met a woman. I don't care how many alleged daughters you all pull out of the woodwork.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Hostile V posted:

Who the gently caress are these new horny idiots in 9 Chickweed Lane. Who left the door open.

The Keypad Kids

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Julet Esqu posted:

Forget about ever having had sex, I don't believe Brooke McEldowney has ever even met a woman. I don't care how many alleged daughters you all pull out of the woodwork.

The interview with his daughter suggests parthenogenesis.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

How Wonderful! posted:

The Keypad Kids

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hostile V posted:

I think those are Edda's parents, of "they had sex under the table at a public restaurant but if you think it was actually sex you're actually the pervert, reader" fame.

The Dinette Set gets off on the wrong foot.

Working Daze is just going to be floating squares with faces from now I, I guess.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix demonstrates the difference between science and religion.

Cul De Sac shows why you never give anything nice to stupid bucket-head Kevin. :mad:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think those are Edda's parents, of "they had sex under the table at a public restaurant but if you think it was actually sex you're actually the pervert, reader" fame.

I thought that was the former nun and former priest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (July 16-18, 1934)

I grew up in terrain like that. Keeps ya sure-footed.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

EasyEW posted:

The Haywire Family Reunion

I can't believe I'm asking a plot question about Rip Haywire of all things, but what baby is that? Baby fireball had red hair, didn't she?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Sundae posted:

I can't believe I'm asking a plot question about Rip Haywire of all things, but what baby is that? Baby fireball had red hair, didn't she?

if the sopapilla whitewashing is any indication i don't think the colorist is paying much attention

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Sorry for the delay (assuming anyone is reading these comics)

Jim's Journal

Heart Of The City

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

BigDave posted:

Heart Of The City

This is so close to having me like it but there's something missing. I can't put my finger on it. I hope the new author figures it out soon. I do rather like that first panel.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FrumpleOrz posted:

This is so close to having me like it but there's something missing. I can't put my finger on it.

Humour? Plot? Recognisable characters? Any of those would help.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

FrumpleOrz posted:

This is so close to having me like it but there's something missing. I can't put my finger on it. I hope the new author figures it out soon. I do rather like that first panel.

That's part of the reason why I'm posting it, the author really deserves a chance.

And I kinda like the art. :kiddo:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Hey there are recognizable ones! There's....blue shirt? And the non-white POC girl. And the main character who is probably one of the talking ones in thir strip.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I think the art is cute and my hunch is that it's occasionally a little rushed or sparse looking because the artist is still getting a hang out of doing a daily strip.

Anyway!
Dykes to Watch Out For #62 (1989)

Adding antiobiotics to livestock feed to accelerate growth and cut down on feed supplement costs took off in the US in the 1950s, coinciding with post-war demand for previously expensive and rationed meat as well as a corresponding growth in the scale and volume of many farms' production, and only began to receive major pushback in the late 60s and early 70s, when studies began to suggest that eating meat raised on antiobiotics could lead to antibiotic resistance in humans. Don't ask me, I'm a vegetarian.

Irradiation produce was introduced as a way to extend the shelf-life of various fruits and veggies, reduce the risk of food-borne bacteria, and get rid of pests, and similarly really took off in earnest during and after WWII.

Both of these are associated here with the imposing image of the corporate supermarket, in contrast to the co-ops that the characters go to more often. Food stuff is a pretty prevalent thing throughout DtWOF, presumably because there was a great deal of overlap between queer activism, progressive concern about factory farming and labor issues, and a "crunchy granola," to quote my in-laws, interest in organic food, vegetarian or vegan diets, etc..

The fresh fig reminds Harriet of the human vulva, which you can learn more about in 9 Chickweed Lane

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 27, 2020

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

FrumpleOrz posted:

It's a mixed bag, both artwise and storywise. But the strengths seem unusual and ambitious, and they make me really want to give it a chance, while the weaknesses seem more technical issues that might improve as the strip goes on. Roughly, both art and story create a sense of a world to me in spite of weak execution. There's a 3D sense to the art which is very rare in more cartoony styles, and the storyline seems like it's really in a middle school, not just a sham backdrop for jokes. So for now I'm overlooking the blobbish figures and herky-jerky storyline.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

How Wonderful! posted:

I think the art is cute and my hunch is that it's occasionally a little rushed or sparse looking because the artist is still getting a hang out of doing a daily strip.
Anyway!
Dykes to Watch Out For #62 (1989)

The fresh fig reminds LoisHarriet of the human vulva, which you can learn more about in 9 Chickweed Lane
OMG, 9 Chickweed is the last place I'd like to learn about that. :zombie:

Another "why would Bechdel drop this one?" strip. A killer mid-strip punchline, about the "rough number with the zucchini", some cute character notes on Mo and Harriet, classic Bechdel side jokes like "We're open INCESSANTLY!", and a nice evocation of the feel of a big supermarket. And there's a strong message here, less relevant today than then, but with real punch for those of us who lived in those times.

In the background in that Bechdel draws *four* different presumably heterosexual couples displaying affectionate physical contact, which for gays and lesbians of the time reinforced the feeling of being surrounded by normal healthy affection we were afraid to engage in. It was, actually, a big deal to engage in any kind of public affection at the time and Mo was pretty on target for what we would get, although not every time and not quite as bad as she makes out.The fear was real and meaningful and what Harriet was pushing for (getting more than she bargained for) was a real act of bravery, not just overcoming personal hangups. The strip really brings back the feeling of needing to hold back coupled with the craving for ordinary human interactions we all deserve to have.

On an art note, I'm tickled by how well Bechdel conveys Harriet being totally shocked in the last panel, with half her face obscured.

curtadams fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 27, 2020

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Tiggum posted:

I know it's not great and it has a lot of problems but I feel like I want to yell at it like some gardener yelling at a seed to grow even if they know it won't do any good. It's got something there, drat it!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

How Wonderful! posted:

The fresh fig reminds Lois of the human vulva, which you can learn more about in 9 Chickweed Lane

That's a low hanging fig

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

curtadams posted:

Another "why would Bechdel drop this one?" strip. A killer mid-strip punchline, about the "rough number with the zucchini", some cute character notes on Mo and Harriet, classic Bechdel side jokes like "We're open INCESSANTLY!", and a nice evocation of the feel of a big supermarket. And there's a strong message here, less relevant today than then, but with real punch for those of us who lived in those times.

In the background in that Bechdel draws *four* different presumably heterosexual couples displaying affectionate physical contact, which for gays and lesbians of the time reinforced the feeling of being surrounded by normal healthy affection we were afraid to engage in. It was, actually, a big deal to engage in any kind of public affection at the time and Mo was pretty on target for what we would get, although not every time and not quite as bad as she makes out.The fear was real and meaningful and what Harriet was pushing for (getting more than she bargained for) was a real act of bravery, not just overcoming personal hangups. The strip really brings back the feeling of needing to hold back coupled with the craving for ordinary human interactions we all deserve to have.

On an art note, I'm tickled by how well Bechdel conveys Harriet being totally shocked in the last panel, with half her face obscured.

Yeah, I think this is a fantastic one, one of many really strong Harriet strips that got chopped. I think you mentioned a few strips ago how much Bechdel is finding a groove at around this point, and it's so true. Harriet's body language in particular is really charming and well conveyed and I love love love the two vertical panels of Mo looking around warily at the end.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

How Wonderful! posted:

The fresh fig reminds Lois of the human vulva, which you can learn more about in 9 Chickweed Lane

fondue posted:

B Kliban