Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I'm glad everybody was super concerned about Pure TJ's precious pennies at the hands of the nefarious and scheming Shannon at the beginning of the week.

Also lots of couples with kids have both parents working. Even firefighters. If you really want kids, you make it work. If you don't want kids (Toni) you come out with it and say you don't want kids. Preferrably before you get married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 25, 2022

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set doesn't want to waste time.

Working Daze oh lord now what.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix roll on snare drum. Everybody laugh. Curtains.

Cul De Sac is a scene of carnage!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Man, I miss Richard Thompson.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

I'm glad everybody was super concerned about Pure TJ's precious pennies at the hands of the nefarious and scheming Shannon at the beginning of the week.

Also lots of couples with kids have both parents working. Even firefighters. If you really want kids, you make it work. If you don't want kids (Toni) you come out with it and say you don't want kids. Preferrably before you get married.

Calling it now, adopting Shannon is Brad and Toni's compromise.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Just gonna leave that lumber out in the rain, in the mud, eh?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Turns out that the air in the forest is 0.02 percent opium.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Just wait until the woods get bought out and bulldozed by a real estate developer, and we get The WalMart That Makes Men Mad.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Green Intern posted:

Why was he so mad about the swing? Is it something related to the zoning plan? I felt his utter despair in that silhouetted panel.

"We're going to be evicted because of the zoning plan. I'm going to lose my lovely swing. Someone else is going to get my land, and my swing. gently caress THAT!"

(Part of the humor being that if the home was demolished to make room for a new road, the swing would go too.)

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

Turns out that the air in the forest is 0.02 percent opium.

This is actually a plot point in The Magicians

Which I guess you may be referencing

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Powered Descent posted:

Just wait until the woods get bought out and bulldozed by a real estate developer, and we get The WalMart That Makes Men Mad.
:lol:

Out of nowhere after 3 months, a new Popeye's Cartoon Club

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Bloop posted:

This is actually a plot point in The Magicians

Which I guess you may be referencing
That is indeed the joke.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

RandomPauI posted:

Calling it now, adopting Shannon is Brad and Toni's compromise.

Sounds likely, since that would mean they don’t have to have......grown up hugging.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I have been so glad to see that The Far Side is every bit as good as I remember it.

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 18, 1939)

Green Intern posted:

I’m having the same supply and logistics questions as others. Leaving aside how this castle without any surrounding farms can survive weeks of isolation, The Huns should just leave this castle alone. They’re likely starving themselves to death trying to keep the siege going. Pre-railroad armies basically need to move and forage to not evaporate from hunger.

goatface posted:

"Do not attack walled cities" is a really good idea, but not one people like to follow. Starving your sieging force into a stretched line that can be broken by a sallying defender is a classic outcome. They're big fans of traditional warfare.

The story suggests that the Huns have all the supplies they need, but in a real siege all of the food within dozens of miles might well have been moved inside the castle already. Anyway, as far as the story goes, the Huns here are supposed to be an immediate deadly threat and they might not seem very imposing if they were content to just sit down and wait it out. Or at least that would be a slower and very different sort of threat. The Huns simply leaving the castle alone means the soldiers inside can come bother them in the future, so that's a security risk.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Conan the Barbarian fucks around with a demon-haunted city despite being told it's a bad idea Jan. 8th, 1979- Jan. 14th, 1979

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Medenmath posted:

The story suggests that the Huns have all the supplies they need, but in a real siege all of the food within dozens of miles might well have been moved inside the castle already. Anyway, as far as the story goes, the Huns here are supposed to be an immediate deadly threat and they might not seem very imposing if they were content to just sit down and wait it out. Or at least that would be a slower and very different sort of threat. The Huns simply leaving the castle alone means the soldiers inside can come bother them in the future, so that's a security risk.

Yeah but on the other hand, not all the Huns need to be there. If there's an unconquerable castle, a smart commander would just plop enough troops at the place to keep the siege going so the defenders can't leave, and have the rest of their army move on.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
Classic Chickweed

Jane's World

Jucika

Classic Luan

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Google translate (and possibly some copy errors by me):
"There is fog, the road is slipping, take care of your physical integrity."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

big mood

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

BigDave posted:

Heart Of The City

Good lord, those first-panel faces.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

I recall reading that Larson recieved quite a lot of criticism about this one from parents when it ran in the paper. It owns though, the look on the witch's face is priceless.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ukonvasara posted:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Love it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

ukonvasara posted:

Hey, could be worse. Like mouths by JRose:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I got too caught up on other stuff to do DtWOF yesterday so I'll catch up with two tonight. Meanwhile I got this in the mail, to replace a copy I lost:

There's a lot of really cool odds and ends in this, I'm not sure how I want to pace them out exactly but in many cases the year each thing is from is noted so going roughly chronologically might work just fine. Bechdel also has a ton of commentary in it, which I super recommend to DtWOF fans but which I'll probably pass over in silence unless it really seems germane.

Dykes to Watch Out For #63 (1989)

We'll see a little bit more of Lois hairstylist through the years. Is the double appearance of Emma herself as well as the other gossiping woman mirroring Lois' woes a little much? It's a little melodramatic but I think Bechdel recognizes by this point the appeal of the soap-opera form in doing a long-running serial comic strip, and is more than happy to trade a little bit of verisimilitude for the sake of satisfying drama and irony.

A few other tiny things of note:
-This strip has not one but two speaking men. Neither of them are an especially big deal although I think the bald hairstylist shows up a few times in the future. The stereotype of the aloof gay hairdresser was well-established by the late 80s-- I don't know a really satisfying starting point for that trope but I've seen it pop up in stuff from the mid-60s.
-Troll dolls were patented in 1959 and became a huge toy trend in the US in the early 60s. In 1989 they were in the midst of a quasi-kitsch resurgence which lasted for awhile-- I definitely remember them being kind of an ironized but ubiquitous toy as a young kid in the early 90s.

#64 (1989)

Bechdel here eerily foreshadows the "none pizza left beef" meme in panel three. I think Curtadams is right in that the Emma subplot is really solid and drawn out in a compelling way-- we've had enough time to dwell on it and to put some distance between Lois' stance in the Clarice/Toni thing that Lois' ambivalence about non-monogamy here is both a little bit of a surprise and also an honest feeling character moment.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

computer angel posted:

I recall reading that Larson recieved quite a lot of criticism about this one from parents when it ran in the paper. It owns though, the look on the witch's face is priceless.

It’s hilarious. She looks like she did her best NOT to gobble them up and still...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

computer angel posted:

The weirdest thing about reading commentated comic collections as a kid was how little it took to get complaints, no matter what comic it was.

I get that the people who would care enough to write to a paper to complain is a self-selecting group, but I still can't understand the mindset that would be offended by a 'fairytale witch ate children offscreen' joke.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Haifisch posted:

The weirdest thing about reading commentated comic collections as a kid was how little it took to get complaints, no matter what comic it was.

I get that the people who would care enough to write to a paper to complain is a self-selecting group, but I still can't understand the mindset that would be offended by a 'fairytale witch ate children offscreen' joke.
I mean, that still goes on today. There were people upset at the idea of a comic called "Heavenly Nostrils", for gently caress's sake.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Green Intern posted:

Just gonna leave that lumber out in the rain, in the mud, eh?

He delivered it, so it's no longer his problem.

Johnny Walker posted:

:lol:

Out of nowhere after 3 months, a new Popeye's Cartoon Club

Ouch

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/27/00

This one deserves a bit of an explanation. Charles Schulz was scheduled to get a Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Cartoonists Society on May 27, 2000, so NCS president Mike Luckovich coordinated with a bunch of strip artists to put Peanuts references in their strips for that day. And, of course, Schulz passed away before he could receive the award, which makes the tributes a little bittersweet. (I think there may be a bit of self-deprecating humor here as well, because Get Fuzzy, as a popular new strip, did end up taking Peanuts's space in some papers.)

You can see the other May 27 tribute strips here, including some efforts by thread favorites and less-than-favorites.

Brenda Starr 1/5/41

Flurry Snow? Larry Nickels? Yeah, Messick likes quirky names. Maybe she's making up for Tom Taylor.

I also like the tiny sawing-log balloon on the edge of the last panel.

Another great pickup technique! Wait for her to fall in a snow-covered bush and then ogle her legs before helping her out.

Smokey Stover 8/11/35

Bonus Ad!

Mr. Coffee Nerves starred in a long-running series of ads for caffeine-free coffeelike thing Postum. This is one of the early ones -- later on, he traded his top hat and dickey in for a spacesuit and jet pack so he could stay relevant in the high-tech mid-20th century.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

How Wonderful! posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For
#64 (1989)

Bechdel here eerily foreshadows the "none pizza left beef" meme in panel three. I think Curtadams is right in that the Emma subplot is really solid and drawn out in a compelling way-- we've had enough time to dwell on it and to put some distance between Lois' stance in the Clarice/Toni thing that Lois' ambivalence about non-monogamy here is both a little bit of a surprise and also an honest feeling character moment.
Yeah, the Indelible Bechdel is great. There's a whole chapter on how she writes and plots DTWOF (basically, sketchily) and some great autobiographical stuff too.

The cuts in Essential really detract from the irony in "it's not like I was waiting around" because in syndication readers watched Lois wait for four months to find out what happened with Emma. There's no way to do the real world wait in a collection, of course, but at least the dropped Milkweed strips show Lois is putting on a face here. With the Essential cuts you could almost take that line at face value.

Once again the big punchline is mid-strip, and once again Bechdel hits a tone which doesn't make it into comics much although it's a very genuine and common tone in reality. Real people frequently use snarky comments like "am I invited to the wedding" when hurt or as part of an argument, but in comics it's almost always delivered with a smirk, as just a jest (looking at you, FW).

Bechdel conveys emotions very well, especially considering her fairly stylized drawings. Emma really looks remorseful when she says she's sorry she never called - although the plot of the strip indicates that's almost as insincere as Lois' chipper face when replying. That's another real world scenario you almost never see in comics - people convincingly faking emotions. When they do in most comics, there's usually an immediate admission to another character or the audience that they're faking it. IRL self-misrepresentation is often part of the social dance; the fact that Bechdel can and does show it adds a lot of depth to her characters. Emma in particular here seems to be hitting all the right emotional notes to convince Lois to go along with her plan - the concerned denial when Lois first expresses her hurt, the seductive leer when she sells her offer - and my take on her is that she's a master manipulator. She's like that in some later strips too, but Bechdel never comes out and says it, so we're left wondering how much of all this is an act and how much is sincere - just like dealing with these manipulative types in real life, unfortunately. :raise:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Yeah, because 6-year-olds tell their mom they have sexy legs to cheer them up. Brooke seems like he's able to hide his grossness in classic 9CL, but then you get poo poo like this to remind you it's always been there the whole time.

Getting the wrong ideas, judging their patient harshly, giving up on them when they get pissed... It's like a preview of what Bernice's stint as a therapist would be like.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

amigolupus posted:

Yeah, because 6-year-olds tell their mom they have sexy legs to cheer them up. Brooke seems like he's able to hide his grossness in classic 9CL, but then you get poo poo like this to remind you it's always been there the whole time.

Also the one where she tells Amos (paraphrasing) that they won't be a couple later in life because she doesn't think he would ever "bring her to rapture" :wtc:

My issue with the faces in Heart of the City are the goddamn noses, especially the rectangular ones.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I get the vibe that Eddas's parents behaved inappropriately towards her in a way that wouldn't result in a visit from CPS, but maybe it should have?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Professor Wayne posted:

“Now let me get this straight. … We hired you to babysit the kids, and instead you cooked and ate them both?”

I hate to be a nit picker, but the punch line on this is the italics on "both" - "you cooked and ate them both?"

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 25, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Selachian posted:

This one deserves a bit of an explanation. Charles Schulz was scheduled to get a Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Cartoonists Society on May 27, 2000, so NCS president Mike Luckovich coordinated with a bunch of strip artists to put Peanuts references in their strips for that day. And, of course, Schulz passed away before he could receive the award, which makes the tributes a little bittersweet. (I think there may be a bit of self-deprecating humor here as well, because Get Fuzzy, as a popular new strip, did end up taking Peanuts's space in some papers.)

You can see the other May 27 tribute strips here, including some efforts by thread favorites and less-than-favorites.

The Norm's "Will you all be here tomorrow?" "Sure, stop by any time." stings a bit.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set supports its country.

Working Daze lets you take your pick for "worst phrase". Personally, my pick would be "something between R. Crumb and The Jetsons".

Super-Fun-Pak Comix might have been on its lunch break.

Cul De Sac is a bad seed.

God, Richard Thompson was so good at expressions.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

cool dad.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak Comix might have been on its lunch break.

More great references.