Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what's a little attempted robbery and murder between bros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 23, 1939)

Comic Strip Megathread 2020: Val is Calmly Drowning Him

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Powered Descent posted:

Comic Strip Megathread 2020: Val is Calmly Drowning Him

Mods, please :allears:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm not sure whether I love or hate what a murderous lunatic Prince Valiant is. I mean, I'm pretty sure I love it, but I'm having a hard time expressing what makes it different from all the murderous lunatics I hate like Dick Tracy and the Phantom.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not sure whether I love or hate what a murderous lunatic Prince Valiant is. I mean, I'm pretty sure I love it, but I'm having a hard time expressing what makes it different from all the murderous lunatics I hate like Dick Tracy and the Phantom.

He's era and theme appropriate, his enemies aren't cartoons and he's not moralizing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Conan the Barbarian Feb. 19th, 1979- Feb. 25th, 1979

It looks like Zorvaal is well aware of Thasdrubal's Laganetic Transfer/Agency of Far Dispatch.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

all our heroes drown people

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

goatface posted:

He's era and theme appropriate, his enemies aren't cartoons and he's not moralizing.

and hot

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

you broke my grill posted:

all our heroes drown people

Love the BLUB! details- the little tail of another one drifting off the top of the panel, the size getting a little smaller each time.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

How Wonderful! posted:

Yeah I raised an eyebrow when I first saw "Mr. Boop" in here but it's funny and it's deliberately done in more of a newspaper-strip style than a lot of webcomics so I'm fine with it unless there are very very strong and compelling objections, in the same way that if somebody decided to post Tijuana Bibles about Popeye or whoever I'd allow it (or the wolf comic, or Bad Machinery, etc.)
Fun fact: Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal is on Gocomics, so it'd technically be allowed by thread tradition.

But it doesn't have the bonus panels so I can't be assed to be the one posting it. :v:

Rand Brittain posted:

Well he's not a cop, for starters.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

catlord posted:

It looks like Zorvaal is well aware of Thasdrubal's Laganetic Transfer/Agency of Far Dispatch.

They'll get dropped on Shanglestone Strand

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Haifisch posted:

Well he's not a cop, for starters.

Knights are like cops, but worse.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Bloom County
October 10th - 13th, 1981

Rona Barrett for reference

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Oh hey, Mr Boop.

Also,

And then.
https://twitter.com/NoobtheLoser/status/1266414651484618753?s=20

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

They'll get dropped on Shanglestone Strand

:cool::hf::cool:

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm okay with Mr. Boop if it means Awoo is also posted. Just make sure you :nws: the ones you have to for those of us who're reading at work.

The Dinette Set proves you wrong.

Working Daze is...no. Not today's, no. If you want to go look, it's your own drat fault.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is a superhero I can relate to.

Cul De Sac has a good point.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

goatface posted:

Yeah, I think “he’s not moralizing” is the big thing.

Phantom and Dick Tracy are both gross because the writers clearly think their heroes are good people and they totally aren’t.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (December 26, 1932)

Peanuts (June 6, 1973)

Les Moore Presents "The Frankie Daterape Saga"

Crankshaft

:siren: AND SPEAKING OF TIJUANA BIBLES :siren:

Considering this is the version for public consumption, what would a 9CL Tijuana Bible even look like? Eight pages of people sitting around fully clothed and reading Proust?

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 28, 1936 - January 2, 1937)

Out Our Way (July 23-25, 1934)

e:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is...no. Not today's, no. If you want to go look, it's your own drat fault.

I just did, and yes, you're so, so right. Excuse me while I scream into a pillow for an hour.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 4, 2020

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Huh, how'd Brooke manage to get Junji Ito to guest-draw a strip?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Considering this is the version for public consumption, what would a 9CL Tijuana Bible even look like? Eight pages of people sitting around fully clothed and reading Proust?

cellos and pianos

nothing but cellos and pianos, just sitting there

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Professor Wayne posted:

“Okay, okay! Calm down, everyone! … This monster—would you say he was bigger or smaller than your building? … You can talk it over.”

Trivia: The phrase "Is is bigger than a breadbox" was popularized by comedian Steve Allen on the 50s/60s games show What's My Line?. He would ask this when told that the contestant dealt with a product of some kind. On a couple of occasions, the contestant actually manufactured breadboxes.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 25, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Cowards. All must experience the pain of existence.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Not as bad as I expected tbh.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

That's the most mealy mouthed cowardly comic I've ever seen

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/NoobtheLoser/status/1265688013587263490?s=20

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've come to accept the fact that Working Daze exists, but Christ almighty I really wish they'd stop trying to be relevant.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Edda is now a host to the Venom parasite.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

Edda is now a host to the Venom parasite.

Totally explains the mouth

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Sweet remake of the "Heart Shaped Box" video.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Unfortunately I'm too worn out tonight to give much commentary on this one, except to gesture exhaustedly at Bush I's law-and-order rhetoric. I'll edit it tomorrow.
Dykes to Watch Out For #67 (1989)

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Safe Havens

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Selachian posted:

Smokey Stover 9/22/35

I never noticed it before, but Smokey is always wearing his fire helmet backwards.

This might be a good time to note that there were several designs for shock absorbers in cars, one of them being "knee-action."

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Ugh, gently caress right off, Working Daze

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's the most mealy mouthed cowardly comic I've ever seen

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

FrumpleOrz posted:

Ella Cinders

"Ogeegosh!" is one of Ella's favorite catchphrases so get ready to be charmed every time. I also love all the radio metaphors, considering in the 20s commercial radio was high-tech and very much the New Thing.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
You know, aside from the horrendous mockeries of human anatomy attempting to look 'sexy', 9CL also pisses me off with its 'artsy' strips. Here's a strip of a few cats knocking balls around in ways that don't connect in the frames. Here's a Sunday strip with 7/8 panels of dog tail and snow, with one of creepo the dog monster leaping into the air. Here's a strip with one panel of a cat and everything else is just a series of red balls, which is supposed to convey perpetual motion. A strip of a woman at a piano, but there is a cat yowling at the other end, how goddamn droll.

If its not pissing me off with perpetually horny idiots pretending to be smart people, its pissing me off by being a waste of space. Like, in this thread we see the old Sunday funnies, which are amazing spreads with tons of details that you can just feel taking up like a full page of Newspaper, making good use of all that room, then you've got a large comic of Edda just having her dress change color in a fetishyartsy way. Like, if I was being generous I could say it was Edda reflecting on something-something-not-being-pure-anymore, and then accepting those reflections onto herself, but no, its pretty blatantly fetishy as poo poo and an excuse for Brook to draw his favorite waifu in that situation.

I guess it ties into his own interpretation of art where music is all about making you feel horny and nothing else that anything artsy he makes is most easily read as either laziness or more horniness.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Jack London: Cpt. Sakai has insult added to injury, or Isn't it always the same with Yale boys?, or What Rasputin lacks in innate charisma points he more than makes up in agility. Or, to stop using stupid D&D references (which I've never played, can you believe it?) Cpt. Suto is just amazingly bad at his job

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Hands, hands, hands!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

[]bZelda[/b]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/3/00

Fire Bright 3/9/41

Brenda Starr in Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Because of course he wants to marry Brenda too.

Smokey Stover 9/29/35

Six years before that copycat Oliver Queen came along, note.

Bonus headline!

Danbury, CT, has legalized the wearing of shorts in public as of summer 1936, but Yonkers, NY, still bans them.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 4, 2020