Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

I just gave up on that last panel and wrote a pretty direct translation since it's pretty difficult punning. So, Rami talks about a tonttu, which means Santa's elf or any kind of gnome or household spirit, but also an idiot or a fool. Then he calls Rauno a joulupunkki, word-play for joulupukki, Santa Claus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

somehow of all of holbrook's dumb bullshit this is the one to finally make me break out a loud audible UGH

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I will never get tired of cabbies in old comics and shows being perfectly fine with being told Follow That Car.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Cheer Up Boss Dharma

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (January 27, 1933)

Peanuts (July 16, 1973)

Les Moore Sees A G-G-G-GHOOOOOOST!

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 11, 1937)

Out Our Way (October 15-17, 1934)

(e: for a spoiler curtain an Ick cartoon that gives me vague Wash Funk flashbacks. I keep going back and forth on this one, which probably says something.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 13, 2020

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I love how Lisa apparently needs to be depicted exactly as she looked in real life, clearly any and all changes due to convenience were out of the question. DDL as Lincoln-style or bust! Only the best for this nothingstory.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

I love how Lisa apparently needs to be depicted exactly as she looked in real life, clearly any and all changes due to convenience were out of the question. DDL as Lincoln-style or bust! Only the best for this nothingstory.

It's slowly turning into Vertigo.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

It strikes me as unrealistic that a children's school cafeteria would leave salt shakers on the tables. I guess Susie keeps one in her lunch box?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Les Moore Sees A G-G-G-GHOOOOOOST!

"Say something!"
"...I NEVER REALLY LOVED MY WIFE AND I'M JUST ADDICTED TO THE FULFILLMENT I GET FROM THE SYMPATHY AND ATTENTION OF OTHERS!"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
“Also my second wife means literally nothing to me since I can’t stop revolving my life around my long dead first wife. She’s totally cool with it btw”.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

Is it just me or has Zelda stopped with the strawmanning since the unintentional timeskip? Seems like we're seeing characters being more purposeful dicks than just being dumb and so goddamn crazy.

It still does it from time to time, like the time Nova went to the gym, or whenever they go to clubs, or when Tove went to that meeting for prospective parents.

This kid showing such self-entitlement is really giving weight to the "he's actually Ed's secret love child" theory.

Boy, I sure love how Michael didn't even get a say as he gets shipped off and it's just Lynn justifying her abusive behavior to everyone around her.

gently caress you, Lynn!

There was a manga where a band went back in time before the Beatles were made and they just plagiarized the Beatles' songs to make themselves rich and popular. And from what I heard, one of the band members justified the plagiarism by saying they wanted to hear what new songs the Beatles would make. It's pretty gross, imo.

If this were in the hands of a good writer, it would lead to the husband realizing it's been nearly twenty years and he's almost forgotten what his wife exactly looked like, and how hard that realization would hit him. But it's Batiuk, so... *makes fart noises*

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

amigolupus posted:

Boy, I sure love how Michael didn't even get a say as he gets shipped off and it's just Lynn justifying her abusive behavior to everyone around her.

gently caress you, Lynn!

Seriously. She's not even trying to hide the fact that it's not about Mike "building character" or learning responsibility; just mom meddling in his life to get him away from his girlfriend for the summer. It's creepy.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Off to the rat race, where you don't need eyes to see!

F Minus

Mark Trail

I guess we're still in James Allen's backlog, but this looks suspiciously competent to me.

Mary Worth

"...that I may become her."

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

amigolupus posted:

This loving rear end in a top hat. This definitely looks like something abusers do, where they start shaping their partners to do things they'll approve of, and to stop doing things that turns them off.
It's certainly annoying, and if I just met someone who right away just started nagging me to change something I did I would probably drop them, but I don't think it's necessarily a sign he's abusive.

Finally, for those interested in Popeye's Cartoon Club, we have CK's attention, so if you're interested in more from Randy, send them a message or tweet or comment on the last comic or something.

https://twitter.com/ComicsKingdom/status/1282730420208128002

Or hey, if you're interested in just more PCC from an assortment of artists, it might be worth letting them know that too. I kind of liked that idea, although I do also think this guy is a good match for this strip.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"My gram loved colors"

:lol:

Speaking of "in the hands of a better artist". This could be a nice story about an older lady becoming a surrogate grandmother to a traumatized teen. Instead, we're treated to MST3K-level dialogue like that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"My gram loved colors"

Speaking of "in the hands of a better artist". This could be a nice story about an older lady becoming a surrogate grandmother to a traumatized teen. Instead, we're treated to MST3K-level dialogue like that.

And also the colorist deciding that all the colors they are talking about are the dingiest muted tones physically possible.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

amigolupus posted:

There was a manga where a band went back in time before the Beatles were made and they just plagiarized the Beatles' songs to make themselves rich and popular. And from what I heard, one of the band members justified the plagiarism by saying they wanted to hear what new songs the Beatles would make. It's pretty gross, imo.

They made a movie (Rom Com) about a world where the Beatle's never existed called Yesterday. Except this one guy remembers.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

They made a movie (Rom Com) about a world where the Beatle's never existed called Yesterday. Except this one guy remembers.

That's the movie that they just watched and are discussing in the comic. Full circle!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Tendales posted:

That's the movie that they just watched and are discussing in the comic. Full circle!

Well, not exactly that movie...

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dykes to Watch Out For #83 (1990)
-Alison Bechdel

I reread this one with curtadams' last comment about Mo and Harriet's relationship in mind and I see it pretty clearly. There are fractures showing up in the relationship that in some ways feel like a pretty organic development and in other ways feel like characters trying to catch up with plotting-- Mo is especially snitty in this one although I guess I've been in that position of starting dinner too early and sulking about it not being hot'n'fresh for guests.

Anyway if you enjoy cooking along with Mo, here is a decent Szechuan stir fry in lieu of more interesting commentary. Tofu isn't mentioned in the comic but I think it rules in a stir fry.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, not exactly that movie...

Within the margin of error, plus or minus some timefuckery

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Tendales posted:

Also, Shelley's not speaking in hypotheticals. Since she did pass the Beatles's songs off as her own when she and Amy went back in time thanks to a time teapot they stole from Tim Jones.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 17, 1940)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Conan the Barbarian Nov. 26th- Dec. 2nd, 1979

Vendhya, based on ancient India, was seen in the Howard story The People of the Black Circle. It seems this was his excuse to write a story harkening back to his earlier Central Asian adventure stories such as El Borak, with Conan leading a tribe of "Afghuli" hillmen and a threat from the kingdom of Turan, but without the need to hew close to history as he tried to do when writing historical fiction; this was something he intentionally did when designing the Hyborian Age as a prehistoric Earth, as while historical fiction was his favourite genre to write in he found the research required to keep his stories accurate meant he couldn't just knock one out to pay bills or what have you. Creating a psuedo-historical milieu allowed him to use his research, but also not need to keep things consistent with real history. This also had the side-effect of allowing him to move Conan to various genres; Beyond the Black River and Wolves Beyond the Border are westerns, The Black Stranger is a pirate story, The God in the Bowl is almost a detective story, ect.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"To the descendants who might read this: Guran is a giant jerk who should not be trusted."

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

howe_sam posted:

Also, Shelley's not speaking in hypotheticals. Since she did pass the Beatles's songs off as her own when she and Amy went back in time thanks to a time teapot they stole from Tim Jones.

But then Tim Jones went back in time and stopped them from stealing the time teapot in the first place!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"My gram loved colors"

Mary Worth is better if you assume every character is an alien infiltrator from a different species who thinks they're the only alien in a human suit and is desperately trying to convince the other hu-mans they are also a normal hu-man.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Fingerpori Classic

-My most dreaded enemy!
-I thought I had destroyed it...
-...A notebook full of erotic poems!

Vihollinen = Enemy (Viha = Hate, so this like "Hater")

Vihko = Notebook
Vihollinen = Notebook amount of something
(same idea as Spoon -> Spoonful)

Kennel fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 14, 2020

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Mary Worth is better if you assume every character is an alien infiltrator from a different species who thinks they're the only alien in a human suit and is desperately trying to convince the other hu-mans they are also a normal hu-man.

No doubt Mary's cookies are an attempt to exchange long protein strings.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 25, 2022

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Zits trying to be Nancy today.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I wonder why it's always the Beatles. I vaguely remember Hot Tub Time Machine 2 having a plot point about a character getting rich by stealing Motley Crue songs but eh...the main problem with any plots along these lines is that the people involved obviously have no idea how music works. Just writing a good song isn't enough to be famous and music always takes place in context. Music today in general would probably be very different without the Beatles and anyone trying to sing in their style would probably come off as hopelessly quaint, the same way we might see someone who was trying to make big band music or bop.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Some Guy TT posted:

I wonder why it's always the Beatles. I vaguely remember Hot Tub Time Machine 2 having a plot point about a character getting rich by stealing Motley Crue songs but eh...the main problem with any plots along these lines is that the people involved obviously have no idea how music works. Just writing a good song isn't enough to be famous and music always takes place in context. Music today in general would probably be very different without the Beatles and anyone trying to sing in their style would probably come off as hopelessly quaint, the same way we might see someone who was trying to make big band music or bop.

The Beatles are the "most influential" band in most people's minds. Whether that's true or not, who knows, but there's clearly a major impact from their music. What really bugs me about this stuff is that people seem to think that it's only the songwriting that matters, not the way it was played, not the way it was produced, or not the way it was arranged. Writing and performing a cover of "A Day In The Life" is very different from the way that song was recorded and released on Sgt Pepper.

There's also all of the tangential stuff like without The Beatles, does any sort of British Invasion happen and do The Stones, The Who, The Kinks, etc become popular outside of the UK at all? What kind of massive changes would that have? It's so frustrating that these kind of fantasies think that music exists in a vacuum and that all of the cultural dominoes that are required to be lined up for a song to have a major impact have no bearing.

There's no world where a Beatles album released today would be as popular as it was back in the 60s. I could see an album like Abbey Road having a dedicated fanbase but it would probably be closer to the small but loud Guided By Voices obsessives instead of any sort of pop culture explosion.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Important question; would Everet True wear a mask? If so, would his wrath be unleashed on those who do not wear one and also people who wear a mask but have their noses uncovered?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
A 6.0 Pitchfork review for Rubber Soul.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

MariusLecter posted:

Important question; would Everet True wear a mask? If so, would his wrath be unleashed on those who do not wear one and also people who wear a mask but have their noses uncovered?

Was Everett True running in 1918-1919?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MariusLecter posted:

Maybe our resident True collector has a bigger version but

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

This new av is rad. Thanks thread and specifically How Wonderful!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
drat that is an ace user name / avatar combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Some Guy TT posted:

Agents of Shield had one person steal various songs from the 80s last week. A few years before they'd be released, so you avoid the "playing the music outside the moment that helped it be a hit" thing but there's still the marketing/band factor just getting glossed over. One nice touch is that the lyrics aren't exact, he's going off memory.