Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Haifisch posted:

The forums automatically resize images to fit the viewer's window. Post things as big as you want to.
I mean spare a thought for image filesize and don't go posting stuff that's 5000 pixels wide or anything but otherwise yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (February 6, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (February 6, 1999)

Garfield Classic (February 6, 1989)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NRVNQSR posted:

Is this a very early one, or something? It's unsigned, so it almost looks like a fan comic done by someone else.

Plus the opinions are slightly different from Everett's usual, though to be honest he has never been entirely consistent in his positions.

It's also very off-model but that could be an indication of just before it was a Thing also

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Aren't those kids from other contemporary comics? It's probably a newspaper advertisement or some other illustration done by an in house artist.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I thought race suicide was about voluntary extinction of the human race via non-reproduction. Suppose I was naive.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

NRVNQSR posted:

Is this a very early one, or something? It's unsigned, so it almost looks like a fan comic done by someone else.

Plus the opinions are slightly different from Everett's usual, though to be honest he has never been entirely consistent in his positions.

Yeah, it's dated 1905-09-10, so two months after the comic started
https://www.barnaclepress.com/comic/Outbursts%20of%20Everett%20True/

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_suicide

Very explicitly just bad and racist. gently caress Teddy Roosevelt, btw.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 01, 1941)

I hope you like turban wearing, scimitar wielding caricatures, because that's what you're getting for a while. IMO it's not actually all that bad, but still, fair warning and all. As I've said before, if anything seems like it goes too far, let me know and I'll spoiler or link the offending images.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Dick

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

ikanreed posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_suicide

Very explicitly just bad and racist. gently caress Teddy Roosevelt, btw.
Yup, I looked it up and had that exact response. Goddamn eugenics.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It is unbelievable how popular and widespread eugenic thinking was in nineteenth and early twentieth century America. Even worse, once you recognize the language and what's more, the ideas behind it, you begin to realize that in a lot of ways it never really went away. There was a long stretch of my pre-dissertation research where I would go to bed completely broken down every night just from being immersed in that poo poo for eight hours a day.

Ruthless Rhymes for Martial Militants 10/10/1914

At this point we're about two weeks out from the assassination of Franz Ferdinand. Neither the WSPU as a dedicated suffrage organization nor Nelson Harding's Ruthless Rhymes for Martial Militants are long for this world. Suffrage and feminism in general would emerge from the other side of WWI in a quite different place-- women wound up playing an important role in the war effort, with Britain in particular creating a Women's Auxiliary Corp, a Women's Air Force, and a Women's Royal Navy in 1917. In 1918 this all translated into increased although still limited civil liberties. Women gained the vote in 1918, and in 1919 the Sex Discrimination Removal Act made it illegal to fire women from a job on the basis of their gender (although a follow-up legislation gave men explicit priority in filling jobs).

Sam's Strio (2/15/1962)

Henry Barnes was appointed traffic commissioner of NYC in 1962 after a successful career in Flint, Denver, and Baltimore. New York in the 60s was in the throes of numerous projects of redevelopment and modernization, with a lot of big egos jostling for priority. Barnes in particular clashed with the notoriously despotic city planner, Robert Moses, arguably one of the prime super-villains of 20th century American public life. The joke here is that traffic in 1960s New York was hosed.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 24, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

In the botttom-left-most panel: Are they crying? Or is that supposed to be crocodile tears triggered by excessive yawning?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

PetraCore posted:

I thought race suicide was about voluntary extinction of the human race via non-reproduction. Suppose I was naive.

That's the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Haifisch posted:

The forums automatically resize images to fit the viewer's window. Post things as big as you want to.

Zereth posted:

I mean spare a thought for image filesize and don't go posting stuff that's 5000 pixels wide or anything but otherwise yeah.

Alrighty.
Yeah, no need to worry about filesize, did a little tweaking and the ~1400px moomin pages are just ~700KB now.
That should be phone/slownew/dial-up/memory friendly enough.

Moomin, but slightly bigger than usual. Or perhaps it's just closer.

The higher res is absolutely worth it to make the tiiiiny tiiiiny pirates legible.

e: Oh yeah.
I'll run out of Moomin to post (vol3) at the end of February.
I've been tempted to ask for more volumes as a christmas present, and if that ends up being the case then I can probably scan those up as well.
If not, then someone else will have to step up with vol4 onward.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 24, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Eugenics was a universal obsession in North America and Europe im the early part of the last century. It probably would have held on a lot longer than it did had Aktion T4 and the Holocaust not demonstrated the only possible endpoint. Even then, the backlash didn't take full force until the sixties and some countries still had (unused and dormant) involuntary sterilization laws on the books until after the turn of the century.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Gnoman posted:

Eugenics was a universal obsession in North America and Europe im the early part of the last century. It probably would have held on a lot longer than it did had Aktion T4 and the Holocaust not demonstrated the only possible endpoint. Even then, the backlash didn't take full force until the sixties and some countries still had (unused and dormant) involuntary sterilization laws on the books until after the turn of the century.

I have some bad news about contemporary USA.

Anyway, onto today's Corto Maltese: Corto meets a familiar face, or yeah, Corto, the 'music' is summoning images, or When swinging goes bad

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gnoman posted:

Even Dune (now a major motion picture again) amazing as it is, has a heavy pseudo-mystical eugenics element

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah uhh... yeah

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Samovar posted:

I have some bad news about contemporary USA.

Lol seriously.

In North Carolina, the last involuntary sterilization done specifically under eugenics laws was nineteen loving eighty

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

ikanreed posted:

Lol seriously.

In North Carolina, the last involuntary sterilization done specifically under eugenics laws was nineteen loving eighty

...I was, uh... referring to the allegations re. the internment camps RIGHT NOW.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Samovar posted:

...I was, uh... referring to the allegations re. the internment camps RIGHT NOW.

I know, but those are different racist laws.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac flirts with danger.

I love big Shirley

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 25, 2022

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Zereth posted:

That's the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement.

I only know that movement exists because Nina Paley, the cartoonist who drew "Fluff", is a supporter of that movement, even creating a few animated shorts expressing that sentiment.

Knowing the kind of weird beliefs Paley expressed over the years, her being a TERF seemed inevitable. Ugh.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 24, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
This was very confusing as a kid, because the translator just used the local name of the Peanuts character.

To be fair, there was really nothing they could do to make it better and I wouldn't have known the reference even if it worked in Finnish.

And it's not even a funny joke.

(it's this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_(Australopithecus))

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 25, 2022

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Statue with a dick

Naked butt

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fondue posted:

B Kliban

dick, balls, rear end, and hot dog buns

nice

vv OK I edited them out too but I really don't think they go over the line i was just :lol: about it

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 24, 2020

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

The Bloop posted:

dick, balls, rear end, and hot dog buns

nice

I just realized that might not be best exposed so I spoilered them. :)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

amigolupus posted:

The thing that bothers me about it is that changing your species is supposed to be Holbrook's analogue for being trans, so the gopher man wanting to be a turtle just to get together with the weasel feels incredibly off to me.
I think the consensus is that Holbrook has zero constancy in what changing species or carnivore/herbivore status or whatever really means. In fact, it probably isn't actually intended to represent anything at all but what it represents in the story.

F Minus

I don't drink, but man do I think about heists.

Mark Trail

Good day to you, sir!

Mary Worth

"All my life I've dreamt of running a meth lab, and now, it may finally be possible!"

The Phantom

God just tell her at this point you're terrible at this.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Why is this framed so ominously

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol @ the YOU'RE UGLY protest sign

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

lmao the bottom right on the third Mark Trail panel where the inker just didn't care.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

The Phantom

God just tell her at this point you're terrible at this.

I really hope we're stupposed to feel with Kaida here and not Helioise because oh my god just tell her your 3 second pause before the world's worst deflection is fooling NO ONE

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

rannum posted:

Why is this framed so ominously

Because they're printing the coffin for the remains of the turtle they killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 01, 1941)

I hope you like turban wearing, scimitar wielding caricatures, because that's what you're getting for a while. IMO it's not actually all that bad, but still, fair warning and all. As I've said before, if anything seems like it goes too far, let me know and I'll spoiler or link the offending images.

Was Foster into symbolism, or was he just illustrating the famous sites? It's neat that Val visits the passion sites backwards, starting at the crucifixion site and ending up passing where Judas did the betrayal.