Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

His Divine Shadow posted:

I really thought this was about Taku until the last few panels.

The original Korean actually has a line saying "he's even worse than Taku" in reference to women which I had to cut for space constraints. This creative decision does make a reasonable amount of sense on further consideration. After all, Taku knows that money can be used to buy anime. Why waste money on some woman's sick mother when you could just buy anime instead?

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I do not understand the Maria reference. It's presented so bluntly that an alternate interpretation isn't obvious.

Everyone in today's strip is just deciding whether to use honorifics at random. Which is pretty typical for the doctor's office.

This mainly denotes that characters are going out of their way to avoid sounding rude. Although when sir's completely inappropriate I have to try something more subtle.

In another possible character shift we have in fact seen Guy Fenix drinking alcohol and expressing an interest in women before. Although the former was at Dharma's prodding and the latter was extremely abstract and not directed to any woman in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

It didn't occur to me earlier when we talked about referring to your family members as "our", like "our Sulo", but another thing that the characters do constantly and is very Finnish is referring to non-family as "last name's first name" e.g. "Smith's John", like in the last panel. I have simply used full names normally ("will get engaged with Eeva Lehtonen") when that happens because I think it will help keep track of the characters and I feel the form you see here is very clumsy in English while "Lempi of Lahtinen" would sound pompous.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

While it's not the same scale my dad's had the same problem with mowing the lawn (or not) while waiting for rain. I feel for this farmer. Also god the art is so good.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 25, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Oct 22, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 27-28, 1987)

Robbie and Bobby (Feb 11-12, 2016)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Good boy!!! :kimchi:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 25, 2022

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
WRT to Luann: So Tiffanys fathers finances are so bad, he can;t afford Dorm tuition, but still has a personal chef?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

I honestly perceived them as holding hands in the first panel, which would've been an amazing direction for a syndicated strip to go, and which made me expect something very different from that "little do they know" in the third panel.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Is it a -thing- in Luann where Tiffany's father is always shown with his back to the reader, or from the shoulders up? Is this supposed to be meaningful, like he's going to be someone we know?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Green Intern posted:

Is it a -thing- in Luann where Tiffany's father is always shown with his back to the reader, or from the shoulders up? Is this supposed to be meaningful, like he's going to be someone we know?

I think it's just for the same reason we don't see the Phantom's face, or anything about Mr. and Mrs. Jones.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bunpocalypse

(As a reminder, this is what Pagelow did at the end of last December:)

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/2/00

Brenda Starr 3/2/41

Ah yes, every girl's dream: having an rear end in a top hat, a rich rear end in a top hat, and a ditzy sidekick fighting over your hand.

Going swimming in long johns: the 1941 equivalent of skinny dipping.

Smokey Stover 9/22/35

I never noticed it before, but Smokey is always wearing his fire helmet backwards.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Zip

Dick

Duck

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I really enjoy all the little visual gags in Smokey Stover, like Smokey’s axe just going through the brim of his helmet in the first panel of the latest strip.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bah. It's no 'Red Lolly, Yellow Lorry'.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Boop

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

I really love that the guy is drinking his coffee off the saucer. I remember seeing my grandmother doing that.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

We don't see Tiff's Dad's face for the same reason we didn't see Luann's date's face that one time she made the shameful decision to date somebody she did not intend to marry: Team Evans thought it would be cool.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Some Guy TT posted:

This one's really screwing with me. I didn't think the black stuff was water at first but then when I saw the boat I couldn't remember what I thought the black stuff was. I think I thought it was the sky even though it doesn't look like the sky at all now and I can't figure out why I assumed that.
I think it's supposed to be sky with clouds, but I actually immediately thought sea anyways, so it didn't work for me.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Beethoven 9: Beethoven's Big Adventure

(Yes, there have been 8 Beethoven movies)

Mary Worth

OK I see potential here.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Castor's Cartoon Club

Rex Morgan MD

No better way to start a story than "Well, this probably sucks, but...OK."

Andertoons

There's a good lesson about having a limited perspective in there.

Apartment 3-G

This woman should cancel her appointment with this guy.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm about 99.9% sure that this never ran in a newspaper, or on an official distributer of newspaper strips like comicskingdom. I've read this strip, and I can appreciate (if that's the right word) it for its sheer :wtc: weirdness, but it's better suited to a webcomics thread, I think.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I thought about posting it in the Tails Gets Trolled thread given the obvious thematic similarity. Making that thread into a megathread for weird copyright violation webcomics seemed like a logical evolution of the concept. I chickened out but even so it would still make much more sense to post it there than here.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

we're in the boop zone now

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

I'm about 99.9% sure that this never ran in a newspaper, or on an official distributer of newspaper strips like comicskingdom. I've read this strip, and I can appreciate (if that's the right word) it for its sheer :wtc: weirdness, but it's better suited to a webcomics thread, I think.

if people are going to keep posting that wolf comic i figured i'd post a twitter comic that's actually funny

also it has betty boop in it which is like an old comic, so gently caress it

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah I raised an eyebrow when I first saw "Mr. Boop" in here but it's funny and it's deliberately done in more of a newspaper-strip style than a lot of webcomics so I'm fine with it unless there are very very strong and compelling objections, in the same way that if somebody decided to post Tijuana Bibles about Popeye or whoever I'd allow it (or the wolf comic, or Bad Machinery, etc.)

Anyway my phone was raunched out all weekend but it's working again so I'll resume DtWOF soonish.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Pretty sure the comic strip Tijuana bibles have been posted here a few times over the years.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The idea of Mr Boop being a spiritual descendant of Tijuana bibles is funny enough on its own to have swayed me on putting it in the thread.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Huxley posted:

The idea of Mr Boop being a spiritual descendant of Tijuana bibles is funny enough on its own to have swayed me on putting it in the thread.

You know what, I agree. Objection withdrawn.

:justpost:, kidcoelacanth.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Julet Esqu posted:

We don't see Tiff's Dad's face for the same reason we didn't see Luann's date's face that one time she made the shameful decision to date somebody she did not intend to marry: Team Evans thought it would be cool.

You know, after a certain point, no one would convict Tiff. Just sayin'.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
TFW u check the Comic Strip Megathread and u see a bad comic

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

2006 would have been X-Men: The Last Stand. Not the franchise's finest hour.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

NUH. NUH. SHUTUP IDIOT IM ON VIDEOGAMES RIGHT NOW. NUH.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

maltesh posted:

2006 would have been X-Men: The Last Stand. Not the franchise's finest hour.

And yet, not it's darkest as it would turn out :v:

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

JethroMcB posted:

TFW u check the Comic Strip Megathread

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell This is going to get stupid.

So... time to guess how this storyline will play out? Obviously she's on the run from racists or something, but I'm going to with the obvious cliche and say that he and she are traditionally antagonistic species who will fall in love with each other, because they can't tell the species behind the mask.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 23, 1939)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Medenmath posted:

I dunno that grin isn't filling me with confidence here

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

This one became the title of his first collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Medenmath posted:

lmao

"Val is calmly drowning him" :allears: