Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Zereth posted:

It's the current trend of making your lightbulbs and refrigerator and your door locks and poo poo internet connected. It almost universally has terrible security, so there's a high chance it'll end up as part of a botnet or something. Among other reasons it's almost always a terrible idea. This isn't a term Holbrook made up.

No, but he's going to make a stupid mess of it. I know I won't read it, because I know Holbrook doesn't respect me as a reader. Why will you read it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Tha's cool.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I think every Dick Tracy reader can agree that it can only get better the further away we get from the Lum and Abner garbage.

Anyway, has anyone ever posted The Heart of Juliet Jones before? It's mostly a standard soap opera story. The titular character is a sensible young woman living in the small town of Devon. She's so sensible that she was elected mayor. Most of the drama comes from her younger sister, Eve, who is more romantically inclined. But this story begins with their father, Pop Jones, who is just shutting up the office...

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Julet Esqu posted:

It is far superior in every way to this trash:

Then why, by all that is holy, do you post it?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

riderchop posted:

i need to be mad at the Evanses to live
So basically this, eh?
Well, I'm plenty angry at this Holbrook chap, and I never read his stuff. But to each his own.

Anyway, more Juliet Jones, in which I assume Pop Jones has recognized that the young hood is a woman and will be trying to make her later.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
We take up Juliet Jones again, where it seems Pop is anxious to give food away.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones returns us to the bad old days when there was a law against women being criminals, something that Encyclopedia Brown would have known.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

dirksteadfast posted:

I know it’s the nature of the industry, but I have not stepped foot in these threads for at least a few years and it’s still mostly the same strips and they all look exactly the same. It’s uncanny and frightening.

You may want to check out Mark Trail. The current author seems to not have any clip art for the flashback he's telling today.

Anyway, Juliet Jones, where today we see that Mayor of Devon, Heronner Juliet Jones, cooks for her father, who feels free to drag home anyone without saying there'll be another person at dinner.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, in which we find out the would-be stickup artist's name.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Today's (well, October 23, 1962's) Juliet Jones, in which Eve enters and immediately starts prying.

There's no real malice in her, but she is kinda nosy.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, in which Eve strictly enforces gender norms.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
"Trust in God, but tie up your camel." And if we can't take The Golden Voyage of Sinbad as a source of wisdom, the world's done for.

Anyway, here's more Juliet Jones, in which we learn a bit more about Karen.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, in which Pop treats Karen as a hostile witness.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, in which the narrative has slowed to a crawl. If they don't pick up the pace, dinner's going to get cold.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Folks, Nancy was never very good. It was always repetitive gags about some bratty kids. It's just that under Gilchrist's hand, it was so much worse.

Anyway, Juliet Jones, in which we see that Pop can tell a woman's age in half a minute, and he does.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, in which Karen isn't even staying for coffee.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
That is one fine sea-crocodile.

Anyway, Juliet Jones, where Eve realizes her dress is being stolen

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Sunday Juliet Jones is still in the middle of another story, so here's some Pickles.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

I assume Der Bingle's kid is crying because he's already started smacking it around.

Pogo is something I would like but for two things: it uses dialect writing, which I loathe, and it was topical enough that it often needs footnotes now, which robs it of its humor.

Anyway, here's Juliet Jones, in which Eve is determined to shove hospitality down Karen's throat if necessary.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, in which a mysterious new character comes to town, one who doesn't relish the jug.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones shows us a glimpse of the part of Devon down by the highway, with neon lights and negotiable-rate motels.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, in which the mysterious stranger is watching the Jones place. Gee, you don't think he knows Karen, do ya?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, who is not as unobservant as you might think, has noticed the half man-half tree watching the house.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
And now, Juliet Jones, where we learn the tree man's name.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones on a Sunday, which I was waiting for the start of a new story, but I like the last panel, which is really Eve. Shine on, Eve, shine on. Lead with your heart.

Also, I am waiting for the panel where Sir Gawain, in front of Hadrian's wall, prepares to die expensively, because that was bad rear end.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones is probably wondering how this Don knew to look for Karen at the Jones place

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones learns that Don was released early for obeying the no-shaving rule.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Yvonmukluk posted:

Dangit! I even had the image queued up on imgur and everything, but I must have forgotten to :justpost:

Anyway, here's today's Bad Machinery:

People often don't realise that 'It was a dark and stormy night' was only the start of the sentence. Althought i guess in this case it's a reference to Snoopy.

"Somewhere, a dog plagiarized."

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, where Julie struggles to get Eve to keep up.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, in which Don's whiskers vanish upon his confessing his guilt and repentance.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, in which Don wants a new start. Hope he told his parole officer.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, out of all the annoying stuff in Dustin, this running 'joke' gets up my nose the most. Women just don't respond like that when a guy makes a pleasant, respectful approach to them. Perhaps Dustin's parents transmit their opinion that Dustin's utterly worthless by telepathy?
Maybe they do react that way if it's Skelly making what he imagines is a pleasant, respectful approach.

Anyway, Juliet Jones, where Pop doesn't go for any of this halfway house stuff and just shoves Dan in the way of a temptation to embezzlement.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, in which Karen sure picked the right guy to stick up.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, where Don continues to make a new start by blurting out that he's an ex-con to anyone who'll listen. Also, I think Chip may dislike baseball.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, where honest-to-goodness, I didn't peek ahead, and it really does look like baseball is going to be a theme.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, where ex-cons are common, but baseball players rare and secretive.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, where it seems I misread Tuesday's strip. It is not baseball that is Don's dread secret, but where he played it. The world seems a little duller just now. Back on Monday with more exciting blackmail action.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, in which Don was a pitcher, but has a pretty good swing.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, in which we see that yesterday's strip was just round 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, where Don is a loving, tender husband.