Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

curtadams posted:

I can't really put my finger on why, because I'm not an artists, but Prince Valiant kind of smells of Art Nouveau. Which was perfect because Art Nouveau coincided with an interest in medieval art, and at the time the strip came out had become kind of an old-timey style, which fits a historical strip (even if the times are very far apart). This one is cute too with the personal interactions. Most strips would just ignore that wife extra stranded out in the woods but the writer didn't.

There's a definite Maxfield Parrish vibe to Foster's style. His artwork and compostions were mind-blowing and lush.

Second only to Winsor McCay's Little Nemo in Slumberland.

Keeping in mind that the format of Sunday papers up in to the early 70s was enormous. The comics pages in them were ridiculous: 4-6 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Discendo Vox posted:

For the record it is really, really hard to qualify for a home office deduction. If you just started using a home office for work for the pandemic, it's almost certainly impossible.

It's even harder now, since Trump eliminated the home-office deduction in 2017. I'd taken it for the past twenty years.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Technowolf posted:

Is the intimation here that Jimmy here is gay?

...and possibly a pedophile.

What do you expect from your characters when you draw them like Jimmy Cagney.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Parahexavoctal posted:

drat my timing - if only I'd been a little more assiduous about posting Keeping Up With the Joneses, I'd be ready to post the horrible caricature of a black person. Next time, I suppose.

In this installment, though, we're reminded that modern notions of food safety are, well, modern - although, in 1920, Typhoid Mary was still alive. That might be why this particular inept prospective employee is white instead of black.

Few slice-of-life strips these days would have "I accidentally killed all my previous employers" as a punchline.

The full story is fascinating. Radiolab did a great podcast on her.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 10, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

fondue posted:

B Kliban

If memory serves, this guy was set with two others for another cartoon compilation: "Never Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head"

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

riderchop posted:

ah poo poo he's a nerd now

ALSO, looks like Genndy Tartakovsky's (the Samurai Jack guy) Popeye project might be back on the table, backed by King Features?

https://www.animationmagazine.net/features/genndy-tartakovskys-popeye-movie-afloat-with-king-features

good luck, genndy. the animation test they released for the first effort at it back in 2012 was really cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1lzJuwJD9k

And they're releasing a pile of Asterix!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

catlord posted:

That's not fair. It's only like, 3/4 of them!

But yeah, it is really bad. Looking ahead, through to the end of 1978, they are a bit better (well, not next week's, that one's real bad too), you can see some but it's not as blindingly obvious as these past few, and beyond that it seems, barring a few exceptions here and there, it's generally decent. Like I said, I've not read these before, I'm basically discovering them alongside everyone else.. I'm not really familiar with how they'd have handled colouring back in 1978, but considering how poorly it sometimes gets handled now, I'm not too surprised it gets so sloppy.

I've been reading the Sunday comics since the mid-60s. The color drift issue seemed to have started in the early to mid 70s, depending on the paper. I have also wondered what the problem was, because the color print run is fine everywhere else in the paper except the Sunday funnies. It started showing up in US comic books (outside of Marvel or DC) here & there in the late 70s.

I am also surprised that some publisher hasn't put together cleaned-up reprints. I picked up such a publication of Windsor McCay's Little Nemo in Slumberland, printed in native format, which set the book dimensions so large I have to prop it up against a wall in its shipping box (I'm planning to build a rostrum for it).

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hwurmp posted:

He's wanted to torch his inn for years now.

At least roll out the kegs & pipes & tuns 'n' poo poo, before the Zippo party. What good is a righeous bonfire without everyone (especially the innkeeper) tying one on.

Keep posting Foster. Can't have too much Valiant.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 23, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Julet Esqu posted:

Isn't their job to go out and kill people? So they're not doing their job, right? Because of the quarantine? How do you work from home and social distance when your job is to go out and kill people using your claws and/or face? Drones and guns are considered bad form, right? And that's why the Evil Murder Company uses them? (Oh no are we going to be subjected to strips where the Good Murder Company employees go out and kill people while wearing face masks?)

Nah, they order delivery from the International House Of Preyİ

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My mother-in-law was living in Ocala in 2000, and voted for Nader. That vote haunted her until the day she died.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Green Intern posted:

I know this is from a few pages back, but is that last panel supposed to be wordplay on milk (it's white), or am I about to have a real unfortunate turn of opinion on Ella Cinders?

I believe it's a pun on doing the right thing. The milkman is well aware that the milk he may leave will probably never make it inside the house.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

How Wonderful! posted:

I am positive I've seen some kind of raunchy Lockhorn art by Bill Hoest from the 60s or 70 but I am not having any luck turning it up at the moment.

Try Playboy

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Selachian posted:

Smokey Stover 9/22/35

I never noticed it before, but Smokey is always wearing his fire helmet backwards.

This might be a good time to note that there were several designs for shock absorbers in cars, one of them being "knee-action."

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Setting up to shoot some Nemo...soon as the help clears out.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Little Nemo In Slumberland - Winsor McKay

October 15, 1905. These are full-format reprints of comics that ran in the Sunday New York Herald. Will try to set-up a rostrum with a Nikon if they're popular. They're thumbnailed due to the size - it's hard to make them smaller as there is a ton of detail and the artwork is incredible.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Litte Nemo In Slumberland - 10/22/1905

Shrooms!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Zereth posted:

Val is awful at this

Also wouldn't the duke know about these holes, since they're not something you can easily add after construction?

After a fews turns in Dungeonville, I think the Duke is (at least temporarily) a few shovelfuls short of a full load.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Powered Descent posted:

Devil ate some of the roofied lion-heart too, right? I wonder what vision his bad trip is bringing. (Perhaps he's seeing himself as one of the dogs in Pooch Cafe.)

He's balanced on the roof of a red dog house, trying to translate a bird that speaks only in multiples of the letter, "I."

How Wonderful! posted:

I have bad news for you about how homosexuality was generally portrayed in popular culture for basically forever.

A good example because it's sadly recent and almost identical to what's going on here is one of the antagonists of The Witcher 2 (2011), a sneaky advisor guy named Dethmold. Like many characters like him before, he's conniving and treacherous and sadistic but cowardly and ugly. The real kicker is that you find out late in the game that he's also gay with a thing for younger men-- a trait long assigned to villains of that mold to signify them as effete, perverse, predatory, and "less than" the manly men who show up to stop them.

Piscaro seems precisely the same. It isn't merely that he's a cruel torturer who's ok with doing harm to our hero-- he also aestheticizes both the body he's going to be torturing and the torture itself in a way that is definitely meant to be queer-coded. Note his body language in panels two and four-- it's very much like comedic depictions of gay masculinity in pop culture throughout the first half of the 20th century. I love Prince Valiant but for sure you're accurately picking up, I think, on something quite common and quite ugly.

Agreed, the inferences to physique are designed to inform the reader that Piscaro is the deepest form of evil: deviant.

Aside from this shading of Picaro's personality, nothing more need be done. By the mid-1930s, the comics page was chiefly aimed at children (although the best narratives are artfully dual - something for kids as well as adults, a skill Looney Tunes and the Fleischer brothers perfected); this was an object lesson.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

sweeperbravo posted:

i love this so much

I do, too.

Is that a breast cancer survivor in the first panel?

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 23, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Little Nemo in Slumberland

Trying a full page...comments welcome.

(a little taste of Gertie in panel #5)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Little Nemo in Slumberland November 26, 1905.

A Theme!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Little Nemo In Slumberland - September 23, 1906

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nemo - September 16, 1906

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I love how we can read through the censoring anyway.

Language is about as I remember it at that age. Kids talk the same, all over the world.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

MariusLecter posted:

Dustin could also have diabetes, isn't a symptom being fatigued constantly?

Obstructive sleep apnea

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nemo

A detail shot of that magnificent elephant while I set up some more pages...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Darthemed posted:

Comics Pages of '78

Brings back memories. No biorhythm chart, though...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 03, 1940)

Good lord, the detail. Fabulous!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Selachian posted:

I like that the firehouse rat goes "clang clang clang."

As for Smokey having his helmet tied onto his nose, I dunno. Maybe it's just to keep him from losing it. Plus, it looks funny.

According to Wiki, it was his take on a chin strap.

Also, Holman is responsible for the WWII term for UFOs, "foo fighters." Huh.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Lodin posted:

It strikes me as unrealistic that a children's school cafeteria would leave salt shakers on the tables. I guess Susie keeps one in her lunch box?

Back in my day (60s-80s), we had them. The cafeteria folks actually made the food from scratch, too. :corsair:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Haifisch posted:

I might drop Nancy since it keeps being extremely illegible for no apparent reason. As compensation have some 70s handwringing over test tube

I wanna solve it, Pat.

She asks the cute boy his name, he says, "Frank."

She writes, "I love Frank"

Sluggo arrives, scowling, so she adds to the bottom, resulting in, "I love franks and sauerkraut"

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 15, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tina's Groove Classic (December 11, 2008)

You mean, as opposed to in a giant chicken barn, up to their drumsticks in chicken poo poo 24/7?
Well, at least you know.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Darthemed posted:

Given how frazzled Calvin's mom is, it's more likely that the kids were doing stuff like running all through the aisles and throwing popcorn at each other.

As an ancient child of the sixties, I can tell you that:

Matinees were the poo poo.

Usually two or more movies with cartoons in between, for a quarter to fifty cents (depending on the theater & films).

We had a theater close enough to walk to (the Hiway in Jenkintown, outside of Phila). Usually the oldest sibling led the others, had all of the money, and was the cop/crowd control. No parents. We'd hit Walker's candy store on the way up and buy a metric assload of loose candy for a quarter. Since almost every kid did this... then yes, it could devolve into a popcorn & jujubee-flavored riot as all that sugar hit.

The main purpose was to keep the kids occupied & out of their parent's hair for a few hours on the weekend.

I remember winning the bet to take my son to see the Barney movie (or some such horror) around 1997. When my wife got home, she had the thousand-yard stare and swore to never do it again.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Parahexavoctal posted:

IDGI. Ces is a gay ram, or...?

Ces is old & thus has lost his interest in rutting. Just wants to be left alone...but is aware that he becomes pet food if he's too obvious about it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mikl posted:

That would make a pretty good "Disaster Lesbian" avatar.

Hmmm... a companion...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Selachian posted:

Edge of Diagnosis

"An obvious broken neck as the head is slightly detached!" Get a load of Dr. House here.

And if you were hoping for something that might clarify the time line of Lucinde's back story, this is absolutely no help. Unless she's actually something like eight.

I'm going to say that it'll be amnesia from a head injury.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Explain Batz Maru then

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Move av material. Hopefully, it'll be stale within six months.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

We were discussing Lio earlier.

I bought this print and had it framed for my Mom, when it came out in 2009:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Gravity coaster. Yes, they had a brakeman, and no, there were no bars or belts.

It was a different time. Based on the publication date, that time was about to come to an abrupt end as the US entered WWI.