Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Yay! Bloom County is on!
Starting from the first strip, December 8 + 9, 1980

Probably will post two a day for the foreseeable future.

Edit: I double-checked and I think I have a physical copy of all of the strips in case Gocomics is missing any.

Thank you for this.
I only read a bit of Outland as a kid but a couple of years ago I bought a digital bundle with pretty much everything from BB up til the end of Opus. It's since become some of my favourite strips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

Star Wars is full of tools

You posted the second strip twice, my dude.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

Star Wars is FAST AND FURIOUS

Only recently jumped in on these strips so I didn't catch the start. Does Vader know that the spy is Luke? I'm assuming so and that he's wiped him from any database of wanted rebels. Otherwise you'd think that the guy who blew up the Death Star would be Bin Laden levels of infamous in the Empire.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (August 13-14, 1936)

You guys want to hear something depressing? I used to read old Popeye as a kid but it was translated to Norwegian. What ever dingus did it spent zero time trying to emulate the weird speech of Popeye and the other characters and instead it was all just spelled normally. I never knew until I started checking out this thread.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

Star Wars has that Spidey Sense

"Go for a ride in my supply tug" is a weird sex euphemism

Man, this poo poo's getting intense. Also, that lady is way to horny. I bet she's also a spy.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

No, you were reading the Swedish version!!

Actually, now that you mention it they probably were in Swedish. The vacation home my parents bought in the 80s still had a bunch of crap out in the barn and there were some boxes of old comics among it. Mostly poo poo but there were a couple of MAD Magazine issues that I still have to this day. Swedish MAD sucks compared to the Norwegian one.

Lodin fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 16, 2020

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

Star Wars is steaming hot!

:rip:

New story tomorrow!

So during the confusion of Storm Troopers and admirals running around like headless chickens Luke has the opportunity to knock out a guy and take his armour?
I know a guy who cosplays as a Storm Trooper at conventions and movie premieres and have seen him put on the armour pieces over the body suit. That poo poo took probably 30 minutes and he was just sticking most of it on with velcro.
Also, Luke would have to have stripped down to his undies before starting or he'd look all lumpy.

And yes, I'm being a pedant but that's just because I really like the strip.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I refuse to believe any other story than the guy pulling the armour of a lynched Storm Trooper, but couldn't get the boots off because all the blood had coagulated in the legs.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SubNat posted:

Moomin and the brigands

And thus it ends, I didn't feel like posting that last strip on it's own tomorrow.

Now I want a clone of Pikmin but you play as Moomin and gently caress up brigands with your army of hattifnatts.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SubNat posted:

Moomin and family life

I'm pretty curious what Sniff is stringing on that thread, they look far too large to be a normal berry necklace.

I do love how Tove Jansson said gently caress it and completely retconned the whole Moomin universe for the newspaper strips.
Actually, did she have any involvement with this thing?
Like Snork Maiden was already living with the Moomins when they first meet Sniff. And Snufkin was already an old friend of Moomin Dad when the books started. This comic make no sense and it owns.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SubNat posted:

Involvement? Her name is on each strip.
Falk is still on every Phantom strip so that doesn't mean much, but yeah. Fun facts.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SubNat posted:

Moomin and Family Life

Yarr, there be naked titties on that mermaid!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

Star Wars is breakin' hearts

Wet fart is a pretty good expletive when you can't figure out the lovely hyper drive, R2.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

Star Wars is an AT-AT with a handicapped tag

Oh no, I miss TANITH SHIRE already!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

FrumpleOrz posted:

Hagar The Horrible

Sorry but this is bullshit. Hagar is Al Bundy, only his job is awesome.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SubNat posted:

Moomin and Family Life

Toss a Snork to the Moomin
Oh valley of Stinky
Oh valley of Stinky

Toss a Snork to your Moomin
A friend of the Groke and thee.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Schedule's gonna be weird today so posting early

Bloom County
February 17th & 18th, 1981

I remember reading these strips as a kid and it was in Norwegian but they didn't bother to come up with a substitute. Neither I nor any other Norwegian would have known who the hell Betty Crocker was.
It's only years later that thanks to the Internet I can find the answer.

She's the wife of a republican president.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lol, Chewie is mackin on... whatever the hell that thing is. Whatever would Mara think?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wouldn't an X-Wing be better suited for a mission like this instead of a giant dildo?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

Star Wars is still going about this in very the wrong way

Now that we see it from an angle it actually makes a bit more sense. It's actually kinda cool even if it still looks like a dildo. Was gonna dub it the D-Wing but that name is already taken.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the taxi driver who just knows the cab is gonna get puked in.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus Christ, not only is it gory as hell but also shits on the bigly wet one. I bet it gets a ton of complaints form old farts and that's awesome.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

Star Wars is gettin' the heck outta here

I still don't quite understand the plan. What were they gonna do after getting past the shields. In the movie that big bastard got taken out by an A-Wing smashing into the bridge, but that doesn't sound likely. Maybe fire proton torpedoes at it?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Selachian posted:

Breathed hasn't posted a new strip since *checks* January 4, but says on FB that he's just taking a break.

And no, I didn't find it particularly good. It was more of the same Outland / Opus stuff -- the occasional decent gag but nowhere near the quality of Bloom County at its peak. Breathed had trouble sticking to a consistent schedule even when the strip was running, which didn't help.
To be fair he can do whatever he wants these days. He seems to mostly draw the strip for fun and isn't making any money off it (besides any eventual physical collection).

Also, I do agree that the newer strips aren't quite up to snuff but i did like the ark where the Basselope bit off Donald Trump Jr.s nose.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kennel posted:

Moomintroll and the End of the World

Aren't those the two assholes that stole from The Groke and started that whole mess? I guess it makes sense to bring along thieves in your adventure party but I still wouldn't trust them.
Now that I think about it Snufkin is obviously the bard but what are Moomin and Sniff? Warrior and useless piece of poo poo?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

How Wonderful! posted:

These are actually pretty nice realistic ways to help out a friend with a new baby coming, every new parent I know is super grateful whenever they can get an hour break even though they do of course love their new kid immensely. "Sanity savers" is kind of a goofy way of putting it but having even just an hour of space while your kid is taken care of by someone you trust is a huge boon to new parents. She could even cash it in a bunch at once and go out on a date! I think it's a rad gift.

Ditto covering meals for somebody going through something demanding and intense and time-consuming is a classic neighbor move-- I grew up in the burbs and definitely remembering neighbors coming over with lasagnas, pies, casseroles, etc., generally good left-overs food, whenever there was a death in the family or a long-term illness.

Even now if I have a friend who has lost a pet, had a new baby, is ill, etc., I usually find it a nice gesture to get them a pizza delivered or run over a plate of cookies or something.

Sorta related but I just checked the Facebook of the collective of four apartment buildings i belong to. The nice old lesbian couple in the next door hallway are offering to cook for anyone who gets hit by the Cornholio virus. They're not exactly spring chickens so I told them I could carry over any meals for them. There's also a lady willing to do laundry.
Turns out this shitshow is actually bringing out the best in us. This is Norway mind you, we all have the communal spirit ingrained deep down.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

A lot to pick up here. Sniff vomiting, Moomin being a loving racist and Snork Maiden is dead. This comic is going places.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 26, 1938)

For fucks sake, he's drinking salt water!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Right now I'm wondering how long it takes til some of these strips take self-quarantine into account. The world is going to poo poo and will they just ignore it?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 02, 1938)

Holy hell, it looks like he might actually be wearing pants! Merlin, you magnificent bastard, you finally did it!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zereth posted:

You could make an argument for Val tripping his rear end off from hallucinogenic plants in the garden, and that Le Fay's stuff is just her anxiety and poo poo over what Merlin's doing working overtime, but it'd be pretty strained. I'm in the "this is actual magic" camp.

I refuse to believe that there's ever been a piece of media that introduced God drat Merlin and there's no magic present. The exceptions being A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and Camelot 3000 of course.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kennel posted:

Moomintroll and the End of the World

Oh for fucks sake! Can you please put the next strips in spoiler and give a trigger warning? With the the whole world going to hell in a handbasket I just can't handle that loving thing right now.
It gave me trauma as a kid.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

maltesh posted:

The only one that comes to mind for me is Transformers: The Last Knight, but that probably disqualifies itself by the Clarke clause.

Ah gently caress, you got me and it's on a Transformers one.
Be that as it may, unless anything with Merlin in it says otherwise it's effin magic.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure if you offer up a couple of bottles of moonshine even the yokel cops in Finland today would do it.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Oh poo poo, that's Barbapappa, a famous Swedish childrens book and cartoon character. Netflix actually has it in Scandinavia.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BigglesSWE posted:

Pondus had for a loooong time some rather homophobic streaks, but I think he's toned down that stuff a bit. Considering the way he portrays conservative movements in general, I've taken it more of a "macho manly man scared of gay" rather than genuine hate. But what do I know.
The real shame about Øverli is that his art used to be so much drat better. Deep poo poo Junkies and Pyton were god drat treasures even with all the racism, homophobia and rear end humour.

Oh and I found two covers for the thread. Pyton started in Norway because the creators were fed up with censorship from the people publishing Norwegian Mad Magazine.

E: Here's a racist one. Sorry about that.

Lodin fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 10, 2020

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

amigolupus posted:

One thing I notice is that despite coming from a wealthy family, Cesar seems to be wearing a pretty tattered coat. Is he one of those lovely people who dresses up in homeless chic?
Cesar is a hipster scumbag that plays at being a suffering bohem artist.

JethroMcB posted:

Yeah, goddamn those MAD Magazine types for not letting Alfred E. Newman beat a black man to death on the cover of their magazine

Nah, the rebellion mostly started because they couldn't draw ladies with bare tiddies.
It might be worth mentioning that most of the content in the magazine was from the American version. Stuff like Spy vs. Spy and Sergio Aragones worked well obviously. Also the movie parodies from Mort Drucker (RIP) were easy to translate. The problem appeared when you had a two-pager with jokes about politicians that weren't the President. That didn't work because people here didn't know who those people were. That's when they would print Norwegian originals instead.

Oh and funny story, for the first issue of Pyton they had a big upside down drawing of Alfred E. Newman on the backside. The people at stores would mess up when stocking and put the comics with that side out and people would inadvertently be buying the first issue of the comic.
The American publisher threatened to sue them for copyright infringement.

Lodin fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 10, 2020

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

While it's really well drawn it's so bloody wordy. Since when do people in Finland speak so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh no! I managed to find the old forbidden Zelda strip that got me probed for a week when I posted it in the Politoon thread. I'll make sure to do it right this time.

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/bIigTt8.jpg:nws:

Guy: Oh how I love natural women and don't like blonde babes. Yadda yadda yadda.
Zelda: Excuse me, I just have to wee a little bit.