Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
1) Super Mario 3D Land. 295 star coins and all the levels cleared but i apparently im missing something cause the photo i got at the end was peach trapped again.
will update as soon as i get all golden flags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
1) Super Mario 3D Land: 301 star coins, apparently i forgot to check some of those Question Mark Block stages that appear on the map screen... i assume they refresh and can give you more coins cause 301 is a weird number. Got all the gold flags and finished the game with luigi for what i assume was the photograph needed for 100% completion, then i noticed i had a mario logo and a luigi logo on the map screen for that stage, i guess i have to finish every stage as luigi now? oh well...

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

Just finishing up my run of 夏色ハイスクール★青春白書 ~転校初日のオレが幼馴染と再会したら報道部員にされていて激写少年の日々スクープ大連発でイガイとモテモテなのに何故かマイメモリーがパンツ写真ばっかりという電実と向き合いながら考えるひと夏の島の学園生活と赤裸々な恋の行方。~ (Summer-Colored High School ★ Adolescent Record – A Summer At School On An Island Where I Contemplate How The First Day After I Transferred, I Ran Into A Childhood Friend And Was Forced To Join The Journalism Club Where While My Days As A Paparazzi Kid With Great Scoops Made Me Rather Popular Among The Girls, But Strangely My Camera Is Full Of Panty Shots, And Where My Candid Romance Is Going.)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
2) Jazzpunk Director's Cut: pretty fun and some stylish visuals at times

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
1) Super Mario 3D Land

2) SEUM: Speedrunners From Hell. (100%) I remember buying this years ago because the gameplay on the Steam store video looked good. Played for an hour or so thinking it was very good then never played again.
Tried it again a couple days ago and apparently my save was gone, so I decided to full clear it. Very clever movement mechanics especially the teleport ability which was extremely fun to play with, and the way they sometimes play by interacting with each other is surprising and smart. Some of the collectable secrets were very fun and they remind me of that exploration style from jumping in the scenery in Counter Strike hoping to reach out of bound areas. As soon as I got done with it all (though I'm still missing a couple things for true 666%) I purchased the DLC

2.5) DLC. 3 new powerups; rocket jumping, a rad air boost and light/dark world switching. Doesn't use the rewind mechanic from the main campaign which i thought could have been cool with the world switching, and the rocket jumping they introduced is very basic and lacks nuance, but still, extremely worth it as it's cheap and adds 30 levels. Still missing a few things to 100% this.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh and also it reminds me a bit of lovely planet in its speed oriented design and constant leaderboards. farewell.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
3) RE2

Leon A/Claire B

people always say this is the gold standard of the series but saying that when REmake exists seems dumb. I like though how they seem to give you enough ammo to actually use your weapons and go a bit wild if you want. Also they're extremely generous with the ribbons, i finished both scenarios with 20 to spare, which for a first time player seems way too high. Died twice on Leon, and once on Claire, too, which is potatoes compared to how much i ate poo poo on REmake. Also the police station is pretty good but its over real fast, and each key unlocks like 2 doors, making it so deciding which key to carry is a bit less of a gamble, because you just exhaust their uses before getting the next one

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 18, 2020

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
also during my claire playthrough the game crashed twice and then started spitting oiut error boxes (but not crashing?) so i played it safe and saved a ton

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Arcane Dimensions: this is absolute insanity and its very very good

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the x games make total like 3 good games combined so you didnt really miss out on much

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Baxate posted:

Metroid Zero Mission

incredibly good poo poo

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Lotta heart for IT to call anyone a freak lmao

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

Trouble with the trolley eh?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
4) Megaman Zero: this was not very good. Started 2 which seems a billion times better.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I go back to that game every month or so. Those achievements are pretty crazy

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Doom 2016

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
thy flesh consumed is rear end dont play it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i'll will check it out

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Is w1010 best on switch or pa4?

thats a lot of wonderfuls

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

The Gallery - Episode 1: Call of the Starseed. Cool music, cool ending, the cartoony characters were really out of place in an otherwise realistic art style

out the corner of my eye i thought your avatar was a lady with a tarantula climbing on her head

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
1) Super Mario 3D Land
2) SEUM: Speedrunners From Hell.
3) RE2
4) Arcane Dimensions
5) Megaman Zero
6) Doom 2016

7) Freedom Planet: Had it installed and was like "I need to beat more games". This wasnt very good. Weird mishmash of sonic, sparkster and treasure games that didnt have much of an identitiy other than bad cutscenes and voice acting. sprite work is pretty good but the environments barring one or two are forgettable. theres a cool chinese level where you run on pagodas then inside a shopping mall. the bosses were almost all hard hitters but have like 3 patterns each, so once you learn that they become short boring, and the ones that arent short are tedious. i feel bad saying this since i know one of the composers but no tracks really stood out to me. they gave it their all but it just wasnt very good.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

elf help book posted:

i agree with what youre saying but for some reason im still really looking forward to the sequel

with a bigger fanbase comes more budget, and with more experience comes a better game. which if delayed is eventually good
-Gunpei Yokoi

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
[quote="ArfJason" post="506206059"]
1) Super Mario 3D Land
3) RE2
4) Arcane Dimensions
5) Megaman Zero
6) Doom 2016
7) Freedom Planet

8) yoku's island express (92%) gonna go for 100%, will probably have it in an hour or so. game is clever but due to being pinball theres very little freedom in mobility at times (you can tell some bumpers just set you on a predefined path despite your velocity/position on the bumper) and also since its pinball you have to wait a lot on every mistake, making some stuff a bit onerous. despite this its really great, and recommended. great artwork too, makes me think of a lower budget rayman origins/legends

e: 100%d it. some of those hidden collectables were a bit tricky. also i had to mash the noisemaker button a couple times to get the final achievement. overall good game.

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 7, 2020

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
1) Super Mario 3D Land
3) RE2
4) Arcane Dimensions
5) Megaman Zero
6) Doom 2016
7) Freedom Planet
8) Yoku's Island Express 100%

9) JUMPGRID: had this game in my sights for a while, cause cheap, and i like bright colors and the idea seemed neat. its super short, ovbiously, but also theres a couple stages that are a lot less about fast reactions than just memorizing the pattern, and its intentionally so. you can memorize movements on every stage if you want but theres some where you HAVE to follow the pattern, and some that just make you wait an eternity which blow balls. with a more strict filter on what stages make it in it could have been a much better experience but it would probably have lasted like 40 minutes if that. i dunno how far you can push the gameplay concept, but id like to see the guy making this give it a better more inventive try cause when it works its pretty nice

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
yeah i started Amid Evil today too and while theres cool poo poo i like the movement a bit less, but my problem is that i am hardwired to love anything that moves like hl1 so if the game wont let me airstrafe like im used to i go ape

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
yeah dusk let you bunnyhop for insane speeds. i should bind jump to scrollwheel in amid and see if that does anything

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

1) Super Mario 3D Land
3) RE2
4) Arcane Dimensions
5) Megaman Zero
6) Doom 2016
7) Freedom Planet
9) JUMPGRID

10?) Slay the Spire: got my first clear with the ironclad. i mean i saw the credits but if what im told is correct theres more floors. i dont know what qualifies as beating it so im putting it tentatively here

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
1) Super Mario 3D Land
3) RE2
4) Arcane Dimensions
5) Megaman Zero
6) Doom 2016
7) Freedom Planet
9) JUMPGRID
10?) Slay the Spire:
a) sword guy
b) poison lady: took me a couple tries but once i got the hang of her i got it. all ascencion 0 ofc. still worfking on orb robot

11) Katamari Damacy REROLL: since i never owned a ps2 i convinced a friend to download it an i played the first couple stages only. now that its on steam and thanks to goonerosity, i finally got this decade long wish granted. didn't 100%, just did the main levels and a couple side ones. this is still as good a game as it was back then. i envy those who played it as a kid and had it influence them.

12) SUPERHOT: really rad, and doesnt overstay its welcome which is good cause i feel its kind of a one trick pony. i luckily bought it a week before the pseudosequel came out which means i got it for free literally just as i finished the campaign on this one. for the secrets it does the exact kind of poo poo i love in games which is let you climb decorative elements and explore the outside areas, only here its intended, which is a thing i loved about one of the next games

13) lovely planet 2: i was a bit disappointed that the game was so easy, i reached the credits in a little over an hour. thankfully they went psycho mode on the extra chapter which i've yet to clear, some levels taking me half an hour to triple star (i do the three stars at once cause its fail to do them separately. thats for lovely noobs)

14) Amid Evil: its alright. some really cool architecture, but at the end, it was not as good as Dusk imo. doesnt have a bunny jump, and i often forgot i even had the sword. at least the shotgun analogue, the crystal mace thing, felt really great to use, which was my goto wep. some of the later chapters were really cool, and i love the aesthetic of low res textures with fuckin crazy shaders on top. this with ray tracing would look dope

15) Supraland (100%): I have my eye on this game for the better part of a year and holy poo poo did it not disappoint. its made mostly by two insane germans, with one doing the texture and model work and the other doing everything else.
I know indie metroidvanias are overdone, but please, if you like the genre at all, you should give this a shot. It does one of my favourite things in games in that it lets you jump on basically any surface to explore the walls that keep you in areas and not only that it rewards you with upgrades for it. The setting is really good because you know how in metroidvanias you see idk, hooks everywhere, or flowerbeds and you *know* youll get a grappling hook or a thing to plant seeds to grow platforms or whatever? This game does have that, but the setting makes things that seemed completely haphazard and arbitrary to get a completely new meaning when you get a couple upgrades, which is a feeling i had missed from when i first played the metroids and i feel few games give a poo poo about concealing better. there is no term for this, but whatever it is, the fact that i could be surprised by a mobility upgrade like this shows me that this game is incredible fuckin sick and please play it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

Supraland kinda reminded me of a game you would come up with when you were in school bullshitting with your friends about how you were gonna make a game. It's really refreshing and novel. The DLC isn't quite as good; much of the things that made the first great are kinda left by the wayside, but it's still pretty fun and they wanted to try something new and find out what works and what doesn't and they're most likely going to take what they learned into the next DLC and the sequel.

im glad, and even though i hear its bad i really wanna try that dlc sometime. is a sequel confirmed?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

It's just in the 'planning/brainstorming' phases but he's got a kickstarter up and supposedly Supraland sold waaaaay beyond expectations so

im glad, it was a really great surprise. i heard it was neat, and while i was optimistic i did not expect it to go so far beyond expectations. even with the combat being a bit of a slog i think its fantastic so if they can iron that out in the sequel itd be insanely great. i still cant believe one of the gun upgrades is UT's shock rifle lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i wanna play that

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
yea the final boss is pretty bad. dude hired a combat designer to improve on the regular combat and hopefully the bosses too. theres an interview on gamasutra that said more or less exactly the same thing i said about being cleverer about hiding "red blocks" to use your "red power" or "grapple flowers" for your "grapple hook" and such, even if its still there in some ways

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
on my post about supraland i talked specifically about that powerup. so cool.

how did you enjoy it ee

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I got pissed off when i solved the supraball players sidequest only to have him tell me tech i learned a couple hours later in front of his very own house lol

Also yeah the amount of poo poo you can get asap where you think youre breaking the game wide open by scaling geometry owns so much i must have gotten like 30% of all that before i got the 3rd jump by sheer stubbornness and cube based tech.
Also the credits song was cacthy haha

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
[quote="ArfJason" post="506831511"]
1) Super Mario 3D Land
3) RE2
4) Arcane Dimensions
5) Megaman Zero
6) Doom 2016
7) Freedom Planet
9) JUMPGRID
10?) Slay the Spire:
--a) sword guy
--b) poison lady
11) Katamari Damacy REROLL
12) SUPERHOT
13) lovely planet 2
14) Amid Evil
15) Supraland (100%)

16) Trackmania 2 Stadium Solo Campaign: apparently all my 40 hours of playtime were in online modes, so i decided to give the solo campaign a try and 40 hours later i got all the gold medals and have over half the stages with authors for about 84% solo completion. i feel like i might be reaching my limit soon, but so far, every sitting i knock out about 10 authors. multilap tracks are a nightmare and i think i only got a single author of those

17) GADGET: Invention, Travel & Adventure: interactive prerendered adventure ala myst from the 90s that apparently was a big inspiration for marc laidlaw on the writing of half life, and some stuff seems to be very directly taken from it. calling it an adventure game is probably a misnomer, i guess its some kind of visual novel, theres no puzzles really to speak of, has a minimal story, and theres some surreal happenings all in a retrofuturistic setting.
has that unsettling air that only early 90s cgi renders can manage, coupled with some hilarious moments of clicking open a door only to see an awful render of a dude staring at you completely stiff looking like a dumbass. im gonna try the second game soon.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
1) Super Mario 3D Land
3) RE2
4) Arcane Dimensions
5) Megaman Zero
6) Doom 2016
7) Freedom Planet
9) JUMPGRID
10?) Slay the Spire:
--a) sword guy
--b) poison lady
12) SUPERHOT
13) lovely planet 2
14) Amid Evil
15) Supraland (100%)
16) Trackmania 2 Stadium Solo Campaign all gold
17) GADGET: Invention, Travel & Adventure

18) Into The Breach: Normal 2 islands. i dunno if you can call that beating the game but the credits rolled. buying the skill that lets you move every unit in one direction of your choosing and upgrading it to have unlimited uses was the absolute best decision i made in the entire game

3 and 4 islands done!!!

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 8, 2020

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i did it

between these i died learning the 3rd island

and between these died learning the 4th island

thinking about whether or not i wanna try new teams or go for hard mode with the one i am familiar with

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 8, 2020

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Rock My Socks! posted:

I haven’t played this in like 3 years but just charged up my 3DS To try to finish it. Special 7-2 is kicking my rear end.

the one time i remembered having a big problem was finding that one coin in the snow level, you know the one. its complete bullshit and they never do something like that in the game before or after that could indicate that kind of secert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
1) Super Mario 3D Land
3) RE2
4) Arcane Dimensions
5) Megaman Zero
6) Doom 2016
7) Freedom Planet
9) JUMPGRID
10?) Slay the Spire: -- a) sword guy -- b) poison lady
12) SUPERHOT
13) lovely planet 2
14) Amid Evil
15) Supraland (100%)
16) Trackmania 2 Stadium Solo Campaign all gold
17) GADGET: Invention, Travel & Adventure
18) Into The Breach: Normal 2-3-4 islands

19) Portal 2 coop. I remember i played some of it with two different people ages ago but never got super far. turns out i was only like 6 chambers away from completing it, not counting the extra chapter they added. It was stupidly easy unfortunately, with the exception of two or three puzzles, which were real headscratchers. not immediately knowing what to do as soon as you enter a room reminded me exactly how it felt to play both portals for the first time. it really sucks how little lifeblood there really is to these games, cause once you get down to it, theres not really much to do with portals. p1 was smart to not overstay its welcome and basically do every trick you can do with portals a couple times. p2 really had no choice but to introduce new gimmicks, which worked great, but once again, it was all too easy to puzzle out. this really comes to a head if u played as much custom content for p1 as i did, and trying some of the custom stages in p2. you just notice the same tricks you used in the main game's campaigns, but now theyre just shuffled about, without any of the novelty, writing or atmosphere. i understand why valve wanted to make portal-less game for the sequel. coop really freshened it up a bit with what tricks you can do, and while it was easy, it really felt like a nostalgic trip to find puzzles i hadnt solved before and which managed to stump me. after all this, i really dont think a portal 3 should or will ever happen. what else is there to do anyway