Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

1. The Turing Test. Mediocre Portal/Talos style puzzle game with bad story and puzzles. one and a half stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

2. Loom. i've been putting off playing that one for like 15 years but turns out it's only 2 hours long. it's charming.

3. Dai Gyakuten Saiban. It was alright, the first couple of cases were bullshit but the others are decent. It felt more like the Layton crossover than a main series AA game. Very polished though and the fan translation is good. Three stars out of five

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Evil Eagle posted:

it was made by john romero in 6 hours, that's why it's so good

if you dont play thy flesh consumed at least play that map it's cool

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

4. Doom
5. Doom II
playing TNT Evilution now and theres a LOT of hitscan bullshit..

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

In Training posted:

15. The Portopia Serial Murder Case. I had to use a guide to finish this bc there's three pieces of evidence that are just completely blind pixel hunts that I never would have found on my own. Incredibly cool game though, thank you based fan translators keeping gems like this alive.

what version did you play

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

In Training posted:

The NES version with the romhackingdotnet fan tl. The finale was awesome

ty. played a little yesterday and it's neat

mysterious loyall X posted:

tnt evilution is pretty bad. plutonia experiment is maybe a bit better but not much.

im playing Plutonia now and it's a lot better imo. i'm not far in but the first "episode" is good

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

6. Final Doom. Plutonia was way cooler than TNT imho and it aged pretty well for having been made in 1996. I'm done with the "official" wads maybe Sigil next

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

thanks for the rec's. i'm playing Going Down now and it's great so far, loved the time travel map where you do stuff in the present to open secrets in the future. i'm not very good so idk if I can play the really hard wads like sunlust/sunder and stuff like that. scythe comes up a lot so i'll probably give that a try too.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

7. Scythe. The first two eps are really fun to play through, compact maps with a few neat ideas and very fair difficulty. Last episode gets much harder without being too frustrating except for a couple of massive slaughter maps, map 30 especially. Return to Saturn X next

Maya Fey fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 27, 2020

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

8. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth. I like the investigation mechanics and the characters in this game but the cases are just average and they drag on a bit. I liked the tiny sprites.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

9. Doom the Way Id Did. It's a 3-episode Doom wad that tries to emulate the original Doom's mapping style. As a result it's mostly big, sparsely populated maps that look ugly and get kinda boring imo but it was nice to breeze through it whenever i get frustrated in gd

i started playing going down on hmp and keeping weapons between levels because i'm bad. unless i die then ive been forcing pistol start by warping it's sick as heck can't believe i didn't try it years ago fuuuu. the concept of clearing out the uac hq being run by demons is pretty funny and cute, and the levels and spawns up to 12 or w/e i'm on have been extremeley clever without being lovely traffic jams where you blow yourself up with the bazooka. doom ftw

i had to lower to HMP halfway through and it's kicking my rear end

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

10. Helltaker. Free meme game that's really short and plays like any mobile puzzle game. Some might say the epic anime demon babes are very sexy and make them horny. Not me though. 3/5

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Arrhythmia posted:

The Witcher

Parts of it were ancient 2007 pre-darksouls garbo, but there was something legitimately charming and enjoyable that kept me until the end. Best dialogue line goes to: "I said you would be damned if you pissed upwind. Now you have pissed into a tornado."

i heard there's a cool detective quest or something but everytime i try to play it i can't deal with the controls and quit 10 minutes in

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

11. Blasphemous. it was alright but the combat is really dull and sometimes it feels like the enemies and abilities/weapons were designed independently so they don't really work together. levels are pretty samey too. the lore/music/art and some bosses are cool though so i did beat the game and get the good ending and collected a bunch of stuff. 3/5

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

EmmyOk posted:

Dark Souls 2: It didn't have the highs of dark souls but it did actually have many of the lows. Could be insanely frustrating in parts but I played it for 120 hours so either it's good or I have had a total brain collapse.

i bought it twice and played 100+ hours and i hate it

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

12. Tacoma. Not much to say about that one it's 2 hours long and it's another one of those games where you explore an abandoned space station trying to figure out what the deal is with the AI

13. Half Life 2. That game is way longer than i remembered it especially the beginning when they're showing off the Physics for 3 hours. Found this cool fact on the wiki page :

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

14. Outer Wilds. Really enjoyed this, I can't think of another adventure game I've enjoyed more in the past 10 years or so.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

15. Observer. boring soma-like kind of thing with rutger hauer as a cybercop. it reminded me of the old fmv game Ripper but nowhere near as entertaining

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Arrhythmia posted:

Agreed, but, it was also free on the epic game store

:cheers:

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

16. Shadow of the Tomb Raider. This game's pretty but it's really dull, even if you're in the mood for clearing map markers.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

17. Peggle Deluxe (adventure mode). Some of the Peggle Masters' magic powers are kinda bullshit tbh..

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

18. Alien Isolation. Not the best stealth game but I love it anyway. Thank you Sega

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

American McGay posted:

Yeah it's wildly obtuse even for the genre. I have a ton of nostalgia for it because it was one of the few PC games I had growing up and I recently went back to play it and I had trouble getting past the first screen lol.

i only played the first one and it's very cute. i looked it up and apparently they made another game in 2009 and it looks like this

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

19. Gobliiins
20. A Short Hike

Maya Fey fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 17, 2020

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

21. Portal. First time I play this since the Orange Box days. The main mechanic is still really cool but the puzzles don't really exploit it in an interesting way imo. Pretty cool how the Source engine still does the classic crash-with-looping-sound every 20 minutes or so

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Frenz posted:

street fighter alpha 3 (mame) 1cc

that sounds fun. i played 3s single player a while ago and Gill absolutely kicked my rear end over and over

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

In Training posted:

I wish they ever made more Co-Op levels from 2, that poo poo was supremely fun to puzzle out with a friend.

the co-op puzzles in 2 were the only real puzzles in it, most of the sp game you're just looking for that one bit of wall you can stick a portal on

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i got 100% in thps 1+2 in the 1+2 parks. bye. boy howdy is the music awful. i forgot how terrible most oft he songs were. the ataris. less than jake. that another saturday song with the awful singer. just wretcherd stuff. not to mention ALL the really awful new music like the british punk band taht says Insta. Tumblr. and the modern hip hop where everysong has the dj mustard "hey" sample. 10/10
it always reminds me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSaeGUCa-Yg

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

22. Control + DLC. Same as Alan Wake in that it’s cool and looks pretty but the combat gets really repetitive after a while. More fun to explore though

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

a Loving Dog posted:

its a really beautiful game wrt the environments. i liked it a lot, when i played it though the map was quite literally the most useless piece of poo poo i've ever seen in a game. i heard they fixed it in an update

The map was still annoying to use since they refuse to map floors separately. But yeah it looks great and apparently it only took 3 years to make? Alan wake still looks really good too imho.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

23. Far Cry 5. what if we made the entire game out of the FC2 checkpoints 2/5

24. Hades. ftw

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

25. Murdered: Soul Suspect. turns out everyone was right and this game is bad

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Sudden Javelin posted:

return of the obra dinn

ftw

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

26. Lamplight City

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

27. The Witness, a game by Jonathan Blow

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

how was it? i haven't played the devs other games but it seems to have been pretty well received

it's alright, not as good as similar games like Blackwell or Kathy Rain imo but still a decent detective game. one thing to know is you can actually mess up and make a case unsolvable (by picking the wrong dialogue option for example) so cycle your saves!!

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

trying to jack off posted:

kathy rain kind of sucked so I'm taking that as a warning

it depends on what you didn't like about kathy rain, if it's the twin peaks stuff at the end there's none of that in lamplight city, i'm comparing them because you're investigating stuff like a normal person would and not just solving ludicrous inventory puzzles. i guess a better comparison would be the later Sherlock games because you can mess up cases and there's red herrings etc.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

28. Dead Space

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

29. Dead Space 3 :chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

30. The Last of Us 2