Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Pretty sure suddenly Susan is referenced in an episode of Seinfeld so there’s it’s cultural footprint.

Kathy Griffin was on an episode of Seinfeld but I don’t remember a reference. NewsRadio definitely referenced it in a bit where Joe says to Beth that every office has a redheaded secretary.

It always annoyed me how NBC pushed all those garbage-tier sitcoms and left NewsRadio to rot.

25 years later and I’m still bitter because I’m a well adjusted person with my priorities in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Slamhound posted:

Kathy Griffin was on an episode of Seinfeld but I don’t remember a reference. NewsRadio definitely referenced it in a bit where Joe says to Beth that every office has a redheaded secretary.

It always annoyed me how NBC pushed all those garbage-tier sitcoms and left NewsRadio to rot.

25 years later and I’m still bitter because I’m a well adjusted person with my priorities in order.

But if NewsRadio had been more successful and long-lasting, maybe Joe Rogan wouldn't have gone into podcasting... wait....

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

suddenly susan was a mildy forgettable but enjoyable sitcom, it was really sad when david strickland passed away though, he was the best part of it by a long shot

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

suddenly susan was a mildy forgettable but enjoyable sitcom, it was really sad when david strickland passed away though, he was the best part of it by a long shot

Andy Dick again!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wish it had been Andy Dick

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

From the complete opposite end of the celebrity personality spectrum

https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/1293314301168476162

This is both sweet and funny and Chris Elliot's beard is not to be missed

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

zoux posted:

This absolutely rules

that photo with John Candy too

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

zoux posted:

This was very sweet. I really loved the ice cube story. So incredibly relatable. Also Eugene Levy just rules.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

20th Century Fox TV is no more, Disney is re-branding it Touchstone TV.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-53747270

It's going to be loving weird to not have the Simpsons closing credits punctuated by the Fox fanfare.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just get rid of all Fox branding, it's a poison. Even if this Fox has nothing to do with Fox News.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GreenNight posted:

Just get rid of all Fox branding

Is what the article said they did? They already got rid of 20th Century Fox movie studio branding earlier in the year. The TV branding was the only thing that was left.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/blader/status/1292592128086822912

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 12, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I honestly don't love it. The new bit steps on the old bit to the point where you can barely hear it.

GreenNight posted:

Just get rid of all Fox branding, it's a poison. Even if this Fox has nothing to do with Fox News.

Poor William Fox :(

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
there's a dark, gritty reboot coming.. for Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fresh-prince-bel-air-reboot-190000136.html

By Will Smith and the same person who made this fan film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD3ISIM_kU8

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 12, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Speaking of gritty reboot, the two creators of Avatar The Last Airbender announced they are leaving the live-action Netflix series basically due to creative differences? Doesn't sound good. That's rough buddy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If I were Netflix I simply would not make live action ATLA

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

TheAardvark posted:

there's a dark, gritty reboot coming.. for Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fresh-prince-bel-air-reboot-190000136.html

I love me some Fresh Prince and I will totally give this a shot. Two things need to be included to make me happy with it though- New Carlton better dance as well as Alfonso and Uncle Phil must throw New Jazz out the front door often.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mu Zeta posted:

Speaking of gritty reboot, the two creators of Avatar The Last Airbender announced they are leaving the live-action Netflix series basically due to creative differences? Doesn't sound good. That's rough buddy.

They've had plenty of misfires in the almost two decades since Avatar started, maybe it's for the best the show is doing it's own thing instead of being a vehicle for them to relive their glory days.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TheAardvark posted:

I was all set to roll my eyes when I clicked on that but I'm impressed, it actually works.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mu Zeta posted:

Though, either they are being diplomatic to not poison the well or things may not be so dire.

quote:

Still, he added that the Netflix show “has the potential to be good.” It just won’t be what he had in mind.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1293634913103683584

lmao how are network TV writers going to do procedurals without being able to lean on gross civil rights violations

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Brooklyn Nine Nine people said some stuff that made it sound like they're gonna try and massively change up and address issues. I have no idea what that looks like but I'm kind of curious.

I have no idea how a serious hour long cop serial would do it but I don't watch those anymore so meh.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

If I were Netflix I simply would not make live action ATLA

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

quote:

If I were Netflix I simply would make a dark gritty live action ATLA starring Will Smith

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Brooklyn Nine Nine people said some stuff that made it sound like they're gonna try and massively change up and address issues. I have no idea what that looks like but I'm kind of curious.

I have no idea how a serious hour long cop serial would do it but I don't watch those anymore so meh.

Just turn it into The Wire season 6.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Can't remember where I saw it, but someone suggested that they lost a bet and are firefighters now, no further explanation given.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
So, I've been rewatching True Blood with the understanding that it is Golden Age HBO's Scream Queens and...it's really, really good. :hmmyes:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I genuinely like the first 3 or 4 seasons, but holy poo poo did it go down hill.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It didn't stay good but the show is always fun as poo poo.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I was mad at it for not being a ~Serious HBO Drama~ at the time...I guess I was expecting Vampires of Thrones.

Now that I know it's just camp with incredible production values, I'm lovin' it! :woop:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Pam rules.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

So, I've been rewatching True Blood with the understanding that it is Golden Age HBO's Scream Queens and...it's really, really good. :hmmyes:

True Blood is so loving good

Looten Plunder posted:

I genuinely like the first 3 or 4 seasons, but holy poo poo did it go down hill.

True

GreenNight posted:

It didn't stay good but the show is always fun as poo poo.

But also very true. The only season I would argue is ever boring is the last one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

never forget AIDS burger

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
After binging all of Scrubs, we just tried the first episode of Cougar Town, hoping it would have similar humor since it's from the same creator. Also, my wife really liked Christa Miller as Jordan in Scrubs, so she was the big draw.

After that first episode, does it improve?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm watching band of brothers for the first time and is there any war film or show that even comes close to the action scenes here? the cinematography during the battle scenes is perfect. it's just energetic and frenetic enough that it makes you feel scared and stilted but you can still tell what's going on. i find it near impossible to watch any action film today given how impossible it is to follow the action scenes. they're way too fast moving and scattered and almost strobe light effect.

this is pretty much the perfect balance and i'd love to see anything that comes close.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

After binging all of Scrubs, we just tried the first episode of Cougar Town, hoping it would have similar humor since it's from the same creator. Also, my wife really liked Christa Miller as Jordan in Scrubs, so she was the big draw.

After that first episode, does it improve?

Yeah I remember enjoying it. Courtney Cox gets some questionable plastic surgery somewhere during that run though and it is distracting.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

abelwingnut posted:

i'm watching band of brothers for the first time and is there any war film or show that even comes close to the action scenes here? the cinematography during the battle scenes is perfect. it's just energetic and frenetic enough that it makes you feel scared and stilted but you can still tell what's going on. i find it near impossible to watch any action film today given how impossible it is to follow the action scenes. they're way too fast moving and scattered and almost strobe light effect.

this is pretty much the perfect balance and i'd love to see anything that comes close.

I always liked "When Trumpets Fade"

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

abelwingnut posted:

The go to answer when this comes up is the follow up The Pacific.

Generation Kill is definitely up there as well.

Saving Private Ryan obviously.

I was always partial to how well staged Black Hawk Down was. The establishing shots whenever they would return to a group of soldiers were really effective at conveying the action and establishing where they are at and what they are up against.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Side note, I assume BoB is on BluRay? Is it pretty?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Pacific has some really confusing battle scenes. A lot of them are at night. In fact I can't even tell a lot of the soldiers apart during the daytime either since only like 2 characters get any development in the whole series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, seconding The Pacific and 1917. My first time viewing The Pacific I judged it unfairly because I really wanted a direct thematic sequel to Band of Brothers, but it’s a slightly different beast. Still extremely good though, just not quite S-Tier like BoB. And 1917 is probably the best war movie in recent memory where I was fully engrossed in what was happening the entire way through. I’ve held off rewatching it because there’s no way it’ll hit me emotionally the same way as that first viewing.

Dunkirk is also very good but, again, it’s a different beast from BoB.