Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Around 2005 or so I wanted to buy the X Files on DVD because I wanted to watch it for the first time without dealing with missing episodes on the whims of the sci fi channel rerun schedule. It was 300 goddamn dollars, so I ended up just dealing with the sci fi channel. I bitch about streaming being so fragmented but for what it costs and what you get it’s so much better than it was.

I sold a taped copy of the first episode of the original run of Cupid for $50 because it was the only one missing from a digitized archive of the show. The DAP maybe? Anyways, if you downloaded that old Rob Thomas show I supplied the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm definitely of the opinion that we're in the golden age of access. This feels like exactly what people were hoping for 10 years ago for a la carte services, it just that the reality is not without its inconveniences and cases of businesses trying to turn a profit. But I'm able to subscribe and cancel to services on a monthly basis to pick and choose what I watch, 90% of the content is available with a <$10 monthly service charge, and the biggest regular inconvenience for me is having to switch out my dongles now and then because I don't have enough USB ports on the tv. There's still stuff I can't access without some bigger investment. I still really want to watch Mr. Mercedes but it seems like I'll have to buy that on DVD to do so. But there's so many alternatives available that like I'll never not have an excuse to just not do that and watch something else. I'm never gonna watch everything available to me I'm interested in.

I don't think I'm even mad about the + era. Sure, it would be better if everything was on Netflix and Hulu and I only had to do those two. But everything wasn't available and it feels like there's a lot more available as long as I just stick to the "one slot a month" rule where I can't subscribe to a new one until I cancel the existing one. That's served me well these last couple of years.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
One thing I really like about Hulu and Amazon prime is the channels you can add, that’s something the golden age of Netflix never had. Being able to pay a little extra and get access to shows when they air kicks rear end.

Also, goon that wants to see Mr Mercedes, it’s up for purchase on Amazon Video. It only went up last fall. Dropping twenty bucks on a season of TV kind of sucks now but it’s totally worth it for that show, it’s really well done.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Amazon channels IS the reason why FireTV doesn't have Peacock and HBO Max though. I suspect CBS-All access to go away when they rebrand Paramount+.

I do like the concept, but we're going to be moving increasingly away from unified storefronts.

The pieces that I hate most right now about this digital age is the continual lack of participation in Movies Anywhere by Paramount, Lionsgate, and MGM and also the lack of any equivalent for TV shows (which ultraviolet did cover to a certain extent).

I've actually ceased purchasing Paramount titles altogether since their digital versions are trapped forever in one storefront.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also, goon that wants to see Mr Mercedes, it’s up for purchase on Amazon Video. It only went up last fall. Dropping twenty bucks on a season of TV kind of sucks now but it’s totally worth it for that show, it’s really well done.
Yeah, a purchase seems like the only way its gonna happen. Which like, I'm fine with but there's always something else I'm already paying for to distract me.

Well that's not true, I could probably borrow it from my library but 3 days to binge a season is too much pressure.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, a purchase seems like the only way its gonna happen. Which like, I'm fine with but there's always something else I'm already paying for to distract me.

Well that's not true, I could probably borrow it from my library but 3 days to binge a season is too much pressure.

It’s good but you’re definitely not going to watch it in 3 days, it’s not really paced for that.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Homicide: Life on the Street still isn't available to stream anywhere, so the golden age of streaming has yet to arrive.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wonder Years is finally streaming. That gives me faith the last few unicorns will make it some day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dream On will forever be in limbo

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I want a modern Dream On where the guy grew up on memes and tik tok

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

I want a modern Dream On where the guy grew up on memes and tik tok

MODS

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Just plug your computer/laptop into the TV and you don't need any other devices?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, look at that, Roku owners CAN watch Peacock while the world burns.

https://www.engadget.com/peacock-roku-agreement-222604757.html

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
gently caress it iI’m going to burn the world back. gently caress Trump and Moscow Mitch.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

nate fisher posted:

gently caress it iI’m going to burn the world back. gently caress Trump and Moscow Mitch.

Haha drat, "Moscow Mitch"? Did you come up with that yourself, that's freaking epic!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sleeveless posted:

Haha drat, "Moscow Mitch"? Did you come up with that yourself, that's freaking epic!

Can you not suck for five minutes or is that too much

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Man, I'm about halfway through Away, and they really aren't even trying to make the gravity/lack of gravity make sense. People walking around like normal one scene and then floating the next because they want to show off something

E: wait is the ship rotating the crew section? They just zoomed out for the first time 5 episodes in and it looks like it might be. I must have spaced out the explanation earlier

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 19, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah the big cylindrical section is zero G, the crew quarters are centrifugal.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Watching an episode of GI Joe for the first time since I was 8 for a research project and... this is rad as hell :confused:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GI Joe can be kind of weird. Like there is a two parter where Dusty quits the Joes and joins Cobra because the government insurance doesn't cover his mom who needs expensive medical care and Cobra will because they pay better. Which is a real as hell plot point but at the end they completely walk it back saying of course they actually would cover it and there whole thing was Dusty going undercover.

The episodes almost had some nuance but they cut it off at the knees.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not saying that this 80s kid show needed to be morally ambiguous and super dark but they shouldn't have introduced a morally ambiguous and realistic plot point if they weren't actually interested in following up on it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I've been watching Death Note on Netflix and realized that this is like the third show I've seen with a villain protagonist whose close family member is a cop. (Breaking Bad, Dexter).

I suppose its a useful trope since it gives a reason the protag can't just off them. Can anyone think of any other examples?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Watching an episode of GI Joe for the first time since I was 8 for a research project and... this is rad as hell :confused:

The (awesome) new G.I. Joe Classified action figures inspired me to revisit the cartoon this summer. I watched all four of the five-part miniseries: The M.A.S.S. Device, The Revenge of Cobra, Pyramid of Darkness, and Arise Serpentor Arise. When I was a kid, I thought these were the height of high-stakes drama and epic storytelling, but they hadn't aged as well as I hoped, at least not for me. All four miniseries were quests into exotic locales for "McGuffins," and most of the characters didn't get any development -- unlike Larry Hama's G.I. Joe comics, which were generally a lot better and hold up better reading them as an adult.

But the nostalgia is still strong for me. I bought the two new action figures I wanted most, Snake Eyes and the Baroness, and I'm really psyched to see what Hasbro releases next.

muscles like this! posted:

GI Joe can be kind of weird. Like there is a two parter where Dusty quits the Joes and joins Cobra because the government insurance doesn't cover his mom who needs expensive medical care and Cobra will because they pay better. Which is a real as hell plot point but at the end they completely walk it back saying of course they actually would cover it and there whole thing was Dusty going undercover.

The episodes almost had some nuance but they cut it off at the knees.

There is a really good, kind of heavy two-parter called Worlds Without End that I remembered from when I was a kid, and it held up better than all the miniseries.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 19, 2020

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

massive spider posted:

I've been watching Death Note on Netflix and realized that this is like the third show I've seen with a villain protagonist whose close family member is a cop. (Breaking Bad, Dexter).

I suppose its a useful trope since it gives a reason the protag can't just off them. Can anyone think of any other examples?

On The Americans the spy couple's next door neighbor is an FBI spy-catcher.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah I mean based on what I saw GI Joe was clearly a hastily-written kids show, but it was constantly throwing cool stuff at the screen in the episode I caught (The Germ). Lots of 80s Arnold one liners and genuinely funny wisecracks, lots of rad lasers, some really great set designs and inventive visuals, and weirdly intricate and intriguing worldbuilding. It's not like I'm going to sit down and watch the whole thing, but I'd definitely assumed it was a total trash cash-in toy commercial only well remembered because of action figure nostalgia. Basically it felt like everyone involved was trying way harder than they had to to make it cool.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 19, 2020

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The (awesome) new G.I. Joe Classified action figures inspired me to revisit the cartoon this summer. I watched all four of the five-part miniseries: The M.A.S.S. Device, The Revenge of Cobra, Pyramid of Darkness, and Arise Serpentor Arise. When I was a kid, I thought these were the height of high-stakes drama and epic storytelling, but they hadn't aged as well as I hoped, at least not for me. All four miniseries were quests into exotic locales for "McGuffins," and most of the characters didn't get any development -- unlike Larry Hama's G.I. Joe comics, which were generally a lot better and hold up better reading them as an adult.

But the nostalgia is still strong for me. I bought the two new action figures I wanted most, Snake Eyes and the Baroness, and I'm really psyched to see what Hasbro releases next.

There is a really good, kind of heavy two-parter called Worlds Without End that I remembered from when I was a kid, and it held up better than all the miniseries.

Was that the alternate world where cobra won and one of the Joes was in love/in a relationship with Baroness because the joe she loved from her world died?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Does Letterkenny start to tail off in the 5th season? The spelling bee episode had so much promise on the surface and man, was it bad.

(If you're watching through for the first time like me, the town has a highly contentious spelling bee where everyone has a lame gimmick; Joint Boy can only spell if he's baked, Reilly and Jonesy are a joint team whose only words are hockey-related (which, despite stringent adherence to the rules, somehow slips through the cracks), Stewart's words are all nefarious, McMurray's words are all muttered but, under review, can somehow be slowed down to intelligibility by Tanis, who's running a betting ring with Tyson and the hockey coach.)

It just felt...off. (e- This is also the season with the Jay Baruchel arc which felt out-of-place/shoehorned in.)

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 19, 2020

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

Was that the alternate world where cobra won and one of the Joes was in love/in a relationship with Baroness because the joe she loved from her world died?

Yea yea! The alternate Baroness was the leader of a secret resistance against Cobra, and instigating a rift between Cobra Commander and Destro. She had been in love with Steeler, who had been killed. Meanwhile, our Steeler was having major doubts about the never-ending violence and conflict, and had been bitten by an insect that made him freak out with hallucinations and fever. In the end, our Steeler, Grunt, and Clutch, three of the relatively generic original Joes, elected to stay behind and help Baroness continue the resistance movement, never to be able to return to our world.. That poo poo really affected me as a kid, since real consequences and sacrifices were rarely shown.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The '87 GI Joe animated movie still kicks rear end, even if they hastily walked back Duke's death.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I watched the third season of Search Party last night and it was pretty good. I liked how the show didn't shy away from showing how underhanded cop interrogation techniques are and how it was less about getting justice and more about just winning.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

CBJSprague24 posted:

Does Letterkenny start to tail off in the 5th season? The spelling bee episode had so much promise on the surface and man, was it bad.

(If you're watching through for the first time like me, the town has a highly contentious spelling bee where everyone has a lame gimmick; Joint Boy can only spell if he's baked, Reilly and Jonesy are a joint team whose only words are hockey-related (which, despite stringent adherence to the rules, somehow slips through the cracks), Stewart's words are all nefarious, McMurray's words are all muttered but, under review, can somehow be slowed down to intelligibility by Tanis, who's running a betting ring with Tyson and the hockey coach.)

It just felt...off. (e- This is also the season with the Jay Baruchel arc which felt out-of-place/shoehorned in.)

I did enjoy that the Alt-Right Jay arc concluded with the gang beating the poo poo out of him & his crew and running them out of town, but yes, I agree overall that it was around this time that the various antics started to feel very forced.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 19, 2020

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Laterite posted:

The '87 GI Joe animated movie still kicks rear end, even if they hastily walked back Duke's death.

The opening sequence of G.I. Joe: The Movie is one of my favorite things ever, and I watch it several times a year on Youtube to cheer myself up when I'm down. I haven't seen the actual movie since it debuted on television, but I remember hating all the Cobra-La stuff as a kid. Roadblock and Cobra Commander made an interesting odd couple, forced to work together to survive, but I hated how most of the Joes were reduced to background jobbers with no dialogue, and how one of my favorite characters, Chuckles, didn't get any lines either.

Numberwang!!!
Jul 24, 2019

CBJSprague24 posted:

Does Letterkenny start to tail off in the 5th season?

I gave up towards the end of season 4. The show has a lot of charm but it relies way WAAAAAAYYYYY too heavily on reoccurring jokes.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I'm definitely of the opinion that we're in the golden age of access. This feels like exactly what people were hoping for 10 years ago for a la carte services, it just that the reality is not without its inconveniences and cases of businesses trying to turn a profit. But I'm able to subscribe and cancel to services on a monthly basis to pick and choose what I watch, 90% of the content is available with a <$10 monthly service charge, and the biggest regular inconvenience for me is having to switch out my dongles now and then because I don't have enough USB ports on the tv. There's still stuff I can't access without some bigger investment. I still really want to watch Mr. Mercedes but it seems like I'll have to buy that on DVD to do so. But there's so many alternatives available that like I'll never not have an excuse to just not do that and watch something else. I'm never gonna watch everything available to me I'm interested in.

I don't think I'm even mad about the + era. Sure, it would be better if everything was on Netflix and Hulu and I only had to do those two. But everything wasn't available and it feels like there's a lot more available as long as I just stick to the "one slot a month" rule where I can't subscribe to a new one until I cancel the existing one. That's served me well these last couple of years.

One thing I miss from the DVD era is commentary tracks, special features, and deleted scenes. How come none of that stuff is ever available on streaming platforms? It is not like it would be hard to add, from a technical perspective anyway.

I know I can still buy DVD and Blu-Rays, but I don't want to do that when I am already paying to stream the movie/show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Commentary tracks I absolutely miss and would be easy as poo poo to put on streaming.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/Brian_7Park/status/1307344162006671360

Jesus christ Hamilton

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I have been watching the currently released episodes of Lovecraft Country and the cops are the scariest thing about a show featuring monsters and ghosts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

This methodology seems highly suspect.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Laterite posted:

I did enjoy that the Alt-Right Jay arc concluded with the gang beating the poo poo out of him & his crew and running them out of town, but yes, I agree overall that it was around this time that the various antics started to feel very forced.

That was the best possible payoff for Alt-Right Jay. The only other thing I enjoyed about those episodes was Wayne blurting out "You're a little fuckin' dramatic, eh?".

Numberwang!!! posted:

I gave up towards the end of season 4. The show has a lot of charm but it relies way WAAAAAAYYYYY too heavily on reoccurring jokes.

The wedding episode in S5 was fun ("'Chicken Dance'...or you're fuckin' DEAD") but it seems like that, at this point, they can't go one episode without leaning too hard on the word play which isn't fun anymore ("It's 10 degReese Witherspoons/10 degReese's Peanut Butter Cups out"). Reilly and Jonesy becoming Coaches for the women's hockey team seems to be going nowhere fast.

It's disappointing because drat, the first 2-3 seasons are fantastic stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CBJSprague24 posted:

That was the best possible payoff for Alt-Right Jay. The only other thing I enjoyed about those episodes was Wayne blurting out "You're a little fuckin' dramatic, eh?".

The wedding episode in S5 was fun ("'Chicken Dance'...or you're fuckin' DEAD") but it seems like that, at this point, they can't go one episode without leaning too hard on the word play which isn't fun anymore ("It's 10 degReese Witherspoons/10 degReese's Peanut Butter Cups out"). Reilly and Jonesy becoming Coaches for the women's hockey team seems to be going nowhere fast.

It's disappointing because drat, the first 2-3 seasons are fantastic stuff.

I think they’re putting episodes out too fast, if they took their time they’d be able to at least have some fresh ideas.