Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SimonChris posted:

One thing I miss from the DVD era is commentary tracks, special features, and deleted scenes. How come none of that stuff is ever available on streaming platforms? It is not like it would be hard to add, from a technical perspective anyway.

I know I can still buy DVD and Blu-Rays, but I don't want to do that when I am already paying to stream the movie/show.

A bunch of iTunes movies have commentary and special features. But I guess iTunes is purchasing and not streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
You can buy a lot of Netflix original shows on Blu Ray or DVD, a some of which do have commentary.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

I wonder how many people actual finished it. I never came back after the intermission.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
uhh, probably tons of people.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think they actually care if you don't finish, but I ended up watching it twice.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
A few years ago Netflix said they considered an episode or movie watched if you viewed more than 5 (or some absurdly small number) minutes, and considered you to have watched the show if you saw more than 2 episodes. So yeah, streaming "ratings" are insanely inflated.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My understanding of the business strategy is that their numbers show that everyone watches this stuff on <month. So practically they don't care if you watch it through, just that you were interested enough to try it in the first place. As long as they keep gaining your interest month after month to keep you subscribing they don't really care how satisfied you are. Of course some degree of satisfaction is necessary and hit shows help bring people back and lure in new people. But like, if you quit half way through Hamilton Disney didn't lose any money. And ideally to their plan you went and checked something else out so Disney+ was more than a 1 stop shop.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have subscribed and unsubscribed twice to D+. The second time I subscribed was just to watch Hamilton (which I didn’t hate, we said we would finish it later and we never did). That said I didn’t watch a single other thing during that month. I do plan to come back once most of The Mandalorian season 2 is out.

But I am not it’s target audience. My kids are grown, I don’t like most Marvel movies (especially The Avengers), and they will never offer adult content to compete with other streaming services. Still I am sure they will come up show or two to keep subscribing a couple of months a year,

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Hamilton was the kind of thing where the level of hype took what I would have probably just mildly disliked and turned it into something I actively hated.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think... and I'm the furthest thing from an expert on this subject... that they'd consider it a success that someone who isn't in their market subscribed for Hamilton. It would be a bigger success if you had hung around but it drew your attention when the other stuff wasn't enough to get you to drop your $7. Which is the long game for these services as I understand it. Its a numbers game.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Disney+ is a service I like to use, but I'd never pay for it myself. I have a bunch of nieces and nephews so we all just piggyback off my sister's account. Most of the stuff I've watched on there are movies I own, but it's faster to just load up on Disney+ than go digging through my shelves for the DVD or BD.

It's pretty handy for throwing on a Marvel movie I haven't seen yet to half watch, I guess. But tbh a lot of Marvel movies are still on Netflix in Canada anyway.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This virtual Emmys is actually p good

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Josh Lyman posted:

This virtual Emmys is actually p good

They almost burned down the set in the first 10 minutes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Schitt’s Creek won the first 3 awards. Have I been missing out?

Schlonged Again
Jan 30, 2016

Well, this is exciting...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Schitt’s Creek has won every award so far. Did voting get messed up?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It got a lot of critical hype in the past year.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/04/schitts-creek-netflix-pop-success-story.html

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Schitt's Creek having a second finale disguised as an awards show is brilliant writing.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Schitt’s Creek is great

It’s like a warm bath while eating Oreo cookies

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj9J2ecsSpo

Kathryn Hahn and Kitty Foreman, sign me the hell up

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is great. I know I was wondering.

https://twitter.com/ramy/status/1307839905599381504?s=21

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Schitt’s Creek won the first 3 awards. Have I been missing out?

I don't think I've ever seen a jump in quality from the start of the show to the end of the first season. The beginning of the show was absolutely dreadful in my opinion before it figured out what it wanted to be.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Schitt's Creek is a show that keeps getting better imho. It's as much about character development as it is a comedy-- hell most of the comedy comes from that.

And yeah, it takes a handful of episodes to properly find its footing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What is the Kominsky method. It's one of those fake shows with elaborate fan wikis.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

What is the Kominsky method. It's one of those fake shows with elaborate fan wikis.

It’s a Chuck Lorre show so that’s all you need to know.

Also, hell yes Jeremy Strong and Zendaya

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just looked up some of the Emmy winners and how did Watchmen lose for directing

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Arist posted:

I just looked up some of the Emmy winners and how did Watchmen lose for directing

Probably split votes because they had multiple episodes nominated.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

esperterra posted:

Schitt's Creek is a show that keeps getting better imho. It's as much about character development as it is a comedy-- hell most of the comedy comes from that.

And yeah, it takes a handful of episodes to properly find its footing.

This is the true shine of Schitt’s Creek. You watch those first couple of episodes and think “who wants to watch these assholes for very long?” and then 6 seasons later you find yourself bawling that you won’t get to hang out with them anymore

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
everyone keeps telling me how great "shitt's creek" is but it's one of those shows where i can't really identify the jokes. to me every episode is
"boy, i hate it here."
"so do i."
"does anyone want flapjacks?"
"'flapped jacks' you say? eye roll!"
"gag me!"
"fancy cars!!"
"makeup!"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

There hasn’t been a bad winner yet. I don’t necessarily agree with all of them but there aren’t any egregious what the gently caress moments like usual

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

So I'm assuming Catherine O'Hara finally got her loving Emmy right

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What was the last show to have a five award sweep

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Schitt's Creek winning every Emmy in that first hour is peak feel good TV.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

What was the last show to have a five award sweep

Has never happened before in the comedy category, near as I can tell.

Edit: No comedy or drama has ever run a full sweep in the 70-some years the awards have been given out, until tonight.

Timby fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 21, 2020

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

InsertPotPun posted:

everyone keeps telling me how great "shitt's creek" is but it's one of those shows where i can't really identify the jokes. to me every episode is
"boy, i hate it here."
"so do i."
"does anyone want flapjacks?"
"'flapped jacks' you say? eye roll!"
"gag me!"
"fancy cars!!"
"makeup!"

Can you point out to me when anyone involved wanted flap jacks

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The first season of Schitt’s Creek really was ultra boring and I haven’t watched any more but I guess I will now ffs!!!!!

Otherwise a pretty drat good bunch of wins

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

swickles posted:

A few years ago Netflix said they considered an episode or movie watched if you viewed more than 5 (or some absurdly small number) minutes, and considered you to have watched the show if you saw more than 2 episodes. So yeah, streaming "ratings" are insanely inflated.

That's true for their bragging press releases, but they've also said that how quickly you finish is something they monitor and would count for renewals and such.

sportsgenius86 posted:

It’s a Chuck Lorre show so that’s all you need to know.

While factually true this is also complete bullshit. It's created by Chuck Lorre, but it's not a multi-cam, it's not a laugh-track show and it's not a "go for the cheapest laugh at every opportunity" show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kominsky Method is like if Chuck Lorre made a show that was just dull instead of actively bad

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Timby posted:

Has never happened before in the comedy category, near as I can tell.

Edit: No comedy or drama has ever run a full sweep in the 70-some years the awards have been given out, until tonight.

I would have guessed Veep. I’m pretty surprised, I thought Veep had a long run of winning All the Emmys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would have guessed Veep. I’m pretty surprised, I thought Veep had a long run of winning All the Emmys.

It had a long run of Julia Louis-Dreyfus winning all the Emmys.