Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Lol what the hell. Foxtel in Aus gets every hbo show the day it airs except The Vow? Episode 2 airs on the 27th? stupid rear end service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

esperterra posted:

It had a long run of Julia Louis-Dreyfus winning all the Emmys.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking of. For some reason I thought the show itself swept at least one year (I still can’t believe it didn’t, it’s maybe the best comedy ever made)

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Man, when is that last season of Schitts Creek coming to US Netflix?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I have to give whoever's doing WandaVision credit. The first MCU-related thing I've actually been interested in seeing in a long time.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Chairman Capone posted:

I have to give whoever's doing WandaVision credit. The first MCU-related thing I've actually been interested in seeing in a long time.

Yeah, I saw the trailer and thought this is a full on comic book show. It really has potential to be weird, hilarious, and tragic.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

CBJSprague24 posted:

Does Letterkenny start to tail off in the 5th season?

I would also say that yes it very much does start to feel very forced to the point of it being nearly (unintentionally) awkward to watch.

The episodes from more recent seasons that I've sat through feel like what I'd expect from homemade amateur fanfic episodes rather than the show I remember from the first three seasons.

That sounds really harsh but the dropoff is pretty dramatic (and makes me sad).

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I thought the most recent season they did was better than the previous one, but I agree that they still have a ways to go if they want to get back to the quality of the early seasons.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dark Crystal was canceled

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sucks but I don't blame them. Show looks crazy expensive with very limited mass appeal. Frankly a lot of it just looks weird.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Davros1 posted:

What better way to celebrate that Emmy win

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davros1 posted:

as i learned this from you i hold you personally responsible

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Peeper beetle punishment for you Netflix!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98-oe66mW2s

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So the one thing I see everywhere about Schitt’s Creek is that it’s this incredibly warm-hearted show about kindness. But every episode I’ve seen (I’m onto s2 now) is just rich people being stupid selfish bellends all the time. So when does it, like.....actually become the show everyone talks about?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Hey I'm sure many of you were a fan of BSG as I was, well Michael Hogan known to many of us as Colonel Saul Tigh in Battlestar Galactica or from many other roles he has had had an accident:

quote:

On Feb. 17, 2020, everything changed drastically in our world. Michael was in Vancouver participating in a Battlestar Galactica convention, and at dinner following his day’s work, he fell and hit his head. Hard. He went to bed that night not realizing that the impact had caused a massive brain bleed. He was unable to be woken the next morning and was taken to Vancouver General Hospital and emergency surgery performed. It took 57 staples to close the part of his scull they had to remove in order to reach the damage.

The accident left him with complete paralysis on his left side, memory loss, cogntivie impairment and an inability to swallow.
Then things became incredibly more difficult during the COVID pandemic with visits by family being restricted then denied and no care team (physiotherapist,
OT, speech therapist, etc. ) allowed in.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/michael-hogan-fund

He needs help so if you loved anything the man did consider helping out. More info at that gofundme.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Keltar posted:

Hey I'm sure many of you were a fan of BSG as I was, well Michael Hogan known to many of us as Colonel Saul Tigh in Battlestar Galactica or from many other roles he has had had an accident:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/michael-hogan-fund

He needs help so if you loved anything the man did consider helping out. More info at that gofundme.

That's pretty tragic, but wtf happens with some of these actors? Burt Reynolds died broke as hell forced to do every acting job he could get until he passed. Is the plan just "work until I die" for many of these people?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
No idea about Burt, but I can’t imagine most genre/character actors can just retire at 50 and a lot of them still do stuff like cons just because it’s easy money as you age and roles dry up.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
How is work paycheck to paycheck until dead not the plan for 90% of us?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pentyne posted:

That's pretty tragic, but wtf happens with some of these actors? Burt Reynolds died broke as hell forced to do every acting job he could get until he passed. Is the plan just "work until I die" for many of these people?

Many actors / performers are not particularly street-smart and wind up entrusting their earnings and savings to people who do not have their clients' best interests at heart.

Leonard Cohen, for example, found in 2004 that his bank account had been almost completely drained (he had more than $5 million in it and out of the blue had less than $150,000), and it turned out that his business manager had been slowly embezzling money from him over the years. This forced Cohen to sell his house in Montreal, move in with his son in Los Angeles, and essentially tour non-stop starting in 2008 until about a year before his death.

Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick got taken in by Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme. Jack Nicholson got rookered by an "art dealer." Sydney Poitier got taken in by a tax shelter scheme. The guy who managed the Backstreet Boys, *NSYNC and other boy bands siphoned off basically all of their earnings in the '90s.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timby posted:

The guy who managed the Backstreet Boys, *NSYNC and other boy bands siphoned off basically all of their earnings in the '90s.

Lou Pearlman is his name, and the story of him is super crazy. As I recall he snuck in language into the contract that technically made him a sixth member of *NSYNC and allowed him to drain their earnings that way. I think he also basically gave them pocket money until they got out from under him - when they first had a major hit he made six figures, whereas the actual band was treated to a steak dinner by him.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nsync sued him to remove his sixth member thing and Backstreet Boys bought out his shares somehow. It's hilarious how nobody was questioning how one dude owned both bands and was marketing them like they were rivals to each other.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

So the one thing I see everywhere about Schitt’s Creek is that it’s this incredibly warm-hearted show about kindness. But every episode I’ve seen (I’m onto s2 now) is just rich people being stupid selfish bellends all the time. So when does it, like.....actually become the show everyone talks about?

That’s kind of the entire series arc for the Rose family

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A lot of working actors just make enough to live comfortably. Many of them have families as well. The percentage of rich actors compared to actors who need to act to make a living is p small, I would imagine.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mu Zeta posted:

It's hilarious how nobody was questioning how one dude owned both bands and was marketing them like they were rivals to each other.

Michael Jordan vs. Isaiah Thomas, Brady vs. Manning, Sosa vs. McGwire, Taylor Swift vs. Kanye, Tupac vs. Notorious BIG, Paris Hilton vs. Nicole Richie, Jay Leno vs. David Letterman ... the media, and by extension, America, love a good rivalry, no matter how manufactured.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

esperterra posted:

A lot of working actors just make enough to live comfortably. Many of them have families as well. The percentage of rich actors compared to actors who need to act to make a living is p small, I would imagine.

The Cosby actor who went viral for working at Trader Joe's said that when the Cosby rape accusations started and they pulled the show losing all the residuals was a huge blow to his income.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

pentyne posted:

The Cosby actor who went viral for working at Trader Joe's said that when the Cosby rape accusations started and they pulled the show losing all the residuals was a huge blow to his income.

The rise of the streaming services is gonna make this all way worse since they pay their non-stars very poorly (Netflix anyway) and there's no residuals

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pentyne posted:

Again, it depends on the person and how smart they are with their money. James Doohan, for example, never made huge bucks from Star Trek (since he wasn't in the opening credits, and even small residual payments didn't start coming in until the mid-'70s), but he did every convention and university speaking gig that he was offered in the 1970s that he famously said he could have retired in 1980 and never worked another day in his life, because he had squirreled away everything he had earned in the '50s and '60s and been very smart and very conservative with his limited investments.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Timby posted:

Many actors / performers are not particularly street-smart and wind up entrusting their earnings and savings to people who do not have their clients' best interests at heart.

On top of that, outside of highly rare exceptions most actors have a fairly small window of high earning potential. You're living high as Orlando Bloom circa 2005 and boom, five years later you yourself Orlando Bloom circa 2010. If you live like you're going to be a hit maker during those high-high years and burn all your cash, you'll quickly find yourself having to take whatever you can get when you're not a lead anymore, which starts a vicious cycle of making you even less desirable to cast. Character actors are better off, but this is something that plagues young leads, and especially women in the industry.

But yeah, even if you saved well during those years you can still get hosed by forces outside of your control.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s the same kind of thing with pro athletes. The number of multi millionaires is pretty small compared to all journeyman baseball players who spend their whole careers in the minors, basketball players who uproot to play anywhere that will have them, or NFL who play a year or two in the league before washing out or getting hurt with a lifetime of health bills and no life skills. But like you get distracted by the big names who make generations money.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What I don't get is how so many athletes are convinced to invest in restaurants. Like 90% of restaurants fail.

I guess you don't become a celebrity actor or pro athlete by playing things safe and conservative so why bother treating money any differently?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

STAC Goat posted:

It’s the same kind of thing with pro athletes. The number of multi millionaires is pretty small compared to all journeyman baseball players who spend their whole careers in the minors, basketball players who uproot to play anywhere that will have them, or NFL who play a year or two in the league before washing out or getting hurt with a lifetime of health bills and no life skills. But like you get distracted by the big names who make generations money.

That's why it was so important that a few years ago, the NFLPA began having mandatory financial planning sessions for rookies at training camp every year, explaining how easy it is to get taken in by bad advice, family grift, scammers and the like. It's also mind-boggling to remember how much gets taken out from the paychecks for agent commission as well as taxes.

Something that a lot of people don't realize is that there is literally no rule or regulation requiring financial advisors to act as fiduciaries, which is to say to act in their clients' best interests. During the waning years of the Obama Administration, the Department of Labor promulgated a new rule that would have required all financial advisors in the United States to act as fiduciaries. Previously, all advisors had to do was to meet a "standard of suitability," meaning that their investment recommendations had to be in line with the client's wishes. As you might imagine, this led to a lot of advisors creating a Wild West environment, guiding clients to incredibly high-risk / medium reward products, because it brought a higher commission structure for the advisor, and they never had to disclose whether those horrible investments were in the best interests of the clients. The whole reason the Department of Labor wrote the new rule was because a non-partisan study showed that biased financial advice was draining investors of more than $17 billion a year.

Unfortunately, one of the first things Mick Mulvaney did at the Office of Management and Budget was to strangle the fiduciary rule in the crib before it officially became law, and so the rule is officially dead and financial advisors are still free to operate in a highly unregulated environment.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 22, 2020

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

in ghostlier demarcations, keener sounds
Is anyone watching The Third Day on HBO? I really enjoyed the first episode: it was beautifully shot, Jude Law is great, and I have a lot of faith in the showrunner based on how excellent Utopia was. I am wondering how they're going to pull off the livestream episode on the 3rd - you really can't make that kind of thing mandatory viewing (esp at 12 hours long) to understand the series as a whole.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mu Zeta posted:

What I don't get is how so many athletes are convinced to invest in restaurants. Like 90% of restaurants fail.

I guess you don't become a celebrity actor or pro athlete by playing things safe and conservative so why bother treating money any differently?

A lot of them have never had money. At that point it's a matter of who they listen to/how much self control they have. Some people get a fiduciary and invest and save well cause they know they've only got about 15 years of big earnings, tops. Some people get conned by their agents acting as "financial advisors" to funnel cash away. Some have bands of sycophants that drain them dry during the good times then vanish when the gravy train overturns. Some just want to ride a rhinoceros at their birthday parties.

It wouldn't shock me if lots of those restaurants are either agent scams or family/friends guilting them into investing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rain Brain posted:

Is anyone watching The Third Day on HBO? I really enjoyed the first episode: it was beautifully shot, Jude Law is great, and I have a lot of faith in the showrunner based on how excellent Utopia was. I am wondering how they're going to pull off the livestream episode on the 3rd - you really can't make that kind of thing mandatory viewing (esp at 12 hours long) to understand the series as a whole.

wait, wtf

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Azhais posted:

It wouldn't shock me if lots of those restaurants are either agent scams or family/friends guilting them into investing.

It's usually the latter. Player or celebrity signs a contract for $Texas, and suddenly an uncle or brother or cousin or childhood friend comes out of the woodwork and says, "Hey, buuuuuuuuddy. You know it's always been a lifelong dream to have a restaurant of my own, right? You've always loved my cooking. Anyway, I've got my eye on a space and I've got a really solid business plan, there's no way this could lose money. I just need a stake. Eight hundred thousand dollars for the build-out and the marketing and another few hundred G's for operating costs to get it going for a few months. You can afford it, right? I mean, you just got a $5 million signing bonus."

*Player considers it, not realizing that he's only going to see about $1.3 million of that bonus after taxes and commissions.*

"Tell you what, I'll sweeten the deal for you. You can have your name on it and your picture on the sign, and you can get a cut of the profits."

*Player doesn't realize that the vast majority of restaurants fail to be profitable, but sees an investment opportunity. Three years later, the restaurant is closed and the player is out a substantial amount of money that could have been squirreled away in mutual funds or other low-risk / medium-yield opportunities.*

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Azhais posted:

A lot of them have never had money. At that point it's a matter of who they listen to/how much self control they have. Some people get a fiduciary and invest and save well cause they know they've only got about 15 years of big earnings, tops. Some people get conned by their agents acting as "financial advisors" to funnel cash away. Some have bands of sycophants that drain them dry during the good times then vanish when the gravy train overturns. Some just want to ride a rhinoceros at their birthday parties.

Shaq has a pretty good story about all the scummy business people he met starting out and how he ended up with a finance guy who told him directly "I'm gonna put your money in reasonable long term investments, 5% interest growth, set up LLCs and incorporate so you can use tax write offs for family and friend gifts etc." But that's even with being like a top 5 most famous player when drafted AND he was smart enough to not believe the first person he meets.

The NFL had a problem at one point with their new hire players going to check cashing stores to cash their 5 figure paychecks; one high value rookie never even bothered to deposit his bonus check and the coach got a call from the acct. dept asking wtf happened to that $200k check that never cleared.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Arist posted:

wait, wtf

Yeah, :same: that's loving nuts. I thought the first episode was pretty good though and now I'm really glad that my wife and I both have next Monday off holed up in a beach house with nothing at all planned for the day.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The live stream event was originally going to be even crazier with public audience participation somehow but because of COVID all that went out

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Timby posted:

Again, it depends on the person and how smart they are with their money. James Doohan, for example, never made huge bucks from Star Trek (since he wasn't in the opening credits, and even small residual payments didn't start coming in until the mid-'70s), but he did every convention and university speaking gig that he was offered in the 1970s that he famously said he could have retired in 1980 and never worked another day in his life, because he had squirreled away everything he had earned in the '50s and '60s and been very smart and very conservative with his limited investments.

Kate Mulgrew talked about how, while raising two sons, was about to lose her house when the Star Trek: Voyager job thankfully came through.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Arist posted:

wait, wtf

apparently it was supposed to be a music festival until covid happened.
Now it's all gonna be radically different and they're appat still working it out, but it's still gonna be a 12 hour livestream of an immersive theater project. Apparently they're trying to keep it separate so you don't have to watch it to understand the plot of the show itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just finished season 2 of Pen15. Much like season 1, it was really funny but also really heartfelt and touching too.