Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm watching a Norwegian cop show called Beforeigners and while it has crazy scifi elements the weirdest thing to me as an American is that the cops just don't have guns. They don't carry them and you hardly ever see anyone shooting during the whole series. The guns are actually locked away in a safety locker and you need to get special permission to check one out and it needs to be immediately checked back in when you return to the station. There's an action scene where the main guy busts a sex trafficking ring and he does it while holding a bat or pipe or something. If this was happening on SVU I'm certain Stabler would blow away at least a few guys.

Anyway it's a fun show and apparently the first drama produced by HBO Europe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASr0n5LnWnU

Well if you have vikings you don't need guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm watching a Norwegian cop show called Beforeigners and while it has crazy scifi elements the weirdest thing to me as an American is that the cops just don't have guns. They don't carry them and you hardly ever see anyone shooting during the whole series. The guns are actually locked away in a safety locker and you need to get special permission to check one out and it needs to be immediately checked back in when you return to the station. There's an action scene where the main guy busts a sex trafficking ring and he does it while holding a bat or pipe or something. If this was happening on SVU I'm certain Stabler would blow away at least a few guys.

Anyway it's a fun show and apparently the first drama produced by HBO Europe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASr0n5LnWnU

I had never heard of this show before your post and I really, really need to watch it now. God drat that’s an awesome premise for a cop show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'll have to go through what I watched altogether this year, but I'll be very surprised if it's not in my Top 3 at the end of the year. Latest episodes especially have been so good and I'm hoping they bring the Rebecca is working against the interest of the club storyline to a close before the season ends, now that this is causing an issue for her. S2 needs to start with everyone on the same page, and a new arc for sure.

Just saw the episode description tomorrow and it looks like it relates to my spoiler - After a series of mistakes on the pitch, pressure mounts to bench Roy. Rebecca finally reveals the truth to Ted.. That makes me happy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That could just be related to the paparazzi photo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

muscles like this! posted:

It has been pretty consistent. Like no real spikes of quality but it also hasn't gone downhill either.

Really the only reason I haven't watched Bob's Burgers in a few years is I just can't be arsed to tune into Fox on Sunday nights since everything else is so dire, it's a lot easier to just pop a movie on, or hand over the controls to my roommate, and let her go willy nilly on whatever Netflix series she's into lately.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Started watching Schitt's Creek this week, about halfway through S2. It's hard to describe what I like, but it is sometimes very funny and somehow relaxing. I do love Eugene Levy, too.

Some of Alexis's scenes are still hard for me to take tho

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

TheAardvark posted:

Started watching Schitt's Creek this week, about halfway through S2. It's hard to describe what I like, but it is sometimes very funny and somehow relaxing. I do love Eugene Levy, too.

Some of Alexis's scenes are still hard for me to take tho

I think that Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara having about 40 years of practice doing comedy together helps.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The drama in PEN15 is really good this year but the comedy isn’t funny and I’m starting to wonder if s1 was even funny and I forgot that it wasn’t

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's definitely more of a drama with comedy elements than a comedy with drama elements. But when you're 13 isn't everything a drama?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
who even remembers being 13

thats like what, 8th grade?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

who even remembers being 13

thats like what, 8th grade?

Who would want to remember being 13?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If you're between 30 and 40 you should watch the cold open for the AIM episode and if that isn't enough for you then idk.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I think it was episode 3 of PEN15 that really sold me. My wife and I were howling at the 'playing Sylvanian' bits.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

With this Sunday's season 32 premiere The Simpsons will debut a new voice actor for Carl

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Simpsons should've ended 20 years ago at the very least.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I haven't watched it in like 10 years.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Family Guy got a 2 year renewal too.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm fine with that. For as nasty and mean spirited a show as it is I'd much rather watch FG than modern simpsons

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

muscles like this! posted:

I haven't watched it in like 10 years.

I have occasionally, but not on purpose. Never on purpose.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I still watch Simpsons and Family Guy every week.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GreenNight posted:

May I ask why?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

has anyone watched amazon's remake of 'utopia'? i loved the original and am curious about this new one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think I can watch a show about government conspiracies and global vaccines righ tnow

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kinda funny that Shawn Ashmore is playing a someone in "The Boys" that manipulates fire.

I also just assumed it was going to be Aaron Ashmore, but I guess the X-Men money is over.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Rageaholic posted:

May I ask why?

Momentum? Family Guy still gets me occasionally.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

GreenNight posted:

Same here. And it's also momentum for me, and because Simpsons trivia nights at bars (rip real life events) often throw in questions from recent seasons and I have to stay competitive.

No but seriously every season still has a couple real gems.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Couple dozen pages back, but catching up on this thread kinda nudged me to finally sit down and check out Midnight Diner on Netflix. This show really is my jam :allears:.

Also makes you drat hungry watching it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Couple dozen pages back, but catching up on this thread kinda nudged me to finally sit down and check out Midnight Diner on Netflix. This show really is my jam :allears:.

Also makes you drat hungry watching it.

Yakuza Sidestories: The Show.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GreenNight posted:

Momentum? Family Guy still gets me occasionally.

You could, I don't know watch something other than The Simpsons. When American Dad was still on Fox, I would just watch Nature on PBS, or have a block of Classic Simpsons via my DVDs, that was pretty great.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm watching a Norwegian cop show called Beforeigners and while it has crazy scifi elements the weirdest thing to me as an American is that the cops just don't have guns. They don't carry them and you hardly ever see anyone shooting during the whole series. The guns are actually locked away in a safety locker and you need to get special permission to check one out and it needs to be immediately checked back in when you return to the station.

It was hilarious when I saw the first episode of Watchmen and that same scenario was portrayed as crazy sci-fi.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Alhazred posted:

It was hilarious when I saw the first episode of Watchmen and that same scenario was portrayed as crazy sci-fi.

Some people in this very forum thought the cops being involved with the klan was crazy sci fi!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amazon has fastracked a The Boys spinoff which is about a superhero college.

Also Soderberg said they're working on a new season of The Knick, which is loving awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uruYyBjtq0Q

TV shows in the time of Covid

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 25, 2020

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm guessing the Knick S3 is going to be on HBO Max? It's not like Cinemax is doing any new programming.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

I'm guessing the Knick S3 is going to be on HBO Max? It's not like Cinemax is doing any new programming.

Dunno. Seasons 1 and 2 aren't, which is a shame because I feel like very few people watched it and it's one of the more interesting period dramas I've ever seen.

quote:

“Yeah. [André] and Barry took that on,” he confirmed, suggesting he would only stay on in an executive producer role as he usually does with projects he passes on to others like ‘GFE.’ “I told them, ’Look, I had, I had my shot. Godspeed, take it in whatever direction you want.’”

Soderbergh even confirmed that original creators, showrunners, and writers Jack Amiel and Michael Begler were back on board and had already written a pilot episode. “[André and Barry] came up with a really great approach with Jack and Michael,” he explained. “And that seems to be advancing rapidly. I just read the pilot, which is terrific.”

I asked Soderbergh if Jenkins would direct the new ‘Knick’ series, or parts of it, but he didn’t want to speak on the filmmaker’s behalf.

“I’m very passive on that,” he said. “That’s all Barry’s baby.” Barry Jenkins, the balls in your court. And speaking of courts, before I could ask if Cinemax is back in the mix, greenlit, or would host the new series again, Soderbergh also revealed that a sequel to “High Flying Bird”— perhaps an indirect one, however— was definitely happening with a script already written.

“I also just read the new draft of what André and I consider the follow-up to “High Flying Bird,” he continued. “That’s really strong and incredibly timely, but it’s slightly different. It’s still sports, but it, but in a different context and I read it thinking, ‘Well, this all should happen soon. We need to like hit the gas pedal right now.’”

I’d noted that “High Flying Bird” took on a second life in a similar way to the way “Contagion” did during the pandemic. “Yeah, in a slightly smaller way, but certainly the core idea was within the air,” he explained. “[A sequel] was something that we were already interested in, but because of COVID and Black Lives Matter, suddenly, the power that the players have became really obvious. It was exciting to see them use it for change and to create awareness. They weren’t using it to line their pockets. I was riveted. I wanted to know more about all these conversations that led up to them going on strike.”

Soderbergh also confirmed that he wouldn’t be directing, but that he and Holland were already eyeing new talent to take over. “It needs to be done like immediately, and I’ve got two [movies] back to back that are already ready to go,” he explained as the reason he wouldn’t return to the directing chair. “So, André and I are talking about who we want to approach, right now.”

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Family Guy they've also announced the new voice for Cleveland Brown and they went with a guy named Arif Zahir who apparently got noticed from doing impressions of Cleveland on YouTube.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Amazon has fastracked a The Boys spinoff which is about a superhero college.

Super Duper?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm thinking it's going to be their mutant spoof G-Men

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Some people in this very forum thought the cops being involved with the klan was crazy sci fi!

Wow.

I have nothing to add, that just blew my mind on a bunch of levels.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

It's gonna be about super duper super men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

STAC Goat posted:

Wow.

I have nothing to add, that just blew my mind on a bunch of levels.

It’s not really that surprising, just sad. Grade school history basically ends at Reconstruction and the bulk of what you’re taught about civil rights and the Jim Crow era south focuses on the 60s. I wasn’t even aware of the Tulsa poo poo until I saw the show, and I’ve probably read more US history than the average viewer. It’s just something that’s been largely ignored by pop history until the last decade or so.

It honestly says more about the state of US education than the viewers.