Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

I am a social justice wizard

oh shi--

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

muscles like this! posted:

Looks like CW is trying to do a Nancy Drewniverse by doing a backdoor pilot for an updated Tom Swift series in s2. Expect a Hardy Boys and Bobbsey Twins update in a couple of years.

That's a weird decision, the Hardy Boys are a much more natural spin off candidate because they have a long history with Nancy Drew. Though I suppose the CW isn't looking to jump right back into the detective brothers game. Still, Tom Swift seems hard to pull off on a CW budget.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Simone Magus posted:

The first episode of The Undoing is entertaining and all but I have no idea where it's going

I saw disappointed they killed off my two favorite characters (.)(.) in the first episode, but I'm pretty sure this is just basically Big Little Lies again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://youtu.be/9WfZuNceFDM

Oh god my brain is breaking a bit

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Looks like CW is trying to do a Nancy Drewniverse by doing a backdoor pilot for an updated Tom Swift series in s2. Expect a Hardy Boys and Bobbsey Twins update in a couple of years.

Is Tom Swift the same as Tom Swifties?

"Honey inspires me" Tom said bemused.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

This has almost 22 million views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjfElJ2RJsU

tv is dead why even try

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Cael posted:

https://twitter.com/WBLooneyTunes/status/1321498562937630722?s=20

Animaniacs already looking great, and this is the icing on the cake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke0Ert_GaBY

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s super cheesy but the moment in the finale of The Queen’s Gambit where she sees the board on the ceiling without being hosed up and the music gets all stirring and poo poo was legitimately emotional

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

"Brave New World" was cancelled by Peacock.

What a wet fart of a streaming service launch.

What's funny is they are attempting to sell it to other outlets, but Universal is the owner of it. That's quite the sales pitch "We don't think this thing is good enough to fund on our own streaming service, but will you please pay us money for it?"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't watch This Is Us but this season they are doing the whole pandemic thing....why would anyone want to watch that right now

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

I don't watch This Is Us but this season they are doing the whole pandemic thing....why would anyone want to watch that right now

Because FEEEEEELINGSSSSSS

I despise that show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Connors is also doing covid story line and it's actually pretty good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was talking to my mom the other day and she said they started the 100. I gave them the usual caveats about how it's a CW show, etc. and I added that I don't know if my dad would like it because he's not a big sci fi guy. They had just finished Lucifer and my mom said that actually he'd been enjoying science fiction stuff lately because it's so far removed from Our Hellish Reality. She said they saw previews for This Is Us (a show they like) and everyone's wearing masks so they know it's going to be a covid focused season and both of them agreed they didn't want to watch a show remotely related to the hellworld.

And I agree, when this is all over, four or five years from now they're gonna start making pandemic focused shows and films and I don't want any part of that. None of this is entertaining.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's absolutely going to be a pandemic show with COVID-23 or some poo poo that kills instantly and somebody is writing that treatment right now and needs to be pushed out a 10th story window.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

socialsecurity posted:

I saw disappointed they killed off my two favorite characters (.)(.) in the first episode, but I'm pretty sure this is just basically Big Little Lies again.

The summary on some sites says that the series is about how Hugh Grant is responsible for a "widespread disaster"

I'm probably reading too hopefully into that but it sounds like a way larger scale thing than BLL

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

There's absolutely going to be a pandemic show with COVID-23 or some poo poo that kills instantly and somebody is writing that treatment right now and needs to be pushed out a 10th story window.

Entertainment Weekly has our first look at the Michael Bay-produced covid-19 action/romance, Songbird, set in 2024 where the viral disease has mutated into the even deadlier covid-23

https://ew.com/movies/songbird-first-look-k-j-apa

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I have to say, as a kid my local library had all the 1950s Tom Swift Jr. books and I loved them. The evolution of technology in them is pretty funny, though. One of the first books is him racing to design a simple chemical rocket to reach orbit, a few books later he's building a giant antigravity space cruiser to reach the moon first.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know I read a couple of the 80s/90s revamp when I was a kid but I couldn't tell you anything about them. The only thing I remember is that in one he had invented a flying surfboard that only worked over a special magnetic track that you could lay down using paint.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Entertainment Weekly has our first look at the Michael Bay-produced covid-19 action/romance, Songbird, set in 2024 where the viral disease has mutated into the even deadlier covid-23

https://ew.com/movies/songbird-first-look-k-j-apa

Ewwwww

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The andromeda strain 2 when

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New Bowie biopic looking good
https://twitter.com/JamesUrbaniak/status/1321856176154243072

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

This is a weird role for Marc Maron to bother with.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

This is a weird role for Marc Maron to bother with.

Yeah I'm sure he's just fighting off offers left and right.

Excellent work, though, Urbaniak!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm probably not going to pay for Peacock Premium until MacGruber comes out next year.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is there a "Recommend me some poo poo to watch" thread? I'm down in the dumps, and want to watch something funny, and I guess I grew up because DBZ Abridged ain't doing poo poo for me. I just want something like that I guess, funny with action scenes, anime is ok.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Boba Pearl posted:

Is there a "Recommend me some poo poo to watch" thread? I'm down in the dumps, and want to watch something funny, and I guess I grew up because DBZ Abridged ain't doing poo poo for me. I just want something like that I guess, funny with action scenes, anime is ok.

I don't think we have a general recommendations thread r/n actually, but if anime is fine we do have The Anime on Netflix thread, which isn't super active but idk you might find something? or the Latest thing you've been binge watching thread might score some ideas.

People probably going to throw some recs at you in here tho now that you've mentioned you need something to watch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

Good Place. It's a happy time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Funny+action scenes+anime= Mob Psycho 100.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Funny+action scenes+anime= Mob Psycho 100.

Overlord is funny too. I despise anime in fact it's the only one I've found funny every.

Castlevania isn't a laugh riot but it's got plenty of funny moments, plus it's really good with great action.

As an aside - has anyone watched the Blood of Zeus netflix anime, it looks like it's from the same studio as CV

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

So good.

If you want funny with action scenes, Person of Interest is the first thing that comes to mind but it’s not streaming anymore as far as I know. It’s not like, hilarious but it’s a good action show that has an actual sense of humor when it needs to.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GreenNight posted:

Was going to recommend this, yeah. And it should be on Netflix! Though idk if that's just because I'm Canadian.

Party Down is another show I'd def recommend, and it's not much of a time investment, but idk the availability of it these days since I just fall back on my pirated copies from forever ago.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's definitely on Netflix. If you want grosser and more action humor, Happy! is also on Netflix.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its Halloween and Ash vs Evil Dead is on Netflix and uproarious fun and crazy action if you're good with gore and gross out humor.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Santa Clarita Diet is another hilarious show that has some action to it, though it's more gore played for laughs than any fights or anything. Also sadly not much of a time investment due to being cancelled recently. But it's so worth watching imo.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Party Down is definitely a great show to throw on and laugh at for a while if you need a little pick me up. 20 episodes total, 30 minutes each, all hilarious and with heart as well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

It's definitely on Netflix. If you want grosser and more action humor, Happy! is also on Netflix.

Happy! Is so good. I really need to watch season 2 again, since I saw it with a 103 degree fever. That might also be the best way to have seen it since the first word I would use to describe the show is “delirious”.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

Funny with action:
Lethal Weapon (3 seasons)
Stumptown (1 season; recently cancelled)
DC's Legends of Tomorrow (5 seasons)
12 Monkeys (4 seasons; more of a sci-fi drama, but plenty of action with good comic relief)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 29, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Funny with action:
Lethal Weapon (3 seasons)
Stumptown (1 season; recently cancelled)
DC's Legends of Tomorrow (6 seasons)
12 Monkeys (4 seasons; more of a sci-fi drama, but plenty of action with good comic relief)

Start with season three.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Start with season three.

My favorite character is mostly just in Season 1, but I'd recommend seeing how much you like Season 1 (which is the most uneven and least silly-fun overall), and if you absolutely must skip ahead, skip to Season 2. Definitely don't miss Season 2.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Season 1 Legends is bad but there's a lot of important character development stuff in there and Legends is a confusing enough thing to watch with all the Arrowverse continuity without skipping a season of two of its own continuity. And I mean, S1 isn't unwatcheable or anything. Its just a silly CW procedural with a bad central villain/Hawkman. Its still time travel stuff and the basic blueprint.

Most of the people who are like deeply anti S1 are people who were watching multiple seasons of the Arrowverse and gradually growing to hate all of it. I doubt it affects someone the same way as just the first rough season of a fun show.