Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Can't wait to see what Mike Judge thinks about those damned Gen Z kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Chuckles
Apr 28, 2013
Just finished The Good Place. Are there any other shows on streaming right now that scratch the same itch in terms of somewhat lighthearted character-based comedy?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

Ugh, in addition to sounding terrible, this means that Beavis scored at some point. That's not supposed to happen.

Though it would be funny if both Beavis's and Butt-head's kids both looked like Butt-head.

I'm not sure where you pulled that quote from but I'm not seeing anyone else saying that which sounds like someone got their message wrong.

PostNouveau posted:

They've been talking about getting that off the ground for years now. Looks like they completely excised Daria from it. It makes sense. If they've got a specific experience in mind that they want to explore, having the big-name character dominate it would take away from that.

That said though, once there's no Daria, why not just make it an original character? Jodie was alright, but I only remember a couple of storylines. She wasn't exactly fully realized. Seems like it's just a marketing gimmick at this point.

Yeah, it does seem like it is one of those times where they took a similar project that was unrelated and kind of just bolted on the connection to an existing series because saying "Its a Daria spin-off" gets you more attention than if you are just making a cartoon about a black college student.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Last time they did some music videos, some youtubes, and some reality shows from MTV. It was really good.

I don't care for Deena.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

I'm not sure where you pulled that quote from but I'm not seeing anyone else saying that which sounds like someone got their message wrong.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news/beavis-and-butt-head-reimagining-comedy-central-1023097/

But you're right that that isn't mentioned in any other article, with some articles going a step further to specifically say there's no information yet on whether B&B will still be teenagers or have kids of their own, so hopefully it's wrong info.

EDIT: Also the B&B revival from '08 or whenever was actually really funny so I hope they're just doing that again.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Senator Chuckles posted:

Just finished The Good Place. Are there any other shows on streaming right now that scratch the same itch in terms of somewhat lighthearted character-based comedy?

I really dug Miracle Workers: Dark Ages for these reasons, though they're going for different things.

e: vvv yeah that too

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 1, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Senator Chuckles posted:

What We Do in the Shadows

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, it does seem like it is one of those times where they took a similar project that was unrelated and kind of just bolted on the connection to an existing series because saying "Its a Daria spin-off" gets you more attention than if you are just making a cartoon about a black college student.

I know it's not entirely that because it was in the works for a long time, and it was gonna be "Daria & Jodie" for forever, but it definitely seems like they've kept the Daria without Daria branding simply as a cynical ploy because the execs think they need it to get white viewers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news/beavis-and-butt-head-reimagining-comedy-central-1023097/

But you're right that that isn't mentioned in any other article, with some articles going a step further to specifically say there's no information yet on whether B&B will still be teenagers or have kids of their own, so hopefully it's wrong info.

EDIT: Also the B&B revival from '08 or whenever was actually really funny so I hope they're just doing that again.

Other articles all say something about bridging the gap between Gen X and Gen Z and it looks like Rolling Stone extrapolated that to be since Beavis and Butthead are Gen X that means they have kids.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Senator Chuckles posted:

i'm 5 seasons in to 30 Rock in the last 2 weeks so I will recommend that

btw, 5 seasons in to 30 Rock, my favorite scene is still Jack portraying all of Tracy's family during therapy

e: its free on prime and hulu

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 1, 2020

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Beavis & Butthead will do the floss dance.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Beavis and Butthead were always weirdo outsiders so I can see them not changing that much. Most of the changes will probably be to their classmates.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
40 Year old Beavis and Butthead still in High school with Gen Zers certainly has potential.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Beavis and Butthead were always weirdo outsiders so I can see them not changing that much. Most of the changes will probably be to their classmates.

So they posted on Something Awful back in it's hey day?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Stuart is a Zuckerberg like tech magnate

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Holy poo poo. This is absolutely nuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmpFypaGkKE

An entire Blazing Saddles TV show was apparently in production for 4 years with no intention of ever being aired, just to get around a sequel clause in Mel Brooks' contract. Only one episode of which has ever seen the light of day as a DVD bonus. I think I may have heard about it, but just assumed it was a pilot. Not 4 goddamn seasons. I hope the elements still exist somewhere. Not that anyone would likely watch them if they released this, but for some reason I still want it to be out there.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 1, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

feedmyleg posted:

Holy poo poo. This is absolutely nuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmpFypaGkKE

An entire Blazing Saddles TV show was apparently in production for 4 years with no intention of ever being aired, just to get around a sequel clause in Mel Brooks' contract. Only one episode of which has ever seen the light of day as a DVD bonus. I think I may have heard about it, but just assumed it was a pilot. Not 4 goddamn seasons. I hope the elements still exist somewhere. Not that anyone would likely watch them if they released this, but for some reason I still want it to be out there.

I want to see this!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

An entire Blazing Saddles TV show was apparently in production for 4 years with no intention of ever being aired, just to get around a sequel clause in Mel Brooks' contract.

This same tactic was why Roger Corman made a Fantastic Four movie (the best Fantastic Four movie to date!)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Senator Chuckles posted:

Upload.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

This same tactic was why Roger Corman made a Fantastic Four movie (the best Fantastic Four movie to date!)

But 4 dang seasons seems exponentially crazier to me.

If Corman's FF had been a TV pilot instead of a film (and had been able to be released) I'd bet audiences of the time really would have dug it. It blows that terrible Justice League pilot out of the water for sure.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
By my math, using 26 episodes per season, that's 104 episodes of Black Bart, those are syndicated rerun numbers :psyduck:

It does make me wonder how many things are out there like that, just made with no intention of being seen just to keep the rights. Kinda makes me wish I was important enough that I could put a weird little clause in a contract to force someone to do that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

PostNouveau posted:

Also the pilot for Wheel of Time. But yeah 4 years is disheartening.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm guessing it's a legal nightmare to release some of that stuff when it comes to residuals. But if the pilot was on a DVD perhaps it's not as difficult as I'd imagine.

Plus 90% of people won't watch anything on a streaming service made before 2000, so there isn't really a good outlet for that sort of thing outside of MeTV or whatnot. I bet that antenna TV channel that only shows westerns would be on board, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

By my math, using 26 episodes per season, that's 104 episodes of Black Bart, those are syndicated rerun numbers :psyduck:

It does make me wonder how many things are out there like that, just made with no intention of being seen just to keep the rights. Kinda makes me wish I was important enough that I could put a weird little clause in a contract to force someone to do that.

Usually when that stuff happens it airs at least once because most contracts have "has to be released" in there somewhere. Which is how you have things like a Wheel of Time prequel that aired once in a paid programming timeslot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Each season only had six episodes apparently

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It states in the video that the pilot for Black Bart did air once, but none of the subsequent episodes. I wonder if they even bothered editing the later episodes or if they just kept the loose elements in the vault as a "just in case."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brooks says he saw three episodes so they probably finished everything.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brooks says he saw three episodes so they probably finished everything.

And per the linked video, it would have been for legal reasons if the episodes needed to be viewed in court.

That of course makes me giggle, having a court room watch up to 24 episodes of a marginally passable TV series never meant to be seen by anyone.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

B&B are parodies of Gen X youth so assuming Mike Judge isn't due for another tight-wing tilt with his politics there could be a lot of comedy to mine out of a two carefree idiot slackers clashing with a generation whose defining trait is caring about stuff. But on the other hand the entire YouTube ecosystem today's kids and teens grew up with is built around idiots riffing on other peoples' media so I really don't think they have anything to offer younger people who have no nostalgia for MTV.

PostNouveau posted:

I think my favorite is when a septuagenarian Warren Beatty made a glorified clip show that only aired once in 2010 just to keep the Dick Tracy rights from reverting back to the comics syndicate. Because it's such a nothingburger of a program about an IP nobody has any affection for but the dude getting into character again after all these years was enough to convince the courts that he actually gave enough of a poo poo to keep the rights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdFbiRK-UaY

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Is that Wendi McLendon-Covey

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

bull3964 posted:

Mad Men has found its new streaming home and it's.....IMDB?

Seems weird for a prestige show like that to land on an ad riddled streaming service.

When I first discovered IMDB I loved looking for people who randomly in different movies that I loved. General Veers from Empire Strikes Back is Donovan in Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade!

Now as an old goon I like rating episodes of shows so I can keep track of which one I'm on when shows invariably switch streaming services before I finish them.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Senator Chuckles posted:

The Other Two which aired on Comedy Central last year didn't get the praise it deserves. You think based on the premise that the show is going to be super cynical and nasty but the show has real heart and is genuinely funny.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 2, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is that Wendi McLendon-Covey

Yes

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

feedmyleg posted:

I mean dropping the music video thing entirely. Just them watching Bon Apetit episodes and videos of cats jumping out of boxes.

e:

Ah, skipped that version. At least it's willing to evolve with the times and not pretend it's still the early 90s.

You should check it out: there's a great episode where they see the Twilight movies and try to turn into supernaturals by getting bit by a "werewolf" (aka an insane person with Hep C). They also take a field trip to a military base and play "the new GTA" (aka drone strike random powerplants).

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

oh no i forgot he's a chud now :smith:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Looten Plunder posted:

The Other Two which aired on Comedy Central last year didn't get the praise it deserves. You think based on the premise that the show is going to be super cynical and nasty but the show has real heart and is genuinely funny.

It’s super good. Drew Tarver is just great in everything he does/sings.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

B&B are parodies of Gen X youth so assuming Mike Judge isn't due for another tight-wing tilt with his politics there could be a lot of comedy to mine out of a two carefree idiot slackers clashing with a generation whose defining trait is caring about stuff. But on the other hand the entire YouTube ecosystem today's kids and teens grew up with is built around idiots riffing on other peoples' media so I really don't think they have anything to offer younger people who have no nostalgia for MTV.

I think my favorite is when a septuagenarian Warren Beatty made a glorified clip show that only aired once in 2010 just to keep the Dick Tracy rights from reverting back to the comics syndicate. Because it's such a nothingburger of a program about an IP nobody has any affection for but the dude getting into character again after all these years was enough to convince the courts that he actually gave enough of a poo poo to keep the rights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdFbiRK-UaY

Oh my god

How often does he have to do these to keep the rights? Will we get one with an 85-year-old Warren Beatty?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Watching It's Okay to Not be Okay episode 3 and I really like the partnership between some Korean companies and Netflix in terms of what Netflix has decided to air to a wider non Korean speaking audience.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is the Alias spy show from JJ Abrams any good? All I know about it is that the lady wears a lot of pink hair and that Tom Cruise loved the show and is the main reason why JJ was hired to do Mission Impossible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

Is the Alias spy show from JJ Abrams any good? All I know about it is that the lady wears a lot of pink hair and that Tom Cruise loved the show and is the main reason why JJ was hired to do Mission Impossible.

It has some good spy stuff going on sometimes but it also has a really dumb mytharc about the inventions of a renaissance inventor that is so overly complicated that even the people writing at times didn't know what the hell they were doing. But when it's not doing that it's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The complete series is $25 on iTunes. Tempting. I need more spy shows. Condor looks ok but it's on some nothing network nobody heard of.