Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

So it looks like a filmed stage play?

It looks a lot better than the Narnia adaptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is there a thread for hamilton anywhere

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I hated LMM before it was cool because my brother would play the In the Heights soundtrack over and over again when we were driving together and he wouldn't let me control the stereo

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The only good Hamilton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR5YzU8y-jA

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

nothingburger.

speaking of digging up artifacts from 2016

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

mark hamilton the bad guy? Peter Stormare the good guy? :monocle:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Azhais posted:

Isn't DC's service already on the chopping block?

Everything seems to be crossing over to HBO, where it would all find more of an audience anyway. DC Universe just being unlimited comics (like Marvel’s offering) would make sense.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Milo and POTUS posted:

How was the rest of it?

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s very “BBC fantasy show”.

Mu Zeta posted:

So it looks like a filmed stage play?

It looks like an episode of Doctor Who, but Doctor Who doesn't really take on topics like child soldiers and suicide so it's a strange juxtaposition.

It was really good once you got past it looking like a family show, but LMM is not very good in this. He really deflates every scene: whoever said something like theater boy tries to steal the show was spot on...

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Boxman posted:

Everything seems to be crossing over to HBO, where it would all find more of an audience anyway. DC Universe just being unlimited comics (like Marvel’s offering) would make sense.

DC Universe is going to last a while, mainly because of the comics. VRV would probably go away first, if we’re talking WarnerMedia.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Today I watched Hamilton during an exhausting 6 hour train ride. I really liked the voices of the female singers and most of the songs were quite good, probably because I am not into actual rap. It was a decent way to spend some time I desperately wanted to pass.

But yeah, it feels a bit too glorifying for a bunch of white slavers who were desperate to evade taxes... Also depicting the lack of support for France against England as a clever and good decision rather than an act of betrayal was uncomfortable. Most Americans probably don't even know that the revolution was pretty much a proxy war. The only reason France didn't come to collect afterwards was the fact that they had some struggles of their own.

And even if he may have been smart, Hamilton was kind of an idiot if he actually agreed to a duel after his son already had an unnecessary death this way.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 5, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hamilton is a huge rear end in a top hat in the John Adams miniseries on HBO. It's a lot of fun.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, that's a good call. When I do get around to subscribing to Disney+ and watching Hamilton I should totally make myself FINALLY watch John Adams too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I have been meaning to find that John Adams miniseries streaming somewhere for like a year

Is he a big loving failure in it like he's depicted in Hamilton? Because with Paul Giamatti playing him, sounds like a lot of fun.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The show is about how John Adams is underappreciated, flaws and all.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

The show is about how John Adams is underappreciated, flaws and all.

Eh, OK. I've heard good things.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

PostNouveau posted:

I have been meaning to find that John Adams miniseries streaming somewhere for like a year

It’s a HBO miniseries, so should be on HBO Max.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

The John Adams miniseries rules, a rewatch is a solid idea

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Finished Californication, enjoyed the last season and finale quite a bit. I heard bad things about the last season but I thought it was one of the best overall.

I’m continuing my streak of finishing shows that have been languishing on my watch list. About halfway through the last season of Modern Family. It’s so weird to see commercials and stuff from before COVID.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
is there an I'll Be Gone in the Dark thread

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Hey TVIV goons, I have a code for a year of US Britbox I can’t use (requires a US credit card to set up an account, and I live elsewhere). I got mod approval to give it away, so if you want it, send me a PM telling me your favourite UK show or why Love Island UK is superior to the Australian version or something. I’ll pick someone about 20 hours from now and send them the code.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

escape artist posted:

is there an I'll Be Gone in the Dark thread

I didn't know this was a thing and I'm watching the first episode now and the name Michelle McNamara didn't click until Patton Oswalt first showed up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh God, I think Lucas saint convinced me to watch Beastars

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Hamilton is a huge rear end in a top hat in the John Adams miniseries on HBO. It's a lot of fun.

First thing I ever saw Rufus Sewell do

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

zoux posted:

DARK CITY!?
:vince:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

Dark City, son

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I'll Be Gone in the Dark could've been told in 1/6 of the time. It's very boring to look at, also McNamara is a hack writer and a charisma void. Standard true crime stuff.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

anatomi posted:

I'll Be Gone in the Dark could've been told in 1/6 of the time. It's very boring to look at, also McNamara is a hack writer and a charisma void. Standard true crime stuff.

drat dude, are you like the killers son or something?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I'll tell you all about it in the back of my van.

Edit: Patton Oswalt is not my father.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/McHenryJD/status/1280142066417307649

Going great over at Quibi

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Oh wow I never thought of it before but QuiBi (QuickBites) does sound like a loving delivery app :laffo:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hulu keeps spamming me with Quibi ads for The Most Dangerous Game, and I'm just like "meh"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The whole article is great

quote:

When Shrek came out,” Katzenberg says, “there were people that said, ‘Really?’ That kind of satirical take on a classic fairy tale. ‘How dare you?’ There were people who were highly critical of Lion King, Three Men and a Baby — the amount of people who assaulted those films when they came out.”

Who can forget the massive anti Shrek marches of 2001

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Quibi is such a perfect failure

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The best part is where they cancelled a show that was gonna be one of their big headliners because it turned into a powerful self-own

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I didn't realize that quibi was Latin for failure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/attn/status/1277976628593713154

Good lord

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oh wow. That's impressively low effort and budget and quality

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Their opening "slammer" avocado toast joke felt like a rough draft template they forgot to finish writing. They couldn't even think of examples for either half of their joke, like someone making fun of someone else for not knowing how government works, but they also don't, so they throw out a random schoolhouse rock lesson.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm the twenty year old Oprah joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

Hamilton is a huge rear end in a top hat if you ever read any of his letters as well. One where Burr asked him to recant what he had said he responded with basically "You'll have to be more specific, I've talked so much poo poo about you I can't remember exactly what you're asking me to apologize for" so it's no wonder he got shot.